• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

Barca are totally keeping Afellay.Why sell him?

Because he'll have no chance of displaying constant first team football at the age of 26, when hes supposed to be on his prime?

Coming back of a serious injury will have him over thinking his future at Barca too, I'm sure.

RVP is terrible.

Injury prone overrated chancer.

He's had one good season in his entire career and people think he's brilliant.

Just like Sneijder.

The real talent in that dutch team is Robben.

Wilbur

Banned
Huntelaar doesn't hold up the ball very well. RVP is deadly in front of goal but I think van Marwijk wants him in especially because he can lay off the ball for Sneijder, Robben and Affelay to run onto as well as shoot himself.

Makes sense I suppose, but RvP's playing shit today. I'd get van der Vaart to do RvP's job and get Huntelaar on as well.

Yeah! Who's who?

Nope :( I need to buy a new one, the charge cable for my wireless has died.

Well, the second match is more or less even. But the first one is a bit lopsided. I'll be Denmark if I can pick who I can be in the second match. I don't know which team I'd rather be (probably Germany).

GorillaJu

Meh. I think Robben, RvP and Sneidjer are all immense talents but I don't really care to argue it.

My favorite Dutch player is retired now, anyway (Van Bronckhorst)

I think Affelay will get plenty of games at Barca. They have Messi, Villa, Pedro, Sanchez, Ibi, Tello and Cuenca for those 3 forwards positions. 7 players, they play 60 games a season, their squad is already stretched as it is. Tello and Cuenca are still very young and raw, Barca can't rely on them. The rest are in heathy competition.

I can only see Afellay leaving if he wants to leave in search of football every week and I don't think he will. He hasn't had a proper chance at Barca yet and has time ahead of him in his career. I don't see Barca wanting to ditch him either.

Clegg

Players like RVP and Sneijder are phenomenally talented but are terribly injury prone and inconsistent.

I don't think they can be called truly great because of that.

Lightning

Banned
RVP is terrible.

Injury prone overrated chancer.

He's had one good season in his entire career and people think he's brilliant.

Just like Sneijder.
Oh fuck off. So RVP has a bad game and all of a sudden he's not that good and overrated? He didnt just have a good season but almost single handedly kept Arsenal in the champions league and the reason we finished 3rd. That makes class, talent and skill. Not injury prone overrated...

I can recall Rooney's performances last world cup. Guess he's overrated as well...

K1LLER7

Denmark have so much time on the ball in the middle, nobody looks to press. Holland do this against germany and Portugal, and they could be out.

Sneijder has been great today IMO.

I think the discussion about RVP is valid. He's 28 and has had 15 months of his career as a top class players. He's been unfortunate with injuries for the rest but that's tough. Not saying he isn't a great player because right now he is, but over his career this hasn't been the norm.

Wilbur

Banned
Sneijder has been great today IMO.

I think the discussion about RVP is valid. He's 28 and has had 15 months of his career as a top class players. He's been unfortunate with injuries for the rest but that's tough. Not saying he isn't a great player because right now he is, but over his career this hasn't been the norm.

Yeah Sneijder's been good in this match, but his only great season has been under Mourinho

elseanio

Oh fuck off. So RVP has a bad game and all of a sudden he's not that good and overrated? He didnt just have a good season but almost single handedly kept Arsenal in the champions league and the reason we finished 3rd. That makes class, talent and skill. Not injury prone overrated...

I can recall Rooney's performances last world cup. Guess he's overrated as well...

This game doesn't prove he's injury prone, his previous 10 seasons in club football do

Well, Rooney IS over-rated IMO. But he's had a much more consistent career than RVP and I don't even think Rooney is particularly consistent.

Wilbur

Banned

Rooney's had 3 or 4 great seasons at club level. He's definitely overrated but he and RvP joined United/Arsenal at around the same time. Only one of them's had more than one good season

Hixx

Yep. Intermittently shown it throughout his career but only had one good season

Directly involved in 29 goals the season before last, 33 apps. 35 in 44 in 2008/2009, 14 in 23 the year before that. Hardly a one season wonder... apart from his first 2 seasons with Arsenal he has contributed massively.

Clegg

Sneijder has been a very good player over the course of his career. He was hyped up, with good reason, when he was with Ajax. He was decent with Madrid but he only really shone when Mourinho was his manager at Inter.

He's still an absolutely brilliant player but he's another player that has been plagued with injury and inconsistency. He hasn't had the consistency to be ranked amongst the greats of his generation.

Lightning

Banned
This game doesn't prove he's injury prone, his previous 10 seasons in club football do
I am not talking about his injury record I'm talking about his ability in front of goal. I know he is injury prone but people need to remember that RVP was not always an out and out striker like Wenger turned him into but infront of goal RVP is a beast and very skilled. This is undeniable.

Salvadora

Directly involved in 29 goals the season before last, 33 apps. 35 in 44 in 2008/2009, 14 in 23 the year before that. Hardly a one season wonder... apart from his first 2 seasons with Arsenal he has contributed massively.

Exactly. Don't know what the fuck people are talking about in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom