• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondered if that was just me.

FIFA feels like a soul-less shell of a game to me and PES is PES.

FIFA looks nice and is pretty authentic but who gives a shit? Online does my head in and the single player modes are as dull as dishwater. Once I get over the novelty of playing as Wednesday after 2 weeks it's always back to FM for me. Every year. And yet I still buy it.

PES 6 is the greatest non-management football game ever made.

Same here sort of. Preferred Winning Eleven Livewire 7 or 8 or something.

Always felt like it made a difference when I signed certain players in Master League. In Fifa I'm just looking for someone who can run fast.

Ched Evans has had his contract terminated.

I'm surprised Sheffield United had to wait that long to do it.

Heard Swindon signed that ex Plymouth goalie Luke McCormick who was jailed for drunk driving and killing someone.

And shit Ched Evans will probably be out in 2 years. Can't wait to see who signs him..

Wilbur

Banned
Heard Swindon signed that ex Plymouth goalie Luke McCormick who was jailed for drunk driving and killing someone.

And shit Ched Evans will probably be out in 2 years. Can't wait to see who signs him..

Hopefully no one. While McCormick deserved his imprisonment, at least it was an accident. Can't see many people wanting to sign a rapist.

rodvik

Whoa. Rumour is Lambert just quit after Norwich refused his request to talk to us.

Welcome Paul. You were always my first choice always my first choice!

after OGS and Rodgers

Stubo

So I've not been around much today, no idea if already posted but FM 2012 is £4.99 (steam activation) again for the 2 of you on the forum who haven't bought it yet
(If there are even that many who still want it...)

Another England injury makes me cringe, I know nothing's been confirmed but the squad isn't the most competitive already without these events.

TeegsD

Our jersey for next season:

mwkJr.jpg

Actually digging it, definitely picking it up once soccer triads has it. just wish that the TMN logo wasn't so damn obtrusive

Also just saw that Barcelona is looking to grab around 4 or 5 of our youth products. Best youth system confirmed!

Arnie

So I've not been around much today, no idea if already posted but FM 2012 is £4.99 (steam activation) again for the 2 of you on the forum who haven't bought it yet
(If there are even that many who still want it...)

Another England injury makes me cringe, I know nothing's been confirmed but the squad isn't the most competitive already without these events.

It says it doesn't support Mac, although I was sure the game's on Mac. Strange.

My Steam accounts fucked anyway, won't let me log on, hasn't for months. It just comes up with 'cant connect to servers' straight away, barely even tries. Must be an ISP problem, but I can't be fucked diagnosing or fixing it.

GorillaJu

Whoa. Rumour is Lambert just quit after Norwich refused his request to talk to us.

Welcome Paul. You were always my first choice always my first choice!

after OGS and Rodgers

Just read that. Crazy stuff. Have to feel for Norwich in the same way as Swansea: all that momentum carrying them into the PL and the wind's being taken out of their sails.

When we nab Joe Allen and the Gylf, it's going to feel even worse. But such is football. Chelsea, Real as Barça thieved our stars. It's only fair to pass on the thievery to a smaller club.

"It says it doesn't support Mac, although I was sure the game's on Mac. Strange.

My Steam accounts fucked anyway, won't let me log on, hasn't for months. It just comes up with 'cant connect to servers' straight away, barely even tries. Must be an ISP problem, but I can't be fucked diagnosing or fixing it."

It does.

Arnie

My Steam's fucked. Won't log in. Won't even contemplate the idea. Password and username are correct, just won't attempt to connect. Says it can't connect to the server. I'd buy the game at that price too.

TeegsD

My Steam's fucked. Won't log in. Won't even contemplate the idea. Password and username are correct, just won't attempt to connect. Says it can't connect to the server. I'd buy the game at that price too.

delete the clientregistry blob thing in the steam folder?

Torres looks so much more comfortable playing in Spain's system.

I read on the BBC that Rodgers was due to spend the summer watching Spain train, but I take it that won't be happening now.
Think it was meant to be right about now or in the last week or so. Probably already done it.

Chelsea's side suddenly look the strongest in the league to me.
Don't think so.

Hart > Cech

Richards > Bosingwa/Ivanovic (maybe level with Ivanovic..)
Kompany > Terry
Lescott = Cahill
Clichy < Cole

Yaya > Lampard
Barry < Ramires

Nasri < Mata
Silva > Hazard
Aguero > Hulk

Tevez > Torres

For example.

Wilbur

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18248540

Beaten but fuck it

The proportion of income that Premier League clubs spend on wages hit a new high in the 2010-11 season, says a Deloitte report into football finance.

Clubs in England's top football league paid some 70% of their income on salaries for the first time.

Manchester United, who won the league that year, spent 46% of revenue on pay, but Manchester City spent 114%.

The Deloitte report says that control of wages "continues to be football's greatest commercial challenge".

Its 21st Annual Review of Football Finance also says that pay discipline is needed "in order to deliver robust and sustainable businesses".

Total wages across the Premier League rose by £201m (14%), equivalent to more than 80% of the £241m increase in club revenues that season, to give a final salary bill of £1.6bn.

Chelsea once again had the highest wage bill, at £191m.

The overall wages increase was driven by the clubs that finished in the top six positions in 2010-11, as well as Aston Villa. Between them they accounted for £145m of the total increase in pay.

However, clubs in the top league did manage to reduced average net debt by £351m, or 13%, to £2.4bn by the summer of 2011.

This was the lowest level since 2006, and largely due to significant debt reductions by Manchester United and Liverpool.

The Deloitte report also shows the huge growth in revenues since the Premier League was created two decades ago.

Premier League clubs' combined revenue reached a record £2.27bn in 2010-11.

In the same season, the 92 Premier and Football League clubs' combined revenues were £2.9bn, with average Premier League club revenues having risen to £114m.

"There is little doubt that the league is a tremendous success in revenue terms," said Deloitte.

Average attendances were close to 35,000 in the Premier League in 2011-12, with more than 90% of seats sold.

However, the growth in revenues has been accompanied by rising costs, especially players' wages.

"The Premier League's key wages to revenue ration, which had stood at around 60% for most of the 2000s, has risen sharply in recent seasons to exceed 70% for the first time," said the report's author, Dan Jones.

"With broadcasting revenues likely to deliver limited growth in advance of the next Premier League deal commencing in 2013-14, the focus will be on the clubs themselves to grow revenue in areas directly under their control."

As a result of tougher economic conditions in the UK economy, Premier League clubs' match day revenues have now remained broadly constant for five seasons.

Deloitte adds that "the overall environment remains challenging" despite some recent big commercial deals by Manchester City and Liverpool.

Outside of the top flight, Deloitte says that for many years the second tier of English football, the Championship, has struggled financially.

This is due to a combination of clubs adjusting to the impact of relegation from the Premier League, and others attempting to to achieve promotion, often taking financial gambles to try and get to the top flight.

It means that the Championship has delivered six seasons of increasing losses.

The Football League and Championship clubs have agreed to financial fair play rules, which seek to achieve a better balance between revenue and costs.

"We hope introduction of the regulations is the catalyst for a long awaited improvement in financial balance," said Deloitte.

From 2013-14 season Premier League clubs looking to participate in Uefa competitions will need to complete with its financial fair play rules.

Deloitte says a combination of fair play rules and straitened economic times, which are limiting revenue growth, may see a majority of top flight clubs reporting operating losses rather than profits.

And it says that with funding sources becoming more constrained it may "finally bring about a change in behaviour".

Meanwhile, on the wider European picture, of the "big five" leagues - England, Germany, Italy, Spain and France - all but Ligue 1 in France saw growth.

Total collective revenues for the five leagues rose by 2% to 8.6bn euros.

Outside the big five, in Scotland the big two, Celtic and Rangers, accounted for 67% of Scottish Premier League clubs' total revenues.

PREMIER LEAGUE FINANCES 2010-11

Revenues of 2.5bn euros, 769m euros ahead of second highest revenue earning league, the Bundesliga
Total operating profits of 75m euros, second behind the Bundesliga's 171m euros
Total revenues up by 12%
Matchday revenues up by 4%
Broadcasting revenue up by 13% and commercial revenues up by 18%
Majority of increase in commercial revenues down to Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool
Record loss of £82m at Man City
Man Utd generated operating profit greater than £100m for first time
Pre-tax losses of £380m, with only eight clubs recording a pre-tax profit
Source: Deloitte

Hopefully no one. While McCormick deserved his imprisonment, at least it was an accident. Can't see many people wanting to sign a rapist.

I wouldn't be surprised Marlon King didn't exactly struggle with his sexual assault conviction, not to mention breaking the woman's nose. he's been inside twice now and been in court 14 times.

Arnie

No responsibility to be taken by any party for loss of productivity, social life, failure to meet commitments etc. etc. :p
I always buy the FM games but don't get sucked in like other people. I'm only grabbing this because it's so insanely cheap. Should be good for a network game with housemates over the summer.

Audi have left M. United for Chelsea. Chevrolet are now our official car sponsors.

source: various.
Think we've replaced them more than them leaving, Chevrolet deal on better terms. To be announced tmrw in Shanghai, everything points towards another IPO effort later in the year.

This is a cool graphic that I came across, thought I'd share.

:lol at Everton, spent some money the January just gone at last.

Messi

Tomorrow will be an unhappy day for me when my kits don't ship and I dont get them before my holidays. Meaning I wont get them until my July :(

Edit: Also early buzz on Prometheus say that its awesome.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Villa is probably the toughest gig in the PL. A thankless task.

Though it's probably a good move as Lambert continues to be MON 2.0.

Arnie

Jesus, that downloaded fast. When I return from Uni tomorrow I'll be done and dusted, so I'll dig into it and try to preface B ROD by taking Liverpool back to the top again.

Scum

I hate getting in from work at this time. I miss out on all the good shit in here. So, Lambert's scarpered, eh? Well, well...

Getting really excited about the prospect of Kagawa playing at #10 for us next season Came across these videos

Part 1 and Part 2 of some neat passes. Looks great. Want us to get this deal done asap :(

Arnie

If you think you're excited, I'm about to dose off to the thought of total football at Anfield next season. Brand: B-ROD

Arnie

For fuck sake, wanted to melt away into my bed dreaming of that B-Rod blend, and I've just realised that I washed and dried my sheets earlier, so I'm going to have to spend 20 odd minutes making my bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom