• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
rpUVK.png

Most shots per game in Italy & 4th most in all of Europe. We need better strikers
xy2V2.gif

rodvik

You know who isn't on that list? Alex McLeish's Aston Villa.

Well why would it be? I mean its not like the man has at his disposal a bunch of quality attacking players who under previous managers were taking far more shots like Bent, Gabby, N'Zogbia, Albrighton, Petrov, Bannan and Gardener. or we have reduced our last seasons most prolific striker to the premier league player with the least touches of the ball for the season.

Oh wait...

Depressed for the weekend. We are in a relegation scrap.

confuziz

Banned
Villa won't be relegated, stop this crazy talk, rodvik!

That's what I hate about Primeira Liga and Eredivisie. -_-

They have no choice. In the Eredivisie the top players (Toivonen, Vertonghen and the likes) only earn about 1-1.5 million a year max. At City they can earn..well..everything.

I remarked back when McLeish was hired that it's never ever a good idea to put a just-relegated manager in charge of a struggling team. This was not some kind of eureka moment mind you, it was simply that I'd seen my team (West Ham) go through a season under the terribly overrated Avram Grant.

McLeish's brand of football remains a mystery to me. What are his sides about? Is he a tactics guy, or a man-motivator? All in really know is that Villa of this year (based on the handful of their games I've seen) remind me a lot of Birmingham of last year. That is, a moderately talented squad playing like a Championship level team. Actually, Villa are more than moderately talented, but you know what I mean.

Well why would it be? I mean its not like the man has at his disposal a bunch of quality attacking players who under previous managers were taking far more shots like Bent, Gabby, N'Zogbia, Albrighton, Petrov, Bannan and Gardener. or we have reduced our last seasons most prolific striker to the premier league player with the least touches of the ball for the season.

Oh wait...

I think we are safe from relegation, this season...

While an EredivisieGAFfer is here, What are your thoughts on AZ's Brett Holman?

I remarked back when McLeish was hired that it's never ever a good idea to put a just-relegated manager in charge of a struggling team. This was not some kind of eureka moment mind you, it was simply that I'd seen my team (West Ham) go through a season under the terribly overrated Avram Grant.

McLeish's brand of football remains a mystery to me. What are his sides about? Is he a tactics guy, or a man-motivator? All in really know is that Villa of this year (based on the handful of their games I've seen) remind me a lot of Birmingham of last year. That is, a moderately talented squad playing like a Championship level team. Actually, Villa are more than moderately talented, but you know what I mean.

My guess is that he is a 'If I put 10 behind the ball, and keep my main striker in our half of the pitch, there is no way we will concede a lot of goals!" kind of guy. But I don't think he has realized that you need to score a goal to win.

offshore

"NILE Ranger has joined Sheffield Wednesday on loan until the end of the season."

Mat C, I can only apologise in advance for his lack of goals and his likely indiscretions. Good talent, but really got a ways to go.

Manager

Great. 12m is still plenty even though he's undervalued at that price. Could have been worse.
No we need a back-up for Lewandowski.

/edit
yeah, right he's going to China for 12m.

Alright thanks. Lewandowski come good? I remember the high hopes Germans had on him and then he was put on the bench.

They have no choice. In the Eredivisie the top players (Toivonen, Vertonghen and the likes) only earn about 1-1.5 million a year max. At City they can earn..well..everything.

Toivonen is barely even Fulham or Norwich material. Vertonghen would be interesting to see though, he was rumoured to be close to City and United before.

confuziz

Banned
Alright thanks. Lewandowski come good? I remember the high hopes Germans had on him and then he was put on the bench.

Toivonen is barely even Fulham or Norwich material. Vertonghen would be interesting to see though, he was rumoured to be close to City and United before.

Yeah..no. Toivonen can perform just fine at Liverpool, really.

Great. 12m is still plenty even though he's undervalued at that price. Could have been worse.
No we need a back-up for Lewandowski.

Considering there was no one to buy him for fucking €8m just two months ago, that's pretty good to be honest. Only for us, though. Lucas could have done well at another European club, it's a bit sad to see him in China. Although it's rather likely that there was no proper offer in Europe if he really goes to China and I don't even mean money-wise.

There was just no need to put Barrios on the bench last season, just like there is no reason to put Lewandowski on the bench now. He's certainly a different type of striker than Barrios, works defensively, very agile, good ball control but he's still lacking in the deadly finisher part. When he improves there, he's certainly up there for the likes of Real, Barca, etc.

"NILE Ranger has joined Sheffield Wednesday on loan until the end of the season."

Mat C, I can only apologise in advance for his lack of goals and his likely indiscretions. Good talent, but really got a ways to go.

This is League One, I hope he does the business.

Madine and Ranger in town will lead to trouble though, both are loose cannons.

(edit) ^^ yay, getting ready for Bayern, Gladbach, s04 :D

Yeah right, because Barrios was pretty strong last season. However after his injury at the Copa America Lewa took his place and overall Lewa's form skyrocketed this season.
(-) still misses pretty often and could be better at reading the game/positioning (he's still very young after all)
(+) superb presence on the pitch (wins almost every header duel), great at shielding the ball. Gets a lot of offensive fouls called against him that would never be called in the EPL..
(+) very good first touch, great technique overall, great passing skills

He could become really big at some point. I hope he signs a new contract with us soon (beyond 2014).

Considering there was no one to buy him for fucking €8m just two months ago, that's pretty good to be honest. Only for us, though. Lucas could have done well at another European club, it's a bit sad to see him in China. Although it's rather likely that there was no proper offer in Europe if he really goes to China and I don't even mean money-wise.
Right, it's sad how he lost track so fast.
Now about his back-up. I think we should aim at foreign talent or maybe sign someone along the lines of Schieber/Lassoga?

Pato is flying to the US next monday for a check-up. Second time in two years. And Inzaghi pulled a muscle during the Coppa Italia semifinal. Also, Seedorf is out again. And Abate won't be back until the first days of April. Gotta love this season :D

At least, Boateng should be back this saturday, maybe he'll play 20-30 minutes, so that he can be ready for Barcelona.

Now about his back-up. I think we should aim at foreign talent or maybe sign someone along the lines of Schieber/Lassoga?

If they find another Lewandowski somewhere else, I'd be fine with it. Or maybe that Guidetti guy, I'm not sure if he's affordable or not, though.

But there's enough talent in Germany as well. Schieber or Mlapa (contract runs out 2013) would be my first suggestions. Schieber is hard working and misses the deadly finish, he'd fit perfectly lol. Mlapa sucks for Hoffenheim but he impressed me in the U21 matches I watched and I'd say Klopp could make something out of him. Lasogga would instantly become possible if Berlin gets relegated, too.

The LFP postponed Marseille's match against Montpellier because of the cl games against Bayern

didn't know you can postpone games in france because you have a hard cl game coming up

Then you're either a bad Bayern fan or should check your head because the same happened with Lyon just two years ago :p

elsk

Banned
Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande FC have signed Dortmund's Lucas Barrios on a four-year deal, according to "Bild". At least €12m fee.

Damn it eelsk, how many times are we gonna say we don't speak German? At least translate the headline if you're gonna post it.

Sorry, but you could use a web translator. My german is very basic so I use a translator to get the idea.

Manager

I always bought Lewandowski in FM, he was so cheap.

Ugh, I'm serious. Liverpool wanted to buy him for 10 mil in the summer of 2010.

Also, Zlatan himself says he's great.

Zlatan says anyone in Sweden is great. Toivonen needs 5 shots to hit goal once, then every fifth shot on goal is goal.

I mean the goals you see him scoring is ridiculous, he gets left alone all the time. Sure, he's good at moving, but he'd never get those chances in a better league. He's a half-good Afonso Alves with some playmaking material added. I can never see him succeeding in PL. I say this as a Swede.

Sorry, but you could use a web translator. My german is very basic so I use a translator to get the idea.

If everyone posted links from their own language we wouldn't be able to do anything else than translating. It can't be that hard for you to just translate the headline, instead of all us doing it individually. This is an English forum after all.

elsk

Banned
Sorry man, I was going out when I posted it. Didn't had the time, also I wasn't sure if that was "confirmed" or just a rumor at the time.

Anyway. Barrios was a perfect back up striker for Bayern, IMO. Always liked him, he's good with the ball and knows how to take his chances. Very good striker overall. A shame he's going to China...

elsk

Banned
Claudio Pizarro's agent has met with the Bayern bosses to discuss a summer transfer, according to "Spiegel Online". Not bad.

Then you're either a bad Bayern fan or should check your head because the same happened with Lyon just two years ago :p

Yep, they did the same for the semi-final Lyon - Bayern in the 09/10 CL.

offshore

This is League One, I hope he does the business.

Madine and Ranger in town will lead to trouble though, both are loose cannons.

Want him to do well too, he's got some potential. Runs fast, just needs better direction. lol. But yeah, won't be surprised if he gets into trouble pretty quickly.

Can't wait to see what Ribery has in store for Marseille.

They're a much better team than Lyon 2 years ago, but I'm pretty confident.

So good infact that they're in 9th place domestically, just got dumped out of the Coupe de France (French version of the F.A. Cup) by Quavilly from the 3rd division, and are only this far in the CL because Arsenal, Dormund, Olympiacos and Inter somehow managed to fuck up more than they have in europe.

If you don't tear them to shreds over the 2 upcoming games I will laugh at you until the Mayan gods glass the earth at the end of the year.

and are only this far in the CL because Arsenal, Dormund, Olympiacos and Inter somehow managed to fuck up more than they have in europe.

I just found out that it's a good thing. If we played in the quarter finals instead of Marseille, there would have been Dortmund - Bayern matches every Tuesday/Wednesday for 3 weeks. That would have been too much for Bayern :D

Blablurn

I just found out that it's a good thing. If we played in the quarter finals instead of Marseille, there would have been Dortmund - Bayern matches every Tuesday/Wednesday for 3 weeks. That would have been too much for Bayern :D

but u would have lost in the first ko round anyway.

Absolutely, you guy will probably have a trophy or two at the end of this season, while the other team won't have shit to show for at the end.

Also, just looked at O.M.'s wiki page, what the hell is going on with Gignac? Is he injured or is something else going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom