• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

I've been disappointed by this Irish performance.

Some may laugh but we were actually very good in defence during the qualifiers for the Euros.

Were terrible in attack but I thought our defence would have held up better than this.

Wilbur

Banned

Some may laugh but we were actually very good in defence during the qualifiers for the Euros.

Were terrible in attack but I thought our defence would have held up better than this.

It's odd because I'd say your strikers are quite good. Keane, Doyle, Long and Walters can give people a game. Keeper's good, wingers are good. It's your centre midfield that is far too easy to bypass.

I think that whole qualifying group was offensively inept. False hope. Russia only let in 4 goals but I knew our defense was shit.

Clegg

I think that whole qualifying group was offensively inept. False hope. Russia only let in 4 goals but I knew our defense was shit.

Maybe, but we conceded 2 goals through sloppy defending at set pieces.

We didn't look this bad at dealing with crosses during the qualifying stages.

wut_35ifgg.gif

I feel you :(

Clegg

<Ireland having a good defense>
Croatian manager: "bla bla bla, talk is cheap"

I do believe you though/see where you're coming from, I even bet on 1-0 for Ireland.

Sad :(

:facepalm

Thats a rather blindingly obvious gif. My brain wasn't engaged

I think I'll be using this quite a lot while Ireland play.

wut_2cjd3a.gif

PaulLFC

:facepalm

Thats a rather blindingly obvious gif. My brain wasn't engaged

I think I'll be using this quite a lot while Ireland play.

http://www.abload.de/img/wut_2cjd3a.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I hope they score so I can use this again:

[img]http://cjzero.com/gifs/IrishGirl.gif

Wilbur

Banned
So back to ye olde footy thread. I wish some of the cool guys from the other thread came in here during the season, I like hearing about foreign leagues and stuff.

Short interview with Christian Eriksen on Vertonghen

Vertonghen will be a brilliant signing for Tottenham said:
Greg Stobart
Based in Kharkiv

Ajax playmaker Christian Eriksen is confident Jan Vertonghen will be a &#8216;brilliant signing&#8217; for Tottenham and says the defender has outgrown the Dutch league.

Vertonghen, the Ajax captain, is expected to move to Spurs this summer although the two clubs are yet to reach an agreement on a transfer fee. The 24-year-old has one year left on his Ajax contract and has urged the club to lower their &#8364;15 million (£12m) valuation, with all parties confident that the transfer will be completed. Eriksen, who is currently playing for Denmark at Euro 2012, feels Vertonghen will be an excellent addition for Spurs and will have no problem adapting to the Premier League.

&#8220;He is a brilliant signing for Tottenham and a really, really good player,&#8221; Eriksen told Goal.com. &#8220;He is too good for the Dutch league now. It&#8217;s too easy for him and it&#8217;s the right time for him to leave. He is the best player in Holland and has all the skills that will make him a success in the Premier League. He is good with and without the ball, he is physically strong and he&#8217;s a leader for the team. From what I see, Tottenham like to play good football so I think he will be a perfect signing for them. I know there was interest from other clubs but he made up his mind. I&#8217;m sad to see him leave Ajax but it&#8217;s a good transfer for him.&#8221;

Clegg

If Ireland had any decent CMs we'd be an ok team. Not good, but better than we are now.

We have good wingers and our strikers can make a nuisance of themselves. But our midfield our Whelan and Andrews is just awful. They can't pass and aren't able to press the opposition midfield.

What I would give for Roy Keane is his prime.

Wilbur

Banned
If Ireland had any decent CMs we'd be an ok team. Not good, but better than we are now.

We have good wingers and our strikers can make a nuisance of themselves. But our midfield our Whelan and Andrews is just awful. They can't pass and aren't able to press the opposition midfield.

What I would give for Roy Keane is his prime.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. Great keeper, good wingers and strikers, pretty good defence, awful centre midfield - which is becoming the most important part of the game.

Clegg

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. Great keeper, good wingers and strikers, pretty good defence, awful centre midfield - which is becoming the most important part of the game.

Given is looking a bit dodgy imo.

He's still a good keeper but over the last 18 months he's picked up a few injuries. He looks a bit slower in reflex.

Wilbur

Banned
Given is looking a bit dodgy imo.

He's still a good keeper but over the last 18 months he's picked up a few injuries. He looks a bit slower in reflex.

That's true. Still better than anyone else you have out there. Paddy Kenny? Nah brav.

I loved Given at Newcastle, was always one of my favourite players. Saw him in an Intertoto match a few years back against... someone. Was awesome.

Clegg

Croatia were much better than us and deserved the win.

But we were robbed out of a penalty.

It was one of the most blindingly obvious decisions to give but the ref just turned away.

Thats the only gripe I have from the game.

Wilbur

Banned
Jeez who pissed in your cereal, people say that sort of thing all the time.

Xavi talks bollocks all the time. Every time Spain or Barca don't win, "meh meh true football, real football, only one team played, deserve, possession". He's a great player, he doesn't have to run his fucking mouth. Any other Spanish or Italian players saying the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom