• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds like me :O

I was good on the wing, putting crosses in and could take shots from really far out but was never a clinical finisher.

:lol :lol

I'm pretty fast but I'm only about 5'9". I guess my strength is my vision and accuracy with passing. I'm not a bad finisher either.

Basically, I'm better than Iniesta.
The fact I can move at some pace is the only reason I beat people, I couldn't dance round somebody with a ball if I tried. But I always make a big spirited run in to the box, burning out people as I go, only to make a howling shot at the end :lol. Where's the glory?!

I can play pretty decent with my left foot though, so that's handy. Really, the things the guys I play with compliment me on is my speed but mainly that they can "never get past me". So I fancy myself as a defender.

I should note though, the guys I play with aren't exactly world class :lol

elsk

Banned
I always played as CB in school, but after watching so much football I think I would like to try me as DM. I haven't played in like 4 years tho :(

PaulLFC

How cool would it be if we had a Footy-GAF meet up over a 5 a side game.

No doubt Wilbury would be picked last.
That would be great, but probably difficult to organise sadly with people living in different places.

Although if it did happen, bagsy going in goal.

I quit at the age of 7 because I didn't like all the running. I ended up playing Am. Football, Hockey, and Lacrosse in High School and if I had to guess I probably would have been a centerback. I'm 6'2" strong, and slightly above average speed. At least when I'm in shape. When passing around with friends my foot skills aren't terrible, and I can put some good corners into the box, and put some good curve on my shots. I'll probably try to get into a 7-a-side or 5-a-side league once I move.

Wilbur

Banned
How cool would it be if we had a Footy-GAF meet up over a 5 a side game.

No doubt Wilbury would be picked last.

I was trying to think of a witty retort and then just resigned myself to it.

I'm a good defender, can stick to the ball and get a tackle in. Not afraid to slide in, I'm a good passer and pretty composed on the ball. Lost a little fitness since I've put weight on though... and fuck shooting.

That would be great, but probably difficult to organise sadly with people living in different places.

Although if it did happen, bagsy going in goal.
Bagsy going in goal? Strange.

I am a RM/CM. I've been lucky enough to play in a great team over the last 2 years and we've won back to back titles and promotions. It makes a big difference when you play with people who play in a similar style to you and regularly. I'd say my best traits are dribbling and passing, and I've got quite good fitness too so I can run around and press the ball alot. My shooting is a joke though. In all aspects of football, even on FIFA...even on damn FM my strikers can't shoot for shit. I'm cursed.

A couple of the guys in the team I play with are just ridiculously good. One of them used to play for Blackburn's youth sides and the other one regularly wins best player of the tournament awards at 5-a-side tournaments in Manchester. I wish I could be that good, some people really make it look so easy...

Wilbur

Banned
also:

This is a bad idea for obvious reasons.

Is Wilbury even allowed near a playground?

He has an ankle tag. It's okay.

Clegg and Wilbury would end off sneaking to the changing rooms together

UsiJl.gif

Wilbur

Banned
You could all form a team and play on the other side of the fence at my penitentiary, and I'd cheer you on and grab Quiche when he came near to the fence.

Linius

That was a fast night. It's already 4:30 in the morning over here, time to do a paper round. After finally catch some sleep till 11:30 or something. Love the holidays.

Wilbur

Banned
That was a fast night. It's already 4:30 in the morning over here, time to do a paper round. After finally catch some sleep till 11:30 or something. Love the holidays.

4:30 for the paper round?! Fuck me.

So glad I got today and tomorrow off work... I'd have to run up and down stairs grabbing boxes, I'd have started crying by half 12.

Listen to us all talk about how good we are at football. It's as well we can't meet up to play. We'd only be shown up for the out of shape charlatans that we are :lol

I believe the word is accomplice.

Clegg: 'I suppose they're going to lock me up, as your accomplice'

Wilbury: 'Accomplice? I'm going to tell them the whole thing was your idea'

Fin

Clegg and Wilbury will be back in - 'The Adventures of Clegg and Wilbury 2: Electric Boogaloo'.

And on that bombshell I'm off to bed.

Linius

Fucks up sleep patterns, I hate that.
That's true. But I'm going to work more often now, so I'll have to go to bed at normal hours the rest of the week. Other wise I can't put up :p

4:30 for the paper round?! Fuck me.

So glad I got today and tomorrow off work... I'd have to run up and down stairs grabbing boxes, I'd have started crying by half 12.

When I'm sleeping I get up at five. But when I'm pulling no life all nighters with music and internet I do my paper round early so I can go to bed at 5:30.

Wilbur

Banned
Clegg: 'I suppose they're going to lock me up, as your accomplice'

Wilbury: 'Accomplice? I'm going to tell them the whole thing was your idea'

Fin

Clegg and Wilbury will be back in - 'The Adventures of Clegg and Wilbury 2: Electric Boogaloo'.

And on that bombshell I'm off to bed.

It sounds shit. Good night.

You're such a bitch. I bet you already cry at your job daily.

I fucking hate work. It's just so deathly dull. I'd almost rather be poor.

Oh man that's beautiful.

I fucking love playing football, I need to do it more often :( I wonder who's the best on Gaf...

Do you even need to ask? It's obviously Kermit.

I'm ok now but I used to be really good. I'd probably still rip you all to pieces with my lightning pace and incredible skill
on Fifa
. I was always the smallest person in my age group anyway, but I got good by playing with people 2-3 years older than me. Honestly I think this is way to develop a good footballing brain. From a young age you accept that you don't have the physical attribute of the players around you and you're forced to become smarter in the way you play. I always played on the left wing when I was right footed as well. I use both feet equally now, but I do favour certain things with each, e.g. I dribble, pass and volley with my left, but shoot and cross with my right.

It's sad but even today my dream is still to become a professional footballer. Obviously it's impossible and I do fuck all to pursue it anyway, but it's still my dream :(

Wilbur

Banned
Do you even need to ask? It's obviously Kermit.

I'm ok now but I used to be really good. I'd probably still rip you all to pieces with my lightning pace and incredible skill
on Fifa
. I was always the smallest person in my age group anyway, but I got good by playing with people 2-3 years older than me. Honestly I think this is way to develop a good footballing brain. From a young age you accept that you don't have the physical attribute of the players around you and you're forced to become smarter in the way you play. I always played on the left wing when I was right footed as well. I use both feet equally now, but I do favour certain things with each, e.g. I dribble, pass and volley with my left, but shoot and cross with my right.

It's sad but even today my dream is still to become a professional footballer. Obviously it's impossible and I do fuck all to pursue it anyway, but it's still my dream :(

Yeah everyone on my team was bigger and stronger than me but I used to put myself around and I was very adept at nicking the ball off of players. I used to play left back but for the school I got moved up into defensive midfield. Didn't really have the energy to run around all day but I was a good reader of the ball. Even as a kid, like you say when you're not physically as good you adapt. There was this kid who was lightning fast and he always used to play with the other class and he used to just bomb down the wing and shoot across goal and score, and then we started playing with them and mixed the groups a little. I marked him out of a game every day for a week and eventually I got switched onto the cool guy's team.

My greatest moment of all time.

And now I'm shit again. Haven't properly played football in a while, fuckin' uni

Wilbur

Banned
I think I'd enjoy playing CDM more than any other position.

Yeah it's awesome. At my level, so you know, teenagers kicking around a park when tactics don't matter, it's great. Lot of wing play so you just position yourself well and then intercept or read where the ball's being crossed to and either get in there and do it yourself or make yourself available for a breakaway. I used to be pretty good at long balls over the top.

Clegg

I think DM is probably one of the hardest positions to play on the pitch. You have to read how the opposition is attacking and do your best to snuff it out with a well timed tackle or interception.

You have to be physically strong and fit enough to do this for 90 mins without stop. But winning the ball isn't enough for a DM. You also need the footballing brain and vision to see a potential counterattacking threat and then the proper technique to actually pass the ball.

Thats why I have such respect for players like Alonso, De Rossi, Busquets.

Wilbur

Banned
I think DM is probably one of the hardest positions to play on the pitch. You have to read how the opposition is attacking and do your best to snuff it out with a well timed tackle or interception.

You have to be physically strong and fit enough to do this for 90 mins without stop. But winning the ball isn't enough for a DM. You also need the footballing brain and vision to see a potential counterattacking threat and then the proper technique to actually pass the ball.

I assume it would be much harder in a real match, but I love it just running around the park.

Clegg

I assume it would be much harder in a real match, but I love it just running around the park.

If you're just having a kick about then playing DM would be great fun. You could put yourself about and make tackles and bomb forward through the midfield when you have the ball.

But at the highest level a lot of positional discipline is required to play the role of DM.

That's where my strengths lied when I played sports. Always played defense, and in lacrosse I play a defensive midfield role. I'd go out there and mark the best player on the field. Also, I'd say vision was my best strength. I could always see the space, and predict the ball movement. Being able to read off-ball movement is so crucial in just about every sport. But, like I said, I never played footy growing up unfortunately.

Clegg

That's where my strengths lied when I played sports. Always played defense, and in lacrosse I play a defensive midfield role. I'd go out there and mark the best player on the field. Also, I'd say vision was my best strength. I could always see the space, and predict the ball movement. Being able to read off-ball movement is so crucial in just about every sport. But, like I said, I never played footy growing up unfortunately.

I have at friend at Uni who plays lacrosse. He invited me to watch a game and tbh I wasn't sure what to expect.

It was bloody rough. Those lads weren't going in pussyfooted at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom