• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

"It's necessary to understand if there are the foundations for an agreement that satisfies everyone," the former Roma man told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I'm waiting for Liverpool to decide on the identity of their new coach and reorganise themselves. Then we will have to meet in order to figure out their plans.

"The only thing I can do is make the right decision. For me, it is important to have the opportunity to make a contribution, to play well and regularly."

GorillaJu

First thing they need to do is promote Suso and tie him down on a new contract. His current deal ends next summer. Would fit in perfectly in Rodgers' team, I imagine.

Suso and Sterling will both thrive under his coaching. Come to think of it, may we see the return of Dani Pacheco?

Either way, it's an encouraging thought.

We will need a playmaker, a wide man and a backup for Lucas. Hopefully a striker as well, even though I think Carroll will perform well under Rodgers. He seems well suited to the role Danny Graham played in a 4-3-3.

Yen

Suso and Sterling will both thrive under his coaching. Come to think of it, may we see the return of Dani Pacheco?

Either way, it's an encouraging thought.

We will need a playmaker, a wide man and a backup for Lucas. Hopefully a striker as well, even though I think Carroll will perform well under Rodgers. He seems well suited to the role Danny Graham played in a 4-3-3.

If we:
  • Sign Gylfi
  • Get Aqualani back
  • Sell Adam
  • Buy a new winger
  • Promote Suso and Sterling
  • Sack Carra

I guarantee you we get at least 112 points next year.

Wilbur

Banned
Diame and Cuellar on frees. I'll take that.

Both would be a great signing for anyone below the top 4. Even Arsenal could do with Diame actually.

If we:
Sign Gylfi
Get Aqualani back
Sell Adam
Buy a new winger
Promote Suso and Sterling
Sack Carra

I guarantee you we get at least 112 points next year.

Draw at home to Villa?

French reporter for le'equipe on twitter says hazard to be confirmed in a few hours (retweeted by carlofan some Chelsea twitter account)

Wilbur

Banned
Some news:

Zdenek Zeman is set to be the new AS Roma manager after Pescara president Daniele Sebastiani revealed on Thursday that he was leaving his newly-promoted side.

"Zeman will go Roma, but a piece of his heart will always be in Pescara," Sebastiani told Radio Manà Manà Sport. "His choice (to go to Roma) was inevitable, because returning to the capital was too attractive an offer for him."

Ansa news agency reported that Zeman and Roma had not yet reached agreement over his contract and transfer targets. However, Roma's managing director Claudio Fenucci made confident noises to Roma Channel, the club's official television station.

"Soon we will formalise the agreement with our new coach and from there will begin the building of a team that I hope this year will give great satisfaction to our fans," Fenucci said. "We would like to move our project of a spectacular and fun team forward."

Zeman, who was born in Prague but is a naturalised Italian, managed Roma between 1997 and 1999, and the flamboyant style of football his side played left a deep impression on the IR supporters. Pescara were promoted to Serie A last season with a team that drew plaudits for their attacking style.

The world's largest automaker is jilting America's Super Bowl for the global variety of football.

General Motors Co has signed on as the automotive sponsor of the world's most popular soccer club, Manchester United, in an attempt to cement Chevrolet as a global brand.
Terms of the five-year deal, announced in Shanghai on Thursday, were not disclosed. GM is hoping to piggyback on Manchester United's fan base of an estimated 659 million people to boost its Chevy brand, especially in such growing Asia car markets as China, where the soccer club has 108 million fans.

"If our aspirations are to build global icon status for Chevrolet ... soccer far and away is the world's biggest sport," GM executive director of global marketing strategy Paul Edwards said in an interview. "Manchester United stands head and shoulders above the other teams in terms of scale, brand value and their legacy in the sport."

The announcement comes about two weeks after GM said it would drop ads both on Facebook, due to low consumer impact, and during next year's Super Bowl broadcast, as the projected price tag -- $4 million per 30-second spot -- was too high. .
GM has also consolidated its ad agencies globally in a move expected to save $2 billion over five years.

But Edwards dismissed talk that the Detroit company was simply cutting costs and lacked a coherent marketing strategy.

"They're just normal course-of-business decisions that we make with any traditional media outlets," he said. "We're getting smarter in the way we invest and we're going to assess every decision we make very carefully."

Edwards said other changes in marketing would be announced, but declined to provide details -- except that the focus now was on soccer. "There is a cadence of big global decisions coming forward," he said. Edwards said the Manchester United sponsorship deal shows GM is shifting its investments where they can do the most good for Chevy brand awareness and sales.

Starting Friday, Chevy will be one of almost 30 corporate sponsors for Manchester United, replacing Audi as the English soccer club's auto sponsor. Audi had been the team's auto sponsor since April 2004. Under the deal, the Chevy bowtie will appear on signs, scoreboards and player benches in the soccer club's stadium as well as on backdrops and chairs during interviews, GM said.

Manchester United's larger sponsorship deals with insurance broker Aon, whose name appears on the team jerseys, and with sportswear maker Nike net it between $30 million and $40 million per year, according to sports marketing firm Navigate Research.

Edwards pointed out that Manchester United's TV audiences easily outpace those of the Super Bowl, which annually ranks as the most watched TV program in the U.S. market with more than 100 million viewers. Manchester United's 2011 Champions League final against Barcelona was watched by about 350 million people, and even the average game draws 50 million globally, according to club officials.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbury's nonsense posts, which I personally enjoy, are still more insightful than anything Kyoufu posts.

katy.gif

350m for a CL final is nothing. When they broadcast Real games early, 600 million people in China alone all tune in!! :rolleyes

I literally haven't got a fucking clue where he's got the 659m figure from. Not a clue.

He'll probably go for less than 20m. It's typical small team tactics to talk as if there player is worth more money than they are. Gaston Ramirez is good, but not, say, Alexis Sanchez good. Just like Giovinco isn't worth 40m.

Apparently we're meeting with Estigarribia's agent about potentially taking up the purchase option on his loan. He's meant to be worth 5m. I'm thinking we should just pull the trigger. It's not a lot of money and, in any case, after a couple seasons in Serie A he'll be worth a lot more if we need to sell him on. And he's very young and versatile. He'll never be, you know, Nedved or anything near world class but he's been useful.

We're also in negotiations to extend Pepe's contract beyond 2015. Not sure how much I like that. He's 28-going-on-29 now, he'll be 31/32 in 2015. Pepe's strength is his endurance. How will that be when he's 32? I'm hoping the idea is if we extend him for another year then we can still sell him at 31/32 without worrying about him leaving for free. But I don't want to be Milan, relying on our old players and having to deal with their expensive contracts when they are no longer useful.

GorillaJu

Haha I wasnt even referencing that. I'm talking about how they claim Real Madrid's league games are watched by 600 or something million people when they're early games (evening in Asia). Total bullshit.

659 million fans is bs too though. Maybe if they take their samples by getting random people off the street in Kuala Lumpur and asking them if they like English football. It their answer is "ehh? Manchestaaa?" he's a fan.

bjaelke

Haha I wasnt even referencing that. I'm talking about how they claim Real Madrid's league games are watched by 600 or something million people when they're early games (evening in Asia). Total bullshit.

659 million fans is bs too though. Maybe if they take their samples by getting random people off the street in Kuala Lumpur and asking them if they like English football. It their answer is "ehh? Manchestaaa?" he's a fan.

I imagine the 'sampling' went a bit like the souvenir vendors that always tries to relate to you through football. "My friend, where are you from? Ahh Denmark...MICHAEL LAUDRUP"

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
fadetoblack said:
He'll probably go for less than 20m. It's typical small team tactics to talk as if there player is worth more money than they are. Gaston Ramirez is good, but not, say, Alexis Sanchez good. Just like Giovinco isn't worth 40m.

Apparently we're meeting with Estigarribia's agent about potentially taking up the purchase option on his loan. He's meant to be worth 5m. I'm thinking we should just pull the trigger. It's not a lot of money and, in any case, after a couple seasons in Serie A he'll be worth a lot more if we need to sell him on. And he's very young and versatile. He'll never be, you know, Nedved or anything near world class but he's been useful.

We're also in negotiations to extend Pepe's contract beyond 2015. Not sure how much I like that. He's 28-going-on-29 now, he'll be 31/32 in 2015. Pepe's strength is his endurance. How will that be when he's 32? I'm hoping the idea is if we extend him for another year then we can still sell him at 31/32 without worrying about him leaving for free. But I don't want to be Milan, relying on our old players and having to deal with their expensive contracts when they are no longer useful.

Is it really really necessary to extend their contracts now? I don't get it. It's not like Simone Pepe is going to hand in a transfer request or something :/

5M is too much :( I'm sure we're getting a discount anyway.

Salazar

That was manly as fuck. Scored five goals, one with my chest, twisted my ankle, hyper-extended about three fingers. Best night of football in forever.

That was manly as fuck. Scored five goals, one with my chest, twisted my ankle, hyper-extended about three fingers. Best night of football in forever.

Feels good man, I had a great game yesterday. Just totally commanded the midfield and scored a couple of goals as well!

My body isn't thanking me today though, I can barely move.

Wilbur

Banned
Perhaps I'm late to the party with these, but some new kits...

Supposed Liverpool away, if real, looks pretty good,

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/554720_296881773735122_100002399056919_659087_781329128_n.jpg[IMG]

Supposed City away, looks grim,

[IMG]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/380265_390942377614080_165774456797541_1119141_1083794346_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Swap those impressions for me, don't like the Liverpool one at all but colour of City's one is hot

bjaelke

Liverpool's away is fake. It was posted around the same time as the home kit was revealed but has a different crest.

Also thank you for posting the Everton away. I had almost forgotten what it looked like.

Wilbur

Banned
LUKAKU SPEAKS:

"When (Salomon) Kalou put the cup on my lap in the bus I asked him to take it away immediately. I didn't want to touch it because just as with the Champions League I had no part in it at all,"

"I don't like people talking to me about the Champions League. It wasn't me, but my team that won the trophy."

Lukaku said he had improved in training, was eating far fewer hamburgers and, despite good performances in the matches he had started, had failed to win a regular place in the team.

"Chelsea really wanted me last summer and paid a lot for me but after a while I thought are you just throwing money around?," he said.

Slizz

LUKAKU SPEAKS:

I find it amazing that a pro-footballer has to tell himself to stop eating hamburgers.

I mean I love hamburgers, but if I'm getting paid to do a sport in which eating said hamburgers hampers my play, then I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to cut burgs out. Hire a freaking in-house chef to whip you up some good meals.

LUKAKU SPEAKS:
I know it's not a particularly fair judgement because he's had hardly any game time and when he has, was more often than not played out of position. But I've never really been overly bothered about the lad. I can't honestly say I've ever watched him and been wowed, he's had a few decent run outs, the Liverpool 4-1 effort he looked okay, but I couldn't say he's ever looked great.

Never watched him at Anderlecht and don't really watch Belgium so can't say what he's like on the national stage.

I find it amazing that a pro-footballer has to tell himself to stop eating hamburgers.

I mean I love hamburgers, but if I'm getting paid to do a sport in which eating said hamburgers hampers my play, then I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to cut burgs out. Hire a freaking in-house chef to whip you up some good meals.
As I'm sure is the case with most top clubs, the chef Chelsea have at Cobham is a world class cook who puts on such a spread for them every day.

Carbonox

Spurs fans thinking they're close to signing Demba Ba. How cute.

Anyway, according to Metro, Newcastle are frontrunners to sign Ibrahim Afellay for 6m. :lol

elseanio

Liverpool's away is fake. It was posted around the same time as the home kit was revealed but has a different crest.

Also thank you for posting the Everton away. I had almost forgotten what it looked like.

Last one, I swear.

jelavicnike.jpg

anyway, I like it. I don't know whats up with the gold but its about time that all of the symbols share a similiar colour. And yes, I agree, Neville shouldn't be used as a model. Also, Fellani and Baines is not modelling. Scary signs!

Messi

Last one, I swear.

jelavicnike.jpg

anyway, I like it. I don't know whats up with the gold but its about time that all of the symbols share a similiar colour. And yes, I agree, Neville shouldn't be used as a model. Also, Fellani and Baines is not modelling. Scary signs!

Sounds like the Chelsea chef just does McDonalds runs.
Or "chief" as I originally typed. He's a new character, the Hamburger Chief. He just feeds Lukaku and Frank.

Last one, I swear.

jelavicnike.jpg

Last one, I swear.

jelavicnike.jpg

Is this an alt account I see before me?

elseanio

I get any ones that catch my interest visually, but I hate black plain kits. I hated barcas awak kit this season.

Ahh ok. Quite like the Everton one to be honest. Despite the LFC kit posted before being a fake, I'm pretty sure the colours are gonna be similar. Plain black with red or yellow sponsor/logo/badge

Passed all my exams.

Feels strange coz I thought I'd failed them all.

Well in!

It's not like temptations goes away as soon as you're a pro footballer *inserty Coentrao or Messi smoking or the countless well documented footballers getting completely shit faced all the time*.

At least Hazard will get in now, he eats hamburgers while the matches are playing! That will put some heat off the other Belgian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom