• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Wilbury it's been brought up a lot that Liverpool will only be targeting U23 players this year. Pedro was born 1987, Tello born 1991. Probably would play a big part in that decision. Plus Rodgers speaks Spanish and loves kids.

This is nearly just as stupid as buying British.

Wilbur

Banned
Also only the latter of those two is attainable for us :p Pedro at the peak of his career in terms of accomplishments, Tello will be looking for a chance to kick start his. What better way than a team in 8th place in the PL?

I guess so but I think it would be worth making a bid... he's not getting enough playtime at Barca.

Salvadora

No, it's really not. Arsenal does the same, with rare exceptions like Arteta that are short term solutions to fill gaping holes.

Podolski is 27 and the rumoured Giroud is 25. Arsenal place an emphasis on youth but we don't restrict ourselves to purely one market. You'd be missing out on bargains.

Scum

Wotcha, lads. Just found out that 'Arry's gone. Wow! Oh well. Wish him the best. Moyes please and thank you.

Wilbury Rodgers, it's been brought up a lot that Liverpool will only be targeting U23 players this year. Pedro was born 1987, Tello born 1991. Probably would play a big part in that decision. Plus Rodgers Wilbury speaks Spanish and loves kids.
FFMmr.gif

Also only the latter of those two is attainable for us :p Pedro at the peak of his career in terms of accomplishments, Tello will be looking for a chance to kick start his. What better way than a team in 8th place in the PL?

Again, don't see Barca selling any of their younger players right now. They have a smallish squad as it is and do not have much money to spend so I really don't see them selling their promising talent.

The first thing Portugal need to do is stop playing so much long ball, they pump it forwards to Postiga who hardly ever wins a header.

Slizz

Again, don't see Barca selling any of their younger players right now. They have a smallish squad as it is and do not have much money to spend so I really don't see them selling their promising talent.

The first thing Portugal need to do is stop playing so much long ball, they pump it forwards to Postiga who hardly ever wins a header.

Playing as Portugal in FIFA forces you to play nearly identical to the way they are playing now in the tournament, it's actually eerie lol.

Wilbur

Banned

Postiga is fucking shite despite a nice goal today. I play with Almeida on FIFA, at least he can win headers. Wonder if he's better.

Clegg

If Barca sell Tello then I can see them insisting on having a buy-back clause in his contract. They've done this with Romeu and Bojan.

If Barca sell Tello then I can see them insisting on having a buy-back clause in his contract. They've done this with Romeu and Bojan.
Without doubt.

But I don't think they'll even entertain the idea for now and those kids will not be interested in moving away. This is the stuff of dreams for them, playing for the local club who just happen to be the best team in the world...and it's not like they don't get chances. Tello for example started against Real Madrid.

Fry

Without doubt.

But I don't think they'll even entertain the idea for now and those kids will not be interested in moving away. This is the stuff of dreams for them, playing for the local club who just happen to be the best team in the world...and it's not like they don't get chances. Tello for example started against Real Madrid.

They aren't anymore IMO.

K1LLER7

If United sell Nani, which I hope they won't, the proceeds of that sale should go towards signing a properly good central midfielder.

who would you go for? a young player like m'vila and strootman (haven't seen much of either) or someone like modric who although older has already proven he can play in the PL and against top teams.

Clegg

I rate Pedro very highly.

You could see what Barca were missing while he was injured/on the banch. He's a very good wide player and is a goal threat too.

I can't understand why Pep left him on the bench so often last season.

Wilbur

Banned

You could see what Barca were missing while he was injured/on the banch. He's a very good wide player and is a goal threat too.

Experimentation and his ego got to him a little I think. Hence the 3-4-3s and ridiculous amount of midfielders all the time.

Messi

I rate him incredibly highly too.

He had injures last season and then he lost confidence and became very predictable. But he fixed that at the end of the season. He is great.

jtb

Banned
the problem with portugal is they're so damn narrow. having both ronaldo and nani on the wings is a disaster - there's no service to their shitty striker (whichever one they decide to start) without crosses and there's no number ten. that basically leaves portugal with only long range goal threats (nani, ronaldo, mierles) and set pieces, which admittedly is better than england, but still relies way too heavily on fluke goals happening, which almost never happen against top sides.

they should try starting ronaldo in a number ten role. at the very worst, he drags two or three defenders out of position and creates space for a number nine in front of him. iirc, he played in a quasi-playmaker role against APOEL - at this point, why not try it again against a dutch side that are appalling defensively (and likely never playing with two defensive midfielders again in the tournament)?

well he was injured a bit, but I think towards the end of the season, Pep moved more towards everyone providing service for Messi where Pedro was more of a goal threat than a provider. which turned out to be a mistake, but I guess it makes sense to build everything around the best player in the world - to a certain extent.

FootballFan

One of my least fav moments last season was I think against Chelsea, when Cuenca started, didn't do well and was subbed off for Tello. At that moment I was so badly wishing Pedro had been put in. He might not be Messi but he can pop up and score + makes great runs off the ball with his speed. (I think it was that match, either way he deserved more game time imo)

Wilbur

Banned
One of my least fav moments last season was I think against Chelsea, when Cuenca started, didn't do well and was subbed off for Tello. At that moment I was so badly wishing Pedro had been put in. He might not be Messi but he can pop up and score + makes great runs off the ball with his speed. (I think it was that match, either way he deserved more game time imo)

Yeah I was so fucking confused. Pep acted like an idiot at times last season.

PaulLFC

Tello would be a great signing but would Barca want to sell him to us? Not to mention I wonder if he would come here if he has a chance of playing for the Barca first team. I can see them wanting a buy back clause if we do manage to sign him.

K1LLER7

I rate him incredibly highly too.

He had injures last season and then he lost confidence and became very predictable. But he fixed that at the end of the season. He is great.

best thing about him for me is his movement, always making diagonal runs in behind the defence. Something Eto'o and Ronaldinho did so often. not so much from Cuenca or Tello.
He ran rings around Evra in the CL final :(

Arnie

Guys, this is a great tournament and all, but I just want club football to return. Honestly I've watched every game so far (apart from Russia - Poland, went for a maccies) and I'm enjoying it, but once the day's up I just feel empty, like none of it means anything. Then we get small glimpses of club football peaking out throughout the day, like Redknapp being sacked, and it compounds how inconsequential International football is.

I've put more thought into who's going to be the next Spurs manager than I have in Holland being essentially knocked out during the group stages.

Tello would be a great signing but would Barca want to sell him to us? Not to mention I wonder if he would come here if he has a chance of playing for the Barca first team. I can see them wanting a buy back clause if we do manage to sign him.
That's my view too. Doubt Barcelona would let him leave, doubt he'd want to go, but if the stars align then you can bet there'll be a buy back clause in his contract.

Wilbur

Banned
Guys, this is a great tournament and all, but I just want club football to return. Honestly I've watched every game so far (apart from Russia - Poland, went for a maccies) and I'm enjoying it, but once the day's up I just feel empty, like none of it means anything. Then we get small glimpses of club football peaking out throughout the day, like Redknapp being sacked, and it compounds how inconsequential International football is.

I've put more thought into who's going to be the next Spurs manager than I have in Holland being essentially knocked out during the group stages.

Russia - Poland was awesome.

But I know what you mean. I think it's because I just don't give a shit who wins. England won't, and I don't have anyone I hate. Spain aren't as annoying as Barca, Germany are awesome...

Whereas in a league I really don't want Liverpool, Chelsea and City to win. There's no emotional connection for me other than instant gratification and hoping players I like do well. Really enjoying it so far though, I'm glad football's on.

PaulLFC

That's my view too. Doubt Barcelona would let him leave, doubt he'd want to go, but if the stars align then you can bet there'll be a buy back clause in his contract.
It's slightly depressing that for practically every player we've been linked with so far this summer, I can think of at least one, usually multiple, reasons why he wouldn't sign for us.

Fry

This is the first EURO I'm following closely, watching every match and from the start. I'm really enjoying, it's been better than the WC.

I care because most of Germany's players are from Bayern, and I think they deserve to win one trophy this season.

Arnie

Russia - Poland was awesome.

But I know what you mean. I think it's because I just don't give a shit who wins. England won't, and I don't have anyone I hate. Spain aren't as annoying as Barca, Germany are awesome...

Whereas in a league I really don't want Liverpool, Chelsea and City to win. There's no emotional connection for me other than instant gratification and hoping players I like do well. Really enjoying it so far though, I'm glad football's on.

That's the point; there's no emotional attachment outside of England. And even then it's only during the game, I don't have much trouble switching off afterwards, like I would if Liverpool game for whatever reason.

It's like football snacking; accessible but unfulfilling.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why Benitez hasn't gone back into management?
He's made it clear he wants a sizeable transfer kitty and a 'project' at a big club, yet the big clubs he's after are hesitant over offering him a contract because of his last year at Liverpool and his failure at Inter. I'm sure clubs like Villa have approached him, but I just don't think he's ready to step down to that level, and I don't blame him. The man's won La Liga and the Champions League, he's accomplished enough to earn most managerial vacancies.

It's almost laughable that Liverpool didn't approach him, and it'll be even more hilarious if Spurs don't. Or they'll sign him and I'll cry. And Spurs will step up to the next level.

Wilbur

Banned
I take it he received those big Andy pictures.

He actually recommended him to Dalglish

This is the first EURO I'm following closely, watching every match and from the start. I'm really enjoying, it's been better than the WC.

I care because most of Germany's players are from Bayern, and I think they deserve to win one trophy this season.

It's been much better than the World Cup. It's been such fun, I'm so glad there's football to watch. But I have no hope for England so I just really want club football back, especially with Kagawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom