• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Rovers/Sunderland. One of the weirder games I've seen so far. A lot of unforced errors, loss of possession, silly penalties, bad corners, etc. Congrats to the Rovers though for pulling it off. Nice to see another 'Pray 4 Muamba' shirt too.

I'm sorry it was a scrappy affair but feed the yak and he will score!

The sun is running a story saying Muambas first words to his dad were 'did we lose'

Top bloke

^
8z5RO.gif

Mirko's goal in HD, get it while it's hot!

temp-320-1949949653wzb.gif

What a strike! (My GIF program stopped working :/)

we played well today, won in 90 minutes in torino with our reserves. we lost this semifinal at the san siro though.

i just hope there were no injuries . . . what a useless match really, should have rested everyone.

also pippo is finished :(

elsk

Banned
we played well today, won in 90 minutes in torino with our reserves. we lost this semifinal at the san siro though.

i just hope there were no injuries . . . what a useless match really, should have rested everyone.

Amelia; Antonini,Mexes,T.Silva,Mesbah; Aquilani-Seedorf-Muntari; Emanuelson; Ibra-El Shaarawy

I see 0 reserve players. I see 3 bench players. 8 starting players.

Well, you guys played well. Deserved the draw. :p

But what reserves? I thought these were your reserves since most everyone else is injured.

Pippo was finished last year, mate. Should have considered going to a smaller team.

i used the wrong word, should have said bench players. mesbah, muntari, seedorf, el shaarawy, maxi lopez, urby, amelia and pippo would normally not play if our squad was healthy. also antonini was out of position and ibra was playing injured.

so all things considered it was a good result in torino, we just really should have done better in the first leg.

also: was del piero's goal a handball? i couldn't tell on my shitty stream and some people were complaining.

Couldn't tell either, and the highlights I saw were just as bad. Only Amelia really complained about it, and it seemed half-hearted anyhow, so I guess not.

FootballFan

I know we are generally the good people thread but its worth going to read the NBA sticky lock comment as a warning/reminder.

True, obviously none of us are doing anything to lock the thread, but let it not get to that point. I love this thread, check my post history, probably around 60% of my posts are here. I am FootballFan after all.

edit
Nolito scored? nicee. wow vucinics goal is great too

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Yeah I always see people mention it but never in too much detail. Something about someone getting the thread locked and people getting banned.
Anyways
from Pintos twitter, post match messi looks happy. Looks a bit skinny too.
ujuDS.jpg

dri-fit shirts make you look skinny no matter what. it's worse for people that ARE skinny like myself.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal to beat Everton tomorrow with Mikel Arteta scoring the winning goal would be the perfect setting for me!!!!!

Also hoping that City hammer Chelsea.

"Juventus coach Antonio Conte lost his voice over the course of his side's dramatic Coppa Italia semi-final success over AC Milan on Tuesday night and was unable to attend his post-game press conference as a consequence"
Not the first time that's happened this season.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
i used the wrong word, should have said bench players. mesbah, muntari, seedorf, el shaarawy, maxi lopez, urby, amelia and pippo would normally not play if our squad was healthy. also antonini was out of position and ibra was playing injured.

so all things considered it was a good result in torino, we just really should have done better in the first leg.

also: was del piero's goal a handball? i couldn't tell on my shitty stream and some people were complaining.

Watch it in HD, not even close. He chested it down.

To be honest, I think Milan play against us better with their reserves (?).

Mkc6N.png

I'm pretty sure you had more than one shot on target this time
z1SoR.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
WoodenLung posted a 25mb gif once, you're safe :p
Is that any relation to the actual formations? Why is Vidal so far advanced? Can he just play anywhere?

We don't use a 4-2-3-1 anymore, but he was there to pressure their defense!

He can <3 Was even better than Bonucci when he played in defense
GNGyR.gif

What, Cassano is playing football again?

I wish. That picture was for Milan's first game with us back in October, with their starting XI.

Zabojnik

To be honest, I think Milan play against us better with their reserves (?).

I'm pretty sure you had more than one shot on target this time

The Meravigliosi are obviously a far superior team, no one is saying otherwise. It would be stupid to do so, this season's four matches clearly show us so. As far as 'we played with our bench players' ... so did we in Milan and frankly, with the exception of Nesta (well, not the latest Nesta) and Prince, it's not like the other 'starting' players are some huge improvement, imo. Like, should you even count Pato? He's *always* injured. :D

But anyway, as I've said, a far superior team. Storari had to perform several miracle saves yesterday, right?

panty

Tonight Villareal - Real Madrid. If we lose or draw this I'm going crazy.

Goalkeepers
Casillas, Adan, Jesus

Defenders
Varane, Pepe, Arbeloa, Marcelo, Ramos

Midfielders
Altintop, Sahin, Lass, Khedira, Xabi Alonso, Ozil, Granero, Callejon, Kaka

Forwards
Cristiano Ronaldo, Higuain, Benzema

On paper if they stick with the last match's lineup they have almost the best men available.

Zabojnik

Did you skip a couple frames after the shot? It's moving very fast in Chrome.

It was that fast a shot!

(Nope. Working fine in Firefox. I followed the 'Gif NeoTutorial' thread instructions. 3/100 delay, downgraded the colors some to make it a bit smaller.)

bjaelke

Tonight Villareal - Real Madrid. If we lose or draw this I'm going crazy.

Goalkeepers
Casillas, Adan, Jesus

Defenders
Varane, Pepe, Arbeloa, Marcelo, Ramos

Midfielders
Altintop, Sahin, Lass, Khedira, Xabi Alonso, Ozil, Granero, Callejon, Kaka

Forwards
Cristiano Ronaldo, Higuain, Benzema

On paper if they stick with the last match's lineup they have almost the best men available.
Coentrao out with a smoking injury?

I've come to the conclusion that not only is Sam Allardyce, in terms of playing style, one of the most boring and negative managers out there, but he's also, quite frankly, utterly deluded. He believes we were unlucky not to win last night, citing our superior possession of the ball in what he seems to think makes up for a near-complete lack of creativity, inventiveness or goal scoring opportunities of any sort. Middlesbrough are the ones who should feel unlucky, with a shot ricocheting off the crossbar and another cleared off the line late into the game, they made up for what they lacked in possession with the sort of pace and incisiveness that our team desperately need.

Firstly, one up front just isn't working. At all. It's quite amusing, because the commentators see Maynard, Cole & Taylor and think we're playing 4-3-3, but we're not, it's 4-3-2-1, with centre-half Tomkins playing in a holding midfield role and striker Maynard playing on the right wing.

Secondly, our midfield, easily our strongest asset last season, are seemingly incapable of finding space to either receive the ball or pass up to the strikers. There's no cleverness to our movement, no inventiveness in our runs. And the result is that our full backs are left with little option other than to hoof the ball up front, to little effect.

Thirdly, Sam's continually whining about the home fans booing him and the team after another of their dull and negative performances. That complaint may have held weight when we were at the top of the table, looking certain for automatic promotion, but now we've squandered that lead, dropped out of the automatic promotion places and sit 7 points off the top. He likes to parrot that we're "unbeaten in 9", yet 6 of those 9 were draws we were lucky to scrape a point from. The fans boo him because it's obvious from the outset that he's doing nothing tactically to change that. We're set up entirely to play negative, point scrimping football, and that's exactly what we get. A perfect example of this came when we scored the opener after 67 minutes in last night's game - Sam's response? Take off both our strikers and revert to an even more defensive formation, alerting our negative intent to, not only the fans, but to Middlesbrough also, who took advantage and earned a point for themselves.

If we don't get promoted automatically, we're not getting promoted this season, which would be utterly disastrous. This team just doesn't have the quality, the passion or the belief to fight through the play-off's, and even if they did, Sam'd probably still find some way to cock it all up and then blame the fans for having unrealistic expectations. /rant

The Meravigliosi are obviously a far superior team, no one is saying otherwise. It would be stupid to do so, this season's four matches clearly show us so. As far as 'we played with our bench players' ... so did we in Milan and frankly, with the exception of Nesta (well, not the latest Nesta) and Prince, it's not like the other 'starting' players are some huge improvement, imo. Like, should you even count Pato? He's *always* injured. :D

But anyway, as I've said, a far superior team. Storari had to perform several miracle saves yesterday, right?

Well, we should play with Abbiati; Abate, Mexes, Thiago Silva, Antonini; Aquilani, Van Bommel, Nocerino; Boateng, Ibrahimovic, Robinho (or Cassano). Yesterday night only four (five, if you don't count the GK) were in the starting formation, plus Antonini who played on the right side (when he should play on the other side. Actually, he shouldn't even play, but whatever). Emanuelson, Seedorf, Muntari, Mesbah, Maxi Lopez, El Sha and Inzaghi are all bench players: a couple of them are playing a lot, mostly Ema, which has been in our starting XI since january. Yet, they were all on the field last night.

The "we played with our bench players" thing is a way to say that, for the last two months, we played with the same players, without having the possibility to change our line-up. So, our bench players became our starting players. Which may not be that big deal against Cesena or Lecce, but against a team which knows how to play football becomes a much bigger issue.

About Pato: I don't know what they're doing with him, I hope they're somehow keeping him safe, preserving him so they can sell him this summer to PSG and earn as much as they can. It's frustrating, really, he has a lot of potential but he's always injured, and when he plays it seems he doesn't even care a bit. I hope he'll leave us this summer, so we may get someone else.

bjaelke

Patrick Vieira said:
"I think it shows that, in the next few years, it will be really difficult for United to cope with other teams because, with all the respect I have for Scholes, him coming back shows that they don't have talent in there to replace him. "
Shots fired.

Zabojnik

<Making sense>

You're right, of course. It's not a lucky season for you guys as far as injuries go. I apologize for the sarcasm, sometimes I just feel the need to be the verbal counterweight to a certain other rossoneri fan here and go too far. :p

Hopefully this rivalry will last until the end of the season. C'mon Roma, do something useful for once!

EDIT: Btw, what's up with this Dash Kappei dude? I was promised cursing and meltdowns, yet he's nowhere to be seen.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
TheLucifer is probably the classiest Milan fan to ever grace this thread. And that's how I know them IRL.

Zabojnik said:
Hopefully this rivalry will last until the end of the season. C'mon Roma, do something useful for once!

Roma..haha

Edit:
EDIT: Btw, what's up with this Dash Kappei dude? I was promised cursing and meltdowns, yet he's nowhere to be seen.

Inter are not doing well. You'll see him if we lose on Sunday.

bjaelke

So I've never really watched football. Tips on getting started, who to watch, what I should know?

There's a big game tonight between the English teams Manchester City and Chelsea FC. It'll be good match for a neutral spectator to watch. The majority of football-gaf will be watching that game, but there are also other big games on tonight:

Villarreal - Real Madrid (Spain)
Monchengladbach - Bayern Munich (Germany)
Everton - Arsenal (England)

How familiar are you with the sport?

So I've never really watched football. Tips on getting started, who to watch, what I should know?

A good start could be Chelsea - City tonight, should be a intense game. But if you want some football that is easy and exciting to get into at first, something like Barcelona would probably be good. Really though, pick any top teams in any of the bigger leagues and you can't go completely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom