• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's this about suspending football in Italy 2 years?
Monti, Italy's PM, said a couple of days ago that he has been thinking about suspending every single italian league for 2-3 years because of what happened earlier this week, when a bunch of players got arrested regarding a scandal that has been going on from last year.
Can that even happen?
Nope.

It was just a thought, suspending football would force thousands of football-related workers to be unemployed, plus our government wouldn't receive its annual eight billion euros from italian football.

Finally!!! I missed you #footyGAF!!

Lambert to Villa!!!

I do feel bad that we (Aston Villa and Liverpool) acquired managers from two recently promoted, and exciting teams. I wish it didn't have to be that way

Not "frightened" of Chelsea yet, think their biggest weakness last year was in defence and CM and their yet to address either of those areas. When they start fixing up there I'll be worried.

Good to see they're strengthening though, will improve the league, needed.

bjaelke

ifO5pKCUqLdkP.gif

England training video

Meier

Those PSG kits are sweet. A lot of the Ligue 1 shirts for next season are looking good.

Ligue 1's across the board always seem to be great. I loved Lille's from this season.. was gonna try get a Hazard one if he'd made the right decision.

Gladbach very interested in John Guidetti if they won't get Luuk de Jong, according to "Kicker".

I would be SHOCKED if he was "cheap" like you posted before. He is by far our most talented young player and is under contract for another few years. I think we'll try and move him on loan within the PL to get him some experience in England. I believe I read that Sunderland are interested in a year long loan.

PaulLFC

Finally GAF is working again!

Latest rumours are that we've brought in Colin Pascoe, Chris Davies and Glen Driscoll from Swansea as part of Rodgers' backroom staff. According to Neil Jones, Pascoe is Rodgers’ right-hand man, and first-team coach. Driscoll is conditioning expert, and Davies is a highly-rated young match analyst.

It's also rumoured that we've gone off appointing Van Gaal, so sporting director will either be Txiki or a promotion from within. Txiki, hopefully.

Clegg

United fans, what is your opinion of Anderson?

I think he has the potential to be a very good player but in 4 years at United he has only improved very slightly. He's constantly injured and is very inconsistent. At the start of the season he was playing the best football I'd seen from him in years, but he got injured again.

I don't think he suits the way the United play but at the same time I'd like to see him given one more chance. I think he'd actually suit a 4-3-3 much more than a 4-4-2.

Wilbur

Banned

I think he has the potential to be a very good player but in 4 years at United he has only improved very slightly. He's constantly injured and is very inconsistent. At the start of the season he was playing the best football I'd seen from him in years, but he got injured again.

I don't think he suits the way the United play but at the same time I'd like to see him given one more chance. I think he'd actually suit a 4-3-3 much more than a 4-4-2.

I think the injuries have definitely limited what he can offer, but he's a very naturally talented player. I'd agree with a 4-3-3 being good for him; Carrick at the base and he and Cleverley just ahead of him would work well but I don't think he can be trusted not to get injured again.

Main problem - fitness (and not just injuries)
Second problem - Fergie trying to make him a player he can never be.

Had an amazing first season as a player who has a bit of a license to be free. Will never forget how he dominated Gerrard at Anfield in that first season. Now we've got him playing as some kind of deep lying CM with a wide range of passing. On his day he can great but his passing is way too inconsistent.

His fitness is the main issue though, look at the size of him from when we signed him to now. It's shocking, he clearly carries far too much weight. Don't understand how that can be the case for a professional player.

dc89

"The agent of Bologna's Gaston Ramirez has confirmed #mcfc and Juventus have contacted him with interest in his client. [Sky Sports]"

"Montpellier manager Rene Girard has told #mcfc that Younes Belhanda (22) won't be leaving the French champions this summer. [Canal+]"
@city_watch

There was also big rumours doing the rounds of a City V Barca friendly in August.

"There are no plans for #MCFC to play Barcelona in a friendly at the Etihad in August. Rumours circulating on Twitter are false. Thanks, guys"
@mcfc

Barca running scared ;)

Oh and 13 years ago yesterday this happened:

If that goal wasn't scored, who knows, City might not even be here today and you lot wouldn't have to put up with my PR.

Clegg

Fitness seems to be the main problem with him doesn't it. He has too much weight to be 100% effective on the pitch but his injuries don't help him. He always comes back too heavy from an injury and then has to work to lose the weihjt. Then he gets injured again.

Anderson plays his best when he's running forward with the ball and bursting through the middle. I'd like to see a 3 man midfield with Carrick and Scholes holding back and Anderson being given license to roam forward. Doubt we'll ever see that though.

And yes. SAF has definitely made mistakes with Anderson.

faridmon

Again, sorry guys about yesterday. Neogaf was going funky with me and ended up refreshing multple times which resulted in the frequent pictures. No malice
nor dc93 mentality
is intended.

dc89

Again, sorry guys about yesterday. Neogaf was going funky with me and ended up refreshing multple times which resulted in the frequent pictures. No malice
nor dc93 mentality
is intended.

Who is this DC93?

'93, wasn't that the year the premier league started and 'history' began for the modern plastic fans?

GQman2121

Banned
A few years ago, Did Hamann signed for Bolton and changed his mind an hour afterwards and joined Man City instead.

That was forever ago, but yes, it did happen like that. I don't think he had signed all of the paperwork or something that didn't force him to fully commit though.

Not "frightened" of Chelsea yet, think their biggest weakness last year was in defence and CM and their yet to address either of those areas. When they start fixing up there I'll be worried.

Good to see they're strengthening though, will improve the league, needed.

I would love have loved for us to bring Jeffrey Bruma back just to give us some more depth. He did well in Germany from what I hear. It's kind of a shame he's going to be back on loan at Hamburg for all of next season. He seems happy though and is getting good experience.

Fitness seems to be the main problem with him doesn't it. He has too much weight to be 100% effective on the pitch but his injuries don't help him. He always comes back too heavy from an injury and then has to work to lose the weihjt. Then he gets injured again.

Anderson plays his best when he's running forward with the ball and bursting through the middle. I'd like to see a 3 man midfield with Carrick and Scholes holding back and Anderson being given license to roam forward. Doubt we'll ever see that though.

And yes. SAF has definitely made mistakes with Anderson.
In general he is complacent. He has had really bad luck with injuries through his career, no doubt, a broken leg at Porto, cruciate knee injury with us and many other problems aside. But he doesn't help himself and is constantly gassed at about 60 minutes.

His complacency stretches into his personal life. How about that car crash which could have killed him? When he first arrived he was always out late partying, it's the same now I'd imagine though I haven't heard many stories about it. Fergie said recently he's been trying to change his life-style, he doesn't sleep until the early hours etc. In that documentary Rio did he alluded to the fact that Anderson needs a God damn wake up call from the club sec. Then on the pitch, you can see how lazy he can be with his passing.

Anderson is one of those players who probably doesn't need to do much work with his technique, it's been there for years. But he needs to invest a lot of time in his professionalism, no sign of him doing that until now. I am half surprised he's still here tbh.

Just a few weeks ago he was back in Brazil getting on with his rehab and he was arrested for drunk driving or something. What a mug.

dc89

Lukaku quotes:

"I don't like people talking to me about the Champions League. It wasn't me, but my team that won.
When Kalou put the cup on my lap in the bus I asked him to take it away immediately, I didn't want to touch it because just as with the Champions League I had no part in it at all.
Chelsea really wanted me last summer and paid a lot for me but after a while I thought, are you just throwing money around?"

Half of me feels sorry for the lad, half of me wants to laugh.

spidye

That was forever ago, but yes, it did happen like that. I don't think he had signed all of the paperwork or something that didn't force him to fully commit though.

I would love have loved for us to bring Jeffrey Bruma back just to give us some more depth. He did well in Germany from what I hear. It's kind of a shame he's going to be back on loan at Hamburg for all of next season. He seems happy though and is getting good experience.

where did you hear this? He was pretty awful.
to be fair the whole team was awful last season but he was by far their weakest cb.

Oh, also question for the English lads in here: How are Aston Villa and their fans generally perceived and liked around England? I get the feeling that they are generally disliked, and not thought of very warmly.

Wilbur

Banned
In general he is complacent. He has had really bad luck with injuries through his career, no doubt, a broken leg at Porto, cruciate knee injury with us and many other problems aside. But he doesn't help himself and is constantly gassed at about 60 minutes.

His complacency stretches into his personal life. How about that car crash which could have killed him? When he first arrived he was always out late partying, it's the same now I'd imagine though I haven't heard many stories about it. Fergie said recently he's been trying to change his life-style, he doesn't sleep until the early hours etc. In that documentary Rio did he alluded to the fact that Anderson needs a God damn wake up call from the club sec. Then on the pitch, you can see how lazy he can be with his passing.

Anderson is one of those players who probably doesn't need to do much work with his technique, it's been there for years. But he needs to invest a lot of time in his professionalism, no sign of him doing that until now. I am half surprised he's still here tbh.

I think the reason he's still here is he's so obviously talented; he had a spell in 2008 or so when I thought we had the makings of an absolute world beater. He went toe to toe with Gerrard and Alonso in their prime and bested them and I was fucking ecstatic.

Whatever talent he has is being held back by his attitude.

Oh, also question for the English lads in here: How are Aston Villa and their fans generally perceived and liked around England? I get the feeling that they are generally disliked, and not thought of very warmly.

I think there's a bit of romanticism about them for what they've done in the past but generally the fans seem quite distasteful towards any manager, starting with O'Leary. They never really got behind Houllier either, so I don't know. I've always liked to see them do well personally.

Arnie

Nice little Cole video. Such a shame it didn't work out for him when he arrived.

I think the reason he's still here is he's so obviously talented; he had a spell in 2008 or so when I thought we had the makings of an absolute world beater. He went toe to toe with Gerrard and Alonso in their prime and bested them and I was fucking ecstatic.

It's borderline offensive that you just compared Anderson to Gerrard and Alonso.

He's a few hundred levels below that pair.

faridmon

Who is this DC93?

'93, wasn't that the year the premier league started and 'history' began for the modern plastic fans?

Sorry just messing about.

and Chelsea can fuck off as well. Fellaini signed a 5 year deal last year and is not going anywhere. Guess they want to beat us once in while.

Much better fans that those Birmingham scum, that is for sure.
I may be a bit biased, since most of my friends support the club, but as I see them, they are quite fair and well respected. Their opinion of themselves and the team around them is quite unbiased and they know when some of their players can be a cunt *coughYoungcough*. The only problem, which may not be a problem at all, is that they are a resigned bunch and not show any strong opinion of their team and are quite happy to be a mediocre team which is weird since they do have quite a history and can be seen as a big club. Of course the way they went against McLeaish showed a great commitment, but even the tourist fans of Arsenal could do the same.

He needs to take a leaf out of Nani's book. I doubt he will, will be gone by the end of next sumer IMO.

Hope I'm wrong, cos I used to that love guy, but lost patience now.

It's borderline offensive that you just compared Anderson to Gerrard and Alonso.

Think it's a reference to his performance against them in his first season.

Wilbur

Banned
Nice little Cole video. Such a shame it didn't work out for him when he arrived.

I'm aware of that. However there was a game at Anfield I think, think we won 2-1 and Anderson bossed both of them that day and that was in the middle of a consecutive run of great games.

I think there's a bit of romanticism about them for what they've done in the past but generally the fans seem quite distasteful towards any manager, starting with O'Leary. They never really got behind Houllier either, so I don't know. I've always liked to see them do well personally.

I think the problem with the Houllier era is that we were so blind-sided by MON's departure that we didn't know what to do. I think had he been able to manage beyond that first season we would have seen the fans get behind him.

Wilbur

Banned
I think the problem with the Houllier era is that we were so blind-sided by MON's departure that we didn't know what to do. I think had he been able to manage beyond that first season we would have seen the fans get behind him.

I agree with that as well. Generally though I think they seem to be perceived a little like West Ham; thinking they're bigger than they are in the current era.

Yen

I'm aware of that. However there was a game at Anfield I think, think we won 2-1 and Anderson bossed both of them that day and that was in the middle of a consecutive run of great games.

1-0, December 2007, Tevez scores from poorly cleared corner.

The other problem Anderson has is it takes him a while to get up to speed in terms of his performance level. When he has a run of games he generally begins to play well, but United rotate so much and often that he never really gets that chance. Which is fair enough anyway, because he has enough bad games to warrant him being dropped. But really he does need a good run in the side, which he doesn't get because he's dropped/injured.

GQman2121

Banned
where did you hear this? He was pretty awful.
to be fair the whole team was awful last season but he was by far their weakest cb.

Just from word of mouth on the Chelsea page I follow. There's a few Germans who post there. That's actually where I heard first about our interest in Marin.

I know the team struggled, but was Burma really that poor? I know he wasn't a lock to start every game, but I do recall he scored a few goals. Probably not as many as he let in......

Wilbur

Banned
2007, sorry.

Might have been this game: I don't remember haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6NoqSwi6cI

The other problem Anderson has is it takes him a while to get up to speed in terms of his performance level. When he has a run of games he generally begins to play well, but United rotate so much and often that he never really gets that chance. Which is fair enough anyway, because he has enough bad games to warrant him being dropped. But really he does need a good run in the side, which he doesn't get because he's dropped/injured.

Start of the season he was fantastic; then Supertom got injured :(

GorillaJu

A Swansea City statement earlier this week said the club was delighted to have agreed terms with the player and club following Sigurdsson's hugely successful loan spell last season.

It was believed the 22-year-old would be joining the Swans’ for a fee of £6.8million subject to a medical.

However, on the day that Brendan Rodgers is due to complete his move to Liverpool, the Bundesliga club has reacted angrily to the initial story coming out of south Wales, claiming that contracts have not been signed.

They told Telegraph Sport that Sigurdsson remains a Hoffenheim player and is due back in pre-season training next month.

Communications manager Holger Tromp said: “Since there has not been any contract written or even signed yet with Swansea, we need to still plan with Gylfi. He is a player with a regular contract in Hoffenheim and we expect him to be back in training on June 18th."

Here we go.

faridmon

Would you eat your friends amputated leg? Maybe with some spices?

Yeah, that made me Lol so hard during my travel on the underground. Also, don't forget the part where they mentined never ever give that leg to robot since they will just get used to its taste.

I love Giantbombcast <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom