• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Another win for Liverpool, good news after the awful run they've had in recent times. Pretty meh performance but it's to be expected against Stoke, in general most of the players acquitted themselves well, Downing's goal can only help him really. Carroll an effective attacking presence yet again, shame that Crouch's goal will be used against him.

Important win. Was vital that we won and broke that little blip we were having, hopefully we get some momentum going into the next couple of games where points should be on the cards.

Liverpool at home on the 1st will be a big big game in terms of 6th place.

Spearing was great. Vastly prefer him over Adam.

Passes the ball very well I think. He misplaced one pass I saw to Enrique, but was otherwise faultless. With Gerrard in the team he's very good at winning it and playing simple balls, but can also hit nice long diagonal passes too. Did very well today. Totally prefer him to Adam.

sohois

Spearing is a different style of player to Adam, not sure why they are being compared. Spearing will probably be playing every game until Lucas gets back as he is the only DM and all the other midfielders are too attack minded to play without one.

GorillaJu

Everyone out there for us had a good game except Kelly and Maxi, defended well but didn't offer much in the way of passing. Think he realized this and started holding up the ball more and just handing it to Gerrard.

Carroll didn't do much but he was working with scraps. His knock downs were great.

Suarez, Spearing and Skrtel all could be MOTM for me.

[Spearing is a different style of player to Adam, not sure why they are being compared. Spearing will probably be playing every game until Lucas gets back as he is the only DM and all the other midfielders are too attack minded to play without one

True they're different types of players, but they're both box to box central midfielders, and I prefer Jay. Cleaner tackles, keeps the ball on the ground, great movement, better work rate, good kid.

Spearing is a different style of player to Adam, not sure why they are being compared. Spearing will probably be playing every game until Lucas gets back as he is the only DM and all the other midfielders are too attack minded to play without one.

We're not comparing them. It's just if Gerrard plays (and with the way we keep scoring when he, Suarez and Carroll play together he must) then Spearing is vastly preferable to Adam, who has been paired with Gerrard as well before. There's also a myth that Spearing can't pass, which isn't true, he's very good at it.

Mastadon

Banned
Everyone out there for us had a good game except Kelly and Maxi, defended well but didn't offer much in the way of passing. Think he realized this and started holding up the ball more and just handing it to Gerrard.

Carroll didn't do much but he was working with scraps. His knock downs were great.

Suarez, Spearing and Skrtel all could be MOTM for me.

Skrtel for me. In with a fantastic shout for player of the season imo.

sohois

It's true that Spearing offers a lot more than just running around a lot, indeed when he is released from his defensive role I have been impressed with his dribbling and passing but for me when Lucas returns I don't see him getting much of a look in.

draw on itv1 now.

If we get Sunderland in the Final it would be pretty cool. 20 years ago we played them at Wembley and won it 2-0. Was a decent game too, one of the first games I really watched again and again on video.

Everton would be good too, so Chelsea in the semis please.

GorillaJu

Skrtel for me. In with a fantastic shout for player of the season imo.

Quite possibly. This is without a doubt his best season in terms of performances that I've seen. A few goals in there to boot, too.

Also was nice to see Carragher letting Reina play the ball out or passing it to Spearing instead of hoofing it up the field. He had a couple of wonderful passes out wide too.

Overall I'm pleased. You United fans can ramble on about us looking bad, but Stoke doesn't let anyone play football, including you all. When they tired out our quality of play increased dramatically.

Hixx

If we get Sunderland in the Final it would be pretty cool. 20 years ago we played them at Wembley and won it 2-0. Was a decent game too, one of the first games I really watched again and again on video.

Everton would be good too, so Chelsea in the semis please.

Few months before I was born, me dad + family were there tho.

Haha. You're not getting past Everton.

We'll see.

sohois

Would probably have preferred Chelsea since Dalglish always seems to beat them but they might be a different proposition in a final, but this match-up seems a pretty easy route to another final at least.

Manager

Someone at Redcafe wrote this r.e. Muamba, take it as you want:
I am an ER physician, and I my opinion Muamba most likely had a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, also known as idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis. What this means is that a part of his heart is larger than it is supposed to be, and cuts off blood supply leaving the heart entering the aorta. If you decrease blood flow into the aorta, you can pass out suddenly, or in severe cases go into cardiac arrest from abnormalities in the heart's electrical conducting system.

This condition is most commonly found in young athletes; When you hear the tragedy of a young athlete that suddenly keels over and dies it is usually due to something like this. It can be fixed with cardiac surgery and medicines. There is a risk of it reoccurring, so most likely he will not play competitive soccer anytime soon; but seeing as the physios got to him soon after his heart stopped and defibrillated him, his prognosis is good as opposed to someone who does not have access to immediate medical care.

The fact that he regained his heart function after this incident is encouraging, but he will probably remain sedated to decrease how hard his heart has to work to allow it the best chance to heal.

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them. Just based on the fact that it was so sudden, and he is a healthy athlete, makes this more likely than a "heart attack".

That being said, I hope he gets better! That's scary for everyone involved.

Wilbur

Banned
tumblr_leh4w3rbli1qaplhf.gif

Obviously this is in reply to Mastadon. Erm.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They had a heart expert on SSN this morning who said much the same thing.

Same with the guy they had on BBC news. Makes me feel a bit more optimistic but we just have to wait.

Not a great draw for Spurs in the Cup but I really don't care right now, both because of Muamba and our own crappy form. The 4 weeks until the semis seems like a lifetime.

Semifinals at wembeley is stupid IMO

Liverpool will be favourites in their tie and some of their fans will have had to rob enough to fund 3 trips to London this season.

I jest but the point stands

Semifinals at wembeley is stupid IMO

Liverpool will be favourites in their tie and some of their fans will have had to rob enough to fund 3 trips to London this season.

I jest but the point stands

Liverpool travel to different parts of the country every other week, they already have a number of trips to London every season for away games. Another one won't hurt.

Muamba will probably also have to go through quite a bit of rehabilitation, maybe even more operations, who knows how much damage that did to him. It will probably be until next when can even think about playing again.

Also, I totally called it, I'm no doctor but that was a textbook example of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy disorder, same shit killed Vivien Foé and Fehér. If I were a athlete right now I would spent the following week at a hospital getting everything scanned and tested. Heart problems, testicular cancer tennis elbow, erectile disfunction, you name it.

If Muamba just survives to live another year it'll be a great outcome, never mind playing again. The statement from the hospital and Bolton suggests he's still in a real real bad way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom