• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a good 12 hours LTTP here, but a few pages ago there was a debate running about Gerrard and him being a great player, I find this quite interesting and it's a conversation I've had with alot of people over the years, so I thought i'd give my opinion.

So, is Gerrard a great player? I think it was mentioned the definition is important, and it really is because people use the term "great player" and "world class" and quite often have totally different definitions of what they mean. I don't think Gerrard has been a great player in the sense that he's been a footballing great, one of those timeless players of which you only get a handful in a generation. So by that definition I don't think he's been a great. But of course, he has been a really incredible player over the years.

Anyway, I'm not that concerned about whether he has been or not, more just, Gerrard generally and his strengths and weaknesses, because I think he's one player who peaks very high and low.

I think it was mentioned he's technically lacking. I agree. You couldn't say he has bad technique, but for the very top players, his technique hasn't been as good as others...and it's typical of most English players. Rooney reminds me of Gerrard in this sense, with the tell-tale signs a very inconsistent touch on the ball, sometimes great and then sometimes heavy. Also, in tight spaces and areas I think too often Gerrard's touch and passing is poor. Rooney is just the same for me and whilst the both of them still have great games and moment this will always hold players like that back IMO, that you can never be certain about them because their control is just so...different from game to game, not consistent or reliable.

The other "flaw" which Gerrard has had IMO, has been his inability to dictate the tempo or pace of a game and it basically comes down to the whole "hollywood" idea. I think the very great players should be able to put their foot on the ball and take control of a game. Demand the ball, pick it up, play it, get it back, move other players about, both on their own team and on the opposition. Gerrard has never had that about him and as such he hasn't been a great play-maker IMO. He's not just lacked positional discipline but the discipline, composure and foresight to dictate the flow of games, this was something Xabi Alonso used to do for Liverpool quite alot, alongside Gerrard. (Unrelated but I think this is the one area of Cristiano Ronaldo's game which is severely lacking and for similar reasons, he isn't a good play-maker and it's almost because he doesn't want to be, he's not interested...and it really is something which holds you back when being considered as an elite level player IMO and where Messi is a million miles ahead of him.)

The thing is though, Gerrard has been so good elsewhere and whilst I don't think he has ever been able to impact games by controlling them for long periods...his short term impact has just been devastating, truly match turning moments. His greatest for me will always be the FA Cup final against West Ham when he scored the long ranger, that was the one time that sticks out for me when I thought, "damn, Gerrard is just something else, a true force". It came from nowhere and it just turned the game around completely...there are many similar moments like this for Gerrard of course.

IMO he has always been a very individual player. But he has had so many great moments that it was worth it for Liverpool. And now, slowly, it's less and less worth it and it's been mentioned by LFC fans here and others...that actually, Gerrard was having a negative effect on the team in some games....but then he has games like the one against Everton, priceless performances when he pretty much wins the game on his very own. In that sense I think his greatest strength in his uncanny and often unmatched ability to just pull things out of the fire has limited him from becoming that player who could, almost take that secondary role, and make things happen for others, not just in an "assists" way, but by making those around him better players, by making things easy for them. I don't think Gerrard has ever made his team as a whole play better, or made players around him look better or play better (I think Zidane was the master of this)...he just used to drag them through games kicking and screaming instead...something which is actually quite incredible. Gerrard has won over 10 medals with LFC I think, that's pretty awesome when you consider how average their team has been for most of his career. Not to shit on the whole team and other players they've had...they've had some really good ones, but a 10+ medal haul for him is pretty impressive.

People often compare Gerrard and Scholes and I think the other had the one quality each could have really done with. Gerrard could have done with Scholes' finesse in play-making and Scholes, Gerrard's in moment and games of individual importance. Of course, that isn't to say they're both totally shit in the areas where they're a little bit weaker...they've been brilliant players, just IMO a little bit lacking in certain areas.

I think Gerrard is going to really struggle in this latter part of his career because he'll have to change his game in a fundamental way. It's not just about being a water carrier, by letting others have responsibility ahead of you and appreciating and doing the slightly simpler things which are actually, just as important, or at least not far behind in importance. IMO this is something which most good English players suffer from and it's why England hardly have play as a good team.

Anyway, if somebody asks me whether Gerrard is a great player or not I always say yes because he's just had some moments of absolute brilliance which very very few players have, and he's had a few of them....but I do see why people don't rate him that highly, because for alot of football fans that mercurial ability to set tempo is something they find really important in CM players.

I think Gerrard has always been better than Lampard though. Lampard's been a bit of a half way house between Scholes and Gerrard I think. Lampard fits better into a team but I think England should have completely built the team around Gerrard. It's not like we ever had a handful of amazing players (we told ourselves we did I guess) and Gerrard could have got the job done in some of those games where we were close if he had the licence to be free and just do what he wants. That's when he's best and you have to say, in that role, he got Liverpool through time after time after time. A proper match-winner.

Well, it's probably a bit biased but that's my opinion on Gerrard. Always been fascinated by him. I hope he sticks around for a few more years but I can see his embers dying fast now.

Messi

The best time for kit collecting for me is in the run up to the world cup, because International > club kits.

By the way Argentina have such cool kits right now. Adidas knocked it out of the park with international kits recently. Germany home and away, Argentina (the away is a thing of beauty) Spain home.

While I am here and no one else is posting the new Barcelona is lovely in person, the material is so soft. Nice change from last seasons tight sandpaper kit.

Salazar

mYnBj.gif
s3ih1.gif
9S2EF.gif

Lampard looks like he's had a few.

GorillaJu

Good post, Viva. Think you really nailed it, there.

Though I think Gerrard is technically gifted - he can strike the ball a way few others can. He doesn't have many technical qualities that many of the best players have, such as close control, dribbling, etc. But the way he passes and shoots has always been top notch.

Rad-

And according to The Mirror City are set to kick off their summer activity with a £25m bid for Javi Martinez.

I'm pretty shocked Madrid hasn't gone for him yet. He's exactly what the current Madrid team needs, a player who can play CB and DM (they need a CB and someone to rotate Khedira with).

Barca could use him as well.

The only reason I can think of is his price. Based on how the club values him, I think that 25 million bid will get rejected.

dc89

argentina needs to come up with a good defensive line for 2014. that's the team's Achilles' heel.

they don't have fullbacks, Zabaleta and Clemente are shit.

Zabaleta is a good player IMO. Not the best but still very good and I think City only paid £6m for him so it was a good buy.

Rumours are going around that GTA V may actally be shown at E3.

I loved GTA IV. Haters be damned.

Eek! It's all I want to see really.

The best time for kit collecting for me is in the run up to the world cup, because International > club kits.

By the way Argentina have such cool kits right now. Adidas knocked it out of the park with international kits recently. Germany home and away, Argentina (the away is a thing of beauty) Spain home.

While I am here and no one else is posting the new Barcelona is lovely in person, the material is so soft. Nice change from last seasons tight sandpaper kit.

I want an Argentina away shirt.

I'm pretty shocked Madrid hasn't gone for him yet. He's exactly what the current Madrid team needs, a player who can play CB and DM (they need a CB and someone to rotate Khedira with).

Barca could use him as well.

The only reason I can think of is his price. Based on how the club values him, I think that 25 million bid will get rejected.

Yeh. He may cost us quite a lot of money :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Happy Birthday Amauri! Juve legend.

Susy Campanale's editorial at Football-Italia on the Italian national team's latest embarrassment has touches of brilliance:

I'm really surprised she didn't bring up Muntari's goal again.

As far as Italian CBs go, Bonucci is the weakest link. He's either brilliant or a complete and utter disaster.

-------------- Cassano - Genius -----------------

De Ceglie -Marchisio - Pirlo - De Rossi- Maggio

--------- Chiellini - Bonucci - Barzagli-----------

--------------------- Buffon ----------------------

A true ItalJuve. Prandelli would have to swallow his pride, but that's what being a manager of a national football team is all about anyway. You're not the coach, you're the 'selector'.

This looks good to me, tried and tested. Too many Juve players? Perhaps, but It's not our fault Inter and Milan are South American teams. I guess we could say the same about every single team in the top 6-7 :/

No idea why Mattia Cassani or De Ceglie are not called up, both of them can be pretty good backups.

pulga

Banned
Toni is awesome :( he doesn't deserved that.

Btw, I wrote an article (in spanish) about the formation Honduras uses and other formations we could use that would work better given the type of player we have.

http://www.elcanterano.com/opinion-que-formacion-deberia-usar-la-seleccion-de-honduras/

:D (I know nobody cares, but still).

I sure as hell care lol. Sea como sea, el hoyo negro que tenemos sigue siendo el delantero. No podemos depender de Suazo, sus constantes lesiones y poco tiempo de juego que recibe en Italia han deteriorado completamente esa esperanza goleadora que antes teniamos. Añadamos la falta de respeto y amor a los colores que Costly demuestra al no querer participar en la LINA para mejorar su nivel, y la verdad tengo muy pocas expectativas. El Salvador no es México, Estados Unidos, ni siquiera Costa Rica. Creo que la vamos a pasar muy mal. Pero estoy totalmente de acuerdo, debemos jugar con una punta. Creo que nuestro fútbol no esta listo para el 3-4-3, pero me atrae mucho tu propuesta. 4-2-3-1 creo que es el indicado, considerando las piezas que tenemos.

Sorry English GAF :)

Edit: continued to browse the site, very slick, elsk! Loved the transfer rumor section, had a good lol at the sorry state we're in.
ok I cried

Salazar

That's a great wee video.

I never tire of dexterity, of any kind. Whenever I go to see an orchestra, I find myself just tracking the lead violin's arms and forgetting to listen.

Behind the Scenes at MUFC 1989 doco, 3 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j33Aw-sELFI&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cYvgEiVwoU&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwKzSJRUOMI&feature=relmfu

^^^^ Some of the amateur dramatics re-enactments, lol.

"By the way, Boss, there's a shirt missing"

Oxx

Well, finished all the levels in that Score iOS game. I don't think I have the patience or dexterity to get three stars in each one, though.

fuenf

I had a really weird dream: In London Arsenal fans were celebrating their Premier League Championship together with Tottenham fans who had just won the Champions League. wtf is wrong with me :( sure it was just a dream but even for a dream it seems a little bit far fetched.

dc89

In the Mail on Sunday's Live magazine they have a good interview with Joe Hart. He said just like other fans he sat down to watch SSN when Hodgson was unveiled.

Arnie

Just read an interesting opinion, based on statistics, suggesting that corners should be used as a way to recycle possession in the final third, rather than an opportunity to lump the ball into the box, of which it becomes highly improbable that you'll score.

Nice post Viva, I agree with your summation of Gerrard's abilities, of course it's harder for me to be so objective about him because I see him as the greatest player I've ever witnessed, simply, and without a doubt a once in a generation player.

You mention that Everton game last season, and when I think back to that I bubble with unbridled joy. I saw a few absolutely horrible games at Anfield last year, but that and the City semi make up for it.

Wilbur

Banned
I remember once in the editor when I was young I was messing around adding money and whatnot and I added an injury. Laughing to myself I hoped that in-game John Terry was out and I'd win the 2005/06 title.

I opened the game and after a week of pre-season training, Rio Ferdinand had a severe injury of AIDS and was out indefinitely, causing him to retire.

Yen

I remember once in the editor when I was young I was messing around adding money and whatnot and I added an injury. Laughing to myself I hoped that in-game John Terry was out and I'd win the 2005/06 title.

I opened the game and after a week of pre-season training, Rio Ferdinand had a severe injury of AIDS and was out indefinitely, causing him to retire.

Did you add AIDS to the game?

GorillaJu

I want some kind of game to satisfy my fantasy soccer needs... but I absolutely loath Fifa, and PES can't keep my attention at all, sadly.

I like FM, I just suck at it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Morning Sc....dude, change your name!

I want some kind of game to satisfy my fantasy soccer needs... but I absolutely loath Fifa, and PES can't keep my attention at all, sadly.

I like FM, I just suck at it.

Are you saying you don't like pressing five buttons simultaneously to score a goal?

dc89

Lumines on Vita is SO good. It's just a time sink though, you sit down to play and before long you've put 45 minutes in.

Lots of rumours that today is "hazday"!

More interested in hulk but it will be good to finally confirm it :D

Also talk that sturridge is available for sale? I'd be gutted if it were true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom