• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not offended.

It's fun. Incorporates real objects into a video game. Arcades hold tournaments and such, and you can play head to head with random dudes at the arcade as well of course.

I take it they don't have it in the UK?

Arcades have almost ceased to exist in the UK odd. The kids are too drunk/high/thuggish not to abuse the machines horribly. That and home consoles made them not profitable.

Also Yenrot, remember football stickers in school? Imagine that, but you can use them to play a cross between Football Manager and FIFA Ultimate Team in the arcade.

What's a realistic price for Modric right now? I'm aware of the price that Levy has in his mind, but surely he's not worth more than Hazard. I know he's a proven playmaker in the league, however he's also six years older and doesn't have the hype value that Eden currently has.

Honestly, I think anywhere from £25-28m can get the conversation started.
Hype value means over-valued. Means nothing tangible.

The price of a player will be most dependent on how important that player is for the selling club and how important he is for the buying club. Then you can start arguing about age etc.

For Spurs, Modric is very very important and they have no intention of selling him. Lille and Porto were already resigned to losing their players. After buying Hazard and Hulk for £35m, you can bet that will be the absolute minimum Spurs will accept from Chelsea. So if he's really important in Chelsea's plans, they'll have to be prepared to pay at least that much.

Meier

What's a realistic price for Modric right now? I'm aware of the price that Levy has in his mind, but surely he's not worth more than Hazard. I know he's a proven playmaker in the league, however he's also six years older and doesn't have the hype value that Eden currently has.

I would think Modric would fetch £35-40m. He has done very well in the Premier League and has years left on his contract. He's the most or second most important player on their team. Closer to £40 would be likely.

Wes

venison crêpe
Pretty sure Norwich turned down Lambert's resignation to make sure they get compensation from Villa, which they wouldn't be obliged to receive if he simply resigned.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I hate you all. Alan Wake is just..

I'm on Act 5.

It feels as if we're rewarding everyone for a great season. Which is fine, if we gave them all a small financial bonus. I get extending the contract of someone like Bonucci who is young and we can secure until he's well into his prime. Marchisio I get. Chiellini I get. Vidal I get. All players moving into the best part of their careers. I also get players like Buffon who are old but have high salaries. Don't want to get into negotiation and be forced to increase their salary to keep them happy (Buffon isn't a great example of this, but somebody like Quagliarella or Matri might). But I just don't get extending Pepe's contract.

I think 2.5m or abouts is fair for Estigarribia. He's decent, but he's really rough around the edges.

That's lovely. I did really like the solid red down the centre, though.

One of my fav Juventinis on twitter is continuing to call for Vucinic to be dealt in order to help fund our transfer campaign. I tend to agree but I think this is a sale for next year. Vucinic, as wasteful as he was, was magical at times and I don't think we can replace him so readily. I'd rather just keep him until we know we can manage without him. It's not as if he's in his 30s, anyways. Although I'm increasing to think we're going to need two new strikers: one to give Matri a proper, and something of a more traditional trequartista to feed them balls (Giovinco? Probably).

Hey I'm down with 2.5! :p

The contract extension to Bonucci was timed perfectly! He was scoring own goals left and right and losing confidence
AdHlo.gif
AdHlo.gif

Dude are you on twitter?

GorillaJu

I see. Shame really. It's a fun culture.

They're staffed properly here, too. When you stand up from a machine, a staff member rushes over to wipe down the buttons and replace your cigarette tray for the next customer. If a machine is broken they always have spare buttons/joysticks and have it fixed quickly. Been here long enough that I kind of forgot that the arcade culture completely disappeared in the west

My posts are coming across like I'm high. To be fair I am medicated at the moment (~_~;)

bjaelke

Woot! Evian Thonon Gaillard!
Evian picked up 4 Danes last season - all of them are on our national team and 3 of them former Brøndby players.
Are you happy about that? Or is that seen as a strange decision in Denmark?
We haven't really had a good keeper since Schmeichel. Sørensen was decent at best but his age and lack of form is starting to show. Stephan Andersen has upped his game at Evian. We used to call him butter gloves because he'd make a few blunders out of nowhere when he played for Brøndby.
Stephan Andersen, really ? But he is detested by GAF.

Woodenlung ≠ GAF

Wilbur

Banned
Chelsea is getting stronger. Now let's get that manager situation settled.

It'll be RDM, I'm sure of it. If Chelsea are buying players without a manager than there is no way Guardiola or anyone similar subjects themselves to that.

They should have kept Carlo.

It'll be RDM, I'm sure of it. If Chelsea are buying players without a manager than there is no way Guardiola or anyone similar subjects themselves to that.

They should have kept Carlo.
No idea who it'll be but looks a good job to take to me. You get a great group of players, a massive pay-cheque and should you "fail" a few million to go and sit in the sun.

Doubt Guardiola will take it but others might.

Arnie

Playing football in an hour, so I'll get the opportunity to give the Gerrard home shirt one last hurrah. Come tomorrow i'll have my Lucas shirt.

Playing football in an hour, so I'll get the opportunity to give the Gerrard home shirt one last hurrah. Come tomorrow I'll have my Lucas shirt.

Lucas was on Twitter a while back saying he was thinking of changing his number. I suggested 6, but no idea if he will actually do it. o.0

Just read that Galliani has been saw in Paris watching the Roland Garros today, with Ancelotti, Leonardo and PSG's president. I wonder how much they talked about Pato and Thiago.

Meanwhile, Botafogo reps are in Milan, getting ready to sign Seedorf.

(ANSA) - Cremona, May 31 - Italy captain and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon allegedly engaged in illegal gambling to the tune of 1.5 million euros, according to Turin tax police records released Thursday.

Buffon is the latest big name to be linked to Italy's latest betting and match-fixing scandal, in which Juve coach Antonio Conte is under investigation, Lazio captain Stefano Mauri has been arrested, and Zenit Saint Petersburg defender Domenico Criscito was dropped from Italy's Euro 2012 squad after being named in the probe.

The Juve keeper has faced gambling allegations in the past but has always been cleared. Buffon made headlines Wednesday by criticising the way the probe was being handled and how information was being leaked to the press.

Uh... what? Why would he even do that (again)?

It's Sturridge who might be the odd man out, left practicing his step-overs on the sideline. Then again it also might mean he could be the go to CF if he hits a run of form.
Let me revise:

Sturridge is fucked! Come to Aston Villa Daniel!!

Evian picked up 4 Danes last season - all of them are on our national team and 3 of them former Brøndby players.

I plan on following Evian very closely next season. It will be fun to get into a league that isn't talked about much here, and I can brush up on my french.

dc89

Oh good god. I hope the Italian PM doesn't try and get football off the calendar for 3 years. It just seems pretty corrupt in Italy again.

You really don't want N'Zogbia 2.0

Yes I do! I think N'Zogbia will come good this season. I think Downing will come good for Liverpool this season as well, especially if Carroll finds some form. Also, don't forget that Sturridge is from Birmingham and started his youth career with us!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
iewspmUC88bCI.jpg

I can't decide if I want to be Buffon or Del Piero in this picture!
Buffon. Don't judge me
I told you. Play it for the atmosphere alone. Everything else feels half-baked and annoying.

WHAT ATMOSPHERE! It gets old after the first two acts!

I think the story is ruining it for me.

Uh... what? Why would he even do that (again)?

Eh! I thought he was angry about something else entirely!

Is this their answer for his out burst last night? lol.

faridmon

WHAT ATMOSPHERE! It gets old after the first two acts!

I think the story is ruining it for me.

I guess you never gotten into Twin Peaks/Twlight zone. The atmoshphere was great throughout. The mystery (while shitty the way it was told) kept the game going forward and some of the scenery was absolutely sensatinal. The drive of the pick ups and various little things you see along the way keeps the game from getting stale.

I really liked it, but the story was rubbish, I grant you.

Yes I do! I think N'Zogbia will come good this season. I think Downing will come good for Liverpool this season as well, especially if Carroll finds some form. Also, don't forget that Sturridge is from Birmingham and started his youth career with us!

While N'zogbia my become good, Sturridge himself isn't as good. An yes, they are similiar type of players in the sense that they both are wingers who can play as attckers with some dribbling skills. By that reference, I meant how N'Zogbia behaved whenever he wasn't picked and how awful he was whene ver he was picked. Granted, McLeash played Defensive tactics, but he was rubbish nevertheless. Coming from Birmingham or not, doesn't matter. What matters is if he can bring anything to the table and as far as I can see, he won't.

it was a joke, but if you took it seriously, i might as well reply it seriously

elseanio

Lampard out of Euros

LAMPARD TO MISS EUROS

Print Email Share
Thursday, 31 May, 2012

Frank Lampard has been ruled out of Euro 2012 due to a thigh injury.

The Chelsea midfielder pulled his thigh in training on Wednesday and was examined today by the England medical staff following a scan.

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson will be called into the squad - subject to agreement from UEFA’s medical team.

England Manager Roy Hodgson said: “It’s a huge blow for the team, especially coming after the loss of another senior player in Gareth Barry. The fact that the doctor cannot guarantee Frank could take part in any of the group matches means we have to replace him in the central midfield area.

“Apart from it being a huge blow to me and the team, I’m especially disappointed for Frank himself. He has been in very good form and was looking forward to the tournament. He made a huge contribution towards us qualifying for the Euros so it is cruel to be forced out through injury just before the tournament.”

Nothing is certain so far, everything is pretty much still up in the air. Something like this happened in 2006 before the WC and nothing happened to him.
Yesterday Buffon said this about the press.

That's their response to him I guess, fucking lol.
Well, he spoke about the press and how the informations got leaked. I don't see this as a response to that tbh. Plus Cremona's questura isn't looking for him, so everything may disappear in a couple of days.

Realistic price? :lol Levy will not sell at a realistic price to Chelsea.I'm sure he'll sell you Redknapp, but he's not going to sell you Modric unless there's really crazy money on the table. Comparisons to Hazard are pointless. That's not how the transfer market works.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Nothing is certain so far, everything is pretty much still up in the air. Something like this happened in 2006 before the WC and nothing happened to him.

Well, he spoke about the press and how the informations got leaked. I don't see this as a response to that tbh. Plus Cremona's questura isn't looking for him, so everything may disappear in a couple of days.

Yeah, they're saying he's not under investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom