• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Just caught up on the thread and will echo the sentiments of a few people, Viva in particular. Leaving Ferdinand out was a cowardly decision on Hodgson's part.

TrueBlue

Ferdinand vs Terry statistics this season (excludes trophy wins). These are the footballing reasons Ferdinand was left out :-/

AueQbznCQAAX7XF.jpg:large

terry.jpg

Seriously though, the whole situation is unfortunate. To be honest, it'd probably have been best if they had both stayed at home.

Mastadon

Banned
138 - Liverpool conceded a goal every 138 minutes with Kelly on the pitch in the 11/12 PL, the best rate for any of their players. Stage

elsk

Banned
I sure as hell care lol. Sea como sea, el hoyo negro que tenemos sigue siendo el delantero. No podemos depender de Suazo, sus constantes lesiones y poco tiempo de juego que recibe en Italia han deteriorado completamente esa esperanza goleadora que antes teniamos. Añadamos la falta de respeto y amor a los colores que Costly demuestra al no querer participar en la LINA para mejorar su nivel, y la verdad tengo muy pocas expectativas. El Salvador no es México, Estados Unidos, ni siquiera Costa Rica. Creo que la vamos a pasar muy mal. Pero estoy totalmente de acuerdo, debemos jugar con una punta. Creo que nuestro fútbol no esta listo para el 3-4-3, pero me atrae mucho tu propuesta. 4-2-3-1 creo que es el indicado, considerando las piezas que tenemos.

Sorry English GAF :)

Edit: continued to browse the site, very slick, elsk! Loved the transfer rumor section, had a good lol at the sorry state we're in.
ok I cried

I don't rate Costly, he's shit. He's a lucky player and nothing more. I do trust in David Suazo to score a few goals, unless he gets another injury... I think we're going to do alright in this first few matches.

Haha, thanks man! I'm trying to make something different from the amarillísmo de Diez y otros. I want to make review/opinion articles rather than putting stupid meaningless "news".

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Van Persie's wife wants to stay in London, but visited Torino. "I'd prefer to stay in London, but Torino would be okay. Manchester no."

"RvP, family and agent visited Torino recently- they saw Juventus Stadium, Vinovo, the Juve HQ, and neighborhood of many Juventus players."

Mastadon

Banned
Van Persie's wife wants to stay in London, but visited Torino. "I'd prefer to stay in London, but Torino would be okay. Manchester no."

"RvP, family and agent visited Torino recently- they saw Juventus Stadium, Vinovo, the Juve HQ, and neighborhood of many Juventus players."

Clearly a woman of taste.

He also tweeted Rio saying "don't watch I'll send you a Dench t-shirt...for free".

What a nice chap Frimpong is.

Rio's agent making some kind of comment about this. Stupid, should have left it alone.

spidye

trolololololol
haha

Wes

venison crêpe
Forgetting the obvious, would people be upset if Hodgson wanted Kelly more than Ferdinand because he thought he would be better coming from the bench if needed?

In a round about way I'm trying to start a discussion on do we, as fans, demand picking the "best players" rather than what the manager deems as works best for the team? This is the point I'm quite eager to discuss rather than the whole Ferdinand issue.

bjaelke

I don't know which was worst: our performance yesterday against Australia (lol) or Prometheus. All I know is that I wanted to gouge my eyes out at the end of the evening.

Wilbur

Banned
Forgetting the obvious, would people be upset if Hodgson wanted Kelly more than Ferdinand because he thought he would be better coming from the bench if needed?

In a round about way I'm trying to start a discussion on do we, as fans, demand picking the "best players" rather than what the manager deems as works best for the team? This is the point I'm quite eager to discuss rather than the whole Ferdinand issue.

Do you mean what works best football wise or something else? Obviously having Rio and Terry there might have caused a poisonous attitude, but I think on the basis of this season's performances, Ferdinand and Lescott should have been the first choice centre backs.

Wes

venison crêpe
Do you mean what works best football wise or something else? Obviously having Rio and Terry there might have caused a poisonous attitude, but I think on the basis of this season's performances, Ferdinand and Lescott should have been the first choice centre backs.

Wanting to talk purely on footballing terms.

Would you be annoyed if your club's manager picked player B to start when player A is considered the more talented individual but does not function as well within the tactical framework as the weaker player B.

Wilbur

Banned
Wanting to talk purely on footballing terms.

Would you be annoyed if your club's manager picked player B to start when player A is considered the more talented individual but does not function as well within the tactical framework as the weaker player B.

No, if it works better for the team then I'd be all for it, hence leaving Berba out instead of Hernandez and cases like that.

Fry

Kelly is an exciting young player. That's where England should be putting their cards on.

they also should have Ferdinand and Carrick, but thats not my problem.

Well, you do need to pick the best squad, and the best team, not the 25 best players or the 11 best players.

But in this particular instance I think you'll struggle to make a strong argument for the case that, all the defenders picked ahead of Rio, have been better for the "team". I'm not really sure how Kelly could be a better option coming off the bench, or coming into the side mid-tournament. He has 1 England cap. Of course Kelly is just the next in line, I think Ferdinand had a good case to be amongst the first 4 selected CB's, nevermind not within the first...I dunno, it's 7 or 8 now I think.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

LegoArmo

One of the reasons Hodgson gave for not taking Rio, one of the "footballing reasons", was that he'd only played 1 game for England in the last year (or it might have been 18 months). Kelly has only played 1 game for England, ever.

Wilbur

Banned
"Man changing. Man to stay. Man feeding. Man to praise. Man to dislodge. Man trap. Man to confuse. Man to bail."

What a bad impression of Jaqen H'ghar!

I don't even know what that means :( dammit! The original song I made's video has gone and I have no way of finding it EVER FUCK YOU FRENCH PEOPLE

Mastadon

Banned
One of the reasons Hodgson gave for not taking Rio, one of the "footballing reasons", was that he'd only played 1 game for England in the last year (or it might have been 18 months). Kelly has only played 1 game for England, ever.

What? It's completely different circumstances. Missing the vast majority of England games because of injury is obviously far more concerning to the manager of an injury plagued squad than a player who's at the beginning of his career and simply hasn't been called up yet.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
MÉXICO vs Brasil: Corona; Meza, Moreno, Maza, Torres Nilo; Zavala, Salcido; Barrera, Guardado; Giovani; Chicharito

I'm liking Salcido as a defensive midfielder. Wish Marco Fabián were here so that Gio could move to Barrera's position. :(

Fry

MÉXICO vs Brasil: Corona; Meza, Moreno, Maza, Torres Nilo; Zavala, Salcido; Barrera, Guardado; Giovani; Chicharito

WHAT? I had no idea this game would be on.
awesome!

Brazil XI v Mexico: Rafael, Danilo, Juan, Thiago Silva, Marcelo, Sandro, Rómulo, Óscar, Leandro Damiao, Hulk & Neymar

I don't even know a couple of these players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom