• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozak

Banned
285646_443945892285311_226866418_n.jpg

motherfuck.

talk about the worst possible signing possible..

Kozak

Banned
I think you're going to be surprised. There are far, far worse players you could sign than Dirk.

I'm sure there are, but in our current status Kuyt is a pretty bad signing.. It doesn't even make sense.

Dirk is pretty much the hardest working and intelligent footballer you could sign.

Sounds like a Galatasaray player..

edit:

I'm sure he'll play great for us but just not the sort of player I envisioned we'd sign. I was thinking more mid 20s.

edit2:

Its also hard to envision where he'll play unless we sell 2-3 players.

GorillaJu

Yeah start of last season he had surgery on his knee, came back and still had problems then eventually when he got over it, he suffered a hip injury. Pretty unlucky. Would love to see him at Liverpool, think he would become a starter in the midfield, probably in the deeper role he's been used at CSKA. His contract must be expiring soon, they might try to cash in. Remember his time at VVV Venlo, he looked very special already.

Sigurdsson joining LFC would be a great signing of course, him and Dempsey looked like the most realistic "great deals" Liverpool could snap from smaller PL clubs and he's better value for money since he's much younger. He'd easily be a starter in the central midfield.

Kaiser Keisuke!

Please, no Dempsey. I love him, truly. He's fantastic for Fulham and a great representative of my country, having broken the record for goals scored in the PL by an American. But he's 29, and he's not going to get the same freedom to shoot at goal every time he has possession for us like he does for Fulham. He wouldn't be shrewd business.

I'd rather we get just Sigurdsson as a forward playmaker, then a wide player who can score goals (Gaston Ramirez or Dries Mertens?) and a striker to give Carroll competition (Damiao or Luuk de Jong?). Also, we'll need a back up for Lucas (Jordy Clasie or Fernando?), if it wasn't obvious already. If we were feeling cheeky, could try to go in for a big name like Belhanda as another playmaker, but one who can play out wide. Could do all that for less than 40m if we play our hand right. Or we could pay 15m for Sigurdsson, 15m for de Jong and be done with the window!

Yen

As I've never installed any games on my new laptop, I now have to download DirectXwhatever to play, Bastion and it seems to be downloading every version and update in the past five year.

Feorax

I'm sad to see Dirk leave, but it was the right time for it to happen. He's been a great servant to the club, extremely had working and dedicated, and leaves us on great terms. Best of luck to you Dirk.

I'm not bothered if we only got €1 million for him, what matters is he was likely on high wages, and having that wiped off the bill will be extremely important this summer.

Yen

I want Sigurdsson, but it's evidently clear that we can get him for £7. I don't want to be held ransom again just because we're Liverpool.

It'll be less than £10m, if we get him. I'd love to have him, but I'm not hopeful especially after last years disastrous transfer window.

PaulLFC

I want Sigurdsson, but it's evidently clear that we can get him for £7. I don't want to be held ransom again just because we're Liverpool.
Yeah if they expect us to pay more than Swansea agreed just because we're Liverpool I'd tell them no thanks and look elsewhere.

They clearly thought Sigurdsson's value was £6.8 million when Swansea bid for him, so he shouldn't magically increase in price just because Liverpool are interested.

It'll be less than £10m, if we get him. I'd love to have him, but I'm not hopeful especially after last years disastrous transfer window.
Different personnel now though. Comolli's gone, for a start.

Kozak

Banned
Is Kuyt a striker or winger?

Interesting transfer.

Wonder if he'll play as a right winger for us? Is he even good at RW?

This is the issue.

If we manage to land Topal and Baroni stays, doesn't that just keep Topuz in RW? Don't imagine Topuz being injured anytime soon. If Sow stays fit I don't see how Kuyt would play striker either.

Just confused at this transfer.

edit:

Also heard rumours of Dia for Amrabat. So that would add extra competition to the wing.

Seconded. I don't want us to become like Sheperd's Newcastle (sorry Toon-GAF) and end up paying hugely over the odds for every player we buy. Sigurdsson, Honda, De Jong, Mertens and even Ramirez are all available for reasonable prices (under £11million). Takeshi Usami is available too since Bayern didn't take up their purchase offer, he'd be a decent shout for a winger. Especially since we're in the Europa League with a load more games this season.

UV-6

This is the issue.

If we manage to land Topal and Baroni stays, doesn't that just keep Topuz in RW? Don't imagine Topuz being injured anytime soon. If Sow stays fit I don't see how Kuyt would play striker either.

Just confused at this transfer.

edit:

Also heard rumours of Dia for Amrabat. So that would add extra competition to the wing.
I think he'll play RW, because if we play a 2 striker system then that would cut out Alex. Alex is integral to how we play so that looks unlikely.

GorillaJu

Saw these text messages that got leaked from the Downing transfer last summer.

Comolli: "Yes, we're looking for ze player, Stewart Downing?"
Villa: "Ah, yeah. He's a good guy. 12 million sound good?"
Comolli: "What eez thees?! He's worth at least 15 million pounds!"
Villa: "Right then.. what would you say, 18?"
Comolli: "A player like him, I'd say 20 million eez much more accurate!"
Villa: "20 it is, then. Pleasure doing business"

immy

Banned
Saw these text messages that got leaked from the Downing transfer last summer.

Comolli: "Yes, we're looking for ze player, Stewart Downing?"
Villa: "Ah, yeah. He's a good guy. 12 million sound good?"
Comolli: "What eez thees?! He's worth at least 15 million pounds!"
Villa: "Right then.. what would you say, 18?"
Comolli: "A player like him, I'd say 20 million eez much more accurate!"
Villa: "20 it is, then. Pleasure doing business"

Why do you not blame Kenny lol.

immy

Banned
It doesn't matter. I really don't care who's "fault" it is, as it doesn't really change anything. It's over and done with and hopefully will never happen again.

But if liverpool aren't a joke team who's gonna provide the entertainment?!!!

Liverpool were great last season!

immy

Banned
Because Kenny tells Comolli what players he wants, Comolli negotiates for them. If the fee we paid is overpriced, that's Comolli's fault.

Yeah but surely we don't know the whole story, part of a negotiation is that there is an plan b. If Kenny only ever wanted those players, surely liverpool were always going to be held to ransom

Yen

Yeah but surely we don't know the whole story, part of a negotiation is that there is an plan b. If Kenny only ever wanted those players, surely liverpool were always going to be held to ransom

Kenny chose the targets, and we ended up buying our second and third choices. It was Comolli's decision to pay over the odds.

Well in, Martin Kelly.

elseanio

Really gutted about Kuyt, but probably is time to move on. He's such a likable guy. Always played tirelessly for however long he was on the field, no matter what the score was

got the new LFC top today. 35 quid in sports direct. Love the fit and feel of it, only the Liverbird has been slightly irritating my skin. Won't be getting a name or number

Slizz

Thought it was the consensus to let Kuyt go from Pool after this season.

Great player, great energy, but just not as effective as he once was. Noticed a lot of errant passes and touches from him this season, maybe he was hurt or something. He sure got up to play United though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom