• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mutterings that Vertonghen is having his Spurs medical today at Holly House hospital.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
blabLurn said:
anyone following the nba?

MIAAAAAMIIIIIIIIII

HAHA context?

I stopped watching after Derrick Rose's injury. (the..fourth one?)
30M€ + Matri for Cavani? I'd be okay with that, but it's not gonna happen. Cavani is gonna stay at Napoli.

We're getting closer and closer to Asamoah from Udinese, apparently. I think 16M€ is actually a pretty realistic price, if that's indeed what Pozzo is asking. I'm glad Marrone is staying with us, I'd hate to see him being used as a bargaining chip. Having Marrone + Pogba + Verratti on the bench next season would be fantastic, but I'm pretty sure Verratti is staying at Pescara for another year.

So it's gonna be Asamoah + Damiao for us, I guess. Not the WC striker I wanted, but eh, he'll have to do.

I knew Conte was going to keep Marrone <3

We should probably start looking for a vice-Chiellini, that Coppa game with Napoli was horrifying.

Yen

Rob Stewart &#8207;@RobStewart_
Just told by very good source high up in footy circles that Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers has actually accepted Liverpool manager's job #lfc

Goal.com and FourFourTwo reporter.

Ian McGarry &#8207;@garbosj
Swansea have received request from #LFC to be allowed to speak with manager Brendan Rodgers. #Swans

You will find anti-semetic chanting in England too, at some PL grounds. Racism too. Doesn't mean people's safety is at risk.

It's all about scale in my opinion. Looks like that kind of hooliganism is more widespread/tolerated there, reminds me of the situation in most western countries in the 80s.

As usual, big sporting events are a good opportunity to try pressure their governing bodies into taking measures. Not to say it will happen but now is a good time. Some pretty damning evidences in that report.

PaulLFC

Ian McGarry @garbosj
14s
Swansea have received request from #LFC to be allowed to speak with manager Brendan Rodgers. #Swans

Fry

Ian McGarry &#8207;@garbosj

Who is less worst, BR or Martinez?

Why are they going for relegation sides managers? I don't get it.

Wilbur

Banned

They're young, improving, progressive managers who play good football, have a clear philosophy, make good buys, could be at the club for years, are at clubs where they're likely to be enticed by Liverpool, wouldn't cost much, have good media relations and image, who have done well with the teams they're currently in charge of.

A lot of reasons really.

Yen

Swansea finished 5 points behind us, Wigan finished 9 points behind us. I much prefer Rodgers. Martinez' football is a bit more exciting but Swansea's style of play is very controlling, almost pass and move-like. I actually don't mind euther *Rafa above both) but they are both a gamble.

Fry

They're young, improving, progressive managers who play good football, have a clear philosophy, make good buys, could be at the club for years, are at clubs where they're likely to be enticed by Liverpool, wouldn't cost much, have good media relations and image, who have done well with the teams they're currently in charge of.

A lot of reasons really.

OK, let's just say it's a gamble.

Swiss ramble posted this today about Milan's economical situation:
http://swissramble.blogspot.se/2012/05/milan-warning-signs.html
Great read, even if it shows how our future isn't going to be nice.
Those Milan numbers are scary. I'm more curious to see what Juventus' numbers come to now that they've recovered from their 'banishment', qualified for Champion's League, and now own their stadium. It seems to me that Milan have almost no way to increase their revenue without heavy player sales which is unsustainable. What kind of youth system do they have? It really shows how out of hand spending has become in the sport across Europe.

Our youth system is basically:
1. buy a bunch of young but useless players each summer (usually 10-12 guys per year)
2. wait for them to develop
3. again, wait their development
4. hope that you can sell/loan a couple of them 2-3 years later
5. try to loan other players from the top clubs in Europe, like Aquilani, Sahin, Keita and so on.

On top of that, Berlusconi doesn't want to spend anymore on Milan. So, when our balance is like the one from this year, he just tries to lower our debts by giving money from Finivest, which is his first company. Plus, his son and his daughter see Milan as a bottomless pit, and doesn't want to see any more euros thrown in our direction.
Being forced to play with the same players for ten years (so Milan don't have to spend a lot on new players), when it's pretty clear that their performances aren't no longer near their usual level (mainly Seedorf, Gattuso, Zambrotta and Pirlo, which had some bad season before leaving us) blocks any attempt to make the team grow, which results in bad leagues and getting knocked out in the first leg of the Champions League. Having huge salaries for those players without winning anything isn't (wasn't, actually. Next year things will be a bit different) sustainable anymore, so we keep falling down.

Our priorities should be:
1. build a new stadium, and start thinking about it now. We're already late, staying at San Siro until 2030 would be tragic. Money will show up sooner or later, if it's a smart project.
2. create a proper youth system, not that sloppy thing that we have today.
3. let other investors come in. Berlusconi want to held the majority of the shares? Fine, let him stay at his place, while somebody else bring in the money.

Obviously, none of them will ever see the sunlight, until we'll have Berlusconi as major shareholder. Which keep saying that we won (with him as president) 28 trophies in 26 years, like it's something to brag about every time we lose. But whatever, what matter is that he has fun with his burlesque stuff.

Carbonox

Am I the only one who thinks that Rodgers leaving Swansea for Liverpool is a huge mistake? He gets Sigurdsson on a permanent deal, had a great project going with Swansea, with improvements possibly allowing for even more awesome next season, then he goes and drops it all by going to a club that - IMO - is too big for him and I can't see him being successful?

Then there's Liverpool and why they're even considering him in the first place.

I just read Wilbury's post above. Still, something's off about all of this.

A lot of reasons really.

Snappy dressers too.

Rodgers is a proper student of the game though. I think he could do very well at Liverpool if he goes there.

Duncan Jenkins says the search for the new LFC manager is over. Usually he is right.

A lot of reasons really.

Yeah, I think either would be a good move, actually. It's better than bringing in a mediocre 'big club' name.

Yen

Rodgers is a proper student of the game though. I think he could do very well at Liverpool if he goes there.

One of the reasons I want him. Already travelled Europe looking at the biggest clubs' coaching techniques and now he's spending a week with Spain. Smart guy.

Not that you needed him to fuel your City hatred right? ;)

I actually think dc89's posts are hilarious in a ridiculous way and they are not harmful at least.

Agreed.

anyone following the nba?

MIAAAAAMIIIIIIIIII

http://h9.abload.de/img/untitled-2n29k6.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

And there goes the love...

[quote="TheLucifer, post: 38298529"]Great read, even if it shows how our future isn't going to be nice.

Our youth system is basically:
1. buy a bunch of young but useless players each summer (usually 10-12 guys per year)
2. wait for them to develop
3. again, wait their development
4. hope that you can sell/loan a couple of them 2-3 years later
5. try to loan other players from the top clubs in Europe, like Aquilani, Sahin, Keita and so on.

On top of that, Berlusconi doesn't want to spend anymore on Milan. So, when our balance is like the one from this year, he just tries to lower our debts by giving money from Finivest, which is his first company. Plus, his son and his daughter see Milan as a bottomless pit, and doesn't want to see any more euros thrown in our direction.
Being forced to play with the same players for ten years (so Milan don't have to spend a lot on new players), when it's pretty clear that their performances aren't no longer near their usual level (mainly Seedorf, Gattuso, Zambrotta and Pirlo, which had some bad season before leaving us) blocks any attempt to make the team grow, which results in bad leagues and getting knocked out in the first leg of the Champions League. Having huge salaries for those players without winning anything isn't (wasn't, actually. Next year things will be a bit different) sustainable anymore, so we keep falling down.

Our priorities should be:
1. build a new stadium, and start thinking about it now. We're already late, staying at San Siro until 2030 would be tragic. Money will show up sooner or later, if it's a smart project.
2. create a proper youth system, not that sloppy thing that we have today.
3. let other investors come in. Berlusconi want to held the majority of the shares? Fine, let him stay at his place, while somebody else bring in the money.

Obviously, none of them will ever see the sunlight, until we'll have Berlusconi as major shareholder. Which keep saying that we won (with him as president) 28 trophies in 26 years, like it's something to brag about every time we lose. But whatever, what matter is that he has fun with his burlesque stuff.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on those priorities, and while I love Berlusconi (for all the wrong reasons, sorry) he doesn't seem to be the right man to own the club anymore. I still think that Milan's financial situation provides some great insight into the state of the game in general though.

Being out of town this weekend means I missed all things Aston Villa Manager Talk. Any progress? Is Benitez truly coming forward as the most likely candidate?

Hieberrr

Man, those videos .... as an Asian person, shit like this makes me not want to go to these countries for these types of events.

With security and ushers just standing by while people are getting beaten up by 5 guys... fuck that ...

What I can't come to understand is the hate for Jews. They were people from your country... heck, a world war happened as a result of their killing. How the hell do you support that?!

Fry

One of the reasons I want him. Already travelled Europe looking at the biggest clubs' coaching techniques and now he's spending a week with Spain. Smart guy.

Bastard should have put the Sigurdsson signing on hold though, if you know what I mean.

PaulLFC

Duncan Jenkins says the search for the new LFC manager is over. Usually he is right.
Yep, Jenkins is usually spot on:

duncan jenkins &#8207;@duncanjenkinsFC
the search for the new #lfc manager is over.

Messi

So I called the Barca store to find out when the delayed kits would be sent out to me (the dates on the site changed to august, but this happened the last 3 years. first orders get them in may the rest wait until august). I wanted to find out if my kits would be shipped on thursday or friday. I have 1 day shipping. I am going on holidays on tuesday, but monday is a bank holiday. That means if the kits ship on thursday ill get them on friday and have them for my hols. Ship on friday they arrive on tuesday (due to the weekend and the holiday) and I dont get them in time.

She tells me, at the end of the week. So I asked does that mean friday, and she says thursday or friday.

So essentially I am still at square one :)

Carbonox

Nice. I definitely rate the guy, don't get me wrong, but I feel right now isn't the time to step to a club like Liverpool. Would have loved to have seen another year with Swansea in the Premier League under him.

But good luck to him anyway. I truly hope he does well.

Slizz

Man, those videos .... as an Asian person, shit like this makes me not want to go to these countries for these types of events.

With security and ushers just standing by while people are getting beaten up by 5 guys... fuck that ...

What I can't come to understand is the hate for Jews. They were people from your country... heck, a world war happened as a result of their killing. How the hell do you support that?!

Old habits are hard to break?

It's crazy how Jew doesn't really mean a person of Jewish-faith to the Ultras, instead its another way to insult the opposition regardless if they are Jewish or not.

GorillaJu

Rodgers is about the best manager Liverpool could hope to land. Would have been happy with Martínez but I'm happier with Rodgers. I want him to have a long, successful career at Liverpool.

Interesting that the manager job seems to be getting wrapped up before the Sporting and Technical director jobs. Maybe the other two are already set and LFC are looking to unveil them all at once as a big team.

PaulLFC

Stephen Skillen &#8207;@sskillen1
@duncanjenkinsFC good cliffhanger. Maybe you should go in to novels, instead of sports journalism

6m duncan jenkins &#8207;@duncanjenkinsFC
@sskillen1 not meant to be a cliffhanger. been told not to blab the name or my mole will get in trouble as will i. giving you all what i can

Hmmm. Surely he would have just said it's Rodgers if it was (and indeed if he does actually know who it is)? Everywhere else right now is saying Rodgers, so that would hardly get him in trouble.

@duncanjenkinsFC good cliffhanger. Maybe you should go in to novels, instead of sports journalism

@sskillen1 not meant to be a cliffhanger. been told not to blab the name or my mole will get in trouble as will i. giving you all what i can

Hmmm. Surely he would have just said it's Rodgers if it was (and indeed if he does actually know who it is)? Everywhere else right now is saying Rodgers, so that would hardly get him in trouble.
I don't think so. If he has a source, and he clearly does since he gets things right so often, and he's been told to keep quiet...he will, no need to risk it.

Yen

duncan jenkins &#8207;@duncanjenkinsFC
@harts_s its not klopp mates you can take that to the bank and smoke it.

GorillaJu

He's just trying to drum up our very own flavor of the Eden Hazard story.

It'll be Rodgers. The biggest key for me were the reports that people in his hometown were suddenly pouring money on him at the bookies. Must have told his family and word got out.

PaulLFC

I don't think so. If he has a source, and he clearly does since he gets things right so often, and he's been told to keep quiet...he will, no need to risk it.
I don't doubt he's right, he's been right in the past. I was just surprised he didn't say it was Rodgers since it's not exactly new info today that we're at least wanting to talk to him. That made me think it might be Martinez, or someone else entirely. Either that or he could just want to stay quiet as you said, and it could be Rodgers.

Rory Smith &#8207;@RorySmithTimes
If @duncanjenkinsfc says it's over, it most likely is.

Meier

If he truly does have a great mole who has asked him to be quiet, it doesn't really serve to offer up confirmation of the individual either way. It sounds like the writing is on the wall though.. and for Rodgers to do what he did with Swansea is a very impressive feat. Seems like a great hire.

Monti, speaking about what happened yesterday with the betting scandal: "we should stop football for 2-3 years". Yeah, sure, football is Italy's no. 1 problem. Let's stop Serie A, B, C, D, who cares about those thousands of workers that earn €1000 per month, their bank account is just like Ibra's one.
I agree with you on those priorities, and while I love Berlusconi (for all the wrong reasons, sorry) he doesn't seem to be the right man to own the club anymore. I still think that Milan's financial situation provides some great insight into the state of the game in general though.
Well, if Italy had elections/referendums every year, Milan would be one of the first club in the world: Berlusconi always used his squad as a marketing tool for his political needs. Luckily/too bad he might have decided to never be elected as prime minister anymore.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Zero Inter players in the national team.

Zero.

Argentina on the other hand...
Monti, speaking about what happened yesterday with the betting scandal: "we should stop football for 2-3 years". Yeah, sure, football is Italy's no. 1 problem. Let's stop Serie A, B, C, D, who cares about those thousands of workers that earn &#8364;1000 per month, their bank account is just like Ibra's one.

By his logic, he should ban politics for life then.

Kyoufu

Umm... how is playing for Manure for the fame any different than the money? Either way he gets paid.

You guys really ride the Kagawa bandwagon like no other...

PaulLFC

Si Clancy says "Liverpool's next manager will speak Spanish."

So that would seem to lean towards Martinez. Does Rodgers know Spanish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom