• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

doicare

Not that i rate Walcott or anything but maybe, just maybe uncle Woy will realise that Milner shouldn't be playing as England's right winger..... i live in hope.

Korez

untitled-179s8r1.gif

El taconazo de Welbeck

K1LLER7

Why does Rooney automatically get in the team?
Been the best English player last season. Scored 30+ goals last season and countless assists. Better than both Carroll and Welbeck. Helps the team to hold the ball better by dropping into midfield more effectively than the other strikers. Also improves the passing too.

sohois

I don't see why you can't fit Carroll, Welbeck and Rooney into an England team. Certainly, it's a little bit more difficult if you also have to include Walcott, since Welbeck is probably not so effective playing on the left. But a front 4 of:

----------Carroll----------
Welbeck-Rooney-Walcott

is feasible. Doubt Hodgson would go for it though. I would expect Carroll to start over Welbeck, simply because Welbeck has played 2 games thus far and it makes sense to rest him.

GorillaJu

It would be really hard for the media to put any more pressure than they are now.

That to me was a great team performance. Two sloppy goals conceded, but you can work on those. The three that England scored were pure class.

As for Carroll and Rooney vs Welbeck and Rooney it's hard to say. Both can have an impact - Welbeck has much more pace and can hit on the break but Carroll really did his job up front today with the knock downs and passing, dare I say he had a very big part to play in this victory today. In fact I thought all three Liverpool players did quite well. Gerrard was a top class CM.

Milner had another rather poor game and Ashley Young was quiet by his standards. Almost no crosses came in from his side but he always looked threatening when in the area. If Rooney can play at his potential, it should be an easy victory vs Ukraine and a potentially good draw for the knockout round.

Happy for England - I'd love to see them keep going.

Thought Milner and Young were poor today. Carroll, Welbeck, Gerrard and Walcott did the job nicely. Really nice to see Hodgson bring on useful attacking substitutions.

Wes

venison crêpe
Milner had another rather poor game and Ashley Young was quiet by his standards. Almost no crosses came in from his side but he always looked threatening when in the area.

Milner had a better game than Young. Milner at least got a handful of crosses in the penalty area in the first half but was right to be swapped when he did as he was getting sucked out of position too much and didn't have the pace to cover back. Ashley did nothing and in the second half consistently lost the ball much to my anguish.

Milner had a better game than Young. Milner at least got a handful of crosses in the penalty area in the first half but was right to be swapped when he did as he was getting sucked out of position too much and didn't have the pace to cover back. Ashley did nothing and in the second half consistently lost the ball much to my anguish.

Not disagreeing - he was crap. But Walcott showed Milner up badly.

K1LLER7

Added bonus is Rooney and Welbeck have played together nearly all season and have that partnership at United.

Young has to improve and Milner should stay on the bench.

Wes

venison crêpe
My real problem was our central midfield, every time one of Gerrard or Parker went forward we lost the ball and Sweden just ran straight through the midfield up the other end and had a chance.

Parker just doesn't have the legs to cover his central partner going forward on his own.

GorillaJu

Neither played at their normal level. No doubt there.

Walcott was a fantastic sub. Downing might have been useful today, but I think Walcott and the Ox were good choices - deadly pace and good finishing on both of them.

Wes

venison crêpe
Not disagreeing - he was crap. But Walcott showed Milner up badly.

I agree. I can see Theo starting against the Ukraine now. I think Roy will start Young, Rooney and Welbeck and hope the left side works like they do for their club and leave Walcott to go nuts on the right, leaving Gerrard and Parker to sit back constantly.

Roy got every decision right, he was let down by the players for the goals.

GorillaJu

I agree. I can see Theo starting against the Ukraine now. I think Roy will start Young, Rooney and Welbeck and hope the left side works like they do for their club and leave Walcott to go nuts on the right, leaving Gerrard and Parker to sit back constantly.

That's not a bad idea, except Ukraine sit rather deep, like Sweden did. May not have a chance from the off to take advantage of the pace England has.

K1LLER7

This makes too much sense so Roy won't choose this team :(

Wes

venison crêpe
That's not a bad idea, except Ukraine sit rather deep, like Sweden did. May not have a chance from the off to take advantage of the pace England has.

Ukraine can't afford to sit deep, they need a win. I think with Rooney given a free role England should flow a lot better. His work rate sets a good standard.

I thought Carroll did well today. Did a Heskey to give away the free kick but worked hard.

Wilbur

Banned
Just checking in here rather than the Euros thread because I'll most likely get some fucking idiots telling me we were shite. Defense for 15 minutes was awful but we controlled the game, looked good going forward and except for the two set plays they scored from, defense doing the job again.

Gerrard was class, Carroll and Welbeck not far behind, and nice to see Walcott actually do anything. Now I'm off to the pub. Have a good night lads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom