• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

Enjoy E3 guys!

sandrowave88bbl.gif

Sandro is boss. Brazil is sorted on the CMs for a long time.

TeegsD

Next-Gen Series (U-21 CL) groups

Group 1: Barcelona, Tottenham, Olympiakos, Wolfsburg.
Group 2: Man City, Juventus, Paris St-Germain, Fenerbahce.
Group 3: Chelsea, Ajax, CSKA Moscow, Molde eff.
Group 4: Arsenal, Athletic Bilbao, Marseille, Anderlecht.
Group 5: Liverpool, Borussia Dortmund, Inter, Rosenborg.
Group 6: Sporting Lisbon, Celtic, Aston Villa, PSV Eindhoven.

Group 6 is locked up. Nothing to see here.

Clegg

I care for the games that are shown/announced at E3.

The conferences themselves are usually shite though.

I'll browse GAF to see what games are announced but I won't follow the conferences.

Lightning

Banned
Am I the only person who doesn't care for E3 / game conferences in general?
No. I couldn't care less about E3. Roll on the Euros I say!!!!!!!!

All I do is read what was announced and get my ordering schedule together once that happens. I don't follow it or listen or watch any of the conferences.

ATF487

looks like Kuyt is getting £2.2 million a season plus £14,000 in appearance fees per match. Considering the tax relief for professional footballers in turkey (i think it's 10%?) he's making bank.

Heh, so that's why he went to Turkey. I am sort of glad to see him go; extremely hard worker and a real professional, but I could only watch his poor first touch and lack of clinical finishing for so long.

elsk

Banned
Next-Gen Series (U-21 CL) groups

Group 1: Barcelona, Tottenham, Olympiakos, Wolfsburg.
Group 2: Man City, Juventus, Paris St-Germain, Fenerbahce.
Group 3: Chelsea, Ajax, CSKA Moscow, Molde eff.
Group 4: Arsenal, Athletic Bilbao, Marseille, Anderlecht.
Group 5: Liverpool, Borussia Dortmund, Inter, Rosenborg.
Group 6: Sporting Lisbon, Celtic, Aston Villa, PSV Eindhoven.

No Bayern = :(

Clegg

Was on twitter about an hour ago and I stumbled upon some tweets regarding Junior Hoilett. The ignorance of some people astounded me.

They were accusing Hoilett of having no ambition because he's moving to Monchengladbach instead of staying in the PL. They are in the Champions League ffs. How can you accuse him of having no ambition.

Fry

Finished MGS 2 just now. Goddamn that was amazing... Kojima is a genius. MGS 3 is still the king though, can't wait to replay it.

ii4yPvzbuxJxt.gif

elsk

Banned
Was on twitter about an hour ago and I stumbled upon some tweets regarding Junior Hoilett. The ignorance of some people astounded me.

They were accusing Hoilett of having no ambition because he's moving to Monchengladbach instead of staying in the PL. They are in the Champions League ffs. How can you accuse him of having no ambition.

Expected. You can't rate a league if you don't watch it. Favre tactics will make Hoilett look even better, btw.

It is quite surprising that he choose a trip to Germany though rather than staying in the PL. Monchengladbach may be in the CL next season but they are hardly regulars there and have sold Reus which will be a big loss for them. Still though, accusations of no ambition are way off the mark, just a surprising choice.

What options he had in the PL? I read about Liverpool being interested, but tbh Gladbach is a more competitive team than Liverpool, at least for now.

Lightning

Banned

It is quite surprising that he choose a trip to Germany though rather than staying in the PL. Monchengladbach may be in the CL next season but they are hardly regulars there and have sold Reus which will be a big loss for them. Still though, accusations of no ambition are way off the mark, just a surprising choice.

elsk

Banned
Trainingslager_20Nationalmannschaft__26726795__MBQF-1338564852,templateId=renderScaled,property=Bild,height=349.jpg

Löw on the Bayern v Dortmund debate:

The Dortmund players domestically are very very strong. They are rising but on an international level they aren't as tested as the Bayern players.

The Euro Championships is on an another level. We play, with all due respect not against Hoffenheim, Nürnberg and so on. We play against the top 10 teams of the world, against Spain the current World and European Champions. That is the highest level.

http://www.tz-online.de/sport/fc-ba...ung-bayern-erprobter-bvb-talente-2342123.html

Meier

Can't believe E3 pre-shows are breaking GAF.

http://assets.liverpoolfc.tv/uploads/suarez_away_kit.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://assets1.lfcimages.com/images/kit/awaykitassets_nb01062012_boo/4-wakl2012.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://assets1.lfcimages.com/images/kit/awaykitassets_nb01062012_boo/1-wakl2012.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://assets1.lfcimages.com/images/kit/awaykitassets_nb01062012_boo/5-wakl2012.jpg[IMG]

lolkuyt[/QUOTE]

These are two of the absolute worst kits I've ever seen. They are absolutely awful.

Lightning

Banned
The problem with this line of thinking is that the Dortmund players are high on confidence, in form, and have achieved success this season. Bayern on the other hand achieved nothing, no trophies, and put forward their names as huge chokers in pressure situations. The Bayern players are more prone to putting in stellar performances until a semi final/final and then being shite and losing.

So Low better get his selections right otherwise I can see Germany performaning brilliantly only to lose in the semi final/final just like Bayern Munich.

What options he had in the PL? I read about Liverpool being interested, but tbh Gladbach is a more competitive team than Liverpool, at least for now.
There were rumors of Arsenal being interested but I don't think they were genuine so yeah interest in the PL was outside the CL clubs/competition.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
"E3 has no relevance, euros>>getting laid/E3 together, I like gaming but "insert a mundane excuse here, etc."

wtf...there's hipsters in my futbol-GAF!?
well I'll be damned...

Hieberrr

Watching the Canada-US friendly made me realize that these two countries are really far behind in player development. Canada looked shaky and slow out there. We were able to attack more and create some excellent chances in the 2nd half of the game, but there were some things that would piss off any footy fan. The slow passes, the indecisiveness, the over-reliance on long balls and balls in the air... ugh.

The USMNT looked shaky as hell out there too. More confident than the Canadian side, but still barely able to string together anything. They held more possessions and passed the ball much better, but were really bad at advancing the ball. Some nice chances (that should probably have been converted into goals on any other day), but yeah...

Both sides looked really bad when compared to other national teams.

Oh and: Getting laid > Getting laid >>>>> Getting laid >>>>>>>> Footy > E3

EDIT: I also don't know much about Hoilett. How is he?

elsk

Banned
The problem with this line of thinking is that the Dortmund players are high on confidence, in form, and have achieved success this season. Bayern on the other hand achieved nothing, no trophies, and put forward their names as huge chokers in pressure situations. The Bayern players are more prone to putting in stellar performances until a semi final/final and then being shite and losing.

Dortmund players couldn't handle CL group stage, so I disagree. And we failing was more of a coaching doing badly and having this guy as main striker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBDhkrEFGME

Hai gaiz. How goes it. Posting less here because I'm done with uni and spending most of time actually chilling out and away from my laptop and phone!

Not a fan of the new LFC away kit. Would have been okay without the grey bits I reckon. Saw the home shirt in town and it is very very nice. Also saw the Chelsea home and I think it looks better in the pics, it's very shiny in person, a bit too shiny. Also saw a few others, AC Milan and Real Madrid and I didn't really like either. United's is horrible, truly terrible, thought it might be okay in person and when worn but nope it's ghastly.

I'm probably just going to watch the Nintendo E3 conference and gloss over the others.

Started watching Mad Men, it's pretty cool. GoT finale tmrw too, hype.

Threads probably going to be down over the next few days so I guess we'll all regroup for the start of the Euros on Friday.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What's GAFs verdict on the Mexico shirt? Thinking of picking up a green jersey as well and I like it. Besides Germany away, I can't really think of any other nice looking green jerseys.
I love it! But I am biased. In all honesty it's probably ten times better than whatever shit Nike shirt you are thinking of buying right now.
Vaya tela, macho.
El Chicharito es prueba de la abundancia de troncos en Inglaterra. ¡Y yo adoro al güey!

Well guys I guess this is it. See you in a few days when the OT will be up again. I hope E3 won't disappoint. Bomzaldroppenton, I feel it.

I love it! But I am biased. In all honesty it's probably ten times better than whatever shit Nike shirt you are thinking of buying right now.
I honestly think it's the best green jersey out there but I can only think of three others to be honest.

GorillaJu

I actually quite like our away kit. I think it's just that you've all been spoiled by how awesome our home kit is.

Agree that the home kit makes it look worse. I do like it though. Its unique, no question about that.

Lol Neymar is such a dick. <3 Barça but if he moves there he'll fit right in.

What does MexiGaf think of Giovanni Dos Santos? Apparently we might be looking to offload him from Spurs this summer.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What does MexiGaf think of Giovanni Dos Santos? Apparently we might be looking to offload him from Spurs this summer.
His talents are wasted under Redknapp. Dude's been a crack when he's been loaned anywhere else. He almost single-handedly saved Racing de Santander from relegation in 2011.

neoanarch

His talents are wasted under Redknapp. Dude's been a crack when he's been loaned anywhere else. He almost single-handedly saved Racing de Santander from relegation in 2011.

Its his own doing even more that 'Arry's hangups about him. He's been given every opportunity imaginable to break into the first team. He had a chance to move on last summer and he turned it down. He's spoiled his chances by being a fickle diva about it. You can't expect a PL club to coddle a player when you could just bench him or stick him in the reserves.

elsk

Banned
So, we are going to post in the FIFA 13 thread, right?

edit: looks like Nintendo stock is doing very poorly eh?

ibqOmN6KlXHHko.png

bjaelke

Will watch the conferences and see if there's anything interesting, other than that I will just enjoy the meltdowns.

This is what the majority does. The subsequent salt and despair on gaf is delicious.
So, we are going to post in the FIFA 13 thread, right?

Should Off-Topic be taken offline, please refrain from posting any Off-Topic threads in the Gaming Forum (and this includes thinly veiled "HEY GUYZ VIDEO GAMES IN HERE BUT ACTUALLY SPORTS" threads).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Its his own doing even more that 'Arry's hangups about him. He's been given every opportunity imaginable to break into the first team. He had a chance to move on last summer and he turned it down. He's spoiled his chances by being a fickle diva about it. You can't expect a PL club to coddle a player when you could just bench him or stick him in the reserves.
Sevilla was ready to buy him last summer. It was Tottenham's decision at the last minute that made him waste another season at London. They refused to sell him for fuck knows whatever reason.

neoanarch

Sevilla was ready to buy him last summer. It was Tottenham's decision at the last minute that made him waste another season at London. They refused to sell him for fuck knows whatever reason.

Because Sevilla was lowballing Tottenham by 10 million. Udinese offered 13 million while the Sevilla bid was less than half that. Thats just bad business. Also guess which one of the two is in the CL for 12/13?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Because Sevilla was lowballing Tottenham by 10 million. Udinese offered 13 million while the Sevilla bid was less than half that. Thats just bad business. Also guess which one of the two is in the CL for 12/13?
You are not going to pay even five million for a player you've benched for years regardless of how much you paid Barcelona for him. Tottenham is mental, and Udinese too for even offering that kinda money.

In hindsight I agree Gio should have taken the Udinese offer. I think his fixation on going back to Spain has been his biggest sin regarding this melodrama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom