• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Pardew taking the high ground in the interview about how his players settled the game and got on with clean football was priceless.

United need to batter the confidence out of West Brom. I know nothing about how Bilbao will go, except that butterflies and flames will trail Super Tom's runs, but WBA could grab a draw if we don't smack them earlyish.

We've all seen young kids with amazing skill and ability that stand out from the rest on the park or playground. But what does it take to actually become a pro? Is it really just about hard work and dedication through the academies? Can you make a footballer or are they born? Why did Lionel Messi turn out to be a better dribbler and have better close control than any other of the younger kids his age? Why is Xavi more consistent than Carrick? Where is the technique from

Its a bit of everything.

Genetics.
Coaching.
Mental aptitude.

Kyoufu

Pardew taking the high ground in the interview about how his players settled the game and got on with clean football was priceless.

United need to batter the confidence out of West Brom. I know nothing about how Bilbao will go, except that butterflies and flames will trail Super Tom's runs, but WBA could grab a draw if we don't smack them earlyish.

We did though. First half was shite, but we came out all guns blazing in the 2nd half. Should have won that game.

Bouncebackability is the word you're thinking of, Chris.

haha well...

Its interest as most Academies now aren't wasting their times on the kids who show signs of being trouble makers/won't listen at a younger age. There's a good talking point there as to if this is right or not.

From a coaches point of view there's nothing more frustrating than trying to coach 15 kids who want to listen, learn and progress while they're being distracted by the 1 kid who (while talented) doesn't care.

--

Even before they had a man sent off, they were happy to try and sit deep for 45 minutes and hit on the break (again). Feel like they've had their 'New Manager' resurgence and the same old same old Martin O'Neill issues will start to seep in now his 'magic words'/motivational speeches suffer from diminishing returns.
A draw was a fair result, they were better in the first half, simply because Newcastle were absolutely terrible. No idea why we've insisted on this horrible hoofball for the last 2-3 months. Plays right into a team like sunderland's hands.

Whenever we've actually played football, we've done well.

Scum

I'll take a stab at this. :lol

We've all seen young kids with amazing skill and ability that stand out from the rest on the park or playground. But what does it take to actually become a pro?
Is it really just about hard work and dedication through the academies? Can you make a footballer or are they born?
Why did Lionel Messi turn out to be a better dribbler and have better close control than any other of the younger kids his age? Why is Xavi more consistent than Carrick? Where is the technique from?

Most definitely, both, of hard work and determination. It's like pretty much most things in life. Plenty of determination, hard work plus the right academy can be of great influence.
I think players like Xavi are just brimming with intelligence that they add to their game. Hence, his awesome technique. Combine that with the simplest form of football and you get what he does so well.

As for Messi, well, some people are just naturally gifted. :p

So, it's pretty much a bit of everything really. But then again, Xavi and Messi spend their time learning and practicing football both mentally and physically, on and off the pitch whilst other would be talented players spend their time learning it the physical way and then waste the mental learning part pissing about on Twitter. :-/

Fady K

Not really poor defending, just lapses in concentration that United knows how to turn into goals.

United is deadly with taking advantage of lapses. If other teams were half as good the League would be far more entertaining.

Anyway, there are other Vita games we can play.

Yeah sure why not? Same with the PS3, if you ever had any interesting games in mind that we can do co-op in, let me know and I'll work on getting the game if I don't have it already.

I hadn't even thought about that, lol. Awkward moment of Mou and Abramovich reuniting.
I can see AVB coaching Barca if Pep doesnt renew.

That's the thing bro, can't see that happening after Roman fired him :/ Being a Barca/Chelsea fan I'd rather Pep stay in Barcelona Ferguson-style. He better renew :D

Lapses in concentration, basically. Didn't defend a corner properly right on half-time, didn't mark correctly on a throw-in near our box or clear the ball properly when it came across the face and didn't track Young or close him down properly outside the box. All 3 were preventable but it's something for Walker to learn from. He is still a kid. Other than the 3 United goals they created absolutely nothing and barely held the ball until the game was dead at 3-0.

That really sucks...especially because Tottenham are much more capable than such a performance would show when it comes to closing down opponents. Walker is usually pretty good too. It really is too bad when our teams don't focus for a few seconds in an otherwise very decent performance and bam, they concede a few.

QPR 1 - 1 Everton

I ain't even mad.jpg

Fuck this shit

well, at least, we are no Chelsea, Lol
Sorry fady!

Noooo Farid, you got yourself banned >_< I hope you come back soon. You are right though, Everton is no Chelsea. More unity there!

What do you mean by online co op? Like play with a friend against someone online? Cause me and a friend do that all the time, just think you can only do it in unranked matches.

That's exactly what I mean bro :D Heck, even playing with a friend against an AI would be great. Are you referring to the VITA version though or the PS3 version?

Just read a few Chelsea articles. If any of it is true the players in question need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

If they don't like being part of the squad then get out. That's what needs to be said to them. How can they expect to play every game. Taking your turn on the bench or in the stands is what it's about these days. It's a squad game.

Look at City, £150m worth of talent on the bench. Mancini deserves a lot of credit for how he has managed the supposed 'egos' at City. I can't remember the last time I read a story of dressing room disruption. I don't think you can count Tevez, sure he refused to do this that and the other but the club dealt with him in a very respectable manner.

I hope that Roman is true to his word and that he brings big changes in summer. It's too late for AVB now, the footballing world can only think of what he could have achieved if given the time. I think he was the right manager at the wrong time. The poisonous characters are going to give any manager coming in a worry.

Spot on dc. Even though you are a City fan, I think you nailed it when you said how Mancini is managing the so-called EGOS of the MERCENARIES and ASSASSINS at City lol. The team has become far more respectable under him IMO, even if he does flash imaginary cards in a few matches, he at least apologized for it. Plus, look at a brilliant player like Adam, who is subbed much of the time, does not whine about it, and DOES HIS JOB when he is on the pitch. Respect to that.

A lot of kids now don't have any resilience. If they can't do something they pack it in/stop caring. To keep it GAF relevant you could argue that that is computer games' fault with the adjustable difficulty levels!

Sadly, there are no sliders in a real game of football. If you can't pass you'll only learn through repetition, error and practice. Patience & Resilience.

There's a video the FA took before the qualifier match against Greece where David Beckham score THAT freekick. Its like for like. He's practising his freekicks over and over again. Its cuts from him in training hitting a freekick to an almost identical attempt in game against Greece. Back and forth. Until it shows his final attempt in training and the final freekick he took against Greece which he scored.

Only a handful of players I know at youth level that are happy to stay back and use their OWN time to practice like that. Shame really.

Well I had quite the day yesterday! After a few beers we headed up to Shearers bar to watch the game. About 5 mins before kick off a guy came up to me and flashed a ticket, I told him there was no way I could afford it though. He took my hand, put the ticket in it and told me it was free if I wanted it because his mate let him down or something!

I though it must be a fake ticket or...god forbid a ticket to the Mackem end...BUT IT WASN'T :D

Jammiest git in Newcastle, the people in Shearers and the stadium couldn't believe it haha!

I won't go too much into the match but yeah, we should have won it at the end. Sunderland were better in the first half but it was just a matter of time before we scored and we were unlucky not to kick it at the death.

Awesome day.

Dibbz

So looks like Arsenal are going to try and put out a strong squad against Milan.

&#8220;I would not be very credible to tell you we want to score five goals and then leave Robin van Persie out.

&#8220;We will not accept going out of the Champions League because we want to stay in. We will give it our best shot tomorrow.&#8221;
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-resting-players-is-not-an-option

Big gamble especially after RVP and other have played:

Sunday against Spurs
Wednesday Internationals
Saturday Liverpool
Tuesday Milan

That would be tough for any player and we could already see players could not keep up at Liverpool.

Although might as well ride the momentum and see where it takes us.

That's exactly what I mean bro :D Heck, even playing with a friend against an AI would be great. Are you referring to the VITA version though or the PS3 version?

Oh I was talking about the PS3 version, sorry if I got your hopes up, no idea about the vita version really.

Couldn't make it up.

Alan Green calls AVB arrogant.

Juande Ramos on CCTV stealing a phone.

Why anyone listens to Alan Green/Talksport is beyond me. They say outrageous shit just so you'll waste your time phoning in and they get their sponsorship money. He should be on everyone's global ignore list. If there was such a thing outside of the internet.

There's a whole host of young, talented journalists out there who can and want to write decent articles and provoke good talking points/debates. Sadly, the best they can get are guest spots on blogs or homemade podcasts. Meanwhile, utter cretins like Alan Green and ex-footballers who stopped trying to hide their bias several years ago continue to flap their gobshite opinions on the TV and Radio.

Salazar

Ah fuck did the QPR documentary get removed from YouTube I wanted to watch it

I'm sure someone technologically gifted can hook you up.

Such a socially awkward environment. Gripping in an uneasy way.

Edit: yeah, I'm just reading it on twitter. Green is one of the most pompous creatures around football, though, and AVB's problem, if anything, was not being sweepingly dominant enough. Seems like he went halfway and got fucked for it.

GorillaJu

Yeah I'm sure I can find it if I were so inclined, I just dove into bed with my iPhone hoping to fall asleep to the soothing sounds of QPR cockery.

Clegg

So what do we think of Pavel Pogrebnyak? He's started off brilliantly for Fulham.

Tall, athletic and a decent finisher. I've been very impressed with him so far.

Salazar

Dembele is a nightmare around the box, too. Alarmingly slick at shifting it and going.

Taking Fulham very seriously now.

I'll take a stab at this. :lol

Most definitely, both, of hard work and determination. It's like pretty much most things in life. Plenty of determination, hard work plus the right academy can be of great influence.
I think players like Xavi are just brimming with intelligence that they add to their game. Hence, his awesome technique. Combine that with the simplest form of football and you get what he does so well.

As for Messi, well, some people are just naturally gifted. :p

So, it's pretty much a bit of everything really. But then again, Xavi and Messi spend their time learning and practicing football both mentally and physically, on and off the pitch whilst other would be talented players spend their time learning it the physical way and then waste the mental learning part pissing about on Twitter. :-/

I sometimes wonder why did Xavi turn out to be a playmaker whilst someone like Robinho or Ronaldo turned out to be more the flair player. Both require skill, intelligence and dedication of course but at some point Robinho decided that he would work more on his step overs and flicks rather than passing and vision, whilst Xavi chose the opposite. Can this tell us something about their personas? It reminds me of the chemicals we release in our brain and how they define our emotions. Someone wil get a buzz over doing a high jump from a board into a pool whereas another will be scared to death to even attempt it. I personally get more of a buzz whenever I made an assist or great pass than when I did scoring.

Clegg

Wenger has said that Arsenal will be going out to attack Milan tomorrow. He's told reporters that since Milan scored 4 then Arsenal are also good enough to score 4.

He forgot to mention that Arsenal are also liable to conceed 2 or 3.

A lot of kids now don't have any resilience. If they can't do something they pack it in/stop caring. To keep it GAF relevant you could argue that that is computer games' fault with the adjustable difficulty levels!

Sadly, there are no sliders in a real game of football. If you can't pass you'll only learn through repetition, error and practice. Patience & Resilience.

There's a video the FA took before the qualifier match against Greece where David Beckham score THAT freekick. Its like for like. He's practising his freekicks over and over again. Its cuts from him in training hitting a freekick to an almost identical attempt in game against Greece. Back and forth. Until it shows his final attempt in training and the final freekick he took against Greece which he scored.

Only a handful of players I know at youth level that are happy to stay back and use their OWN time to practice like that. Shame really.

This is one of the most impressive videos on YouTube. Coaches should play this to kids every day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AiyUfxId90

I sometimes wonder why did Xavi turn out to be a playmaker whilst someone like Robinho or Ronaldo turned out to be more the flair player. Both require skill, intelligence and dedication of course but at some point Robinho decided that he would work more on his step overs and flicks rather than passing and vision, whilst Xavi chose the opposite. Can this tell us something about their personas? It reminds me of the chemicals we release in our brain and how they define our emotions. Someone wil get a buzz over doing a high jump from a board into a pool whereas another will be scared to death to even attempt it. I personally get more of a buzz whenever I made an assist or great pass than when I did scoring.

Different cultural upbringings, and ultimately physiques too. Xavi and Iniesta played a lot (A LOT) of Basketball as kids. Unsurprisingly they were PG/SGs (who are basically the creators of plays in Basketball). Their spatial awareness was engaged and developing at a young age. Likewise their football upbringing was about ball retention and team pla, rather than individuality and skill.

Whereas someone like Ronaldo/Ronaldhino/Robhino grew up in a culture of Futsal which was all about quick feet/skill/creativity.

we have a precedent for giving up huge leads in the CL, and we have an injury crisis.

BUT we also have zlatan and el-shaarawy starting. arsenal can possibly score 4, but can they do it without giving up 2 or 3? doubt it.

Arnie

Looks like halo, so nothing special there. Oh it's got perks now though lol

Well, the best console multiplayer shooter available. So it's special depending on whether you play PCs or consoles, and if you're a fan of multiplayer. And by that qualifier it's right up my alley. Just a shame Reach was shit, so we haven't really had a proper sequel since Halo 3.

Wenger has said that Arsenal will be going out to attack Milan tomorrow. He's told reporters that since Milan scored 4 then Arsenal are also good enough to score 4.

He forgot to mention that Arsenal are also liable to conceed 2 or 3.

I'd hope so.

It's difficult to score four goals(at least) while parking the bus.

Wilbur

Banned
Dembele is a nightmare around the box, too. Alarmingly slick at shifting it and going.

Taking Fulham very seriously now.

He's fantastic, and Ruiz looks great as well. He just need a bit more time to settle in, but Jol's a very good manager and if he can hold onto them and Pogrebynak he should do well. Maybe a push for Europa League next season along with Newcastle, Everton and Sunderland will be fun.

Watched the three games I'm interested in yesterday and starting with United; very lucky to win. I thought Carrick and Scholes would control the midfield but they were poor yesterday. Great win though. Before the City game, I can only see us slipping up against Blackburn inexplicably.

Bilbao were very good, I'm looking forward to the match on Thursday. They move the ball around so well, and their pressing is fantastic. Two good goals by Susaeta as well. Bielsa 4 england plz

Roma ugh. Taking off Lamela for a defender was silly, he's one of the creative outlets that they didn't have after the sending off. So inconsistent, but I hope they give Enrique more time. Didn't really deserve to lose but they had more than enough possession and did nothing with it.

elsk

Banned
ter Stegen (Gladbach) is so far the least-beaten goalkeeper in the top 5 leagues. 2)Neuer 3)Valdés 4)Hart 5)Buffon.

Kyoufu

ter Stegen (Gladbach) is so far the least-beaten goalkeeper in the top 5 leagues. 2)Neuer 3)Valdés 4)Hart 5)Buffon.

Is that counting shots saved or just least goals conceded? Because the latter is a useless statistic considering they're all part of top teams with top class defenders.

Scum

Dammit! Chris beat me to it. :lol

This is one of the most impressive videos on YouTube. Coaches should play this to kids every day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AiyUfxId90
I was looking for this. Simple shit and yet so damn effective. Awesome stuff. :O

we have a precedent for giving up huge leads in the CL, and we have an injury crisis.

BUT we also have zlatan and el-shaarawy starting. arsenal can possibly score 4, but can they do it without giving up 2 or 3? doubt it.

You assholes better fucking win and do it convincingly. I'm tired of Italian teams forgetting their nuts at home when they are in Europe. This is the first time in a long time that I'm not dreading watching an Italian fixture in the CL. I, of course, want Milan to drop points in Serie A and lose to us in Coppa, but in terms of CL? Forza Milan!

elsk

Banned
You assholes better fucking win and do it convincingly. I'm tired of Italian teams forgetting their nuts at home when they are in Europe. This is the first time in a long time that I'm not dreading watching an Italian fixture in the CL. I, of course, want Milan to drop points in Serie A and lose to us in Coppa, but in terms of CL? Forza Milan!

Having Milan in the CL is good for Juve. So they can't focus just on Serie A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom