• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing about video replays is if we had it now for solely the goal-line, calls would eventually come to allow it for decisions all over the pitch from red card decisions to yellow card decisions. Teams would begin to contest decisions just to slow the game down. How do you manage that?

You grow some bollocks and stick to your guns and when they're used and they're not. Every other sport uses them wisely and every team knows the rules. Football is the only world sport where the athletes are consistently pushing the limits of authority.

Forget goal line technology for a second. It was a shit decision by Atkinson. To give that goal he was saying that he was 100% certain that the ball crossed the line. How can he be 100% certain about that? He's had a guess, that's all he's done. And no referee is supposed to guess for any decision.

Thing about video replays is if we had it now for solely the goal-line, calls would eventually come to allow it for decisions all over the pitch from red card decisions to yellow card decisions. Teams would begin to contest decisions just to slow the game down. How do you manage that?

Slippery slope fallacy.

That, but considering how players dive, that a valid concern to some extent.
You could do it like other sports by having a number of appeals you can make, say 3, but you retain them if you are right.

LegoArmo

I remember in the 2006 WC Kuffour absolutely wiping out Iaquinta, like 100% red card, but it was offside so it wasn't called.

Something similar happened in Arsenal's Champions League final against Barcelona, except I think the keeper did get sent off in that case, and the goal disallowed.

How does this work? They get the goal from the advantage and Cech doesn't get sent off because it was a guaranteed goal, whereas sending him off and giving the penalty would not be guaranteed? Or does he get sent off anyway?

That's assuming a red would've been given.

Because he didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity there is no further punishment, if Bale wasn't there it's a red for denying a goal scoring opportunity

Kyoufu

Can we please not use BS excuses to not use technology?

This is the only sport left that doesn't use it and it's SUFFERING because of it.

Forget goal line technology for a second. It was a shit decision by Atkinson. To give that goal he was saying that he was 100% certain that the ball crossed the line. How can he be 100% certain about that?

Look where he was standing and he still gave the goal.

untitled-15u5avh.gif

mxgt

Banned
Forget goal line technology for a second. It was a shit decision by Atkinson. To give that goal he was saying that he was 100% certain that the ball crossed the line. How can he be 100% certain about that?

He can't, obviously

Christ English reffing is absolutely god awful

bjaelke

Mata celebrating. Guy's so cute you can't disagree with him.

Forget goal line technology for a second. It was a shit decision by Atkinson. To give that goal he was saying that he was 100% certain that the ball crossed the line. How can he be 100% certain about that? He's had a guess, that's all he's done. And no referee is supposed to guess for any decision.

I'm 100% percent sure he wasn't 100% sure.

How does this work? They get the goal from the advantage and Cech doesn't get sent off because it was a guaranteed goal, whereas sending him off and giving the penalty would not be guaranteed? Or does he get sent off anyway?

That's assuming a red would've been given.

This is true. In other areas of the pitch, when the ref lets play go on despite a foul he goes back to the offending player and books him. Cech did deny a clear goal scoring opportunity and did foul Adebayor, so by that logic the goal should have let the goal stand and the should have sent the goalkeeper off.

So this is another potentially fatal error by the referee here.

ShogunX

Quite simple really. Either do it like in tennis (couple of call for each team at the captains discretion), Major decisions only or at the Ref's discretion.

Major decisions only is the best one. When a ref is not 100% about a Goal or a red card decision then he should have help.

Something similar happened in Arsenal's Champions League final against Barcelona, except I think the keeper did get sent off in that case, and the goal disallowed.

Don't remind me of that. I would have taken 1-1 with Lehman going into the second half than having Almunia in a heartbeat. Both Barca goals would have been saved by Lehman, we would have gone into extra-time and anything could have happened.

Can we please not use BS excuses to not use technology?

This is the only sport left that doesn't use it and it's SUFFERING because of it.

It's not bullshit excuses and a challenging system would be terrible in football I think. However a fifth ref watching replays and possible on top of that having goal line tech? Yeah.

This is true. In other areas of the pitch, when the ref lets play go on despite a foul he goes back to the offending player and books him. Cech did deny a clear goal scoring opportunity and did foul Adebayor, so by that logic the goal should have let the goal stand and the should have sent the goalkeeper off. Commentator mentions the CL final in 2006 where the same thing happened here but the ref allowed the goal and gave Lehmann the red card.

Nope ref got it right

This is true. In other areas of the pitch, when the ref lets play go on despite a foul he goes back to the offending player and books him. Cech did deny a clear goal scoring opportunity and did foul Adebayor, so by that logic the goal should have stood and the ref should have sent the goalkeeper off. Commentator mentions the CL final in 2006 where the same thing happened here but the ref allowed the goal and gave Lehmann the red card.

How many times can you be wrong in a row?

The red would've been for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. Tottenham scored, so they definitely weren't denied a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
That, but considering how players dive, that a valid concern to some extent.
You could do it like other sports by having a number of appeals you can make, say 3, but you retain them if you are right.

A challenge system simlar to tennis would work. Get the challaege wrong and you lose a substitution. No subs left, no challenges. It would at least make it tactical.

sixghost

Because he didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity there is no further punishment, if Bale wasn't there it's a red for denying a goal scoring opportunity

If Bale decided to let the ball run, would it have been a pen + red card? Similar to how players can ignore the advantage call if they just stop playing.

Fintan

Can a country's football association take it upon themselves to implement goal line tech or replays? Or does that sort of thing require FIFA approval?

G17

Why can't there just be an official in a room somewhere looking with cameras who can communicate with the ref if a call is wrong/right? :S

Minimal time wasting would occur, players will argue with refs and that wastes time anyways.

Kyoufu

Why can't there just be an official in a room somewhere looking with cameras who can communicate with the ref if a call is wrong/right? :S

Minimal time wasting would occur, players will argue with refs and that wastes time anyways.

Because the FA are morons.

rodvik

Can a country's football association take it upon themselves to implement goal line tech or replays? Or does that sort of thing require FIFA approval?

The English FA have said they are considering it. Whether thats something all countries FA's can do or its just because we are the home of football, inventors of the game and have the best league in the world I dont know.

ShogunX

Isn't that what happens in Rugby?

WE CANT COPY RUGBy!1

LegoArmo

Another situation with Arsenal, I think it was this season, if I remember correctly, Szczesny ran out of his box and completely wiped out a player, but only got a yellow because it wasn't a "clear goalscoring opportunity" despite the tackle itself being easily worthy of a red. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? My memory is hazy.

Goalkeepers get away with a bit more, it seems.

Salvadora

Another situation with Arsenal, I think it was this season, if I remember correctly, Szczesny ran out of his box and completely wiped out a player, but only got a yellow because it wasn't a "clear goalscoring opportunity" despite the tackle itself being easily worthy of a red. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? My memory is hazy.

Goalkeepers get away with a bit more, it seems.

I remember that just not the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom