• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

What a dumbass, seriously. Nothing against you guys but this dude could have walked in Köln's first team easily. At Bayern, well, enjoy the 4th division lol

It's just a giant gamble on his part, if he has the talent and get lucky he's on the fast way to success (Alaba, Schweini, Kroos, Badstuber, Müller) and if not he can still find a decent club (Petersen, Usami, Schlaudraff, Kraft and co). It's 50/50 really, i'd bet that if Bayern sees something in him they'll loan him away for a short period of time.

I like the transfer, they basically replaced Usami with a young german talent.

And you are right that Bayern looked frightened.

In fact, I think this current side lacks a courage in general. They also self-imploded against Inter last season and look weak whenever anything doesn't go their way. This does not bode well for FC Germany.

That easy to say. Dont forget that Lahm, Gomez, Schweini all stepped up. Schweini' missed his penalty but it wasnt a bad miss, Cech just got lucky to get his fingertips on it (his run-up is another thing tho, i'll give you that). On top off that Neuer really showed that he has the Bayern-gene and the personality of an absolute winner.
The overall impression of the PK-Shootout is the direct result of bad coaching.

Slizz

Both teams are down right now but that'd be like rooting for Manchester United and Liverpool or something -- you can't root for two dynasties! Pick 1 team or root for someone that absolutely sucks in addition to a good school. Maybe FAU and Miami.

The Noles are gonna curbstomp both teams for the foreseeable future anyway, so that's just twice the pain...

I know you're a Noles fan and I am not denying the talent that they will field this season. However, I'm not convinced with Jimbo or Emmanuel.... Seems like recently FSU was supposed to be a title contender and instead they lose one or 2 stupid games.

That being said they are definitely above the Canes and Gators right now.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
SSN saying Ledley King has officially been released. Hopefully he gets a coaching role at Spurs now. The Norwich game at WHL this season was the first time I have ever seen Ledley look completely foolish and it's a good time to go. Hopefully Vertonghen is a worthy successor.

sixghost

Aye, He is a greta Defensive Midfielder. I wonder if he is upset by the way Moyes is playing him. I really don't want him to move away to Chelsea.

He's pretty damn good anywhere in the midfield. I wouldn't mind him moving to CAM more often if it meant Cahill coming off the bench. Even though he's not the typical trequartista type, he's far more creative than Cahill. Some of the best football Everton played last year was when he was up there. If that is the long term play, I just hope Moyes goes out and gets a quality DM to play alongside Gibson, instead of using it as an excuse to keep Neville in the team for another year.

Dier is half owned by Sporting Lisbon I believe, and half owned by some third party, however the hell that works.

Meier

Mancini says Cavani is out of reach for City at his current price which means either Napoli is asking for a lot more than the Edinson's supposed valuation or Khaldoon is thinking more about FFP than Roman is. It does sound pretty likely that we'll get RVP based off his comments.

Clegg

Mancini says Cavani is out of reach for City at his current price which means either Napoli is asking for a lot more than the Edinson's supposed valuation or Khaldoon is thinking more about FFP than Roman is. It does sound pretty likely that we'll get RVP based off his comments.

If you sign RVP then would you expect one of Dzeko/Tevez to leave?

Meier

I know you're a Noles fan and I am not denying the talent that they will field this season. However, I'm not convinced with Jimbo or Emmanuel.... Seems like recently FSU was supposed to be a title contender and instead they lose one or 2 stupid games.

That being said they are definitely above the Canes and Gators right now.

Haha, just talking a bit of trash. ;) I felt like we were a few years off when EJ took over but gave into the hype last year and bumped up my own internal goals but this year, it feels like we definitely should be a legit contender for the title. The defense is going to be ridiculous, but it all comes down to EJ.

I don't think Jimbo should continue to call plays... if the offense sucks again this year, maybe he'll actually make some changes to how that side of the ball is operated.

If you sign RVP then would you expect one of Dzeko/Tevez to leave?

I think Dzeko to Bayern will happen... way too much smoke for there not to be fire. Who knows on Tevez? I definitely thought he'd be sold to AC Milan but that has quieted down a bit. Tons of time left in the transfer window though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tggy630-xEk

So is there going to be a big move for Matias Suarez this year? Never watched him but its clear he's got skill - plays a lot like Fernando Torres. Wonder how much he'd cost - I reckon he's the type of striker we should be after at Liverpool.

Some Bayern fan asked about him since he's heavily linked to the club but basically don't believe that vid, watched him every week-end, he's been completely crap for 3 years and had his first good 6 months last season. Anderlecht are desperately trying to get rid of him now since he's got his first good spell and his value has skyrocketted. They want to cash in since there's no evidence his run isn't a fluke. They are offering him around for 10M I believe.

He's not a poacher/main striker like Torres btw, he's a winger/support striker type of guy who likes to cut in and curl his shot in the corner. He's much weaker player than Luis Suarez in the same position.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
He's pretty damn good anywhere in the midfield. I wouldn't mind him moving to CAM more often if it meant Cahill coming off the bench. Even though he's not the typical trequartista type, he's far more creative than Cahill. Some of the best football Everton played last year was when he was up there. If that is the long term play, I just hope Moyes goes out and gets a quality DM to play alongside Gibson, instead of using it as an excuse to keep Neville in the team for another year.

Dier is half owned by Sporting Lisbon I believe, and half owned by some third party, however the hell that works.

Rodwell if he isn't hurt for most of the season?

bjaelke

Mancini told Tuttosport: "Who would I choose between Van Persie and Cavani? The Dutchman is a champion, while the Uruguayan has everything and I wanted to take him to Inter Milan when he played at Palermo.

"But to take him at the current price is impossible and Van Persie is a different matter altogether."

While Mancini is happy with his striking options, he could be tempted to bring in defensive reinforcements.

Juventus' Giorgio Chiellini and AC Milan's Thiago Silva are reported to be top targets for City, but Mancini claims it would be difficult to bring either to England.

He said: "Chiellini? I thought about him last year, not now. There are many other options.

"Thiago Silva? AC Milan will not sell him."
I wouldn't interpret his answer that way.

Choc

Banned
drog is a free transfer?

fuck :eek:

edit: there is some names in this list that used to be 'stars'

andy johnson for example, Heskey (well maybe), Almunia isnt the worst GK, Ricardo Fuller was okish, Ledley King

you could put together a decent 11 with names in this list

Seems like a subtle "no way, fuck off" to De Laurentiis, a message that needs to get through to him at least every week so he doesn't start demanding 100mil for him, nothing more.

ibtdfEamAjkjxO.jpg

Meier

I wouldn't interpret his answer that way.

I suppose it just matters how the interview is quoted. This article paints it in a bit of a different light when coupled with the bit about signing one if one leaves (which seems likely).

"We will sign a striker if one of our forwards will leave," Mancini told Tuttosport. "We want to keep all of them. [Robin] van Persie is a top class player. His situation is different than the [Gael] Clichy and [Samir] Nasri ones, when we signed them. It was difficult to keep them at London for [Arsene] Wenger.

"It's impossible to sign [Edinson] Cavani at his current price, Van Persie is different. Cavani has everything. I wanted him when I was at Inter and he didn't score so many goals."
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mancini-hints-manchester-city-move-094200296--sow.html

Who knows, we'll see how it all pans out. I think it will happen although I've said it before and will say it again that I'm not sold on the move. I'd rather a younger guy with less history of injury.

Gambit

That easy to say. Dont forget that Lahm, Gomez, Schweini all stepped up. Schweini' missed his penalty but it wasnt a bad miss, Cech just got lucky to get his fingertips on it (his run-up is another thing tho, i'll give you that). On top off that Neuer really showed that he has the Bayern-gene and the personality of an absolute winner.
The overall impression of the PK-Shootout is the direct result of bad coaching.

No complaints about Schweini. I would have normally included Lahm in my rant, but he is (finally!) back to his old self, so he is excused as well. Same goes for Neuer, no doubt.

It wasn't really a complaint only about the last shoot-out. It's been a Bayern problem for years, imo. They don't have the "Hitzfeld mentality" anymore, where the other teams knew that if Bayern scored a goal, they were done for. And if Bayern didn't score a goal, the other team was wary of the final minutes. (Obviously, not all games played out like that, but Bayern had this myth surrounding them)

For a while now, it has been different. Even if Bayern was the superior team, they sometimes gave the game away. Complacency? Lack of concentration? I don't know what the reason is, but I think it all comes down to, as you said, "bad coaching". Maybe they need a psychologist ("Mentaltrainer").

bjaelke

I suppose it just matters how the interview is quoted. This article paints it in a bit of a different light when coupled with the bit about signing one if one leaves (which seems likely).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mancini-hints-manchester-city-move-094200296--sow.html

Who knows, we'll see how it all pans out. I think it will happen although I've said it before and will say it again that I'm not sold on the move. I'd rather a younger guy with less history of injury.

It's like Tuttosport did 2 separate interviews:
He said: "Tevez? I have forgiven him, even if he didn't play much. He will stay, unless he asks to leave.

"Kolarov? I would like to keep him even though he didn't play that much in the last few months and that is a difficult situation for him to accept."
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11679/7790238/Mancini-Cavani-too-costly

Clegg

I wan't that impressed with the Tomb Raider trailer.

It was aping Uncharted which originally aped Tomb Raider.

Now TR jut looks like an inferior "gritty" Uncharted.

GorillaJu

Roberto Mancini is what it would be like if MPW became a manager.

Shut the fuck up about other clubs' players until you've signed them.

I have no idea how he can be so classless in this one regard. Every transfer window it's the same shit. As a manager, it's very unprofessional behavior. At least Chelsea's managers have been good about it - Ancelotti, until the day Torres was signed, insisted "Torres is a Liverpool player. He's not mine to discuss."

Scholes is on that, odd.

Well, he signed a contract till the end of the season, and he probably hadn't signed the new one before these names were drawn up.

I agree, but at the same time I'm completely alright with a little worse version of Uncharted.

Glad to see the Bosingwa and Kalou stories officially confirmed with the released players list. They had their moments but it really is their time to go.

fuenf

No complaints about Schweini. I would have normally included Lahm in my rant, but he is (finally!) back to his old self, so he is excused as well. Same goes for Neuer, no doubt.

It wasn't really a complaint only about the last shoot-out. It's been a Bayern problem for years, imo. They don't have the "Hitzfeld mentality" anymore, where the other teams knew that if Bayern scored a goal, they were done for. And if Bayern didn't score a goal, the other team was wary of the final minutes. (Obviously, not all games played out like that, but Bayern had this myth surrounding them)

For a while now, it has been different. Even if Bayern was the superior team, they sometimes gave the game away. Complacency? Lack of concentration? I don't know what the reason is, but I think it all comes down to, as you said, "bad coaching". Maybe they need a psychologist ("Mentaltrainer").

They have a psychologist but he didnt even bother to speak to Kroos after Kroos' pk miss in Madrid (nor did the other coaches) . The team never practised PKs (with the exception of Müller who did it in his free time with Butt and Neuer). I mean it's no wonder that Kroos' confidence is shot in the final.

But i know what you mean, they lost their winning mentality with the introduction of Van Gaal and the new system. Suddenly instead of just winning, playing beautiful football became the priority. They somehow forgot that they still need to score. Add our two divas on the wings and it's a recipe for disaster. Now that i think about it, it might've already started in 07 with the transfers of Ribery, Toni and Klose, that was the point when Bayern stopped being Bayern and began to rely on individual quality and star power.

faridmon

However, we have seen plenty of times where Fellaini did not perform well upfront (Pre-January) and the reason why he played so good was that he had protection in the back (Gibson) and used Osmans creativity to perform as a plymaker. However, I have seen be more comfortable at DM. But you are right, anything that keeps Cahil and Neville on the bench is a plus.

I want a proper playmaker to be bought this summer, either that or an AM. I really thing we have a saturation of DM midfielders between Gibson, Rodwell, Fellaini and Neville (In know, I know). Howver, our piority is to sign Pianaar on a permenant deal, and not sell Fellaini and Baines. anything else is an icing on the cake.

We don't even own Eric Dier. Bloody Hell! There goes another young talent from our grip. What on earth is the board up to?

Rodwell if he isn't hurt for most of the season?

Aye, the Fellaini and Rodwell partnership in the middle looked very exciting before he got injured (I know we sucked at that time, but those two were the stars of a sea of mediocirity) Hope with the rest of this summer, he can comeback fresher than ever.

I liked the Depeche Mode soundtrack.
I love Depeche Mode and hence I love this game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
As far as I'm concerned, a CG trailer is not a trailer. :p

too bad the graphics (environments) look like crap :(

Fine by me! As long as they get the gameplay right!

ioe00u8RDwF8B.jpg

Make it right, PlatinumGames.

odd_morsel said:
Roberto Mancini is what it would be like if MPW became a manager.

Shut the fuck up about other clubs' players until you've signed them.

"I like Cavani, RVP and Chiellini, but it's not right to talk about them"

Carbonox

I'm done with Uncharted after the abysmal Uncharted 3. Tomb Raider looks infinitely more appealing to me.

Clegg

All my hype has gone to Dishonored. I need this game.

I'm hyped for Reveangeance and Hitman but they won't be out until next year.

Dishonored comes out in 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom