• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

If Affelay is on the market I imagine there are a good few teams who'd take a punt at that kind of price. I know almost nothing about him, but Barça bought him and trained him for a year (or two, is it now?) so he's already got a leg up on other inexpensive young wingers.

Speaking of kits, ours is apparently selling quite well in preorders. A good margin (30%) more than the last home kit, measured at the same point in its release. Deserves it really, I think the strip and the training gear are quality. Can't wait to see our third kit monstrosity. </dc89>

Slizz

It's not like temptations goes away as soon as you're a pro footballer *inserty Coentrao or Messi smoking or the countless well documented footballers getting completely shit faced all the time*.

At least Hazard will get in now, he eats hamburgers while the matches are playing! That will put some heat off the other Belgian.

The getting shitfaced part I understand fully, but with a chef catered meal at the Chelsea facilities to grub on while you are practicing and training and potentially having a private chef, it really shouldn't be an excuse. Human nature blah blah blah lol I know it has to be tempting.

If Affelay is on the market I imagine there are a good few teams who'd take a punt at that kind of price. I know almost nothing about him, but Barça bought him and trained him for a year (or two, is it now?) so he's already got a leg up on other inexpensive young wingers.

Afellay is 26 now though

LUKAKU SPEAKS:

Yeah he's mentionned a few times not celebrating either Chelsea cup wins since he's not really been part of the winning squad. He's a good kid, very professionnal. Doubt he eats burgers, maybe McNuggets at most. Just he's nowhere near good enough (yet?) to play for Chelsea.

According to Le Soir (a pretty serious and reliable Belgian paper) Lukaku will be loaned out to Everton for free for the next two seasons. It's part of Fellaini's transfer to Chelsea. Good for Chelsea, good for Lukaku, not good for Everton?

Some less reliable papers mention Chelsea looking into Dembélé aswell. I'm convinced he'll leave Fulham this summer as will Dempsey. He'll want playtime though, he's not the kind of guy who can sit on the bench.

Vermaelen apparently said "I'll stay forever at Arsenal, I love the club and the city". Will probably leave in a couple years then. :)

GorillaJu

Yeah he's mentionned a few times not celebrating either Chelsea cup wins since he's not really been part of the winning squad. He's a good kid, very professionnal. Doubt he eats burgers, maybe McNuggets at most. Just he's nowhere near good enough (yet?) to play for Chelsea.

According to Le Soir (a pretty serious and reliable Belgian paper) Lukaku will be loaned out to Everton for free for the next two seasons. It's part of Fellaini's transfer to Chelsea. Good for Chelsea, good for Lukaku, not good for Everton?

Some less reliable papers mention Chelsea looking into Dembélé aswell. I'm convinced he'll leave Fulham this summer as will Dempsey. He'll want playtime though, he's not the kind of guy who can sit on the bench.

Vermaelen apparently said "I'll stay forever at Arsenal, I love the club and the city". Will probably leave in a couple years then. :)

Dembélé and Fellaini are both top talents and could easily make it at a top club. I see Dembélé leaving before Dempsey if I'm honest (more versatile, younger, cheaper).

That Lukaku bit is bullshit though. That kid was popping off about "wow I'm only 19 but I just won a CL! My life has changed!" but he is just a kid, which explains a lot of his rotten attitude. How easy it is to forget that he's only just graduated from high school.

And Affelay is 26? I thought he was 23 or 24. Still, if 6m is an accurate price, you could surely do worse. Over the course of 4 years, until he's 30, you'd get a good return on such a meager investment. And Barça doesn't pay their non-stars exorbitant wages, so he wouldn't break the bank to keep on the books.

As expected, compensation for Brendan Rodgers is agreed between #LFC and Swansea.

I understand #LFC will also be taking three key members of Swansea's backroom staff. They are Colin Pascoe, Chris Davies and Glen Driscoll.

Pascoe is Rodgers' right-hand man, and first-team coach. Driscoll is conditioning expert, and Davies is a highly-rated young match analyst.

Interesting. Poor Swansea. We're gutting the good guys.

And in more good news, Lucas is said to be fit for pre-season. My loins are already frothing at the thought.

Korez

Old?

psg-home-kit.jpg

http://www.psg.fr/fr/Actus/003001/Article/58269/Maillot-domicile-2012-2013

Arnie

Finished second year of Uni, just had a Nandos to celebrate.

That Lucas news is great. Glad we've agreed compensation for B-Rod too, was getting irrationally worried that the whole thing might fall through and we'd get McCleish.

Congrats, guys. God I feel like an old man having just finished my degree.

Nice to know that UoL's grad colours are pink too. Can't wait to have that on my mum's wall for foreseeable future..

Wilbur

Banned
I always get the butterfly chicken, red pepper dip starter, two portions of grilled halloumi, chips and a corn on the cob.

Dembélé and Fellaini are both top talents and could easily make it at a top club. I see Dembélé leaving before Dempsey if I'm honest (more versatile, younger, cheaper).

That Lukaku bit is bullshit though. That kid was popping off about "wow I'm only 19 but I just won a CL! My life has changed!" but he is just a kid, which explains a lot of his rotten attitude. How easy it is to forget that he's only just graduated from high school.

Yeah Dembélé is certainly a better investment than Dempsey. He's good but need to keep in mind he's not a good finisher at all, he's a Gervinho-style of striker/winger, he's going to miss loads of chances and have few nice shots from range. The upside is he can play as a deeper/more central midfielder and still contribute to the team.

Would love if Liverpool actually went for him (and Dempsey too), there will be a lack of options on the wings with Maxi and Kuyt probably leaving, Bellamy not getting any younger. Downing needs some competition and the number of times Henderson had to play as a right winger this season was ridiculous. But it might be too late for Liverpool to sign that kind of players, it would have been possible last summer I'm sure but now Dempsey "wants" CL football, Dembélé will be less likely to come to Anfield aswell.

Lukaku actually is a down to earth kid, he was happy yeah but he wouldn't try steal the glory, kinda similar to Kompany. Which is needed since there are quite many egos in the Belgium national team.

Clegg

Chelsea are genuinely starting to frighten me again.

They've sewn up Hazard and are being heavily being linked with Hulk and potentially Fellaini. Thats a lot of great talent who should push Chelsea towards a title charge.

And thanks for the congrats guys.

Never heard of this thing called Nando's

from wikipedia
Nando's is known in South Africa for its humorous but often controversial adverts. One such television advert, from 2000, involved a blind woman being led into a pole intentionally and knocked unconscious by her guide dog, which then proceeded to eat the chicken that the woman had just purchased. This caused an uproar from people who were concerned that the blind would be offended. The South African Advertising Standards Authority called for the withdrawal of the advert. Several blind people were quoted in the media as finding the advert amusing.

But they're blind, they can't watch television.
KuGsj.gif

Soi-Fong

Chelsea are genuinely starting to frighten me again.

They've sewn up Hazard and are being heavily being linked with Hulk and potentially Fellaini. Thats a lot of great talent who should push Chelsea towards a title charge.

And thanks for the congrats guys.

Yup, they'll be a force to deal with next season assuming they get a good manager.

Meier

Gaston Ramirez has been a mainstay on my FM team for the past 2 seasons so I'm all for it. :D

p.s. NANDO'S IS SO GOOD. I miss it.. all the time. Twice in the one week I was there was not enough. Apparently they have Nando's in the UAE as well -- my brother who lives in London has to travel for work all the time and is there in Dubai right now and mentioned it. They also have my favorite American sandwich shop, Potbelly's.

Arnie

"Norwich manager Paul Lambert offers resignation but the club turn it down"

Sounds like the pernicious conclusion to an otherwise magical tale. Quite sad really. Norwich should just accept the situation and move on. Saying that, that's what I said about Modric last year.

Wilbur

Banned
Sad about Rodgers and Lambert to be honest; as good managers as they are, their clubs are being used as stepping stones to other clubs. I've got no doubt Lambert will be a success at Villa, but the way he's gone about it is a bit dickish to be fair.

bjaelke

Sounds like the pernicious conclusion to an otherwise magical tale. Quite sad really. Norwich should just accept the situation and move on. Saying that, that's what I said about Modric last year.

If he resigns Norwich will lose out on the transfer fee(?)

Yup:

"Norwich confirm Paul Lambert has offered resignation - but has not been accepted 'whilst discussions with another club are taking place.'"

Cyport

Hot half chicken, peri chips and garlic bread. Got my card stamped full now too, so I've got a free full chicken waiting for me on my next visit.

Use your card soon as they're replacing it with a new one with different bonuses on 30th June. I think you can transfer stamps over though.

Arnie

Sad about Rodgers and Lambert to be honest; as good managers as they are, their clubs are being used as stepping stones to other clubs. I've got no doubt Lambert will be a success at Villa, but the way he's gone about it is a bit dickish to be fair.

I don't particularly think he's in the wrong to want to move on after the successful three years he's had. If you look at both him and Rodgers, it's clear that they didn't want to hurt their respective clubs. The difference between the two is Swansea recognised the opportunity facing Rodgers but Norwich aren't, which makes me blame them more than anything.

Regardless of league position last year, managing Aston Villa is a substantial step up from managing Norwich. It's time they let him go.

Use your card soon as they're replacing it with a new one with different bonuses on 30th June. I think you can transfer stamps over though.
You know your stuff. She transferred them over whilst I was there. The new card looks slick with it's orange, foldable tab.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't particularly think he's in the wrong to want to move on after the successful three years he's had. If you look at both him and Rodgers, it's clear that they didn't want to hurt their respective clubs. The difference between the two is Swansea recognised the opportunity facing Rodgers but Norwich aren't, which makes me blame them more than anything.

Regardless of league position last year, managing Aston Villa is a substantial step up from managing Norwich. It's time they let him go.

You know your stuff. She transferred them over whilst I was there. The new card looks slick with it's orange, foldable tab.

I can understand him wanting to move on, I just feel sorry for the fans more than anything. The season looks a lot bleaker for them now.

Meier

Sad about Rodgers and Lambert to be honest; as good managers as they are, their clubs are being used as stepping stones to other clubs.

That's how it works with players as well.. can't really blame them. It's common across all sports that coaches who have their clubs "overachieve" get poached by bigger names shortly thereafter.

Arnie

I can understand him wanting to move on, I just feel sorry for the fans more than anything. The season looks a lot bleaker for them now.

True, but it's not the end of the road for them, there are plenty of young, promising coaches who'd love the opportunity to take the step up into the premier league, Poyet being one of them. It's about the Norwich board being bold in their next appointment, instead of hiring Mick McCarthy.

Reading and agreeing with Neville's comments makes me feel so guilty. It's as if I've just masturbated in a friend's bathroom.

i understand the reasoning but it's still strange. Bolt, Alonso (and Aguero) are globally recognized superstars , it's just weird seeing them paired with these "niche" players. Instead of thinking "aw thats a cool ad" i'm thinking "wtf are these guys." But maybe thats just me...
Helps boost those other names and the brand in particular regions. Yuvraj is obv. massive in India, for Indians to see him alongside Bolt for example, will boost Puma's branding over there.

Rickie Fowler will be huge before long too, building his brand nice and early.

PSG kit is so nice. Wth Nike. Also Nike are selling Umbro I heard. PLZ do United shirts again!!!

Is it really really necessary to extend their contracts now? I don't get it. It's not like Simone Pepe is going to hand in a transfer request or something :/

5M is too much :( I'm sure we're getting a discount anyway.

It feels as if we're rewarding everyone for a great season. Which is fine, if we gave them all a small financial bonus. I get extending the contract of someone like Bonucci who is young and we can secure until he's well into his prime. Marchisio I get. Chiellini I get. Vidal I get. All players moving into the best part of their careers. I also get players like Buffon who are old but have high salaries. Don't want to get into negotiation and be forced to increase their salary to keep them happy (Buffon isn't a great example of this, but somebody like Quagliarella or Matri might). But I just don't get extending Pepe's contract.

I think 2.5m or abouts is fair for Estigarribia. He's decent, but he's really rough around the edges.

That's lovely. I did really like the solid red down the centre, though.

One of my fav Juventinis on twitter is continuing to call for Vucinic to be dealt in order to help fund our transfer campaign. I tend to agree but I think this is a sale for next year. Vucinic, as wasteful as he was, was magical at times and I don't think we can replace him so readily. I'd rather just keep him until we know we can manage without him. It's not as if he's in his 30s, anyways. Although I'm increasing to think we're going to need two new strikers: one to give Matri a proper, and something of a more traditional trequartista to feed them balls (Giovinco? Probably).

Yen

Didn't Gylfi just sign a contract with Swansea? How would he move to Liverpool now?

Deal wasn't finalised. No medical and he hasn't signed on the dotted line. A few journalists have said his loyalty lies with Rodgers, not Swansea.
I hope I'm not getting my hopes up for nothing, though.

elsk

Banned
Gladbach very interested in John Guidetti if they won't get Luuk de Jong, according to "Kicker".

Deal wasn't finalised. No medical and he hasn't signed on the dotted line. A few journalists have said his loyalty lies with Rodgers, not Swansea.
I hope I'm not getting my hopes up for nothing, though.

Hmmm... that sounds kind of weird.

GQman2121

Banned
So along with Modric, Fellaini, and Hulk, we're now being attached to Dembele, Ba, and the Ukrainian 'Messi'.

I just want us to unveil Hazard already......

Hmmm... that sounds kind of weird.

Until a player is holding up the clubs kit with a million dollar smile on his face, I think anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom