• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
12 million is a fucking bargain, if true. Plus, his fee + wages will pay itself many times over with the additional commercial revenue... great transfer for all parties.

Salazar

a transfer that may excite their Asian fanbase more than a domestic support network increasingly concerned about the impact the club's debt and interest payments are having on their ability to attract players.

They really are some clueless fucks.

Right boneheaded twat wrote that: stupid, taking the piss, or both. Show me the United fan worth taking seriously who thinks Kagawa is anything less than a fucking excellent addition to the side - fuck all the marketing shite.

Kagawa for 12 million? Fuck's sake, I'd rather have him than all 4 of Carroll, Downing, Henderson and Adam. Although I think Henderson will be fine in a couple of years, and Carroll is alright for now. What a joke of a partnership Kenny and Commoli were, spending money like Man City on midtable players. And its no surprise that with dealings like that, we ended up with a midtable finish and the two of them unceremniously thrown out of the door.

Shows that being in the Champions League doesn't ALWAYS mean you pay more for players. Because you know, they might actually want to play for you as well!

Right boneheaded twat wrote that: stupid, taking the piss, or both. Show me the United fan worth taking seriously who thinks Kagawa is anything less than a fucking excellent addition to the side - fuck all the marketing shite.
Heh, the Guardian have run with something similar, saying it's an "austerity signing". No doubt we are feeling the pinch big time, but signing Shinji won't be indicative of that. The guy scored 17 goals and made 13 assists in 40 games last season. That is a hell of a record, only two players scored + assisted more than 15/15 and they're Leo and...Hazard (who scored 8 of his 20 from the penalty spot). Kagawa really is a gem of a player and we're dead lucky to have caught him when his contract was running down. The commercial side of things will be a bonus.

van Gaal already signed as sporting director? Or is just rumors?
Just rumour but heavily linked.

BTW, the Dzeko story has been rubbished by a couple of English journo's tonight. Not that it means anything, our journalists don't seem to know shit anymore, but yeah, thought it'd interest you.

Ashes

Banned

It's more to combine the article with Kantar reporting stats re: Manchester United fanbase. Lazy Journalism.

elsk

Banned
BTW, the Dzeko story has been rubbished by a couple of English journo's tonight. Not that it means anything, our journalists don't seem to know shit anymore, but yeah, thought it'd interest you.

I think the interest is real, but he's far from being the only option for striker position.

Manchester United commercial director Richard Arnold insists the club are not looking to sign Japan playmaker Shinji Kagawa simply to sell shirts.

Kagawa is reportedly close to moving from Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund to Old Trafford on a €15 million transfer, which could rise to €22 million with add-ons. Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke fuelled speculation further on Tuesday evening, telling Derwesten: "Both sides want to conclude the deal."

Meanwhile, United's South Korean midfielder Park Ji-Sung may exit the club this summer, sparking talk the club are looking to the sign Kagawa to boost brand recognition throughout Asia. Arnold, though, believes United's individual players do not drive the club's off-field profitability.

"We don't sign players to sell shirts." Arnold said. "We are reliant on 25 players and they are all massive stars. We have 25 George Clooneys.

"When you look at the success we've seen in that part of the world [Asia], it isn't down to any one player or person. Of course, Ji is a fantastic player, was captain of the South Korea team and continues to be a key part of our squad.

"But for Manchester United, it's more than any one player. It was more than George Best, it was more than Bryan Robson, it was more than David Beckham, it was more than Cantona, than Park.

"Ji is very popular in Korea, just as Javier Hernandez is hugely popular in Mexico, but Paul Scholes has his own Chinese character. These are huge stars and the big stars are the big stars in every country. Our games are shown 1.1 billion homes across the globe and you think 'which film does that 60 times a year?'

"Be it George Clooney or Brad Pitt, what is there where that is shown? There just isn't anything like it."
Who. The. F**k. Is. Richard. Arnold.

Sack. Him.

Naw.

rooneyejoz.gif

Clegg

Nani rumours are saying that United will look to sell in contract negotiations break down.

There has been no indication that this has happened yet.

Nani rumours are just based on the club taking a precaution and seeing who would be interested in buying him if contract talks broke down. But they really shouldn't. We have no reason to want rid of him and he has gone on record a few times saying he loves it at United and wants to sign a new deal. Looking into the possibility of selling should we have to is just a common sense approach, doesn't meant the club want to sell him.

S'all cool. Nani is staying and will be better than ever next season.

K1LLER7

Don't think either will leave but Park is the more likely considering age and position. I'd still keep him and use him when needed in the PL and cup games.

Theres been rumours of James Rodriguez of Porto to United, which will probably increase if Nani's sold.

Sloosha

We are going to get absolutely battered by Spain tomorrow. A near 100% Spain versus a depleted South Korean team - It's not going to be pretty. At least I might get to see Torres score.

GorillaJu

Read Gaf, not Caf. You keep posting stuff here that we've already discussed!

Edit: just realized you were trying to quote dc89. Sorry!!

Kagawa almost done. :) Nani will renew. Doubt the Baines rumours, he's outside our usual age bracket. More likely we sign Clyne, as well as this Powell kid. Just need that CM and it's a good summer.

Soi-Fong

Kagawa almost done. :) Nani will renew. Doubt the Baines rumours, he's outside our usual age bracket. More likely we sign Clyne, as well as this Powell kid. Just need that CM and it's a good summer.

That CM will hopefully be Modric, though more than likely no. We should hijack M'Vila from Arsenal!

I think I've been talking about M'Vila for years. That would be the ultimate summer. Modric just seems... unlikely, for a variety of reasons (age, fee, etc.).

There were also some reports that we put in a bid for Asamoah that got rejected - I've no idea how real they were - but perhaps it was simply an opening bid to test the waters, and as with our negotiation with BVB over Kagawa, it'll eventually get over the line. He'd be a good option, too; not in the technical class of M'Vila, but a nice versatile midfielder, as anyone who watches the Italian league could tell you.

But, who knows? Fergie might believe that Anderson, Fletcher and Cleverley will return and have an injury free season. :(

We need an evra replacement

When you think back to the way Fergie moved on Stam, maybe the Baines link is real, but I doubt it. Whenever Fergie talks about the need for experience in the squad, Evra is one of the first people he name-checks. I'd say it's more likely we bring in some young competition, even if the Clyne rumours have cooled down, or use Evans as a stopgap if he suffers his first injury in forever. And hopefully, Fabio impresses on loan - he certainly did well in a CL final.

Soi-Fong

I think I've been talking about M'Vila for years. That would be the ultimate summer. Modric just seems... unlikely, for a variety of reasons (age, fee, etc.).

There were also some reports that we put in a bid for Asamoah that got rejected - I've no idea how real they were - but perhaps it was simply an opening bid to test the waters, and as with our negotiation with BVB over Kagawa, it'll eventually get over the line. He'd be a good option, too; not in the technical class of M'Vila, but a nice versatile midfielder, as anyone who watches the Italian league could tell you.

But, who knows? Fergie might believe that Anderson, Fletcher and Cleverley will return and have an injury free season. :(

When you think back to the way Fergie moved on Stam, maybe the Baines link is real, but I doubt it. Whenever Fergie talks about the need for experience in the squad, Evra is one of the first people he name-checks. I'd say it's more likely we bring in some young competition, even if the Clyne rumours have cooled down, or use Evans as a stopgap if he suffers his first injury in forever. And hopefully, Fabio impresses on loan - he certainly did well in a CL final.

Lol well, the Euros will only increase M'Vila's price then MU wil be out of the running.

bjaelke

A Swedish 6th division game ended 10-0 in regular time but due to both teams fielding unregistered players the score was changed by the FA to -3 - -3.

I really wish Fergie would just buy a solid DM, not even a spectacular one but just a big strong presence who can hustle and bustle, just for the bigger games or times when we need to pack the midfield. But he won't. He went on record just before the end of the season saying he's never signed DM's and doesn't see any reason for that to change. It's admirable that he wants "complete" box-to-box midfielders but it just exposes our defense too much and then when we play 4-3-3 we just lose too much of an attacking threat.

I guess that's where Kagawa will be crucial for us, because he has that ability to link the play. Even so, I can't see us buying a top notch deep lying play-maker right now so I wish we could bring a solid DM in. Someone like M'Vila is perfect because he actually has wonderful quality on the ball...but it won't happen. Still, should Carrick continue his brilliant form we should be okay-ish in CM. Some of the better midfields will give us trouble again but we should be much better in the 4-3-3.

Soi-Fong

I really wish Fergie would just buy a solid DM, not even a spectacular one but just a big strong presence who can hustle and bustle, just for the bigger games or times when we need to pack the midfield. But he won't. He went on record just before the end of the season saying he's never signed DM's and doesn't see any reason for that to change. It's admirable that he wants "complete" box-to-box midfielders but it just exposes our defense too much and then when we play 4-3-3 we just lose too much of an attacking threat.

I guess that's where Kagawa will be crucial for us, because he has that ability to link the play. Even so, I can't see us buying a top notch deep lying play-maker right now so I wish we could bring a solid DM in. Someone like M'Vila is perfect because he actually has wonderful quality on the ball...but it won't happen. Still, should Carrick continue his brilliant form we should be okay-ish in CM. Some of the better midfields will give us trouble again but we should be much better in the 4-3-3.

Believe that Fergie will be willing to change!!!

jtb

Banned
When I first read that rumour I laughed and when I think about it i still laugh. Never ever happen...

I wouldn't mind De Jong as cover for Song, but he really only functions in a midfield with two DMs. We haven't really had a midfielder whose job was basically only tackling since Flamini, but even he was decent on his own and could play the ball (the lack of a replacement for Flamini has basically crippled us for the past four years, and we have been paying the price again and again and again)... but if De Jong is the best we can get, fuck it. His wages are probably ridiculous, he's a shit tackler, and Wenger probably despises him anyways for the Alonso/Ben Arfa shit (and that he'll be eating into Frimpong's minutes D: ). New striker/center half/back-up right back plz.

Also slowly warming to the idea of not landing M'Vila. Wonder which bottom-of-the-barrel players Wenger will opt for instead when M'Vila and Van Persie inevitably both sign for City...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom