• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not supporting England at the Euro's anymore.

Glad I didn't buy that England shirt.

It's very clear for all to see why Ferdinand was left out of the squad now. I can't support or back a team which makes decisions like that. Maybe I'm over-reacting but I genuinely find it quite disgusting.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm sure Cahill broke his own jaw to rule himself out.

It's very clear for all to see why Ferdinand was left out of the squad now. I can't support or back a team which makes decisions like that. Maybe I'm over-reacting but I genuinely find it quite disgusting.

Explain!

dc89

I'm sure Cahill broke his own jaw to rule himself out.

Explain!

He and JT don't like each other. That can be the only explanation.

Roy should have just come out and say it. There's nothing wrong with not liking someone, I don't get what the big deal is. Because Roy said he left Rio out for 'footballing reasons' which hinted at him not being good enough. Not being funny or anything, but Rio & Kelly, there is no comparison.

So Ferdinand was left out for footballing reasons was he... they've handled this really badly. We're scraping the bottom of the barrell when we've got a top class centre half sitting at home doing nothing. If Roy was a good appointment because he would lower expectations then he's certainly doing just that.

Oxx

Well, Rio wasn't on the reserve list, so we knew he was unlikely to step-in at this point.

Man, these Diablo 3 credits are going on a bit.

Because Ferdinand doesn't like Terry because he called his brother a black cunt, allegedly at least.

The FA and Roy prefer Terry to Rio (fair enough) so they have picked him. It's pissing me off because 1) Hodgson has lied through his teeth about it and that all but confirms it for me. 2) Because they've put Terry ahead of principle. Terry should not play for England until his name is cleared. The allegation against him is strong and there is good enough evidence for it to be tried in court.

Usually I don't give a shit about this kind of thing...but this is pissing me off. Maybe it's because somebody was racist to me yesterday and this is kinda getting under my skin, but I really find the FA's decision making here really sad and there are plenty of racial minorities who I've spoken to over the last few weeks who are beginning to feel that the FA is not serious about racism. Not serious enough to drop JT anyway.

FWIW, I'm really happy for Martin Kelly and I hope and actually I'm quite certain if he plays he'll do well. Rate him.

Mastadon

Banned
I think we all knew the reason Roy left Rio at home was because he and Terry wouldn't have co-existed at all well. Roy wasn't exactly going to come out and say though was he? As much as I dislike Terry, he probably is the better defender out of the two.

Because they've put Terry ahead of principle. Terry should not play for England until his name is cleared. The allegation against him is strong and there is good enough evidence for it to be tried in court.

That's an interesting point. In this case it would probably have been the right course of action, but it does set quite a slippery slope in terms of precedent.

caramac

Haha, sleep on it. You might feel better when the euro's come around.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's become self-aware.

E8gLf.gif
E8gLf.gif
E8gLf.gif
E8gLf.gif
E8gLf.gif
E8gLf.gif

IIRC, he said the same thing in the WC thread.

Lord Snow

Banned
I still don't understand why Ferdinand was dropped for Terry, I mean they can't (don't want to) play together which makes sense but Ferdinand had the better season and is the better player anyway so if anything Terry should have been the one dropped.

Made up for Martin Kelly though, it's ridiculous how much abuse him and Henderson are getting. How on Earth is it their fault that Carrick and Richards refused to be on the stand-by list? And Roy's the one who picked them. I might have to actually support England now mind, feck.

Stubo

Call him injury prone/slow/whatever all you like, but Rio is a superior CB to Kelly, there is absolutely zero question. Blatant that 'footballing reasons' are not the only thing behind this, just throwing the situation further down the toilet in my opinion.

I still don't understand why Ferdinand was dropped for Terry, I mean they can't (don't want to) play together which makes sense but Ferdinand had the better season and is the better player anyway so if anything Terry should have been the one dropped.

Made up for Martin Kelly though, it's ridiculous how much abuse him and Henderson are getting. How on Earth is it their fault that Carrick and Richards refused to be on the stand-by list? And Roy's the one who picked them. I might have to actually support England now mind, feck.
It isn't their fault, but those two should never have been standby options anyway. Clearly they both believe this also, and feel rightly insulted by their exclusion.

kharma45

Players don't have to be on the stand-by list to be called up

http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/competitions/euro/91/87/57/918757_download.pdf

p21-22

Stubo

Given two options, both of which involve looking like a 100% muppet, it is not surprising that Hodgson chooses the one that does not additionally involve backing down.
100% muppet either way, but one benefits your team more than the other.

Not saying I'm surprised he didn't put his hands up, but it would've been his first 'top' move as manager.

Mastadon

Banned
It isn't their fault, but those two should never have been standby options anyway. Clearly they both believe this also, and feel rightly insulted by their exclusion.

Carrick tended his international resignation in January. It was hardly a surprise that he wasn't been called up for England then, consider how absolutely awful he was in the two seasons before this one.

Lord Snow

Banned
I agree but the abuse they're getting is ridiculous. If people are looking for someone to abuse/blame then why not the manager who decided which players would be in the squad.

Ah right. The 'footballing reasons' excuse was obviously bollocks anyway.

Stubo

Carrick tended his International resignation in January. It was hardly a surprise that he wasn't been called up for England then, consider how absolutely awful he was in the two seasons before this one.
Didn't stop Downing getting the call, can of worms etc.

I am obviously biased, but the Richards exclusion will puzzle me always, and there's definitely no positive City bias in me :p

I agree but the abuse they're getting is ridiculous. If people are looking for someone to abuse/blame then why not the manager who decided which players would be in the squad.
Yeah I would agree with this, the players can't do anything about the situation and all they will do is try to bring out their best when placed on the field. The manager makes the selections and I think most fans would be united in their opinion of this.

Going to have to love you and leave you guys, off journeying to a friends' in preparation for being drunk, umm I mean celebrating the jubilee tomorrow!

Mastadon

Banned
Didn't stop Downing getting the call, can of worms etc.

I am obviously biased, but the Richards exclusion will puzzle me always, and there's definitely no positive City bias in me :p

Downing is a naturally left footed player, so his inclusion doesn't really surprise me. Obviously if there was stronger competition in his position, he'd be nowhere near the England squad after his horrible season.

Last year though, I doubt you would have found many United fans who would have been advocating Carrick for England. Most fans I know wanted rid of him after a couple of anonymous seasons.

Slizz

Think I just killed a baby pygmy rattlesnake on my patio.... Cat was just staring at the thing not attacking it, this little snake had its tail shaking and head cocked and mouth open ready to strike. Very aggressive when I tried to sweep him out the patio, bit the broom consistently... Called my friend who had a bunch of snakes and worked at a vet office for a lot of his life, and he said it might be since they are conducive to the area. Had to chop that thing up, still haven't cleaned it up yet though, he told me the nerves are still active for a few hours.

Think I just killed a baby pygmy rattlesnake on my patio.... Cat was just staring at the thing not attacking it, this little snake had its tail shaking and head cocked and mouth open ready to strike. Very aggressive when I tried to sweep him out the patio, bit the broom consistently... Called my friend who had a bunch of snakes and worked at a vet office for a lot of his life, and he said it might be since they are conducive to the area. Had to chop that thing up, still haven't cleaned it up yet though, he told me the nerves are still active for a few hours.
Woah. What. Pics.

Not really, don't wanna see that shit

Cook it!

Rio Ferdinand has every right to be apoplectic right now. Footballing reasons now being shown up for what they are: bullshit.

So your brother is allegedly racially abused and you don't get picked for the squad, despite clearly being a better defender than Kelly?

Pretty disgusting actually.

elseanio

My snake is still AWOL :(

Pictures of my fake/faulty shirts from bornprosper (for a couple people who wanted to see em) PM me if you want better detail on the other shirts.

i7L9E.jpg

nX7w3.jpg

nCVyv.jpg
xnC37.jpg
3eSJ6.jpg

Moobabe

Rio Ferdinand has every right to be apoplectic right now. Footballing reasons now being shown up for what they are: bullshit.

So your brother is allegedly racially abused and you don't get picked for the squad, despite clearly being a better defender than Kelly?

Pretty disgusting actually.

Was Ferdinand on the "reserve" list out of curiosity? Or has actually been passed over for Kelly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom