• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Bielsa would be mortified at the concept of inheriting this Liverpool team.
Bielsa would be mortified at the concept of inheriting any Premier League team. He refused an offer by the United States Soccer Federation a few years ago solely because he doesn't speak English and does not like working through translators.

I don't think Benitez going back to Liverpool is a good idea. He is a good manager and did well there and really seemed to understand the club and it's culture...but, Liverpool need to freshen up and move forwards. New owners, new stadium, new commercial structure...think a new and younger manager is a good idea also.

Bollocks mate. Benitez created a winning team on a 'relatively' tight budget (look at Chelsea, United, City). Came 2nd, got the clubs highest ever points total, two champions league finals, FA Cup final, only 2 losses in a whole season. He is a great manager and it wasn't until the ownership issue caught up with him that things fell apart. He had a better record than Fergie for example in his first 5 years. I'd have him back tomorrow. Kenny's a great motivator, but he hasn't got quite enough about him for the job.

Fur_Q

Mancini isn't that bad. In fact, I don't think he's bad at all...just he isn't top level and a better manager would probably be doing better with City. He's still a decent manager IMO.

David Platt is the real brains behind the operation. Don't be fooled #conspiracy

No one's getting Klopp, just saying.

Also, Marvin Ducksch scored his first two senior goals for our second team today. I want him as striker number 3 next season.
What is Klopp's position at Dortmund? As in, has he indicated that he will stay on, for a long time, maybe look to leave soon etc.

untitled-17wzfc.gif

untitled-2myxdt.gif

GorillaJu

He's an ok manager. A huge part of his team is shit... mainly his fault right? He got like 2-3 mediocre english players for big money. Someone else should manage the transfer department in Liverpool, Kenny eye for good players is broken.

But as manager, I think he's doing and ok job.
And I find kind of funny how the Liverpool fans expect Klopp or Bielsa to have a remote interest in leaving their good clubs to join Liverpool...

We don't? We're just mentioning people that the owners would target. Klopp and Bielsa are both very talented managers that have a lot of attention.

I wouldnt expect either of them to leave their clubs and it has nothing to do with Liverpool FC. I don't think they'd leave for anyone.

I'm convinced rovers are down, wolves Wigan and us will be relegated with Bolton and QPR escaping.

Season ticket prices announced this week to have been frozen but I'm not even sure I can be assed anymore, I'll end up going though no doubt

Clegg

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Kenny Dalglish's 2012 Liverpool team.

What has that got to do with anything?

Mancini hasn't done anywhere near as well as he should with the squad of players City have assembled.

He's not a bad manager but I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as SAF or Mourinho either.

Kyoufu

I'm convinced rovers are down, wolves Wigan and us will be relegated with Bolton and QPR escaping.

Season ticket prices announced this week to have been frozen but I'm not even sure I can be assed anymore, I'll end up going though no doubt

Let's pour a drink to the 90s where both of our clubs saw better days. Cheers.

dc89

Mancini hasn't done anywhere near as well as he should with the squad of players City have assembled.

Because he said Mancini is a mediocre manager. That's not true, he won in Italy and he's won something in England too in his first full season. Now, the next 9 games, will be his biggest test.

Bollocks mate. Benitez created a winning team on a 'relatively' tight budget (look at Chelsea, United, City). Came 2nd, got the clubs highest ever points total, two champions league finals, FA Cup final, only 2 losses in a whole season. He is a great manager and it wasn't until the ownership issue caught up with him that things fell apart. He had a better record than Fergie for example in his first 5 years. I'd have him back tomorrow. Kenny's a great motivator, but he hasn't got quite enough about him for the job.
I'm not saying Benitiez isn't a good manager, just that I think for Liverpool it's better to move away from the past completely.

If Benitez was the single best choice out there, it might make sense to go back to that, but I don't think he is. I don't think he created a winning team the like that people often say he did (obv. technically it's a winning team but it wasn't exactly racking up trophies) He won one FA Cup with the team HE created, not to take away the achievement of winning the CL, but it wasn't "his team" if you get my drift. He came close to winning the title in one season only. I'm also fairly sure that whilst he was at Liverpool they had the second highest spend in the league.

Again, he is a good manager without doubt, I don't think he'd do a bad job for Liverpool at all, he'd do a good one and certainly better than Daglish. I just think for Liverpool it's better to move away from the mess of the last few years and go in an entirely new direction.

Edit - Also, comparing against Fergie's first 5 years is pointless really. There are dozens of managers who have had a better start to their careers at big clubs than Fergie did.

GorillaJu

Theres only one manager who can waltz into a team and have them challenging for titles in his first years and that's Jose Mourinho.

Regardless of the money, Mancini has a lot of work to do in grabbing so many players in such a short time and dealing with the expectations his club has. He's not a shit manager at all, but it won't be him who establishes City's era of dominance which I think we can all see coming.

We don't? We're just mentioning people that the owners would target. Klopp and Bielsa are both very talented managers that have a lot of attention.

I wouldnt expect either of them to leave their clubs and it has nothing to do with Liverpool FC. I don't think they'd leave for anyone.

Trouble is odd, it's getting to the point where you're beginning to wonder what the selling point for the Liverpool job is anymore? Less money year on year with no European qualification/success. A bad set of footballers with the exception of Reina, Agger, the ageing Gerrard and Suarez. Fans who seem to have ideas well above their station.

Unless Liverpool chase an up-and-coming manager, I'm not sure who'd take it on.

dc89

ESPN just showed Aguero arriving at Stoke. His ankle is strapped up, not a plastic cast thing, just some bandaging.

:(:(

---

Fur_Q HAS GOT IT!

GorillaJu

Again, he is a good manager without doubt, I don't think he'd do a bad job for Liverpool at all, he'd do a good one and certainly better than Daglish. I just think for Liverpool it's better to move away from the mess of the last few years and go in an entirely new direction.

I agree. Kenny was a good move and yes I genuinely believe that to be true. We have failed I reach our goal this season but we had spells of lovely football and did win a trophy. If we do get an AVB-like manager, it wouldn't have been possible last season anyway - we wouldn't drop 14m like Chelsea to prize him away from Porto and Deschamps, Klopp, etc didn't want to leave their posts last summer.

He's kept the spirits high, seen a lot of improvements and though he may not see out his two year contract, it wasn't a mistake to hire him.

sohois

Trouble is odd, it's getting to the point where you're beginning to wonder what the selling point for the Liverpool job is anymore? Less money year on year with no European qualification/success. A bad set of footballers with the exception of Reina, Agger, the ageing Gerrard and Suarez. Fans who seem to have ideas well above their station.

Unless Liverpool chase an up-and-coming manager, I'm not sure who'd take it on.

Money talks. Liverpool can still offer much higher wages and transfer budgets than European Clubs. People have said the same about Chelsea and though they remain a more attractive proposition as long as they have the CL, in the end AVB still went there and they will probably end up with another top manager at the end of this season.

Wilbur

Banned
Because he said Mancini is a mediocre manager. That's not true, he won in Italy and he's won something in England too in his first full season. Now, the next 9 games, will be his biggest test.

Two of his title wins in Italy were handed to him because of Calciopoli, the other when Juve were in Serie B and Milan had a points deduction (if I'm right? Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong). I think he's a good manager but it's the squad getting City far, as opposed to Fergie doing it for United.

FuturusX

Time...I keep hearing that old chesnut. Time in football is just a sweet memory. Squads are built with millions and a mix of youth (if you're lucky). This is the new reality of football.

Time is a luxury that a Manager no longer has. Kenny spent or oversaw the spending of 100 million pounds on transfers. The result is a similar league position and good cup run. So now what?

Let him see out the remainder of his contract, but no more big spending. If he wants time, then this is the squad that will come good right?

I still maintain that Mancini, should have stomped all over this league. The standards should be higher for a team with the resources that are quite frankly a dream. He's good...maybe. But he needs to be better.

Clegg

Theres only one manager who can waltz into a team and have them challenging for titles in his first years and that's Jose Mourinho.

Regardless of the money, Mancini has a lot of work to do in grabbing so many players in such a short time and dealing with the expectations his club has. He's not a shit manager at all, but it won't be him who establishes City's era of dominance which I think we can all see coming.

I'm not saying he's a bad manager, he's doing a decent enough job at City. But he definitely deserves criticism for the way City have failed to kick on his season. His tactics in Europe were overly defensive and naive in approach. They could have qualified from that group but didn't. City were doing fine in the league until the new year. They've slipped up a bit since them imo. Mancini has again been too overtly defensive in games which has cost them points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom