• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Why didn't he do something about it?

I can't say, not knowing a thing about how much autonomous influence a Chelsea manager actually has. I mean, Abramovich isn't that hands-on, until the time comes for the backstab, but it's plausible that AVB still had to go through channels to get stuff done.

ShogunX

I agree. Please do not let this happen. Hopefully Roman is not that crazy yet.

Not many better managers around when it comes to the Champions league. Bit silly that people see Rafa Benitez in a negative light but then I guess that's football fans for you.

Moobabe

For fuck sake. I don't understand the mentality of the owner - 8 managers in 9 years is it? Surely that points to the problem lying with the players? The core of the team has been identical since Mourinho left - Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Malouda, Mikel and Drogba. They're not as good as they were 9 years ago at all.

What does Di Matteo do now? Do we have the personnel to change the system drastically? The only, ONLY justification I can see is that AVB was starting to hang over the club - every question at the press conferences was "Do you have the backing of the owner?" every question to the players was "do you support the manager?" - it's our own fault, the constant in and out of managers has encouraged the media to ask these kinds of questions.

WJD

Not many better managers around when it comes to the Champions league. Bit silly that people see Rafa Benitez in a negative light but then I guess that's football fans for you.

I just don't get why he's still without a job after 2+ years out of management. There's been plenty of vacancy's and he's a good tactician.

It really saddens me that the manger's roulette has yet again continue, I hope who ever take over from here on have the balls to ship out these bunch of waste men that we have destroying the club.

It's quite simple...

Carlo looked like he was running out of ideas. Now maybe he was or maybe the squad were getting on. So he goes, we get a young and exciting new manager in. The club talk about giving him time and planning for the future. The new man tries to work with the old squad, it becomes clear that the squad seem to be the problem (so maybe a mistake was made with Carlo). So most of our fans decide to back our manager and want to give him the time he was promised, and for a wee change, maybe sack a bunch of mega rich under performers. Now he's been sacked, and we're back to square one.

Edit: also, it's all well and good you coming in and talking like you know it all. Saying Carlos performances were better after having watched both his and AVBs doesn't really offer much insight. It's not like that was known pre AVB.

2nd edit: Why not Grant? The man who inherited the Jose squad? hmmmmmm...

Ridiculous. For one, it's been clear that age has been creeping in on the Chelsea squad for the past few seasons, and the time for renewal and youth was long past overdue when Ancelotti walked in the door. (Although likely not an issue if Abramovich had trusted in Mourinho all those years ago.) For Ancelotti, imprinting that into the squad in little under two seasons was impossible, whether or not the key interference was undue player power. Given how impressive the results he achieved within that time-frame were, the logical suspicion is that if he'd been given more time, he would have been able to leverage his past success into building something more. It's certainly a suspicion which holds greater sway than with AVB's English adventure, however unfair that comparison is. But that's the problem: So long as a capricious Roman never allows for a manager to keep a foothold without immediate title and CL success as well as be the overriding force at Chelsea, then a long-term vision of success will never find root at the club.

I just hope the Man Utd board remembers the early years under Ferguson when they install his successor in several years time. Luckily, the choice can't be more abominable than Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Zamparini will get his Arabian money and get AVB on to the project.

would be amazing if palermo got some money and brought in someone like AVB. if they stop functioning as a selling club and put a long term project together, they could do great things (like napoli has done.)

but we both know they won't do this with crazy zampa in charge. :p

ShogunX

I just don't get why he's still without a job after 2+ years out of management. There's been plenty of vacancy's and he's a good tactician.

He's been offered a few jobs but has turned them down as I believe his family is very settled in Merseyside and he doesn't want to leave the country unless it's for Spain. Still makes me laugh that Villa dismissed Benitez and then hired Alex Mcleish. Bunch of idiots.

I just remember him letting Ferguson under his skin, lol.

Yep that was a silly press conference but to be fair to Rafa a lot of what he said is actually true. Still made him look a bit nuts though!

GorillaJu

For fuck sake. I don't understand the mentality of the owner - 8 managers in 9 years is it? Surely that points to the problem lying with the players? The core of the team has been identical since Mourinho left - Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Malouda, Mikel and Drogba. They're not as good as they were 9 years ago at all.

What does Di Matteo do now? Do we have the personnel to change the system drastically? The only, ONLY justification I can see is that AVB was starting to hang over the club - every question at the press conferences was "Do you have the backing of the owner?" every question to the players was "do you support the manager?" - it's our own fault, the constant in and out of managers has encouraged the media to ask these kinds of questions.

I think you're spot on, here.

In the end it's quite an embarrassment though. Shame for Andre - he was doing so well with Porto. I wonder where he goes next - clearly he's gone too far in to be another assistant like he was for Mourinho?

I sympathise with AVB a bit. He gave in to the conspiracy chat a bit sometimes, and I didn't like that, but he had a tempestuous infant with no clue about football above him, and an unstable mix of promising players, out-of-form players, bad players, and gravy-train assholes underneath him.
But he's been paid absolutely shitloads of money and knew that's what he was letting himself in for.

Villas Boas will be fine. Getting sacked by Chelsea is beginning to look like quite an honorary thing.

Everyone knows the club is run in a haphazard way and I don't think this will do his reputation too much harm.

GorillaJu

Pogrebnyak has taken 4 shots for Fulham. He's scored 4 goals.

kenny-dalglish_2026289c.jpg

Yen

He's been offered a few jobs but has turned them down as I believe his family is very settled in Merseyside and he doesn't want to leave the country unless it's for Spain. Still makes me laugh that Villa dismissed Benitez and then hired Alex Mcleish. Bunch of idiots.

Yep that was a silly press conference but to be fair to Rafa a lot of what he said is actually true. Still made him look a bit nuts though!
I'm fairly sure Wes on here dismissed Rafa as well. You reap what you sow.

ShogunX

Suarez_0.gif

If that went in it would of been a contender for goal of the season. Suarez in a nut shell though, Moments of world class football followed by a weak finish.

RaGe_pt

I think you're spot on, here.

In the end it's quite an embarrassment though. Shame for Andre - he was doing so well with Porto. I wonder where he goes next - clearly he's gone too far in to be another assistant like he was for Mourinho?

I would take him back. I was fucking pissed at him for leaving us in the beggining of the season and I predicted this would happen to him at Chelsea (not this fast though) because that club is a coach cemetery. Though I love what he did for us last season and I would like to see him back!

GorillaJu

Suarez_0.gif

If that went in it would of been a contender for goal of the season. Suarez in a nut shell though, Moments of world class football followed by a weak finish.

Damn if he just took one more step at the end instead of trying to toe tap it in, he could have got his footing and hit the back of the net. What skill.

Ridiculous. For one, it's been clear that age has been creeping in on the Chelsea squad for the past few seasons, and the time for renewal and youth was long past overdue when Ancelotti walked in the door. (Although likely not an issue if Abramovich had trusted in Mourinho all those years ago.) For Ancelotti, imprinting that into the squad in little under two seasons was impossible, whether or not the key interference was undue player power. Given how impressive the results he achieved within that time-frame were, the logical suspicion is that if he'd been given more time, he would have been able to leverage his past success into building something more. It's certainly a suspicion which holds greater sway than with AVB's English adventure, however unfair that comparison is. But that's the problem: So long as a capricious Roman never allows for a manager to keep a foothold without immediate title and CL success as well as be the overriding force at Chelsea, then a long-term vision of success will never find root at the club.

I just hope the Man Utd board remembers the early years under Ferguson when they install his successor in several years time. Luckily, the choice can't be more abominable than Sven-Goran Eriksson.
It's ridiculous that at the time people were on unsure whether Carlo was running out of ideas or if the age the squad was the issue? I went on to conclude that with a new manager using the same team it became obvious what the problem was. So I don't know why you're disagreeing with me.

Also, it was hardly as clear cut from the start as you make it out to be. That squad done the double. Yeah they were ageing, but they still had something to give that season. The second half of Carlo's last season was when the doubt set in, and AVBs season so far pretty much proved what we were all thinking.

Great run. Decent attempt at the finish too I think, difficult to get much power from that position. Suarez is brilliant in those tight spaces.

I think RVP's goal that won it would still top it had Suarez's strike gone in. I'm a sucker for volleys though, but some ridiculous technique on the finish.

kharma45

Twitter says no Bale.

So I just saw, no Parker obviously either.

Looking good hopefully.

United team is

De Gea, Jones, Evans, Ferdinand, Evra, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Nani, Rooney, Young, Welbeck

Edit - 12 names listed? lol

Edit 2 - Giggs is on the bench.

Not a (completely) serious suggestion, but have you watched this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ebW1vJAlY&feature=player_embedded

<3<3<3

Ha, makes more sense than the Giggs suggestions in the tabloids, at least. Solskjaer's achievement with Molde last season was pretty massive for that club - their first title in a hundred years in his debut season as manager is not too shabby. But if you remember the early days of Keane's management spell, a tumble is never far away and the Norwegian league is quite a distance from the pressure of the PL title and CL expectations. We'll probably go for Mourinho. Or Guardiola - if he's not lying about wanting to leave Barca one day. Otherwise, I could definitely see Fergie recommending a tough character that doesn't immediately jump to mind with both experience and age to burn - yes, David Moyes isn't totally unimaginable.

ShogunX

Great run. Decent attempt at the finish too I think, difficult to get much power from that position. Suarez is brilliant in those tight spaces.

I think RVP's goal that won it would still top it had Suarez's strike gone in. I'm a sucker for volleys though, but some ridiculous technique on the finish.

Not many people in the league have the confidence or ability to hit that Volley first time like RVP did yesterday but as good as the technique was I cant help feeling Reina should of done a bit better. That might be harsh though.

Salazar

Ha, makes more sense than the Giggs suggestions, at least.

Yeah, I do think he seems to have what it takes, though. Easy to say, at this point, but he has brains, confidence, charisma, nous, youth, wit, and this is a collection of virtues that most ex-player managerial prospects do not manage to unify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom