• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Supposedly United and City may be interested in Ricky von Wolfswinkel. Hadn't heard any rumors about that before but it seems like any Striker who may be on the market is immediately mentioned as a possibility.

He was fucking great in FM 11 and 12 at Sporting and obviously had a nice season. I don't see him as a worthwhile target personally though. Not yet at least.

Kyoufu

Supposedly United and City may be interested in Ricky von Wolfswinkel. Hadn't heard any rumors about that before but it seems like any Striker who may be on the market is immediately mentioned as a possibility..

Can you imagine Martin Tyler yelling WOOOOOLFSWINKEEEEEL! as he scores a goal?

Fry

kcglQ.png

K1LLER7

Wages + price tag + age + Rooney = no. Rooney is our main striker, we dont need another.
Rooney is our main player but wasn't it confirmed SAF bid for Lowendowski? (sp?) He must be looking at a striker and RVP would be a good buy but probably too expensive. He was rumoured with Juve too.

Wilbur

Banned
Rooney is our main player but wasn't it confirmed SAF bid for Lowendowski? (sp?) He must be looking at a striker and RVP would be a good buy but probably too expensive. He was rumoured with Juve too.

Yeah I'm confused about the Lewandowski rumours but he's much younger and would be on lesser wages.

I think we'll be getting a striker but a more obscure cheaper one; Welbeck and Hernandez are fantastic cover.

jtb

Banned
Thanks. I don't think many clubs will spend big on him considering his age and the considerable wages he would get. Glad his Wife and Mum came out and said he should stay though, Hopefully he'll listen.

The problem is, if we keep him, after a summer of uncertainty... it's basically like a Brand New Signing! and then no other parts of the team get strengthened.

faridmon

Wolfswinkle is great but I hope to god he stays at Sporting. they are getting better and for another year they might be another Dortmund in the sense that they are building a great team for the future
world domination

K1LLER7

Yeah I'm confused about the Lewandowski rumours but he's much younger and would be on lesser wages.

I think we'll be getting a striker but a more obscure cheaper one; Welbeck and Hernandez are fantastic cover.
Yeah, theres Macheda too, Fergie seems to like him but he'll prolly go on loan again.

Salvadora

The problem is, if we keep him, after a summer of uncertainty... it's basically like a Brand New Signing! and then no other parts of the team get strengthened.

Going to be enough of those 'signings' come the start of the season. The worst fucking thing is that they all get injured in a relatively short period of time again so we're back at square one.

Also, can I just express my absolute fucking delight that Bonucci made the Euro squad and not that long-legged clumsy fucker Ranocchia? I always thought that we got the better of the two Bari defenders and I'm glad this confirms it.

I think this Italy squad might surprise. Scott Fleming on Football-Italia is citing cries to switch to a 3-5-2 given this is basically ItalJuve and that Giovinco, Maggio and co. are used to a 3-5-2 system. I'm convinced. A Juve trio in the CB positions in front of Gigi, Maggio out right, Abate out left, Marchisio, Pirlo, De Rossi (I prefer Nocerino or Motta but let's get real here) in the middle, Cassano and Balotelli up front? God damn that could be nice.

I think my only criticism of Prandelli's list is the inclusion of Borini and Diamanti. I dislike Montolivo but really we need a vice-Pirlo in the setup and Verratti isn't ready plainly. For Borini I would have put Matri or Quagliarella (and this isn't ItalJuve bias). Matri links up amazingly with Giovinco, and Quagliarella offers a level of unpredictability that we might need. It's not like Borini is actually going to play, or is very good I might add, so why call him up at all? As for Diamanti, I think Aquilani is a more dependable choice.

Not sure why we bid for Lewandowski, not even sure it's necessarily true, agent could just be scaring BVB into offering him a better contract...but assuming we did, and it seems we bid for Hazard...I'd like to see the club use those funds elsewhere now, LIKE IN MIDFIELD.

I bet you we won't though. Part of me is beginning to think we just feign interest in these big signings...one day we're gonna have to actually carry through. I'd love to see Uncle Malcy's face then.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
fadetoblack said:
I think this Italy squad might surprise. Scott Fleming on Football-Italia is citing cries to switch to a 3-5-2 given this is basically ItalJuve and that Giovinco, Maggio and co. are used to a 3-5-2 system. I'm convinced. A Juve trio in the CB positions in front of Gigi, Maggio out right, Abate out left, Marchisio, Pirlo, De Rossi (I prefer Nocerino or Motta but let's get real here) in the middle, Cassano and Balotelli up front? God damn that could be nice.

The lineup is rock solid, except for Mario. :p All eyes on him (again).

Il Corriere is running a story where he accuses Conte's involvement was limited to agreeing to a draw. It any case it seems tenuous and I'm not worried, but it does seem like a small back peddling, but not complete reversal that your friend is pointing to.

Recent quote " Coppola [Siena GK] entered the locker room and said a man close to the President asked for the team to lose. Coppola told me the name of the man, but in this moment I can't remember it. The proposal was made by Siena President Mezzaroma to the coaching staff, who rejected it "

Now he's blaming the President. :/ And conveniently forgets the name of the man.

Meier

goal.com says Bayern is after Javi Martinez. hmm...

[Man Utd-GAF imploding]

The Javi Martinez thing is kind of interesting in that City are potentially going to sell Dzeko to Bayern while fighting head to head over Martinez. I doubt it'll have any affect either way but you never know.

The German correspondent for Goal.com reckons Bayern have big plans for the summer, think elsk mentioned it earlier.

Rafal Wolski who Dortmund are trying to sign looks like a good player too. Poland have some nice talents setting up base at BVB.

bjaelke

Clubs most heavily represented at Euro 2012

13 - Bayern München (GER 8, CRO 2, FRA 1, NED 1, UKR 1)

11 - Real Madrid (ESP 5, POR 3, GER 2, FRA 1)

10 - Dynamo Kyiv (UKR 9, CRO 1)

9 - Chelsea (ENG 4, ESP 2, CZE 1, FRA 1, POR 1)

8 - Borussia Dortmund (GER 4, POL 3, CRO 1)

8 - FC Barcelona (ESP 7, NED 1)

8 - Manchester City (ENG 3, FRA 2, ESP 1, ITA 1, NED 1)

8 - Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR 5, CRO 2, CZE 1)

8 - Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS 7, POR 1)

7 - Arsenal (ENG 2, CZE 1, FRA 1, GER 1, NED 1, POL 1)

7 - CSKA Moskva (RUS 5, CZE 1, SWE 1)

7 - Juventus (ITA 7)

7 - Liverpool (ENG 4, DEN 1, ESP 1, NED 1)

7 - Manchester United (ENG 4, DEN 1, FRA 1, POR 1)

GQman2121

Banned
What's the value on Dzeko right now? City paid Milner type money for him last summer, no? They can't possibly expect to make that back with a sale to Bayern. Seems like a good move for him and Bayern though.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

7 - Juventus (ITA 7)

Spine!

spidye

7 - Juventus (ITA 7)

Spine!

in other words: good luck next season lol

Arnie

Is that guy for real? He does an awful lot of trolling.

edit: he also has a blog dedicated to trolling

The trolling is part of his act, but his sources are 100% genuine. He's basically playing this joke character, yet his information is totally accurate. He's beaten plenty of journalists to the punch in the last couple of months on all things LFC. Times journalists are quick to promote him too, so they must know his source is legitimate.

Bought a proper naughty pair of shorts today Football GAF.

What's the value on Dzeko right now? City paid Milner type money for him last summer, no? They can't possibly expect to make that back with a sale to Bayern. Seems like a good move for him and Bayern though.

Bought him in January 2011, same time Torres/Carroll/Suarez moved.

Was it £25m? Something similar, in this market probably about the same maybe £20m depends how quickly City want rid I guess.

bjaelke

Where did they play their club football in 2011/2012? - Euro 2012 players

79 - England (71 in Premier League, 8 in Championship)

48 - Germany (46 in Bundesliga, 2 in 2. Bundesliga)

33 - Spain (33 in La Liga)

31 - Italy (30 in Serie A, 1 in Serie B)

29 - Russia (29 in Russian Premier League)

27 - Ukraine (27 in Ukrainian Premier League)

25 - France (23 in Ligue 1, 2 in Ligue 2)

17 - Greece (17 in Ethniki Katigoria)

16 - Netherlands (16 in Eredivisie)

12 - Portugal (12 in Liga Sagres)

Oxx

You kinda assume that Gylfi went to Swansea ahead of more storied teams because he bought into Rodgers and his project.

Maybe there's a contract clause if Rodgers leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom