• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those asking what happened..it's difficult to say or know.

It was a Bolton goal kick and Muamba collapsed with nobody around him after seemingly having a fit of some sort.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Checked the score and saw that it was interrupted, then I saw the news. Hope he comes out of this okay.

ESPN's reporter in the White Hart Lane tunnel says Fabrice Muamba was not breathing when the Bolton midfielder was carried past him. Medical staff were still attempting to resuscitate him and a defibillator had been used.

Jeez...

Sleepy

Didn't see it and a bit confused what happened but this sounds terrible. Hope he gets ok.

No one saw it-- he collapsed off the ball/off-screen and when he started convulsing, they cut away immediately. Didn't show anything else, thankfully. I hope he is okay...

dc89

Roger Clarke at WHL for SSN.

Muamba was on the pitch for 10 minutes and had manual CPR carried out on him before defibrillator's were used.

---

Players go through extensive health medicals at various points in their career. They have all manner of scans. I doubt if he had a underlying condition that was known about he'd be a professional footballer.

mxgt

Banned
I feel sick right now, can't imagine how the fans and players are feeling having seen that in person

Hope the guy pulls through

Wes

venison crêpe
For those asking what happened:

It was a goal kick to Bolton. The camera was on the keeper. He wasn't placing the ball on the fround was instead gesturing to the middle of the field.

The camera then cut to Muamba on the ground with 2 or 3 people around him including the ref. One of the Bolton players bent to touch Muamba on the thigh in a comforting fashion but to me it looked like Fabrice was convulsing.

As soon as I saw it, the director must've done too as they immediately cut away never showing another camera shot in that area again. Medics ran on to the pitch, players walked away. Some bent down in prayer. Owen Coyle came on too. Crowd looked shocked. Both sets of fans chanting his name.

dc89

What happened?

Fabrica Muamba collapsed on the field, no one was near him. Many players called for medics and even Owen Coyle ran on.

6 Paramedics attempted to revive him on field with manual CPR and then used defibrillators. He was took off and is now going to hospital.

I read an interview a while ago (can't remember who it was) saying there are a lot of players in world football that have heart defects and choose to keep playing. I know Thuram and De La Red retired.

Jal

My mate died from undetected heart problems at 23 when he was at the gym, hope Muamba's OK but it doesnt look good. :(

Pacbois

Statement from Bolton due soon.

Gosh, I really hope it's good news...

I was watching the game, and I'm quite shocked...Even had some tears. The reaction of Tottenham players and fans was just beautiful.

I really wish the best for Mumaba and his friends and family.

A lad at my work died of a undetected heart problem at the age of 24.

It's happened to NFL, NBA and NHL players through the years.

Cheers. What kind of tests would you have to do to find heart defects like Marc Vivien Foe's before their life is threatened by them?

Altazor

I wasn't watching the match, I just heard about this... oh dear, it sounds absolutely terrible. I hope Fabrice pulls through, I wish him the best.

I wasn't watching the game, but heard almost instantly and turned ESPN on - its horrible. I feel bad for the presenters and commentary team having to fill this airtime, I'm sure they don't really want to.

I hope there's no need for black armbands tomorrow.

Scum

BBC said:
The latest news on Fabrice Muamba is that medical staff were still trying to resuscitate him on his way to hospital. ESPN have reported that Bolton boss Owen Coyle and club captain Kevin Davies are set to join him there.
:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom