• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

anyone got a gif of the torres goal?

iujukjzGIx09W.gif

GorillaJu

Your anti-United bias is all too clear at times mate. Which is fine, just saying. Didn't think that post was lathered with self-entitlement. You can bet everyone will be going on about the "help" United get from their friends anytime that situation arises. We hear it often enough.

I don't care if the leagues shit or if we're our worst side ever. A title is a title. I kinda doubt there would be so much talk about the league being poor of City were on course to win it.

It is a weaker league than most years and it is a weaker United team than in the past. If we do win it though, United fans and more importantly the manager and players won't e fooling themselves into thinking we're untouchable. Whatever happens the club will be aiming to go even better again next year. Our performances in the cups has been rubbish and that's not good enough for us. Nobody is forgetting that. As I said, a title is a title, will be even sweeter if people wanna knock it down as a second-rate one.

I have a tendency to be overly negative when in the face of a mob. If there weren't so damn many of you I wouldn't care about any team but Liverpool FC.

To elaborate, alleging that because you have ex United players on the team you're opposing on the last league game day, they'll probably just roll over so they don't "rob" you of a title is horrible on many levels, entitlement just one of those (I realize you didn't say this, I'm just explaining my point). Is there no integrity at all in this sport? Would you prefer that there wasn't any integrity if it meant an easier ride to the top?

I'm not that bothered by the team winning the league being United, but it must be said that for all the wins you've ground out, you've only been convincing in a minority of them. I know you won't agree. But it's a bit like watching a boxer or fighter who just smothers the other guy until the round ends and doesn't ever make an attempt to KO him. He won the fight fairly, but all anyone can think about is how much they'd like to see him get his teeth knocked out when a boxer with some grit and flair comes along. It's a bit of an exaggeration - there have been individual moments of brilliance that have kept United at the top this year.

Feorax

Mancini not happy with Balotelli again. He seems to be criticizing him quite a lot recently, although maybe that's just me.

doicare

If united win the title, it really shows how poor the epl is this season imo
Sure..... because it couldn't be because most of the top sides have had horrendous injuries this season except for Man City who managed to remain almost injury free until a few weeks ago, and now they have a few injuries themselves they're not playing as well.....

elsk

Banned
Pretty boring games all around (after yesterdays Dortmund - Stuttgart game)...

Borussia Dortmund Vs VFB Stuttgart Full Highlights [4-4] HD (some 15 mins most of which are goal scenes..)
hf.

Klopp is such an idiot for taking out Gündogan for the still recovering Bender. Everything went to shit after that.

Stuttgart is a very weird team. They have huge ups and downs... I hope they play the EL next season.

Thanks for the highlights.
edit: What a pass by Gundogan on the 20 minute!

Salazar

To elaborate, alleging that because you have ex United players on the team you're opposing on the last league game day, they'll probably just roll over

I don't think "roll over" was the thing being predicted. Just something short of utter, angry determination. MoN is a mad bastard, though, and Sunderland are a good side. I definitely want that game to be irrelevant.

Hixx

Can anyone confirm Mancini didn't shake hands with MoN? Turned the game off in frustration as soon as the whistle went...

Catania Milan 0-1 at the end of the first half, Catania can be dangerous. We should score as soon as possible in the second half, just to close the match and start thinking about Barcelona.

Kyoufu

Can't believe Arsenal lost to QPR. Lightning's tears will be sweet.

Chelsea winning means we absolutely MUST win tomorrow or we're fucked.

Hixx

Got to be relatively pleased with battering City for long stretches, though.

Absolutely, it's gone some way to repairing the depression tuesday brought on ha. We're the only team that have taken 4 points off them this season as well which is excellent.

Wilbur

Banned
I have a tendency to be overly negative when in the face of a mob. If there weren't so damn many of you I wouldn't care about any team but Liverpool FC.

We are threatening bastards, it must be said.

I'm not that bothered by the team winning the league being United, but it must be said that for all the wins you've ground out, you've only been convincing in a minority of them. I know you won't agree. But it's a bit like watching a boxer or fighter who just smothers the other guy until the round ends and doesn't ever make an attempt to KO him. He won the fight fairly, but all anyone can think about is how much they'd like to see him get his teeth knocked out when a boxer with some grit and flair comes along. It's a bit of an exaggeration - there have been individual moments of brilliance that have kept United at the top this year.

To be honest, I do agree. We haven't been our sparkling best, but it gets on my nerves whenever we're first or we win and all of a sudden everyone's saying its a poor league or we're just the team that performed less shit than everyone else. Yes, it most certainly isn't the strongest league, but if City had won then there'd be a lot more praise for them in some quarters I think.

I also think it's exaggerated how poor the league is. The top of it, we're not as good ast the strongest from other leagues, but you've got pretty strong mid-table teams like Everton, Sunderland, Swansea and Fulham, who can give anyone a game on their day. It's just regarded as shit in a lot more areas when we suddenly win it.

I'm not saying you're one of those people by the way, you're absolutely right that it's moments rather than consistent brilliance that will win us the title (if we do).

Massive moment today. While I wish that Sunderland could have held on, it's a great point for them. Regardless of letting two goals in, they're the first team to hold City to a point. Brilliant morale booster.

Wilbur

Banned
Pretty boring games all around (after yesterdays Dortmund - Stuttgart game)...

Borussia Dortmund Vs VFB Stuttgart Full Highlights [4-4] HD (some 15 mins most of which are goal scenes..)
hf.

Klopp is such an idiot for taking out Gündogan for the still recovering Bender. Everything went to shit after that.

Awesome game as well, highlights are brilliant, I saw them earlier. I haven't seen too much of Dortmund this year, how is Gundogan doing? Is he a player in the Sahin mould?

Sahin was brilliant against APOEL the other day.

And you should have watched the City game haha, was great fun.

Clegg

I was surprised at how fragile City looked in defence.

Sunderland scored 3 but had a few good chances to make it more.

Sessegnon really is a cracking player.

To elaborate, alleging that because you have ex United players on the team you're opposing on the last league game day, they'll probably just roll over so they don't "rob" you of a title is horrible on many levels, entitlement just one of those (I realize you didn't say this, I'm just explaining my point). Is there no integrity at all in this sport? Would you prefer that there wasn't any integrity if it meant an easier ride to the top?

I don't know if we're a mob. There are lots of us so I guess it can be annoying.

Players rolling over or not giving their maximum IS a slight on integrity and I don't think any fan wants to see that. I just don't think Empty said he expects players to roll over for us, just that it wouldn't be a surprise if players who have spent years at United aren't inclined to give it 110% on that day. I agree with him. I'm not demanding they help us, but I can see them not being super up for it. Empty has explained his post himself now anyway.

As far as the quality of the United side. I'd agree, in our 30 games so far, for the majority we haven't sparkled. Of course, you cannot every week, but no doubt we have been boring at times and I don't like it. Winning is the main objective but winning in style also matters plenty, it's been tough to watch us at times over the last few season because we have been dull in spells. Now that perhaps is a grudge borne out of entitlement, I should be glad we're winning full stop, and I am.

I just don't think we are that functional. The team always looks to attack, we're scoring lots of goals, integrating young players and of course have missed many through injury. It's just a bit annoying that people want to declare us as potential winners by default rather than on merit. As I say, if City were leading I don't think it would be a case of "well of course they are everyone else is rubbish".

Kyoufu

Sounds daft but it would be a little bit frustrating if we beat Newcastle tomorrow because it would just sum our season up brilliantly.

That doesn't make much sense. What do you mean?

edit: do you mean failing to play against lesser teams but turning up against higher ones?

ANOTHER goal that goes over the line not called for us. at least that one was close though to be fair.

and prince was called offisde when on a breakaway and it wasn't anywhere near being offside. this is insane.

edit: maybe it wasn't over the line. i was relying on the commentators saying it was but pics make it much harder to see.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Chelsea are on a good run.

I'm still not convinced. They conceded two horrible goals today against a dreadful Villa side, lost meekly to City two weeks ago and scraped a point at home to Spurs last week. Their other wins have been against Stoke, Brimingham, Leicester, Benfica and Napoli. Their weaknesses haven't gone away.

Sealda

Banned
Terrible match between Catania and Milan.

Milan completely confused/disoriented and must be already thinking about the Barca match next week...

Im just waiting for Milan to sell Al Sharawi so that he 2 years later is an awesome football player in some other top club and everybody says "They should never sold him!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom