• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IPpT4.gif
It's alright, we have a Dash 2.0 here
IPpT4.gif

Who?

Well the video itself was embarrassing. But this is the biggest club in the world. Pretty funny to have Marcelo telling their fans "to be his skill" *looks up* ahead of such a massive game.

I'm pretty sure they did something similar last season too.

The Rennes manager has said Yann M'Vila will be leaving Rennes this summer. Plz Fergie. Plz. Don't want Hazard, do want M'Vila.

Yann-Mvila-Manchester-United-Tottenham-Hotspur-2011.jpg

pappe

Cristiano Ronaldo: "Berlusconi says he dreams about me, but I'm happy here. I dream as well, but not about football, about other things..."

Brilliant!

Is Ronnie covertly saying he dreams about Berlusconi in a non-football related way?

From watching a stack of reserves stuff, it will hopefully be time for Petrucci's loan period/Carling Cup games next season.
Petrucci has been looking very sharp lately. It's a shame about all the terrible injuries he's had which will have definitely stunted his development. I hear he's out of contract in the summer as the club didn't renew whilst he had so many injury issues. Hopefully his promising form recently sees his contract extended because I think he could actually make the step up to the fringes of the first team next season if he gets a good pre-season in.

Hazard will go for mind-numbingly silly money. If he goes at all. Probably sit and take the piss for another season.
Hazard's obviously talented but I'm not interested in him at all for United. We don't need him Generally our attacking options are very good and scoring goals or even creating goals isn't a problem for us. Need to invest in that CM and defence. No need to bust anything above £20m on Hazard when our budget is tight as it is. Ditto Gotze.

Cristiano Ronaldo: "Berlusconi says he dreams about me, but I'm happy here. I dream as well, but not about football, about other things..."

You missed out Ronnie's trademark line.

I have a lot of dreams but not about football. If Berlusconi has a dream, I respect that, but I'm happy here. The Italian league is not the way I like to play, although there are great clubs and great players. Nobody knows what will happen in the future."
Boy am I sick of hearing that.

Edit- Also gutted to hear Anderson is out for the season. He desperately needs a run of games and fitness, it seems every few weeks he's out for another couple of months. Feel for him.

pappe

Edit- Also gutted to hear Anderson is out for the season. He desperately needs a run of games and fitness, it seems every few weeks he's out for another couple of months. Feel for him.

I have actually given up on him. He had a nice start to the season but then as every season lost his touch and then got injured. Happened like clockwork for past 2-3 seasons now i think.

The most recent Swiss Ramble blog is about Aston Villa:

Aston Villa - Prophets And Losses

Some quality quotes:

The other issue is whether this money was wisely spent or wasted. Although some solid purchases were undoubtedly made (James Milner, Ashley Young), far too many of O’Neill’s recruits were of the journeyman variety. It is difficult to argue that players like Nigel Reo-Coker, Steve Sidwell, Curtis Davies, Zat Knight, Luke Young, Habib Beye and Emile Heskey made any sort of meaningful contribution. The high wages paid to this dross not only hurt the club directly, but also caused problems when the club tried to offload them: either they were sold at much reduced prices or they have proved impossible to shift.

Starting from 2008, when O’Neill spent an astonishing £45 million, only three clubs have spent more: Manchester City and Chelsea (obviously) plus Stoke City. In other words, over this period Villa have significantly outspent clubs like Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham – with precious little to show for it.

Let’s consider what that means: United earn £240 million more revenue than Aston Villa every season. That is a major competitive disadvantage. Although Villa’s revenue may be fairly described as being “best of the rest”, they will always struggle to break through football’s version of the glass ceiling. As McLeish admitted, “We can’t compete with the super clubs, there is no doubt about it.”

On the other hand, these figures do suggest that they should be doing an awful lot better than languishing in the lower reaches of the Premier League.

No, what has really damaged the English game’s competitive balance (at the top end) is the money available to clubs that regularly play in the lucrative Champions League, as can be seen by the graph above. Last season the four English clubs in Europe’s flagship competition (Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham) received an average of £35 million, which makes a considerable difference to their budgets, but has hurt the like of Villa and Everton.

The Europa League provides scant consolation with Liverpool and Manchester City only earning £5 million apiece in return for their strenuous efforts.

Although the revenue growth has been more than acceptable, the problem is that it pales into insignificance compared to the explosion in the wage bill from £23 million in 2007 to £83 million in 2011, leading to a rise (deterioration) in the wages to turnover ratio from 60% to a worrying 91%. That is significantly higher than the 70% upper limit recommended by UEFA and is the third highest in the Premier League, only beaten by big-spending Manchester City 114% and Bolton Wanderers 92%.

However, Villa fans will have noted that their wage bill is only £8 million less than Tottenham, who have enjoyed far more success recently, including qualification for the Champions League. As if that were not bad enough, Everton and Fulham both managed to finish ahead of Villa in last season’s Premier League, despite the fact that their wage bill is £25 million smaller.

This would back up Lerner’s assertion that he does not really consider the money that Villa owe him as debt at all, but as a form of capital investment. Indeed, most years Lerner matches the increase in loans with a similar amount injected as capital, so his total funding since he acquired the club had climbed to £230 million by May 2011 (loans £109.5 million plus £120.5 million capital), including £25 million last season alone, split evenly between debt and capital.

Overall, while there are some scary numbers in the accounting book, Lerner is an owner we don't want to go away. Hopefully we can begin to control the wage bill through using the youth coming through, and getting rid of some dead weight through sales or expiring contracts. I'd have to do some research to see where we stand on that though. I am sad to see that it looks like another few years of mid-table before we can start to see some better results. Hopefully Lerner will start putting more football-knowledgeable people around him.

Up the Villa!

Wilbur

Banned
Just bought Graham Turner's Barca book and four pages in I can almost hear Pele weeping to himself

Whoops meant hunter ITS ON THE FRONT OF THE BOOK

Clegg

Hazard plays on the wing. He does like to come infield though and play through the middle as well. He'd be a great player to have but United don't really need him. Nani and Valencia are brilliant wingers and Young is a decent back-up option. I think we're well stocked in that area.

I disagree with Viva on Gotze though. I think United should break the bank for him. He's going to be a superstar in a few years. It's very unlikely he'd leave Dortmund though.
Central midfield is the area we need more strength in though. Gotze wouldn't improve us there.

Wilbur

Banned
He's not amazing, but £15 mill. for a versatile winger who has managed 6 goals and 9 assists in 27 games in their first season isn't appalling business.

Two goals and three assists against Arsenal in an 8-2 win though makes it 4 goals and 6 assists in 26 games; he's not as bad as I've made out so far but I'm really not a fan. Suppose there's worse options.

We need at least one, maybe two centre midfielders next season though; if Scholes goes and Anderson stays eternally crocked, Carrick, Cleverley and Pogba are nowhere near enough. We need a decent back up and a fantastic marquee signing.

Fabio needs to step up as well.

Two goals and three assists against Arsenal in an 8-2 win though makes it 4 goals and 6 assists in 26 games; he's not as bad as I've made out so far but I'm really not a fan. Suppose there's worse options.

We need at least one, maybe two centre midfielders next season though; if Scholes goes and Anderson stays eternally crocked, Carrick, Cleverley and Pogba are nowhere near enough. We need a decent back up and a fantastic marquee signing.

Fabio needs to step up as well.

I don't know if that is a fair statement. You shouldn't take out a player's goal and assist tally just because it wasn't as impactful to the game.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't know if that is a fair statement. You shouldn't take out a player's goal and assist tally just because it wasn't as impactful to the game.

I'm not disputing his influence on that game, it's just skewed a bit. Like Berba last season, played 30 odd games and scores 20 goals, but 8 of them came in two games. I'll love him for it but it doesn't necessarily reflect his full contribution

I'm on the fence about buying the Arsenal away jersey but I was wondering if I should buy it now or wait. Don't know how it usually goes with jerseys at the end of the season. Are the 11-12 kits just going to be replaced by the 12-13 kits or will the remaining 11-12 kits be on sale for a bit?

sixghost

I'm not disputing his influence on that game, it's just skewed a bit. Like Berba last season, played 30 odd games and scores 20 goals, but 8 of them came in two games. I'll love him for it but it doesn't necessarily reflect his full contribution

Didn't 3 of the 8 goals you don't want to count come in a game where he scored all 3 united goals in a 3-2 vs Liverpool?

Those don't count now?

Young is a good third winger. He was a bit over priced especially considering he was in the last year of his contract and his wage seem steep, but that's football these days.

He has been patchy but he's won us games no doubt. He's got 9 assists in the league to his name, as many as Valencia and Giggs. I don't like him as a player in terms of style and I don't see him being top class, but he's done well for his first season on the whole.

So what's the rivalry like between Liverpool and Everton? I know Everton hasn't won at Anfield in awhle but are these guys kind of neutral towards each other or is it gonna be tense?

Lunchbox

Banned
He's not amazing, but £15 mill. for a versatile winger who has managed 6 goals and 9 assists in 27 games in their first season isn't appalling business.
rather have valencia, nani playing over him anyday. even park can run around closing people down against teams like arsenal

young is just a luxury, and damn frustrating to watch. his decision making is walcott like. yeah he'll score the odd goal but then be shit for 80 mins. didnt want him in the first place, still dont like him

Mastadon

Banned
So what's the rivalry like between Liverpool and Everton? I know Everton hasn't won at Anfield in awhle but are these guys kind of neutral towards each other or is it gonna be tense?

Tense as they come! one of the most fiercely contested local derbies around. You're in for a treat.

Anderson will get one more season, at least. His final season at Old Trafford, I think.

I'm pretty sure they did something similar last season too.

The Rennes manager has said Yann M'Vila will be leaving Rennes this summer. Plz Fergie. Plz. Don't want Hazard, do want M'Vila.

Yes, please. Him or Javi Martinez would be my pick. Both ooze class and composure in central midfield. Hazard or Gaitan or whatever should be secondary to signing players like them this summer.

Petrucci has been looking very sharp lately. It's a shame about all the terrible injuries he's had which will have definitely stunted his development. I hear he's out of contract in the summer as the club didn't renew whilst he had so many injury issues. Hopefully his promising form recently sees his contract extended because I think he could actually make the step up to the fringes of the first team next season if he gets a good pre-season in.

If it wasn't for his injuries, he'd be on loan or have a decent number of CC appearances by now. Unless his form drops significantly, he'll probably be knocking on the first team door two seasons hence.

Kyoufu

Local derbies are always tense, no matter how much one side loses in them (Sunderland, Everton etc).

Messi

OMG So excited footieGAF, seems ill be going to see : Watch the throne (kanye and jay-z) in dublin, barca in the CL and Childish Gambino in Florida in the space of 2 months.

So happy :)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

They hate each other, just like Arsenal and Tottenham only nowhere near as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom