• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
AA: This is what you have to look forward to.. I'm at 329 hours. Some split over this save, a Man City one and a Portland Timbers one.

Got through a few friendlies. I have some nice young talent and have made a few signings. Couple guys I made starters didn't look great and their replacements did so I switched them around. I'm definitely enjoying it a bit more. Towards the end of the session I was trying to figure out how to extend my scouting network a bit, but no1 wants to come to tiny ole Genk :(

Excited to get to the season and see how I do. I still want some more squad depth, but I have a pretty small budget. Just going for young signings that can make an instant impact.

GorillaJu

Is there anything better on FM than Attacking 4-5-1 formations? Seems to be the best by far. One inside forward, one advanced playmaker a CDM, a CM and an AM.

Scoring loads with downing as AP.

4-2-3-1 (very old fm picture I found, ignore the arrows)

4-2-3-1%20milan_Z5Z.jpg

sohois

I've had plenty of success with traditional 4-4-2s in FM, though that was mostly in 09, I haven't really used such a formation in 11. Loads of AI teams play 4-4-2 though and are successful with it.

Clegg

Its 1 striker and 3 attacking midfielders that all play in centralish positions.

Although I'd probably swap Kaka and Pirlo around.

elsk

Banned
Are you watching the EURO? What time are the matches on in Honduras?

First match is around 10am I think, the second one 12:15
I just watch it because I need football and TV is kind of lame in the morning. I don't really care that much about the EURO, Honduras is the only national team I support... and we're sucking beyond compare right now :(

Fry

First match is around 10am I think, the second one 12:15
I just watch it because I need football and TV is kind of lame in the morning. I don't really care that much about the EURO, Honduras is the only national team I support... and we're sucking beyond compare right now :(

Do you think you guys can make it to the WC? You made to South Africa, didn't you?
Are you a better team or worst now?

Most of the germany team is composed by Bayern players, I thought you'd care more. You're missing the birth of a world class player: Gomez. :p

GorillaJu

Hmm.. so Ryo Miyaichi is a fucking monster in FM12. My goodness. Arsenal took Jay Spearing and 6m for him! Please be this stupid IRL, Wenger!

GorillaJu

Has Redknapp quiting Spurs been discussed yet?

What's the consensus here? Any clues on his replacement?

It has been discussed a little - I personally think it's for the best, for Spurs. Think after all the positivity in the past few years, he's not doing enough for the long term benefit of the club.

Mastadon

Banned
It has been discussed a little - I personally think it's for the best, for Spurs. Think after all the positivity in the past few years, he's not doing enough for the long term benefit of the club.

Yeah kind of agree. Although you can make the case that two top 4 finishes in 3 years for a club like Spurs, especially considering where they were when Harry took over, is a massive achievement.

It's a risk. Levy has got to hope that the new manager settles in quickly. If Spurs don't get CL next year then he might regret letting Harry go.

Holy shit.

Buy the new Lambchop album. Even you, Arnie.

Co-signed.

Hmm.. so Ryo Miyaichi is a fucking monster in FM12. My goodness. Arsenal took Jay Spearing and 6m for him! Please be this stupid IRL, Wenger!

I kind of wanted him to get some game time during the qualifiers. Hope he gets to play during the olympics, but doesn't Usami play in his position? Usami played great during the Toulan tournament.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
God, please let it be true. Spartak is offering 11,5M€ for PsychoMelo, Shalke 8-10M€ for Elia. Also, Asamoah medical is scheduled for today, tomorrow will be Isla's turn. So, yeah, it's basically official.

http://shrani.si/f/23/zf/4FEUx46G/v64zs3.jpg[img]

[img]http://shrani.si/f/1N/rI/yNbNT8e/14yb9cp.jpg/img]

Sigh, the sponsor's logo is going to ruin everything, isn't it? :/[/QUOTE]

We're meeting with Verratti's agent today as well!

I can't view the pics but I assume it's this?

[IMG]http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll349/Todosobrecamisetas/ESTRENOS%20CLUBS%202011/13Leak4.jpg
Au4OC7dCAAEPazX.png

13Leak5.jpg

13Leak5details.jpg

Yup, Jeep is going to be a sticker it seems. But at least it's in black and white!

The sticker will completely RUIN the black jersey :(

edit: Unless Jeep is in white?

Yeah, I think he did a great job but it apparently seems after the unrest that followed the rumours of him becoming England manager had a bad effect in the team and Spurs are clearly not pleased with that.

He did a stellar job with Spurs though. Amazing what he achieved.

Who do you think could step in his shoes though? Capello hinted he wanted a team that could compete and they obviously can (in a way).

Yeah kind of agree. Although you can make the case that two top 4 finishes in 3 years for a club like Spurs, especially considering where they were when Harry took over, is a massive achievement.

It's a risk. Levy has got to hope that the new manager settles in quickly. If Spurs don't get CL next year then he might regret letting Harry go.

Yeap. But it seems judging by the players they acquired over the last years that they are indeed aiming high. So maybe they'll go for a high-end coach, like Capello mentioned above.

Hmmm... maybe even AVB could do the job.

Frankly though I'm a bit shocked he's actually leaving, but apparently it wasn't his entirely his call.

Football's gone mad “@SkySports: Harry Redknapp is to leave his post as Tottenham manager, the club have confirmed. Full story to follow.”

https://twitter.com/Pschmeichel1/status/213151374328856576

This day promises to deliver lols by the truckload. Redknapp fired and Ireland getting smashed so badly they'll be begging us to let them join the UK so we can join our national teams and make one mediocre team rather than 2 embarassing ones

Zabojnik

We're meeting with Verratti's agent today as well!

Yup, Jeep is going to be a sticker it seems. But at least it's in black and white!

The sticker will completely RUIN the black jersey :(

edit: Unless Jeep is in white?

I thought we were meeting Pescara? Maybe both? We'll have to wait and see.

What's the deal with these fucking stickers? Is it a costs thing? Why would they deliberately cheapen / ruin an otherwise perfectly great jersey in such a horrible way? I don't get it.

Liverpool want Krasic. For 6M, it's a bargain, I think he suits their new football.

Fixed that for ya.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I thought we were meeting Pescara? Maybe both? We'll have to wait and see.

What's the deal with these fucking stickers? Is it a costs thing? Why would they deliberately cheapen / ruin an otherwise perfectly great jersey in such a horrible way? I don't get it.

Fixed that for ya.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?

:lol Oh right.... scrap that then! Krasic was always meant to join Liverpool, he's the missing piece of the jigsaw!

Yeah I imagine adding a sticker post-production is the cheaper option of the two -_- Just fuck off Nike (or Jeep).

jtb

Banned
Yeah, I think he did a great job but it apparently seems after the unrest that followed the rumours of him becoming England manager had a bad effect in the team and Spurs are clearly not pleased with that.

He did a stellar job with Spurs though. Amazing what he achieved.

Who do you think could step in his shoes though? Capello hinted he wanted a team that could compete and they obviously can (in a way).

Yeap. But it seems judging by the players they acquired over the last years that they are indeed aiming high. So maybe they'll go for a high-end coach, like Capello mentioned above.

Hmmm... maybe even AVB could do the job.

Frankly though I'm a bit shocked he's actually leaving, but apparently it wasn't his entirely his call.

https://twitter.com/Pschmeichel1/status/213151374328856576

I think you're giving waaaaay too much credit to Redknapp. It wasn't entirely his call, no, but he played with fire - and in the end, he got burned. the reason why Spurs burned out in the second half of the season have practically nothing to do with the England job (they thrashed Newcaslte just fine), and everything to do with no squad rotation and tactical naivete. he tried a 4-4-2 (which was a failure, see:north london derby), messed with a working system to fit Saha in - and then Saha got injured (truly, a first) - and constantly played players out of position (bale on the right, modric on the left). by the time anyone even realized they were deep in shit, the side had lost any and all semblence of form.

Let's not pretend spurs were some relegation-facing club before Redknapp came in (as much as the media loves to paint the picture). they finished 5th in 05-06, one place outside the CL places. they finished 5th the following season, same story. I'd attribute spur's sustained rise into the top 4 or 5 of the premeirship to Liverpool's complete and utter implosion (and their following inability to mount a challenge for the CL places) and the weakening of the premiership as a whole, coupled with smart investment (but investment nonetheless) from Levy.

so fuck redknapp. they put four past arsenal - but, shit, just about anyone can do that these days. they won against inter milan, but, then again, so did Schalke. that wasn't Mou's Inter. he's not a bad coach, but he's not a particularly good one either (see: portsmouth, southampton, etc.)

hope AVB or rafa gets the job - would be perfect for both, I think. fuck capello too, he's obviously just looking for one last payday. shame hiddink already nabbed the Anzhi job.

Yen

The best thing about AVB is the way crawlers on a particular forum insist on spelling out his full sextuple-barrelled name.

The don't "insist". There's a forum autocorrect that the mods used to fuck with everyone who excessively uses tons of acronyms. "LVG and AVB could get us into the CL despite the FFP" became "Aloysius Paulus Maria van Gaal and Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas could get us back in the Champions League despite the Financial Fair Play" or whatever.

elsk

Banned
Do you think you guys can make it to the WC? You made to South Africa, didn't you?
Are you a better team or worst now?

Yes, we made it to South Africa.
Worst. The coach left, now he's coaching the Ecuador NT.
And our best players retired after the WC: Carlos Pavón (ST), Amado Guevara (CM), Dani Turcios (CAM), etc. David Suazo is always injured :( fucking Inter Milan.

We're in the middle of a generation change (of players). And the new coach isn't helping at all, he's kind of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom