• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Not if Chelsea can get 3 which I can see them getting.
Bearing in mind I have no idea who's fit for Chelsea and who isn't, this team should be able to score 3 in my eyes:

Mata
Drogba
Sturridge

Ramires
Meireles
Essien

Back 5

I have faith in them.

The thing is, I really don't see them scoring 3. When was the last time they scored 3? Against Man Utd? They still ended up drawing 3-3. I don't think it's wise to take Napoli lightly. I see the pundits slamming Napoli saying they're not good, but Cavani and Lavezzi can assassinate most teams on a good night.

Auclair: Spurs are still ahead in the race to sign Hazard

Huddlefro status update. Bear in mind he won't play again this season, and he doesn't score many anyway, his hair should look incredible come the start of the next campaign.

March, 2012

huddlefro_march2012_430.jpg

January, 2012

huddlefro_jan2012_430.jpg

November, 2012

huddlefro_nov2011_430.jpg

sneaky77

Chelsea need to attack to score at least a 2-0 to advance, but Napoli is very quick in the counter so it will be hard for Chelsea to keep their scoresheet at 0.

dschalter

The thing is, I really don't see them scoring 3. When was the last time they scored 3? Against Man Utd? They still ended up drawing 3-3. I don't think it's wise to take Napoli lightly. I see the pundits slamming Napoli saying they're not good, but Cavani and Lavezzi can assassinate most teams on a good night.

they can assassinate most teams even when napoli are shit.

Wouldn't it make more sense for Chelsea to play a 4-3-1-2 formation with Mata playing the CAM role behind Drogba and Sturridge? Why are they always in a 4-3-3 formation?

Auclair: Spurs are still ahead in the race to sign Hazard

Huddlefro status update. Bear in mind he won't play again this season, and he doesn't score many anyway, his hair should look incredible come the start of the next campaign.

March, 2012

huddlefro_march2012_430.jpg

January, 2012

huddlefro_jan2012_430.jpg

November, 2012

huddlefro_nov2011_430.jpg

Is he growing his hair out on purpose, and for any particular reason?

Napoli are in their favorite position. They can just play 90 minutes of counter football now and they will no doubt create lots of chances doing that. Really don't see see Chelsea going through, have a hard time even seeing them win the match.

GQman2121

Banned
Chelsea would need to get into the CL for Modric to be interested.

Or they could pay him £200,000 a week.
The top two spots may be spoken for, but there's only 4pts between 5th and 3rd. I believe we'll find a way to make it in. Though, if we don't, that might actually be better for the club, as I'm sure Roman would then clean house and start over.

Clegg

The top two spots may be spoken for, but there's only 4pts between 5th and 3rd. I believe we'll find a way to make it in. Though, if we don't, that might actually be better for the club, as I'm sure Roman would then clean house and start over.

I think a big clear out will happen at Chelsea regardless. Roman can't be happy with the way this season has gone.

FWIW I think Chelsea can get 4th spot. Arsenal is still a flaky side and I don't fully trust Tottenham to go the rest of the season without a hitch.

Kenka

http://www.givemefootball.com/european-news/the-other-super-mario-is-europes-finest

The other ‘Super Mario’ is Europe’s finest

Stats alone don’t make a great player, but they certainly must be taken into account when discussing and deciding who are the top players in European and World football.

La Liga sensations Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are in a league of their own at the current time, but neither the Portuguese winger or Argentine playmaker would be classed as an out-an-out striker.

And, being based in England, it’s easy to place Robin Van Persie and Wayne Rooney ahead of anyone else in Europe, given their stunning goal records this season.

But, a quick glance across the channel shows the Olivier Giroud is banging in the goals for Montpellier, as his stock rapidly rises in Ligue 1. However, the French international will need to match his 17-goal tally again over the next few seasons in the league to be regarded as one of the best.

In Spain, amidst the greatness of Ronaldo and Messi stands some pretty good strikers, although David Villa’s leg break asks questions over his ability when he returns to the fold at Barcelona.

Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuain are fighting for a starting spot with Los Blancos, let alone the title of European football’s best striker, whilst Fernando Llorente is surely destined for bigger-and-better things with Athletic Bilbao or beyond. His time may come.

But in Germany, often regarded as the fifth best league in Europe, striker Mario Gomez is making a mockery of all before him. And, most importantly, he’s done is season after season.

The striker first broke into the Stuttgart side on a regular basis in the 2005/06 season, scoring six goals in the debut campaign. It was by no means a stunning start.

But, the next campaign he notched 14 goals, and then followed that up with 19 the next. Another 24 in 2008/09 earned his big money move to Bayern Munich, and the improvement in quality of team has eventually led to even more Bundesliga goals.

In his first season at Bayern, Gomez struggled to fit with the football philosophy at the Allianz Arena, spending plenty of time on the bench in a 10-goal campaign. The rut didn’t last long though, with Gomez taking the Bundesliga Golden Boot with 28 strikes last season – including five hat-tricks.

It’s the player’s ability to score goals in bundles that is a little bit special, with Gomez hitting 11 hat-tricks and 72 total goals in his last 72 games.

The numbers are quite incredible, when you include 21 more league goals this season, plus 10 in seven Champions League games after the four against FC Basel last night.

These statics pose the obvious question – who is better? Of all the players mentioned, it’s Van Persie who is showing the most consistent form, but even his numbers don’t add up to those of Gomez, who has scored 33 goals in 50 European matches for the two different clubs he’s played for.

Interestingly, the Gunners hitman has only struck 20 times in 65 European matches with Feyenoord and his current club. And in all competitions, the amazing run of 54 goals in 70 games isn’t on a level with Gomez.

For Rooney, who is enjoying one of the best goalscoring periods in his club career, the 41 goals in 65 games in all competitions over the last season-and-a-half again struggles to compare.

Of course, both Rooney and Van Persie have a lot more to their own games than just scoring goals – a detrimental factor for Gomez when people consider his all-round standing as one of the game’s top strikers.

But, the job of a forward is to score goals first and foremost, and there isn’t anybody in the business whose better at that task than Gomez. He’s a poacher who can tap-in from six yards, but also has a cannon of a shot to bang in the goals from distance.

And, whilst we’re happy to under-value the level of play in the improving Bundesliga, it’s about time we paid some respect to ‘Super Mario’ – the best striker in European football.
Well, you know... he he.

Wilbur

Banned
Germany is still regarded behind France? LOL okay.

1. Spain
2. England
3. Italy
4. Germany

5. France
6. Portugal

7. Russia
8. Netherlands

amirite? (note: Bundesliga is probably more entertaining than the rest but i dunno, couldn't see them ahead of the others)

bwahahaha..
Gomez is not even close to Messi and Ronaldo. He's only good at one thing = holding his foot & head where the ball is/ends up. He can't play/pass for shit.
For fuck's sake, he can't even get past an old (albeit awesome) Klose in the national team..
Most of those goals came from games vs. horrid defenses where Bayern won with more than 5 goals..
Gomez wouldn't be able to to mimic RvP's first touch from 1-1 vs. Newcastle in a million years, lol

Germany is still regarded behind France? LOL okay.

1. Spain
2. England
3. Italy
4. Germany

5. France
6. Portugal

7. Russia
8. Netherlands

amirite? (note: Bundesliga is probably more entertaining than the rest but i dunno, couldn't see them ahead of the others)

in terms of quality?

1. spain

2. eng/ital/germ
3. everyone else

Wilbur

Banned
I remember when I was a bit younger Spain/Italy/England were the big 3 and then Germany/France were joint just under that; or at least that was general consensus around my friends. No doubting Germany have pulled ahead now.

spidye

I have no idea in what measure BL is fifth..
UEFA Country Ranking 2012 (Germany is 3rd)

How is France supposed to be in front of Germany? Their clubs haven't won shit except for Marseilles & PSG in the 90ies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League#Winners
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Cup_Winners'_Cup_records_and_statistics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Winners

Can't be revenue either - although I have no numbers on that.

well marseille made the bundesliga winner (a winner who dominated the league) his bitch. in both matches

:p

well marseille made the bundesliga winner (a winner who dominated the league) his bitch.

:p

Yeah and that team made Bayern and its footballing wunderkind Gomez their bitch for 3
soon to be 4
consecutive games. Where does your logic go from here?

Dortmund is responsible for the low coefficient this season. Even Schalke did a better job last season.
Yes and where did they end up in the table last season? I'm more than happy that we failed in the CL if we still end up in the first three or even win the league.
Also look at Hanover atm..
We lost an important player and had to make adjustments & we also under-performed in the league around that time. It's fine though as I already said. Fuck the coefficient, my team is the priority, lol

/edit
I remember when I was a bit younger Spain/Italy/England were the big 3 and then Germany/France were joint just under that; or at least that was general consensus around my friends. No doubting Germany have pulled ahead now.
Hmm, in mid-90ies I didn't really perceive EPL teams as being that great. It went like this for me: Italy, Spain, Germany and it only changed around 2000 when Utd. raped and pillaged Bayern, lol

Carbonox

Mike Ashley might be willing to splash a bit of cash in the summer given the club's off-field and on-field success.

We might also be getting rid of Lovenkrands, Alan Smith, Gosling and Ranger. I'd actually keep Lovenkrands as - gasp - he's a better striker than Leon Best and Shola Ameobi (not hard).

If we do get in to the Europa League, we sure as shit need a bigger squad.

bjaelke

Mike Ashley might be willing to splash a bit of cash in the summer given the club's off-field and on-field success.

We might also be getting rid of Lovenkrands, Alan Smith, Gosling and Ranger. I'd actually keep Lovenkrands as - gasp - he's a better striker than Leon Best and Shola Ameobi (not hard).

Isn't Løvenkrands injured all the time?

Question: Are games played with two local teams always called derbies? Basically I'm asking - what exactly is a derby? Like "Merseyside Derby" is just a name right - there was no special benefit of winning other than bragging rights.

elsk

Banned
Personally, I see less quality in EPL. Serie A and Bundesliga are a lot more interesting, the managers usually use the newest tactics and the players are a lot more "flashy".

In EPL they still use 90s formations and tactics, and the game is more about strength than quality. Obviously, that doesn't apply to all the teams.

I want Chelsea to win tonight. They're the only surviving English team and though I don't want them to win the competition I want them to go further in it. They're representing this league now, I want them to do that well.

I adore Napoli and Cavani, if they progress I won't mind, but I'm hoping Chelsea get the job done tonight.

I predict a 2-2 draw however. Chelsea will score but I can't see how they stop Napolis deadly counter attacks.

^
:(

I predict a 2-2 draw however. Chelsea will score but I can't see how they stop Napolis deadly counter attacks.
I'm sure Chelsea will run into the bayonets today.

Personally, I see less quality in EPL. Serie A and Bundesliga are a lot more interesting, the managers usually use the newest tactics and the players are a lot more "flashy".

In EPL they still use 90s formations and tactics, and the game is more about strength than quality. Obviously, that doesn't apply to all the teams.
Yeah, I feel that way too tbh..

elseanio

Question: Are games played with two local teams always called derbies? Basically I'm asking - what exactly is a derby? Like "Merseyside Derby" is just a name right - there was no special benefit of winning other than bragging rights.

Yep, this is pretty much it. United vs Liverpool is sometimes called a derby just for the intense rivalry the two clubs/cities have, but I think it should be reserved for Liverpool/Everton and United/City

Kyoufu

Well, we've already signed one it seems. Romain Amalfitano.

No idea how good he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom