• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

"Swansea have confirmed they have had a bid of £6.8million for Gylfi Sigurdsson accepted."

"Personal terms also agreed with Sigurdsson."

steal

Lucky fucks. I'd imagine Sigurdsson picked Swansea because he was already familiar there, worked brilliantly with the rest of the team, played superbly and is pretty much repaying the faith the club showed him.

A true pro.

I never really got my hopes too high, only for a day or so.

I'd be very surprised if its United, I can't imagine us letting a player announce this kind of thing himself. (Plus it's just too expensive a deal for us to afford).

No doubt he's going to Chelsea, but didn't his agent say in The Guardian they agreed terms with all three clubs? It's just down to where Hazard wants to go.

Personally, I'd rather we pick up a CM (say, M'Vila?) and Kagawa. It would probably work out to just over the equivalent of Hazard's transfer fee.

We could probably afford it but that would be most of the budget gone. The recent figures were very bad, it would be unexpected for us to spend close to £50m this summer.

Weren't those figures released pre-seasonal revenues? Read estimates since that cash reserves are likely back in the territory of 70m. 50m gross spend, with Berbatov, Park and assorted Reserve players sold, would ultimately lead to a tempered 35m net expenditure. Certainly possible, especially if we cut back next summer.

Nah but even more respectable english papers starts writing headlines like "Hazard demands number 10". Then reading the quotes he says "of course it's a dream to play in the 10'er role with 10 on my back", it's pathetic.

That quote was ridiculous and it didn't even stem from Hazard's demand nor anything. Basically what happened was Wilmots (the new national team coach ad interim, since the old one left his job out of the blue) decided to give him the nr 10 jersey/role since Wilmots rates him pretty high and the Belgium team needed a proper number 10 desperately. He used to play as a winger/benchwarmer under the previous coach.

Wilmots said he watched Hazard at Lille this season and saw him flourish in that more central role. Then medias asked Hazard directly and he confirmed he likes the position. That's about it. He didn't even mention wanting the number 10 role at Chelsea/United/City. Of course the spin put on the whole story by the brit medias makes it more fun.

That being said, he clearly enjoys the fact he can afford to pick between 3 big PL clubs and can't deny he comes accross as an annoying brat. I think he'll end up picking United this afternoon, he would fit in properly. Probably 60% United, 35% Chelsea, 5% City. Time for United fans to believe. ^^

Well, yeah, I wouldn't be sad if we didn't sign Bendtner but I guess he could be a good option. Depends on how it looks with Lewandowski's new contract. If he stays, Lewy, Schieber and Ducksch would be enough for me.

I only heard good things of Eriksen but I don't really want him. Götze, Reus, Leitner, Gündogan, Bittencourt and Amini in the second team, we really could spend money better than on another CM lol
I don't think Duksch is ready yet, dunno and I really don't think Lew's going to leave, but if he did - Bendtner would be a huge letdown/dip in quality as a direct sub, lol
I thought Eriksen is more of a CAM, a role which would be filled by Götze/Reus now that Kagawa has left. But if Kuba leaves Götze will go back on the right wing, while Reus will be the CAM most of the times, however he's more like Müller in his style, so I'm not sure he'd be able to play to his full potential in close-quarter situations (vs. park the bus teams). Even with Kuba leaving, we still have enough quality in the attacking midfield, but I'd still rather have someone else come in, just to be sure. What else are you going to do with all that transfer surplus?

Fry

Oh god, Kagawa, Hazard, Klopp, I hate the transfer window. Teams should sign players before the season is even over.

Arnie

Klopp talk silly, it'll be Martinez.

Those Guardian rumours crack me up too. Lavezzi and Cavani? At this point they aren't even pretending they have a source.

Dire time for Liverpool fans, seemingly amazing one for Chelsea fans.

No doubt he's going to Chelsea, but didn't his agent say in The Guardian they agreed terms with all three clubs? It's just down to where Hazard wants to go.

Personally, I'd rather we pick up a CM (say, M'Vila?) and Kagawa. It would probably work out to just over the equivalent of Hazard's transfer fee.

Weren't those figures pre-seasonal revenues? Read estimates since that cash reserves are likely back in the territory of 70m. 50m gross spend, with Berbatov, Park and assorted Reserve players sold, would ultimately lead to a tempered 35m gross expenditure. Certainly possible, especially if we cut back next summer.
I think his agent meant that negotiations can be finalised with each club, not that they'd been agreed as such, but even if that were the case, seems very likely he's going to Chelsea.

Figures were seasonal and cash reserves are probably up to £70m, but that means nothing really, last summer the reserves were £150m. The hesitancy in spending big will be because a big spend will reduce the IPO valuation. I can't see the Glazer's sanctioning £50m of spending, it is possible for the club to spend that much (more even), I just don't think we will be allowed to.

What's this from?
Torres in the Spanish team presser.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Klopp talk silly, it'll be Martinez.

Those Guardian rumours crack me up too. Lavezzi and Cavani? At this point they aren't even pretending they have a source.

Dire time for Liverpool fans, seemingly amazing one for Chelsea fans.

It's one or the other. They wont sell them both.

Wilbur

Banned
It's one or the other. They wont sell them both.

Lavezzi's been in contact with Inter hasn't he? Also where does Hamsik fit into this? We were linked with him a few years ago, I like him.

Bet Inler's pissed, left Napoli and then Udinese auto qualify for CL lol

I don't think Duksch is ready yet, dunno and I really don't think Lew's going to leave, but if he did - Bendtner would be a huge letdown/dip in quality as a direct sub, lol
I thought Eriksen is more of a CAM, a role which would be filled by Götze/Reus now that Kagawa has left. But if Kuba leaves Götze will go back on the right wing, while Reus will be the CAM most of the times, however he's more like Müller in his style, so I'm not sure he'd be able to play to his full potential in close-quarter situations (vs. park the bus teams). Even with Kuba leaving, we still have enough quality in the attacking midfield, but I'd still rather have someone else come in, just to be sure. What else are you going to do with all that transfer surplus?

Yeah, Ducksch definately needs at least another season but Lewandowski is a machine and unbreakable lol, so Schieber would be enough if Lewandowski stays.

I'm not sure, CAM or CM but it doesn't really matter. Depends on where Klopp sees Bittencourt and Leitner for the next season and whether Kuba stays or not. If Bittencourt is planned as Gündogan replacement/option I could see Leitner playing a bigger role as CAM.

Wilbur

Banned
Greg Stobart says Hazard to Chelsea is a done deal.

Pretty much confirmed, he is spot on mostly.

It's fucking mad haha, two players signed with no manager, and Modric was the same last summer. Don't get the way Roman works sometimes...

They should just get a coach in; AVB, Mourinho and Guardiola are people who want to oversee everything.

Question; why do Dortmund fans call Kuba Kuba?

fuenf

Yeah, but that's in Bremen, this quota is more or less consistent with Bremen's exploits + he got injured at some point. He's got one of the best goals per game quotas in the Bundesliga.

You might righht but these signings are far from a sure thing. I mean remember Ze Roberto, when he left Bayern and signed for the HSV everybody was like "how could they let him go" and then in the second half of the season he suddenly fell of a cliff (exactly the same thing happenend in his 2nd season). I just worry that it might be the same with Pizza..

Btw. saw this Kagawa highlight reel @ RedCafe ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7Dg3Kdh_rtI ) and i'm starting to wonder how Dortmund will compensate his loss. It's amazing how many times he pulled a goal or an assist out of his ass. His consistency last season was incredible and i reall thinky he (and not Lewa) should've been footballer of the year. Sure you got Reuß but you'll still lose a ton of creativity. I wonder if Klopp might tweak the system a little bit.

(sorry still hung over, cant even sort my thoughts properly, hope you can still understand what i mean)

edit: crazy took me like 20minutes to write this shit... :( fuck partying. anyway EUPHORIA!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lavezzi's been in contact with Inter hasn't he? Also where does Hamsik fit into this? We were linked with him a few years ago, I like him.

Bet Inler's pissed, left Napoli and then Udinese auto qualify for CL lol

Inter and PSG I think. Hamsik extended his contract, and (according to him) wants to be Napoli's Del Piero.

LOLnler. He chose Napoli over Juve as well!

I think his agent meant that negotiations can be finalised with each club, not that they'd been agreed as such, but even if that were the case, seems very likely he's going to Chelsea.

Hazard's agent, John Bico, says terms have already been agreed with all suitors. "We are no longer in the negotiations stage," he told the Daily Telegraph. "We have reached agreement with all parties. There will be no higher bid.

Erm?

Do agree that he's likely going to Chelsea, though, given the wages they could offer, and the space in their team for him to be the main man.

Figures were seasonal and cash reserves are probably up to £70m, but that means nothing really, last summer the reserves were £150m. The hesitancy in spending big will be because a big spend will reduce the IPO valuation. I can't see the Glazer's sanctioning £50m of spending, it is possible for the club to spend that much (more even), I just don't think we will be allowed to.

This sounds quite sensible, actually. But from what I've seen, just talking generally, there's a decent number of prospective shareholders out there who are myopic about debt, long-term trends and management - not to say we aren't a well-run club - and all-consumed in revenue numbers. And football is an innately risky industry, so you'll likely be attracting that kind of investor. I think 20-35m net spend is feasible. We'll see over the next few months, I suppose.

Criscito won't be at Euro 2012, Albertini said a few minutes ago. He may be involved with what happened this morning, but he said that he just went out to dinner with a couple of Genoa supporters and that he's innocent.

Pretty straightforward decision, but sadly we lose a great defender that would've definitely helped us.

Wilbur

Banned
Inter and PSG I think. Hamsik extended his contract, and (according to him) wants to be Napoli's Del Piero.

LOLnler. He chose Napoli over Juve as well!

Vidal > Inler. Weep in joy.

It's on the back of his shirt, so it's not only Dortmund fans. And no one wants to call him Błaszczykowski.

His first name is Jakub, so I guess that's why.

Ah yeah I thought about getting rid of Dortmund in that sentence after I wrote it, but I didn't care enough aha. Sweet thanks.

Erm?

Do agree that he's likely going to Chelsea, though, given the wages they could offer, and the space in their team for him to be the main man.

This sounds quite sensible, actually. But from what I've seen, just talking generally, there's a decent number of prospective shareholders out there who are myopic about debt, long-term trends and management - not to say we aren't a well-run club - and all-consumed in revenue numbers. And football is an innately risky industry, so you'll likely be attracting that kind of investor. I think 20-35m net spend is feasible. We'll see over the next few months, I suppose.
The actual quote came from the Belgian media and it was a little bit different, cant't remember what it was exactly now. Plus it seems City never agreed to pay what they wanted in the first place, so I doubt a final agreement was made with every team and it was just a case of Hazard picking one team.

Yeah it is sensible, the problem with the IPO will be the valuation the Glazer's put on it.

Wilbur

Banned
If Hazard signs for Chelsea then City will begin looking at other targets.

Makes me slightly nervous.

I don't think they need any attacking targets. They need a centre midfielder and a centre back but that's it until they ship someone out.

Clegg

Hazard would have been a pretty sweet buy I think.

Don't Chelsea have de Bruyne aswell?

They do but I don't think he'll be a regular next season.

If Chelsea get Hazard and Hulk they'll be monstrous next season.

Still expect City to make a big signing this summer.

The actual quote came from the Belgian media and it was a little bit different, cant't remember what it was exactly now. Plus it seems City never agreed to pay what they wanted in the first place, so I doubt a final agreement was made with every team and it was just a case of Hazard picking one team.

Okay. Wouldn't surprise me, that a British paper re-framed a story into, almost blatant, distortion.

Wilbur

Banned
They do but I don't think he'll be a regular next season.

If Chelsea get Hazard and Hulk they'll be monstrous next season.

Still expect City to make a big signing this summer.

Was just saying to bro that if Hulk, Hazard, Kagawa come to the PL as well as Podolski already being there... Should be fun to watch next year. Some great players in the league.

Slizz

Puma make really classy comfortable kits. Like the italian away kit.

Really wish I got one of these during the WC:

ivcaway.png

Yeah, Ducksch definately needs at least another season but Lewandowski is a machine and unbreakable lol, so Schieber would be enough if Lewandowski stays.

I'm not sure, CAM or CM but it doesn't really matter. Depends on where Klopp sees Bittencourt and Leitner for the next season and whether Kuba stays or not. If Bittencourt is planned as Gündogan replacement/option I could see Leitner playing a bigger role as CAM.
True, but then imagine if Lewa (Spaghettimonster forbid) still gets injured and Schieber is not all there yet, or maybe injured too. You really want to see Duksch up front in that case? In CL too? :p Too much of a gamble, I'm sure they either want to sign both Schieber and Bendtner or they'd rather get someone else than rely on a super young talent. That's what my intuition is telling me, at least.

Bittencourt and Leitner will not stand a chance vs. Gündogan unless they hit the gym or something, they're both like pre-highschool kids in their physique ;(
Even if Gündogan is injured Klopp is probably more likely to field Kehl & Bender...me thinks.
Leitner could very well be moved to CAM and do well, while Bittencourt will be slowly built up and built into the team. Again, relying on only them could very well work out, but would also be seen as a gamble.

You might righht but these signings are far from a sure thing. I mean remember Ze Roberto, when he left Bayern and signed for the HSV everybody was like "how could they let him go" and then in the second half of the season he suddenly fell of a cliff (exactly the same thing happenend in his 2nd season). I just worry that it might be the same with Pizza..

Btw. saw this Kagawa highlight reel @ RedCafe ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7Dg3Kdh_rtI ) and i'm starting to wonder how Dortmund will compensate his loss. It's amazing how many times he pulled a goal or an assist out of his ass. His consistency last season was incredible and i reall thinky he (and not Lewa) should've been footballer of the year. Sure you got Reuß but you'll still lose a ton of creativity. I wonder if Klopp might tweak the system a little bit.

(sorry still hung over, cant even sort my thoughts properly, hope you can still understand what i mean)

edit: crazy took me like 20minutes to write this shit... :( fuck partying. anyway EUPHORIA!
Pizza will do just fine, shut up lol
I'm sure Reus will compensate for him very well in the important games (where the strategy is reactionary football) and he's always dangerous and good a long distance goal: something we lacked entirely (if it wasn't for the few times Perisic played). He was doing great at it in Gladbach and I don't see why he wouldn't do great in Dortmund.
In the games vs. "park the bus" teams Götze will most likely take the CAM role and probably do not much worse than Kagawa.
It is a great loss and if it wasn't for Reus, I'd be anxious about the new season, but since we got Reus I don't expect us to become worse. We also managed to play without him in the second half of 10/11 and did just fine with Lewandowski (and sometimes Götze) as CAM/SS.

If Hazard signs for Chelsea then City will begin looking at other targets.

Makes me slightly nervous.

City probably has zero name recognition in Japan. I'm sure that part of the reason why Kagawa wants to move it to attract domestic sponsorship. I only see Arsenal as your rival here.

LegoArmo

Baines, Asamoah, Kagawa and whoever that young striker we've been linked with would be perfect business for me.

I guess if Fabio is going on loan, we need a left back. Evra gets a lot of hate, but even with him being shit, no first choice right back, a "dodgy" keeper for the first half of the season and Vidic being out all year, United kept the most clean sheets of any team in the league.

Wilbur

Banned
I guess if Fabio is going on loan, we need a left back. Evra gets a lot of hate, but even with him being shit, no first choice right back, a "dodgy" keeper for the first half of the season and Vidic being out all year, United kept the most clean sheets of any team in the league.

I would attribute that to fine work by De Gea, Evans and Ferdinand rather than Evra. His first few years I loved the man, but he's been shit for a good 2, 3 seasons now. He's past the point of no return for me.

And if Vidic comes back and isn't the player he used to be... I will tear out my heart and poo all over it. I've missed Vida so much

Ashes

Banned
Erm?

how much did we spend last season?

LegoArmo

I would attribute that to fine work by De Gea, Evans and Ferdinand rather than Evra. His first few years I loved the man, but he's been shit for a good 2, 3 seasons now. He's past the point of no return for me.

And if Vidic comes back and isn't the player he used to be... I will tear out my heart and poo all over it. I've missed Vida so much

Yeah, I agree, I just think it shouldn't be a priority. Baines would probably add a few more goals to the team though, from free kicks and better corner delivery.

If I was the manager, I'd just buy 2 centre mids and call it a day, honestly.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, I agree, I just think it shouldn't be a priority. Baines would probably add a few more goals to the team though, from free kicks and better corner delivery.

If I was the manager, I'd just buy 2 centre mids and call it a day, honestly.

I think we need one to play centrally; Cleverley, Carrick and new player should be the ones we base it around, as well as if Fletch comes back and Scholes/Giggs acting as back up. I'd love to see us go 4-2-3-1 next season but I think Fergie is going to play 2 up front a lot of the time. It'll be interesting to see how Kagawa fits in because the Rooney-Welbeck partnership is promising.

K1LLER7

U guys remember that source last week who said to the BBC that hazard to United and was going to announce a move on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom