• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
guaranteed CL group stage?
That is minor. Neither Arsenal nor Spurs would have that much trouble qualifying as we did this season when he beat Udinese home and away.

Getting top 4 is WAY more important. Scrap for 3rd = luxury at this stage imo. Just finish in the top 4. And Spurs better beat Chelsea in 2 weeks. We've killed off the Newcastle and Liverpool challenges imo as I feel they are now too far behind. Only Chelsea to go and hopefully Man City and Spurs can do the job on them so they can fuck off as well.

Messi

Carles Puyol tweeted this amazing picture:

scaled.php

Holy shit, is there anything he can't do?

GorillaJu

The Guardian going deeper and deeper into tabloid territory is where I disapprove. I wrote a reply on the last page or so since this article has already been linked where I covered his comments.

The results and the performances have been shitty for us, but that article is just the Guardian trying to stir the pot and I don't think there's anything to approve or disapprove there in regards to what Kenny's saying. He's right that every aspect of the club minus our position in the tables has seen massive improvement. The Suàrez to PSG link is bullshit, too, but the Guardian doesn't even bother to keep things in context, opting to phrase it in the most controversial way possible.

"You can measure it by how the club has progressed and where it is, from the first team to the kids. Off the pitch, especially, the club is a lot stronger than what it was. You go off the pitch and see how much money we are getting through sponsorship and kit deals [the club signed a deal with US-based Warrior Sports in January worth a potential £300m over six years].

"You look at the academy and see how much better it is. You look around here [at Melwood] and most of the people have got a smile on their faces now. The squad is stronger than it was last year. What other areas are there to improve on – apart from points?"​

So basically he is admitting everyone at the club has done their part and done it well, the accounting department to the academy, except the one responsible for the points; the manager. Doesn't he realise the criticism of the team is in fact an indirect way to point the finger at him. Seems unlike Kenny to misread this

Salazar

I don't think there's anything to approve or disapprove there in regards to what Kenny's saying.

I think he definitely has a point about certain aspects of Liverpool improving. And I agree that the "kit deals are as good as points" headline is Daily Mail standard.

But

"There are many ways you can judge a season and the best way is progress at the football club as a whole. I don't think it necessarily relates to trophies or points.

Of course it necessarily relates to points. Points are the ultimate. I think the expedient measurement from Kenny Dalglish's point of view is one that takes everything into account. Roping in administrative changes to dilute the tang of on-pitch failure and a string of piss-poor transfers is a bit odd.

GorillaJu

Of course he realizes it. Why should he have to answer for himself to the press? What good does it do anyone to say "Oh yeah, we've been shit lately and I might get fired?"

The press are not people to be respected.

He's right that we're in a better place with a stronger squad and better, stabler finances. The puzzle isn't complete and it's unfortunate that we won't meet our goal this year but we won a trophy and with the positive changes under Kenny and the new owners there's no reason to think we won't improve in the coming seasons.

Salazar

You've got a point, inasmuch as I find the bulk of managers' interactions with the press brain-freezingly awful.

It's been mentioned that Anderson fucked his hamstring, oui ?

The question of whether Suárez remains on Merseyside, despite the sometimes self-defeating uncritical support Liverpool have given their striker over the Patrice Evra affair, may cast a shadow as the season climaxes. Dalglish dismissed Suárez's comments that he would "love to play alongside Diego Lugano" at Paris St-Germain.

Suárez may just have been responding politely to a question on French television. However, under Qatari ownership, PSG can offer the Uruguayan a massive salary and the near certainty of playing in the Champions League. At Liverpool that may be a long time coming.

I say good riddance. As much as I dislike Liverpool, I respect them enough to believe they don't need characters like neck biting hamster boy Suarez ( he's a great footballer, but character wise I don't really rate him very highly)

I say good riddance. As much as I dislike Liverpool, I respect them enough to believe they don't need characters like neck biting hamster boy Suarez ( he's a great footballer, but character wise I don't really rate him very highly)

Because ugly cave dwelling leg kicking, chest stomping Ogre boy is beaming with great character.

I think he's mocking Krul, signalling him to slow the pending goal kick down like he was earlier in the game (although to be honest I wasn't bothered by it).

After the winner, he apparently tapped at his wrist to symbolise a watch, basically telling Krul that the goal wouldn't have been scored without the 5min time added on due his time wasting earlier #irony

I don't blame RVP for going at Krul like that, I don't know if it came across on TV, but the entire stadium was pissed off with Krul by the 60th minute let alone the 95th, and there was a deafening boo everytime he even went near the ball. RVP and him were in each others faces all match, Webb had to sort the pair of them out before a couple of corners as well so it wasn't a completely unproved incident, everyone had a feeling RVP will say something to him if we scored.

No but its sitting in my cart right now. Haven't pulled the trigger yet (but did get The Glory Game and Inverting the Pyramid yesterday). And as far as team goes - haven't decided on anything yet but really loved Arsenal tonight. And as people have pointed out before they do indeed fit my criteria for a team I'd like to root for. What I really liked about them tonight though is how crazy the fans are. Lots of camaraderie and chanting and other than van Persie the rest of the players seemed like decent, sportsman like players.

Brilliant to a see a new prospective fan, and Arsenal are a great team watch as well (even if I'm coming from a biased perspective) which is a huge plus when you're getting into football.

Yen

Woke up, checked FB. In my newsfeed, the Walking Dead page said "which character will you miss more? SPOILER, character a, character b"
Everton will probably beat us too.

Mastadon

Banned
Woke up, checked FB. In my newsfeed, the Walking Dead page said "which character will you miss more? SPOILER, character a, character b"
Everton will probably beat us too.

This is the least confident I've been in ages going in to a derby match. Everton have been pretty great lately.

Salazar

Anybody who wants to borrow an mutv login is welcome.

Especially Liverpool-GAF.

From watching a stack of reserves stuff, it will hopefully be time for Petrucci's loan period/Carling Cup games next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom