• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf? Not sure if cool/crazy. Probably both I guess!

Wasn't there that rumour that Arsenal were bidding 9m + Chamakh for Giroud? So basically 5m.

No idea what it'll take to get him but he's meant to be quite good so could be a nice deal for Arsenal. If they keep hold of RVP, and get Giroud, with Podolski already done, Arsenal would finally have a strong set of forwards.

Of course all of that won't happen so what does it matter.

Soi-Fong

jtb

Banned
a Giroud deal would be pretty fantastic, but it's never going to happen. plus, even if it did... it all depends how he's used. if Wenger insists on one striker up front, then you're going to run into one of the two (perhaps two out of three if RVP stays...) strikers perpetually out of form. once upon a time, Chamakh led Bordeaux to the ligue 1 title too - that transfer didn't work out too well in the end for us.

gone are the days when you could stick a decent, if not world class, striker up front and know they would score 20 goals a season since our midfield simply isn't anywhere near as productive as it was during the heyday of this current crop of players. even with this current squad, wenger's 4-5-1 is a dismal failure - it's far too narrow for a side with two "wingers", won't accommodate a non-world class striker (so if RVP gets injured, we are fucked), and plays half the squad out of position. what's the point in worrying about signings when they're all bound to be misused...

Such a beautiful video. Someone should show that Chelsea that getting 9 men behind the ball is not the only way to beat teams with crazy amounts of possession.

You could even see on that how United's midfield is being overrun by Bilbao's pressure system.

Chelsea/Barca was less a problem of Barca having the majority of possession, but more Barca having a starting XI that is quite possibly one of the best of all time (as cliche as that sounds). even the next best squad in the world, Real Madrid, which tried parking the bus, which tried a midfield destroyer, which tried playing ridiculously high up the pitch, etc. only managed to win after nine attempts. Nine. You only get one shot in a CL semifinal, and playing football with barcelona with ten men is suicide.

Regardless, Inter/Barcelona was one of the best two legged CL ties in some time, if only for the sheer intensity, tension, and drama that accompanied it, so I don't understand the complaining about parking the bus. Especially when you're down to ten men.

Soi-Fong

a Giroud deal would be pretty fantastic, but it's never going to happen. plus, even if it did... it all depends how he's used. if Wenger insists on one striker up front, then you're going to run into one of the two (perhaps two out of three if RVP stays...) strikers perpetually out of form. once upon a time, Chamakh led Bourdeaux to the ligue 1 title too - that transfer didn't work out too well in the end for us.

gone are the days when you could stick a decent, if not world class, striker up front and know they would score 20 goals a season since our midfield simply isn't anywhere near as productive as it was during the heyday of this current crop of players. even with this current squad, wenger's 4-5-1 is a dismal failure - it's far too narrow for a side with two "wingers", won't accommodate a non-world class striker (so if RVP gets injured, we are fucked), and plays half the squad out of position. what's the point in worrying about signings when they're all bound to be misused...

Chelsea/Barca was less a problem of Barca having the majority of possession, but more Barca having a starting XI that is quite possibly one of the best of all time (as cliche as that sounds). even the next best squad in the world, Real Madrid, which tried parking the bus, which tried a midfield destroyer, which tried playing ridiculously high up the pitch, etc. only managed to win after nine attempts. Nine. You only get one shot in a CL semifinal, and playing football with barcelona with ten men is suicide.

Regardless, Inter/Barcelona was one of the best two legged CL ties in some time, if only for the sheer intensity, tension, and drama that accompanied it, so I don't understand the complaining about parking the bus. Especially when you're down to ten men.

I think the biggest thing about Bielsa's system is that it requires ALL players to be able to tackle and put in a decent amount of defensive work and second have enough stamina to be able to contain your marker, but also have the pace (and stamina) to go back to your position immediately.

Add to that also, your forwards will have to work twice as hard to keep the opposition in their own half.

But you're right with ten men, playing like this against Barca would be suicide.

Sloosha

It also seems easily forgotten that during the first half of the season, under Villas Boas, we tried to employ a high line, heavy pressure sort of game - and We all know how that worked out. There was no way that we would adopt the same strategy in the latter stages of the Champions League, especially against a team of Barca's quality.

Ashes

Banned
They could do without a few of the side stories in GoT.

---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P5d-CcKnsZQ

Video displaying Bilbao's use of high pressure defending.

Thanks for this. Really appreciate it.

It also seems easily forgotten that during the first half of the season, under Villas Boas, we tried to employ a high line, heavy pressure sort of game - and We all know how that worked out. There was no way that we would adopt the same strategy in the latter stages of the Champions League, especially against a team of Barca's quality.

It's not really the same. No team has worked harder, run further, done more of the ball work, than when Bilbao did at Old Trafford for a decade at least.

Yeah I don't think anybody really presses as much as Bilbao and Barca. It's a different level of pressure on the ball.

Amazing to see it in work there. Esp against, Barca, since Pep was inspired by Bielsa himself.

Must take so much out of the players.

Salazar

It's not really the same. No team has worked harder, run further, done more of the ball work, than when Bilbao did at Old Trafford for a decade at least.

Oui.

Raf was intellectually as well as physically knackered when he didn't chase back and got left flat-footed by Muniain. Pressure like that fucks with your brain.

Soi-Fong

Yeah I don't think anybody really presses as much as Bilbao and Barca. It's a different level of pressure on the ball.

Amazing to see it in work there. Esp against, Barca, since Pep was inspired by Bielsa himself.

Must take so much out of the players.

Lol yup. Imagine a team of Park Ji Sungs with superior tackling ability. Any team would go crazy with that much pressure. Haha

Sloosha

^Squid.

Thanks for this. Really appreciate it.

That's true, but not the point I was trying to make. I was responding more to Soi-Fong specifically mentioning Chelsea. Our tactics were borne out of pragmatism and necessity as opposed to a footballing philosophy we wish to carry on with in the future.

Soi-Fong

Thing is, once they get it they're pretty good too :lol

As much as I'd like to see a system like that implemented by Ferguson there's way too many aging players in our squad for it to work.

That's true, but not the point I was trying to make. I was responding more to Soi-Fong specifically mentioning Chelsea. Our tactics were borne out of pragmatism and necessity as opposed to a footballing philosophy we wish to adopt in the future.

If you thought I was insulting Chelsea I wasn't, just stating pretty much that parking the bus isn't the only way to contain teams such as Barca.

Believe me, I have respect even for Chelsea's perseverance to try to contain a Barca side on full assault.

Sloosha

As much as I'd like to see a system like that implemented by Ferguson there's way too many aging players in our squad for it to work.

If you thought I was insulting Chelsea I wasn't, just stating pretty much that parking the bus isn't the only way to contain teams such as Barca.

Believe me, I have respect even for Chelsea's perseverance to try to contain a Barca side on full assault.

Nah, just responding that it's probably a style that we would like to adopt in the future, but at that particular time it would have been impractical.

I have no problem with people insulting Chelsea anyway (Deserved in a lot of ways) ;)

EDIT: Call it Pikachu Salazar.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Van Der Vaart to Schalke? If it happens I'm going to kill myself.

Carbonox

:lol at the Spurs fans I know calling for Redknapp's sacking. They even think it could happen this weekend. And they get a hump when I tell them I despise the majority of their fanbase more than any other club.

Ushojax

:lol at the Spurs fans I know calling for Redknapp's sacking. They even think it could happen this weekend. And they get a hump when I tell them I despise the majority of their fanbase more than any other club.

:(

There's no point sacking Harry unless someone truly amazing was in the frame. He has his flaws but overall his record is excellent and players want to play for him. Considering our financial limitations, two top 4 finishes in 3 years is a fantastic achievement. Any other season we would be in the CL now, and there was so much shit going on with him season (court case, heart operation, England talk) that I'll let him off for that dodgy spell during Spring.

If Robben wasn't a useless gimp then none of this talk would be going on.

Ushojax

VDV on Schalke move:

‘I don’t want to say anything at the moment, as all my focus is on the European Championships.’

HU5Nc.gif

Please don't go....

pappe

If VDV goes is it the beginning of the end for Spurs??

Also , Utd-gaf.

What are the chances SAF will put Kagawa in the CM Role next to Carrick and Rooney as #10? I think thats whats gonna happen.

Ushojax

If VDV goes is it the beginning of the end for Spurs??

Unlikely. We seem to be intent on big signings this summer, we could probably sign Dembele with the VDV money and play exactly the same way. I just hate the thought of selling one of our most consistent and likeable players.

GorillaJu

As much as it would suck for Spurs, I don't see Vdv as the type who will ever stay at any one club for very long. He's obviously got an ego, and reportedly didn't like being played on the right or starting on the bench.

Seems like it doesn't take much to sour a relationship with him.

pappe

I just hate the thought of selling one of our most consistent and likeable players.

Yea, i hate it too. VDV has been brilliant during his time at Spurs and i have liked him dunno why he would want to leave Spurs tho. Is it coz Harry is preferring to play Bale behind the striker instead of him recently?

Ushojax

Yea, i hate it too. VDV has been brilliant during his time at Spurs and i have liked him dunno why he would want to leave Spurs tho. Is it coz Harry is preferring to play Bale behind the striker instead of him recently?

We never play Bale behind the striker, he just drifts into the middle sometimes. VDV has played the vast majority of the season in his usual position or in a free role as part of a front 3. If he does move it probably has more to do with CL football + being closer to his wife who works in Germany.

Also , Utd-gaf.

What are the chances SAF will put Kagawa in the CM Role next to Carrick and Rooney as #10? I think thats whats gonna happen.

The truth is, Rooney's first touch and ball control in tight spaces lets him down when he's playing in that AM role. He still scores plenty of goals and he's got a great range of passing and vision, but his best season, don't forget, was when he was leading the line up front (2009/2010). Plus, Kagawa said in an interview that Fergie spoke to him of his admiration for the way he plays off the striker, so we'll likely have him in his natural position most of the time, especially since a return to the 4-3-3 is overdue for big games. But some games, Fergie could rotate Kagawa there, maybe.

And they're different players no doubt, but Kagawa also reminds me, in some ways, of an early Scholes, when he used to play in behind the striker: I could see him playing a deeper role in the twilight of his career, too. He's got the intelligence to adapt.

Salazar

Nein.

That's where Clev goes. And Waz and Welbz should ideally be shifting laterally, spreading teams across and around their box. Kagawa #10.

Nein.

That's where Clev goes. And Waz and Welbz should ideally be shifting laterally, spreading teams across and around their box. Kagawa #10.

-------Carrick--------Clevgod
---------------Kagawa
Nani/Tony V----------Welbeck/YoungNani
---------------Rooney

I can dig it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom