• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to throw this out there regarding Cesc, but it is probably best he doesn't go out and present himself to the fans until he retires/goes to the MLS. He is still an opponent, and all it does is stir the pot.

elsk

Banned
Any person who gives Cesc abuse for leaving is a total idiot. He gave EVERYTHING for Arsenal EVERYTHING. It was just time for him to move on. He was totally respectful when leaving and speaks highly of them in interviews. Sometimes people are morons.

Everything? He left in the best moment of his career because he got a chance to be part of a 'rival' side. Time for him to move on? So Arsenal was just the club to push him to fame so he could be a Barcelona star later? Respectful my ass, he was a baby on the whole process.

Arsenal developed him, and built a project around him. He was even the captain. And he just decided to say "hey, you know what? Now I'm so good that I could start in Barcelona the place I really want to be... so goodbye!"

When a true class-player joins a team is to give everything for that club, his entire career. If he joins just for money and fame, so he can move to another club later I don't think that's giving EVERYTHING.

nick nacc

Banned
what websites do you guys use to keep track of everything? i am desperatly trying to follow everything but i am still new. i use footytube for highlights is there anything better?

Lightning

Banned
Everything? He left in the best moment of his career because he got a chance to be part of a 'rival' side. Time for him to move on? So Arsenal was just the club to push him to fame so he could be a Barcelona star later? Respectful my ass, he was a baby on the whole process.

Arsenal developed him, and built a project around him. He was even the captain. And he just decided to say "hey, you know what? Now I'm so good that I could start in Barcelona the place I really want to be... so goodbye!"

When a true class-player joins a team is to give everything for that club, his entire career. If he joins just for money and fame, so he can move to another club later I don't think that's giving EVERYTHING.
You have taken the word "everything" out of the context to which it was used. Cesc gave everything WHILE he was at the club. That does not mean he has to dedicate his career to a plan that had no chance of working or carry the burden of constantly needing to play injured because Arsenal were inept to be able to handle anything without him. Cesc's lack of silverware for his efforts at Arsenal are a shame and Wenger, the Arsenal board and ultimately his under performing team mates are to blame. Not Cesc because he performed...

Cesc clearly gave everything for Arsenal while he wore our shirt. Now he has moved on and gives everything for Barcelona and I wish him all the best in doing so despite my hatred for Barcelona.

I don't think he abandoned the club. He's been publicly sought after by bigger clubs than us since 2008 and he could have left then. Instead he signed a long term contract, rumoured to have been 6-8 years in length. It wasn't so much as the lack of trophies either, he reasons, but the "same things" happening each year; the periodic implosion of the side. He was struggling to motivate himself last year, and then Barcelona gave him an ultimatum he admits, sign now or never.

Even with Cesc, I don't think the pattern of our season would have gone any differently and so I can understand his personal choice to be in a more stable and happier environment. RVP will have to make a similar decision this summer before signing his last long-term career contract.

If we had made major signings last year, to refresh the belief in the playing team, then I think Cesc would have rebuffed Barca. Same logic applies this time round, but financial limitations make the idea nothing more than a fleeing thought.

Salazar

MELBOURNE, March 14 (Reuters) - Australia's opening home match in the fourth round of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup against fellow Asian giants Japan will take place in Brisbane on June 12, Football Federation Australia said on Wednesday.

lol, I dunno if Australia is a footballing "giant".

Will go, though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ugly as fuck win and Defensor Spórting had a legitimate goal disallowed. Still, I can't help but sigh in relief. We haven't been as ugly as in the beginning of the year, even without four of our most important players.

Carlos Fierro's goal. Easily our best player today, but I really liked what I saw of Casillas the few minutes he played. He almost had the second in a ball that was going straight to the angle but saved at the last minute by the keeper.
Fierro's first goal?
Fierro > Cubo

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Different players/positions
They both play in Chicharito's old position so the comparison applies.
You got a link for the disallowed goal?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_cwbjJzrZI#t=1m45s

Regardless:
tumblr_l48havqdY31qbt6t4o1_500.jpg

Congrats to Liverpool for a well deserved win.

What pisses me off the most about that is that my brother-in-law was there watching and now we will never hear the end of it every time they come visiting Cyprus. God dammit!

So yesterday the arabian investor said that they were "100% investing in Palermo" (deal has been signed) while swagging around with Zamps openeing a new mall. "The plan is to invest about 200 million euros in 5 years."
3AQmK.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Elia posted this on his twitter
iIaHK.gif
iIaHK.gif
<3

1D2lk.jpg

So yesterday the arabian investor said that they were "100% investing in Palermo" (deal has been signed) while swagging around with Zamps openeing a new mall. "The plan is to invest about 200 million euros in 5 years."
3AQmK.gif

Awesome!

AJYYj.jpg

neoanarch

They both play in Chicharito's old position so the comparison applies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_cwbjJzrZI#t=1m45s

Regardless:

I'd say its borderline. Can't really tell if he chipped or headed it over the defenders.

Torres for me has more potential than Fierro. But both are young 19 and 17 so they have a lot of room for growth. I just hope the seleccion doesn't ruin Torres for another 6 months. I don't know what they do to them but every time a young in form player gets called up they go back to their club with no confidence and out of form.

Hoping Cruz Azul beats Corinthians tomorrow, ucandooeeet.

corinthians has not only never won in mexico they have never scored a single goal.

avaya

He was already first team within 7months of joining (in a side that was far far better). We did not develop him, Barcelona already did that. He spent 8years at Arsenal.

He owes nothing to Arsenal, he was destined to be first XI for Barca, that's why they were furious when he left.

FootballFan

Arsenal developed him.

I never understand this, how did Arsenal develop him when he was taught most of his stuff at La Masia in Barcelona? He was the captain of the youth team and was playing for Spains youth teams(winning the u17 wc being the top scorer and player of the tournament, where Wenger scouted him I think), you think Barcelona was dumb enough to want to sell him after that? Of course not, but he ended up signing with Arsenal. He debuted for Arsenal, what, 40 days later? I doubt they developed him THAT much in 40 days..

That said though, he improved a lot at Arsenal and got an insane amount of experience(learning from Henry, Viera etc), being captain, learning to deal with hard times, pressure and so on.

I am with the group of people(im hoping most people are too), that think Cesc deserves respect and good recognition from Arsenal supporters for everything he did. He returned to Barca cause that's his home and he wanted to return after seeing all his friends doing so well and happy.

edit: oh looks like Avaya already explained it.

Fantomex

I'd say its borderline. Can't really tell if he chipped or headed it over the defenders.

Torres for me has more potential than Fierro. But both are young 19 and 17 so they have a lot of room for growth. I just hope the seleccion doesn't ruin Torres for another 6 months. I don't know what they do to them but every time a young in form player gets called up they go back to their club with no confidence and out of form.

corinthians has not only never won in mexico they have never scored a single goal.

Their Brazilian though, I be scared.

Salazar

Fucking mentalist knob said:
Terry was dismissive of suggestions, most notably from the Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny and the former Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, that the senior players are too influential at Stamford Bridge. "That's nonsense," he said. "Roman [Abramovich] and the board make the decisions. Things on the football pitch can affect what happens upstairs of course – if we don't win matches, the board step in – but what other players and former managers are speculating from outside is complete nonsense.

No mention of a manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom