• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
Mertresacker is not a bad player. He reads the game exceptionally well and has fantastic positioning. His speed can be an issue but I wish every Arsenal defender had his footballing brain.

Maybe, but they can use Badstuber who is an improved younger version of Merte. Using both together would be a suicide, just like using Badstuber and van Buyten was.

Badstuber + Hummels is the best option for the Germany NT. Both are Bayern youth products :)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Next-Gen Series (U-21 CL) groups

Group 1: Barcelona, Tottenham, Olympiakos, Wolfsburg.
Group 2: Man City, Juventus, Paris St-Germain, Fenerbahce.
Group 3: Chelsea, Ajax, CSKA Moscow, Molde eff.
Group 4: Arsenal, Athletic Bilbao, Marseille, Anderlecht.
Group 5: Liverpool, Borussia Dortmund, Inter, Rosenborg.
Group 6: Sporting Lisbon, Celtic, Aston Villa, PSV Eindhoven.

Oh great, City AND PSG.

bjaelke said:
Should Off-Topic be taken offline, please refrain from posting any Off-Topic threads in the Gaming Forum (and this includes thinly veiled "HEY GUYZ VIDEO GAMES IN HERE BUT ACTUALLY SPORTS" threads).

A few of us are on twitter now so it'll be fine.

Edit: Oh god someone is tweeting about GoT's finale! STOPP

neoanarch

You are not going to pay even five million for a player you've benched for years regardless of how much you paid Barcelona for him. Tottenham is mental, and Udinese too for even offering that kinda money.

In hindsight I agree Gio should have taken the Udinese offer. I think his fixation on going back to Spain has been his biggest sin regarding this melodrama.

He was coming off a really successful stint with Racing Club in Spain. Look at the market last year and the quality of player going for the same amount. Udinese was not highballing at all.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Agree that the home kit makes it look worse. I do like it though. Its unique, no question about that.

Lol Neymar is such a dick. <3 Barça but if he moves there he'll fit right in.

What does MexiGaf think of Giovanni Dos Santos? Apparently we might be looking to offload him from Spurs this summer

whoever of the la liga giants get neymar, any top 3rd-5th la liga team should buy Mexico's RB severo meza to own his ass all over again.

as for Gio...can't really anything about the guy other than he better accept any offer from any good euro club that would give him a starting role or play to earn his spot in the starting eleven til he gets it.

neoanarch

whoever of the la liga giants get neymar, any top 3rd-5th la liga team should buy Mexico's RB severo meza to own his ass all over again.

as for Gio...can't really anything about the guy other than he better accept any offer from any good euro club that would give him a starting role or play to earn his spot in the starting eleven til he gets it.

Diego Reyes also had him pretty well contained last year when Club America was in the Libertadores.

Nice pass. Fantastic finish.

Something that became glaringly obvious during the Mex v Brz match. Mexico is terrible at counterattacking football.

Mertresacker is not a bad player. He reads the game exceptionally well and has fantastic positioning. His speed can be an issue but I wish every Arsenal defender had his footballing brain.

He hasn't played for months, though, and it definately shows. And then you have Mats Hummels on the bench, enough said.

It's a joke anyway. Against Switzerland, Mertesacker was a mess and all three other defenders are benched now and no option for the starting eleven (maybe Hummels if we're lucky, I know lol, no chance...) because they weren't good enough. Then Löw plays Mertesacker again and Boateng against Israel who didn't attack like at all. And now Boateng>every other fake RB/LB and Mertesacker>Hummels.

Messi

Footy gaf constraining itself to only talk about the thread title. Is such a thing even possible?

jCa9I.gif

I would hate it if it was.

Where is Fady these days, this place is not the same without him.

Lightning

Banned
He hasn't played for months, though, and it definately shows. And then you have Mats Hummels on the bench, enough said.

It's a joke anyway. Against Switzerland, Mertesacker was a mess and all three other defenders are benched now and no option for the starting eleven (maybe Hummels if we're lucky, I know lol, no chance...) because they weren't good enough. Then Löw plays Mertesacker again and Boateng against Israel who didn't attack like at all. And now Boateng>every other fake RB/LB and Mertesacker>Hummels.
Low is clearly trying to give Mertesacker some time to get his fitness together. It's not like those games are Euro knockout games and clearly wants to get his players some game time which Mertesacker would have got at Arsenal had he not got injured. Hummels has had plenty of games and is already fit. He is an excellent defender as well.

His fitness levels can justifiably be questioned but his ability cannot imo. He done well for Arsenal this season in adjusting to the pace of the PL and stupid schedules of games and got better and better as the season went on. i expect him to be even better for us next season.

dc89

Well I guess it's a given that football GAF and the other OT areas will be took down soon for E3. GAF crashed cause of Nintendo Direct.

bjaelke

Next-Gen Series (U-21 CL) groups

Group 1: Barcelona, Tottenham, Olympiakos, Wolfsburg.
Group 2: Man City, Juventus, Paris St-Germain, Fenerbahce.
Group 3: Chelsea, Ajax, CSKA Moscow, Molde eff.
Group 4: Arsenal, Athletic Bilbao, Marseille, Anderlecht.
Group 5: Liverpool, Borussia Dortmund, Inter, Rosenborg.
Group 6: Sporting Lisbon, Celtic, Aston Villa, PSV Eindhoven.
https://twitter.com/NextGenSeries/status/209549745998397440

Next Gen Series is the football league version of Sony.

Kozak

Banned
Bad news Real fans, looks like negotiations between Madrid and Galatasaray over Hamit Altintop aren't going too well.

Messi

...is Messi seriously gonna replace his Olivia Wilde's gifs with Lia's? :I

tumblr_lo3q9nP8Lp1qfdjd0.gif

I have no idea who that girl is, it just fitted my needs. It will always be Olivia Wilde don't worry.

--

Did any of you guys watch this documentary about Messi on BBC? Its 45 mins long and features a fair few players talking about him and great footage. Great way to kill an hour learning about Messi

Messi The Worlds Greatest BBC

dc89

There is a note up at the top of the screen about it.

Yup. I'm just saying its a given haha.

Why did I just go In the game of thrones thread. Seriously. Do. Not. Do. That. If. You. Are. Like. Me. And. Have. Not. Seen. The. Last. Episode.

Messi

Why did I just go In the game of thrones thread. Seriously. Do. Not. Do. That. If. You. Are. Like. Me. And. Have. Not. Seen. The. Last. Episode.

23cFh.gif

Whhhhy would you do that? Rookie mistake.

neoanarch

You should just read the books. No way you last another 4 years without being spoiled.

neoanarch

Does the book contain illustrations?

No but I just read some of the spoilers. Beyond disappointed where the second season went.

Back to footie

Copa Argentina Final

Boca Juniors vs Racing Club. River plate lost on penalties. They were so close to getting a clasico in the final.

bjaelke

No but I just read some of the spoilers. Beyond disappointed where the second season went.

There was an alarming lack of
incest
scenes in season 2 - I haven't watched the final yet, but I doubt it will change my overall perception. Will be starting on the books next week when I have more time on my hands.

Oxx

It's okay, nothing is going to happen in the world of football anyway.

I'm more worried about losing avatars. I don't recognise y'all by name.

dc89

Anyone want to be a gent and embed those pictures. Cause I can't be bothered right now.

Also Bellamy has confirmed he is one of the three overage players asked to play for Team GB.

Wilbur

Banned
It's okay, nothing is going to happen in the world of football anyway.

I'm more worried about losing avatars. I don't recognise y'all by name.

If its about dicks, it's me or WoodenLung. If its someone speaking in colloquialisms, it's Hixx. If its someone masturbating over having a majority control over something, it's Meus. If its a picture of what Stefan Savic had for lunch, it's DC. If its anyone referring to a garment of clothing as naughty, it's Arnie. If its anyone talking sense, it's Viva. If its someone with a cock-nose, it's Kyle. If its hating on Bayern/Dortmund its Phantask/elsk. If its Irish woe and tears its Clegg. If its a load of hyperbolic shit it's Kyoufu. If its anyone talking about Assassin's Creed, Hitman, or any sort of contract killer related thing, it's Manager. If its a Korean girl, its Salazar. If its masterful trolling, it's Lunchbox. If its someone injured, it's doicare. If its green at the top, it's you.

Oxx

If its about dicks, it's me or WoodenLung. If its someone speaking in colloquialisms, it's Hixx. If its someone masturbating over having a majority control over something, it's Meus. If its a picture of what Stefan Savic had for lunch, it's DC. If its anyone referring to a garment of clothing as naughty, it's Arnie. If its anyone talking sense, it's Viva. If its someone with a cock-nose, it's Kyle. If its hating on Bayern/Dortmund its Phantask/elsk. If its Irish woe and tears its Clegg. If its a load of hyperbolic shit it's Kyoufu. If its anyone talking about Assassin's Creed, Hitman, or any sort of contract killer related thing, it's Manager. If its a Korean girl, its Salazar. If its masterful trolling, it's Lunchbox. If its someone injured, it's doicare. If its green at the top, it's you.

Thanks, lunchbox.

For those that don't know much about Hoilett he's fast, can finish and play on either wing or in the hole.

He was at loan at st Pauli for 3 years or so and loved Germany so no surprise he wants to go back

Salazar

Is Barton's shirt off in the second pic?

Oui. And there is what looks like blood on somebody's arm.

Banned paper says two young lads had a pop at him. It remains unclear who (if anybody, definitively speaking) started it.

They also supply and update the Joey Barton File

1982: Born Huyton, Merseyside, September 2.
2003: April - Makes Manchester City debut in a 2-0 defeat at Bolton.
2004: February - Sent off at half-time in an FA Cup tie at Tottenham with his team 3-0 down. City go on to win 4-3.
April - Storms out of Eastlands before kick-off after being dropped from the side to face Southampton.
July - Criticised by manager Kevin Keegan for causing a mass brawl in a pre-season friendly at Doncaster.
December - Stubs lit cigar in the eye of young team-mate Jamie Tandy during City's Christmas party. Fined six weeks' wages by the club. Forced to pay four weeks' salary - approximately £60,000 - immediately, with a further two weeks suspended for a year. Tandy later sued Barton, winning £65,000 in damages.
2005: May - Barton breaks leg of 35-year-old pedestrian while driving his car at 2am in Liverpool city centre.
July 22 - Involved in an altercation with a 15-year-old Everton fan at City's team hotel in Bangkok, where the team are playing in the FA Premier League Trophy.
July 27 - Fined eight weeks' wages by City after being found guilty of gross misconduct in the Bangkok incident. Agrees to undertake a programme of rehabilitation.
2006: January 30 - Hands in a transfer request, which is rejected.
September 30 - Drops his shorts in direction of Everton fans following City's 1-1 draw at Goodison Park. Later charged by the Football Association over the incident and fined £2,000.
2007: February 7 - Makes senior England debut as a 78th-minute substitute against Spain.
May 1 - Suspended by City for the rest of the season after training-ground altercation with Ousmane Dabo.
June 14 - Completes £5.8million move to Newcastle.
August 2 - Charged with assault over Dabo incident.
October 4 - Appears in court charged with Dabo assault. Indicates he will plead not guilty.
October 22 - Makes Newcastle debut in 3-1 victory over Tottenham.
December 1 - Causes controversy by describing the St James' Park crowd as 'vicious'.
December 27 - Arrested in Liverpool city centre.
December 28 - Charged with common assault and affray and refused bail.
2008: January 3 - Released from custody after being granted bail.
May 20 - Admits assault and affray and is jailed for six months at Liverpool Crown Court.
July 1 - Receives four-month suspended sentence for assaulting Dabo.
July 28 - Released from prison.
July 31 - The FA charge Barton with violent conduct over the Dabo incident.
August 30 - Returns as a substitute for Newcastle away to Arsenal.
September 5 - Banned by the FA for 12 matches - six of which are suspended - and fined £25,000 after admitting violent conduct charge in relation to Dabo incident.
2009: May 3 - Sent off against Liverpool for late challenge on Xabi Alonso.
May 5 - Suspended until further notice by Newcastle.
November 11 - Charged with violent conduct by FA after allegedly punching Blackburn's Morten Gamst Pedersen during a league match.
2011: August 1 - Newcastle transfer-list Barton after a series of Twitter comments criticising the club, making him available on a free transfer.
August 26 - Signs for QPR on a four-year deal and is made club captain.
September 17 - Scores first QPR goal, but is also involved in a confrontation with Karl Henry, whom he later criticises on Twitter.
2012: January 2 - Receives first red card for Rangers for butting Norwich's Bradley Johnson.
March 21 - Booed by QPR fans after a poor performance against Liverpool. Criticises his treatment on Twitter.
May 13 - Dismissed for striking Manchester City's Carlos Tevez on final day of season. He goes on to knee Sergio Aguero from behind, thrust his head toward Vincent Kompany and is restrained when attempting to confront Mario Balotelli.
May 14 - Charged with two acts of violent conduct by the Football Association following his actions against Manchester City.
May 16 - QPR announce an investigation into Barton's conduct in the game against City.
May 23 - FA announce an independent regulatory commission found Barton guilty of both violent conduct charges, resulting in a ban of 12 games and a fine of £75,000.
June 5 - Punched in the face after being involved in an altercation with two men outside a nightclub in Liverpool city centre.

tl;dr - twat.

immy

Banned
How can I improve this fantasy football squad?

&#268;ech Goalkeeper 5.0 5.0 5.0 RUS 08/06
Szcz&#281;sny Goalkeeper 5.0 5.0 5.0 GRE 08/06
Jordi Alba Defender 6.5 6.5 6.5 ITA 10/06
Debuchy Defender 5.5 5.5 5.5 ENG 11/06
M. Olsson Defender 4.0 4.0 4.0 UKR 11/06
Zhirkov Defender 6.0 6.0 6.0 CZE 08/06
Maniatis Defender 4.0 4.0 4.0 POL 08/06
Iniesta Midfielder 9.5 9.5 9.5 ITA 10/06
Pirlo Midfielder 8.0 8.0 8.0 ESP 10/06
Ribéry Midfielder 9.5 9.5 9.5 ENG 11/06
Shirokov Midfielder 6.0 6.0 6.0 CZE 08/06
Özil Midfielder 10.0 10.0 10.0 POR 09/06
Ibrahimovi&#263; Forward 8.0 8.0 8.0 UKR 11/06
Lewandowski Forward 8.0 8.0 8.0 GRE 08/06
Jelavi&#263; Forward 5.0 5.0 5.0 IRL 10/06

Don't know what to do in defence?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
RVP “Juventus are a great team, but I have agreed with Arsenal that I will not discuss my future.”

“All I can say is that it is my intention to have a great Euro 2012 and win it. I also want to continue playing in the Champions League.”

This is Aguero all over again.

fuenf

How can I improve this fantasy football squad?

&#268;ech Goalkeeper 5.0 5.0 5.0 RUS 08/06
Szcz&#281;sny Goalkeeper 5.0 5.0 5.0 GRE 08/06
Jordi Alba Defender 6.5 6.5 6.5 ITA 10/06
Debuchy Defender 5.5 5.5 5.5 ENG 11/06
M. Olsson Defender 4.0 4.0 4.0 UKR 11/06
Zhirkov Defender 6.0 6.0 6.0 CZE 08/06
Maniatis Defender 4.0 4.0 4.0 POL 08/06
Iniesta Midfielder 9.5 9.5 9.5 ITA 10/06
Pirlo Midfielder 8.0 8.0 8.0 ESP 10/06
Ribéry Midfielder 9.5 9.5 9.5 ENG 11/06
Shirokov Midfielder 6.0 6.0 6.0 CZE 08/06
Özil Midfielder 10.0 10.0 10.0 POR 09/06
Ibrahimovi&#263; Forward 8.0 8.0 8.0 UKR 11/06
Lewandowski Forward 8.0 8.0 8.0 GRE 08/06
Jelavi&#263; Forward 5.0 5.0 5.0 IRL 10/06

Don't know what to do in defence?

You could use the Cech's backup instead of Szceszny to free up a some money. I think in defense you are on the right track, the starting formation should (if possible) only include 2 wingbacks as defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom