• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

Shoot. I thought I posted this last night. Must of been in a different forum. I personally love the away kit. But I'm absolutely buying the home because it is better than any of the Nike ones. I'm getting ready to buy, but I can't decide if I should get 19 on the back for Stan. Thought rodvik, Wes, footyGAF?

Also, Holman is incredibly handsome.

Yeah Holman looking boss. We shall see how he plays, fingers crossed. Definitely buying one. With Villa kits I go with my own name and the number 11. A Petrov one would be cool though.

Yeah Holman looking boss. We shall see how he plays, fingers crossed. Definitely buying one. With Villa kits I go with my own name and the number 11. A Petrov one would be cool though.

Not to be mean, but that's adorable that you put your name on the kit. After your wife's jester comment, I can't help but think of you as a 10 year old in an adult's body.

Don't say a word Wilbury.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
La Stampa: Juventus have agreed to sign Verratti on co-ownership for 5m.

Ukraine-Kid-Celebration-Euro-2012.gif

untitled-2bzm8f.gif
untitled-2bzm8f.gif

Ukraine-Kid-Celebration-Euro-2012.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This is why I love International football. You can't replicate this party atmosphere in the CL or anywhere.

We still keep the racist chants I guess.

Meier

Fuuu, reading the Gamecast for France's first goal and it looks like Ribery set it up but Benzema ultimately got the assist. I need points from you, Franck! :*(

My mum just asked me if Scott Parker is leaving Spurs because she saw his wife picking their kids up from school and they were all crying. No idea how she came to that conclusion!

sohois

Fuck me it's so late here and not tired at all. Knowing me I'll start getting drowsy just as the England game starts :(

I decided rather than simply wait around until 2:45am to go out to a club until then. Bizarrely, they were also showing the football, Ukraine - France, which was strange, though not as strange as when they arranged some kind of burlesque dance right as the game was kicking off. My only regret is that this did not occur during the England game and so I cannot make a joke about 2 kinds of arse being on show.

GorillaJu

Progress on the Gylf front as a few journos reckon we're talking to Hoffenheim about Sigurdsson.

John Bennett ‏@JohnBennettBBC
My sources in Germany also believe Sigurdsson is on his way to #LFC. Rodgers is like a "father figure" to him. #swansfc

Been told #LFC have opened talks with Hoffenheim for Sigurdsson. The fee likely to be more than the 9m euro #SCFC agreed. -- Jim Boardman (@JimBoardman)

elsk

Banned
Luis Antonio Valencia (Manchester United) is at Roatan, Honduras with Wilson Palacios and his brothers.

He came to play in the match of inauguration of the football complex Wilson Palacios is building at his hometown, La Ceiba.

Salvadora

I agree. Ever since he showed up on loan for Swansea I thought he deserved a move to a big team. Just glad it's us.

I feel bad for saying this but I am excited to see how Rodgers does. I like watching young, talented managers and its a bonus he's from round these parts. He'll definitely bring in some exciting players & an attractive form of football. It's a shame Aquilani seems intent on never returning to England.

elsk

Banned
1.jpg

Belgian soccer fans bought by mystery Dutch buyer on eBay
http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2012/06/13/belgian-fans-dutch-mercenaries/

It’s because some 20,000 Belgian soccer fans have sold themselves on eBay to support the highest-bidding team for the duration of the European tournament – or at least until it is ejected. The winner, for some €700, was a group of Oranje supporters “with a Belgian connection,” says Lieven Scheire, a 31-year-old Flemish comedian who says he felt “orphaned” without a stake in this year’s Euro cup.

“It’s been 10 years since we competed in a big tournament. I’ve been too bored,” Mr. Scheire told Real Time Brussels Wednesday. “I definitely needed a team.”

And although the bid-winning group, which wanted to remain anonymous, actually chipped in an extra €2,300 to support Mr. Scheire’s chosen charity, the adjustment wasn’t easy.

“There was one country that we were afraid would buy us. And that was Holland,” says Mr. Scheire, adding that his father still give him “severe looks” every time he sees him wearing orange.

Because what the Germans are for the Dutch, the Dutch are for the Belgians. Neighbors that even share a language with more than half of Belgian citizens, the Dutch soccer team has systematically outperformed the Red Devils. Over the decades, this imbalance has generated a deeply rooted – if somewhat one-sided – enmity.

“I’ve met a few Dutch people that were completely surprised that we consider them the bitter rival,” Mr. Scheire admits.

But after a bit of soul-searching and a quick trip across the border – to pick up “a lot of orange stuff” — “I suddenly felt this is going to work,” he says.

And Mr. Scheire was not the only one who overcame his reservations. After a few members dropped out of the Facebook group he had set up for the occasion once the sale was announced last Thursday, many more have joined since.

The fact that there is no language barrier with many of the Belgian supporters of course helps, making it easier to learn the national anthem and Oranje songs including all-time-favorite “Hup Holland Hup.”

Plus: “The Dutch have so many clichés that you can enthusiastically dive into,” say Mr. Scheire.

Over the past week, he says he has assembled a total of 12 Dutch-themed hats, featuring a tulip, a wooden shoe, and even an inflatable windmill.

After the an unexpected defeat against Denmark in the first group match last week, the Netherlands desperately need a win tonight to make it to the quarter final.

To aid their chances, Mr. Scheire and some other Belgo-Dutch supporters have performed a Maori-style Haka war dance and an enthusiastic motivational speech (You can watch them here).

It’s also not the first time that Mr. Scheire has sold his soccer affections on eBay. In 2010, a Honduras fan paid €35 to pick up an extra 130 Belgian Facebook members to support his team.

And he’s willing to do it again if they Dutch get kicked out early. “We are mercenaries,” he says, although he admits “It would be nice to support a team that lasts long.”

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom