• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
portt_1msezc.gif

Haha that's brilliant. A shame it wasn't in a real match.

lol Damn. ok game. Hazard was pretty much shit. Who surprised me the most was Welbeck and the Ox.

I wouldn't say overrated for Hazard, but he was barely in the game at all.

That's a hilarious thing to say for the player with the most touches on the ball. I wonder if you would say anyone were in the game

His style is more Joe Cole than Luka Modric but Eden Hazard did everything he could to prove his worth at Wembley.
The stats added up for the attacking midfielder in his first performance after saying he is joining Chelsea from Lille, too, but an end result was missing:
Hazard took 90 touches in his 90-minute appearance, 27 more than the busiest England player.

Attempted and completed more passes than any other player - 62 of 71 on target.
Fired the most shots - with two on target and two wayward.
Created six chances as he roamed around the England half.

lBuQv.jpg

Noirulus

Portugal is similar to the Netherlands squad except we've got worse goalkeeping, a shitty striker, and an average mid-field. We're going to get rammed in the behind unless we channel the spirit that allowed us to constantly beat expectations in the past decade.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
argentina needs to come up with a good defensive line for 2014. that's the team's Achilles' heel.

they don't have fullbacks, Zabaleta and Clemente are shit.

Susy Campanale's editorial at Football-Italia on the Italian national team's latest embarrassment has touches of brilliance:

The midfield ought to be solid as rock with Andrea Pirlo flanked by Claudio Marchisio and Daniele De Rossi. Riccardo Montolivo is the weak link – how many times have we said that at club and international level?

Followed immediately by absolute ludicrous:

It remains a mystery to me how Andrea Barzagli is anywhere near the Nazionale and Federico Balzaretti is apparently there through lack of alternatives. This is the rock-solid defence we aimed to face Spain with?

Spoken like a true Milanista who never watched Barzagli command the Juventus defense like a four-star general. Why are we pretending like he isn't class? He's absolute class. The problem is playing Maggio out on the right in a flat four when he's been playing in, basically, a RW-cum-RWB role for Napoli for years. He's not really meant to play there any longer. And if we're surprised that he's a shit defender now, we should have just looked at Napoli's defense (ok, Aronica is shit, but Maggio's main contribution is going forward which is why Napoli NEEDS 3 in the back).

Anyways, forza ItalJuve!

K1LLER7

I think Zabaleta is a decent RB. he'll keep improving at City as he plays and get more games against top quality teams now that he plays in the CL too. They could do worse IMO.

dschalter

Susy Campanale's editorial at Football-Italia on the Italian national team's latest embarrassment has touches of brilliance:

Followed immediately by absolute ludicrous:

Spoken like a true Milanista who never watched Barzagli command the Juventus defense like a four-star general. Why are we pretending like he isn't class? He's absolute class. The problem is playing Maggio out on the right in a flat four when he's been playing in, basically, a RW-cum-RWB role for Napoli for years. He's not really meant to play there any longer. And if we're surprised that he's a shit defender now, we should have just looked at Napoli's defense (ok, Aronica is shit, but Maggio's main contribution is going forward which is why Napoli NEEDS 3 in the back).

Anyways, forza ItalJuve!

Montolivo certainly is shit (he doesn't do anything!), but Barzagli, eh, he's not really the greatest., even if he plays for Juve.

Clegg

right now, i'd take him over Evra if he was a LB, but play Bebe there and nobody scores

edit:eek:ff-topic but there's gonna be alot of Resi 6 at capcoms conference, hyped!!!

Rumours are going around that GTA V may actally be shown at E3.

I loved GTA IV. Haters be damned.

Slizz

Rumours are going around that GTA V may actally be shown at E3.

I loved GTA IV. Haters be damned.

I love GTA for what it is, amazing free roaming single player.

I go as far as I need to mission wise to gain access to all islands, once that happens I pretty much abandon missions and just fuck around. Very fun.

Clegg

I complete the missions but I spend an awful lot of time just screwing around the city in between missions.

I think GTA IV lacked a bit in the fun side though. But it's still a brilliant game.

I want an Italy shirt and one for the boy but not paying full price and would take ages from tr dodgy sites

I had ordered the boy one from sports direct and they later canceled telling me they don't do 1-2 years anymore but still had it on te website

Wilbur

Banned
Eamon Dunphy once compared McShane to Spanish international defender Sergio Ramos, labelling Sergio Ramos "...like Paul McShane on steroids".

Clegg

Bebe and I forget his name, but the Sunderland defender Clegg liked for his national team. Looked like a future star in the youtube clips.

I know you're joking but never ever say I like that uncoordinated, club footed shitehawk Paul Mc Shane.

He's genuinely one of the worst defenders I've ever seen and I still can't fathom why clubs still offer him professional contracts.

He's on on a level below that of a pub footballer. He has a good physique but no footballing brain whatsoever.

He can't pass, he can't defend, and he's slower than John fucking Terry.

Just thinking about him makes me despair. He's only going to the Euro's because players originally selected have been rules out.

But thats no comfort to me.

K1LLER7

lol, why did United ever sell him. Use the Ronaldo money and Bring him back home. Just to make sure, give him the No.7 shirt.

^ he'll score in the final and win you the Euros. he'll be an Instant national hero and then every year, there will be a Paul Mc Shane day, just for you to celebrate what a fine specimen of a man he is.

FootballFan

Is anyone as good as Evra?

He's not shit because he gets exposed by speedy wingers. He's done fine in the Premier League most of the season. Underrated player.

Maybe so, but other big international teams have players like D.Alves, Lahm, Abate, S.Ramos at right-back. So I think what Error means is Argentina need players of that quality, not players like Fernandez and Zabaleta who are both on the bench for their clubs(when Richards isn't injured). I agree though, he is underrated.

I know you're joking but never ever say I like that uncoordinated, club footed shitehawk Paul Mc Shane.

He's genuinely one of the worst defenders I've ever seen and I still can't fathom why clubs still offer him professional contracts.

He's on on a level below that of a pub footballer. He has a good physique but no footballing whatsoever.

He can't pass, he can't defend, and he's slower than John fucking Terry.

Just thinking about him makes me despair. He's only going to the Euro's because players originally selected have been rules out.

But thats no comfort to me.

It has to be because he was once on the books at United. That's the only possible reason. Am I right in thinking he made the ROI squad ahead of Seamus Coleman?

Clegg

It has to be because he was once on the books at United. That's the only possible reason. Am I right in thinking he made the ROI squad ahead of Seamus Coleman?

Coleman and Mc Shane were both omitted from the 23 man squad for the Euros. But they each got a place on the 5 man standby list in case of any injuries to squad members. Kevin Foley got injured and Mc Shane took his place.

Coleman should have been part of the original 23 man squad anyway. He is our best full back by far and can also cover the wing if we're in a pinch. I can't fathom why he's been left out of the squad.

Coleman and Mc Shane were both omitted from the 23 man squad for the Euros. But they each got a place on the 5 man standby list in case of any injuries to squad members. Kevin Foley got injured and Mc Shane took his place.

Coleman should have been part of the original 23 man squad anyway. He is our best full back by far and can also cover the wing if we're in a pinch. I can't fathom why he's been left out of the squad.

I just watched an interview with him on youtube. His favourite games are Pro Evo and Call of Duty, his favourite soap is Heroes (I think I'll give him that one because it's as bad as a soap), and his favourite restaurant is TGI Fridays, although he only ever orders starters... so not only is he a terrible footballer, but he's also a terrible human being.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So the myth of the altitude is pretty much over, isn't it?

Good job Chile, good job Venezuela, HOLY FUCKING SHIT Argentina.
Toni is awesome :( he doesn't deserved that.

Btw, I wrote an article (in spanish) about the formation Honduras uses and other formations we could use that would work better given the type of player we have.

http://www.elcanterano.com/opinion-que-formacion-deberia-usar-la-seleccion-de-honduras/

:D (I know nobody cares, but still).
Buen artículo güey.

TeegsD

Thank the spaghetti monster that I missed the game today. How do we get spanked by Turkey 3-1 with the side they fielded? I'm just going to pretend that this game and the last never happened and that we are still going to top group b

Meier

argentina needs to come up with a good defensive line for 2014. that's the team's Achilles' heel.

they don't have fullbacks, Zabaleta [is] shit.

Yeah, because Barca with their pick of the litter always try and buy shitty players.
eyeroll.gif
Zabaleta was a huge part of City's resurgence and as someone else mentioned, should continue to improve in the face of tougher competition (as he did this year). He's a hard-working guy who the fans really love.

I wonder if Nicolas Otamendi will become as good in real life as he does in FIFA and FM? I'm sure Argentina (and Porto.. I bet they can't wait to sell him) hopes so!

Zabojnik

Montolivo certainly is shit (he doesn't do anything!), but Barzagli, eh, he's not really the greatest., even if he plays for Juve.

Barzagli is pretty great and that's partly because he plays for Juve. Which is why you can't expect him to hold the front with Balzaretti on one side and Maggio on the other. You could pair him with Chiellini instead of Bonucci, with Thiago Silva or whomever in the center and it still wouldn't make much of a difference, imo.

It may sound arrogant coming from me, but Prandelli really should have just copied Juve's formation and fill the remaining roles the best he can with the men at his disposal. It's what makes the most sense. Something like this might just work ...

------Giovinco - Genius - Pepe--------

------Marchisio - Pirlo - De Rossi------

Chiellini - Bonucci - Barzagli - Maggio

---------------- Buffon -----------------

Why not bring Pepe? What he lacks in pure class he makes up with pace and intensity and he can double as a WF / RM. Maggio is no Lichtsteiner when it comes to defending, but with De Rossi and Pepe on the same rail he'd be pretty covered. De Rossi has had a shitty season, but if that's what it takes to keep Dormolivo on the bench, then fine. And if he brought De Ceglie he could've easily changed to a 3-5-2 on the fly. Giovinco out for Cassano, De Ceglie in for Pepe or Maggio and you'd have ...

-------------- Cassano - Genius -----------------

De Ceglie -Marchisio - Pirlo - De Rossi- Maggio

--------- Chiellini - Bonucci - Barzagli-----------

--------------------- Buffon ----------------------

A true ItalJuve. Prandelli would have to swallow his pride, but that's what being a manager of a national football team is all about anyway. You're not the coach, you're the 'selector'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom