• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korez

HEEWb.jpg

:p

faridmon

I don't know if you guys have discussed this but, The 2012/13 Premier League fixture schedule is set to be announced at 9am on Monday. Who do you want on the opening day?

To be honest with you, I might as well get a strong team like Manchester United since we lose the initial 10 games or so. we might as well get the big teams out of the way.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
FIVE goals! Who scored them?
Is it true that Fiorentina have told Jovetic that he can leave this summer?

“There is no misunderstanding over Jovetic, our intention is to hold on to him firmly and to build around him, then, if he wanted to be put on the market, we would make further assessments. The best thing is transparency, to always speak the truth.

At this time the player needs to now come out and express himself publicly."

Zabojnik

Is it true that Fiorentina have told Jovetic that he can leave this summer?

Guess where he's going? WE ARE BUYING EVERYONEEEE!!!111
I don't know if it's true, but for the right amount of money ... he's going. There are rumors saying that the Viola are very interested in Matri and wouldn't be opposed to an exchange + cash for JoJo. It's not gonna happen though, seeing how we seem intent on bringing Giovinco home and keeping Matri.

Clegg

“There is no misunderstanding over Jovetic, our intention is to hold on to him firmly and to build around him, then, if he wanted to be put on the market, we would make further assessments. The best thing is transparency, to always speak the truth.

At this time the player needs to now come out and express himself publicly."

Sounds like they want to keep him but would sell him if the right offer came in.

Interesting.

Zabojnik

So I never saw Dances With Wolves and I think it's high time to right that wrong. Should I watch the theatrical version or the director's cut? The latter it's like 50min longer, making the runtime a whopping 3h50min. Worth it or not?

GorillaJu

Has this graph been posted yet? An independent Liverpool fan podcast fielded a question for John W Henry (LFC principle owner) about the new stadium plans, and he gave a really interesting and enlightening response that reaches wider than just Liverpool.

ZSNhz.jpg

As you can see, while that left column is perhaps the one that garners the most attention (number of seats), it is eclipsed in importance by the one on the right – income per seat. That's where the gulf lies between us and the big London clubs + Man U. If we developed a new stadium and added 15k seats, we'd still lag behind the others because we make so much less per ticket on average. We need better corporate facilities and super-rich seats as well as a larger general expansion. The owners, however, are keen to expand the global marketing of the club as the way up.

I don't know much about English cities, but how different are Liverpool and Manchester, economically? Is Manchester that much wealthier of a community that they can sustain such an expensive club? My impression is that historically, the two cities have been the two major economic centers in the north west and about equal financially, but I could be way off.

Anyway I'm sure some will find this interesting so here's the full response from Mr Henry

JOHN  W HENRY: “A long-term myth has existed about the financial impact of a new stadium for Liverpool. Maybe it became a good reason for selling the club at one point.
“Whatever the reason, a belief has grown that Liverpool FC must have a new stadium to compete with United, Arsenal and others.  No one has ever addressed whether or not a new stadium is rational.
“New stadiums that are publicly financed make sense for clubs. I’ve never heard of a club turning down a publicly financed stadium.
“But privately carrying new stadiums is an enormous challenge. Arsenal is centered in a very wealthy city with a metropolitan population of approximately 14 million people.
“They did a tremendous job of carrying it off on a number of levels. But how many new football stadiums with more than 30,000 seats have been built in the UK over the past decade or so?  I’m sure every club would like to move to a new facility.
“We’ve been exploring a new stadium for the past 18 months.  At one point we made it clear that if a naming rights deal could be secured of sufficient size, we would make every effort to build a new facility.
“Liverpool FC has an advantage in being a global club and a naming rights deal could make a new stadium a reality. It is something we are working on. There has been interest.
“Going in the other direction, many football clubs have successfully enlarged their seating capacity. LFC has had plans to expand the main stand at Anfield. But this avenue has been very difficult for the club over the past couple of decades.
“There are homes behind the main stand. Expansion of the main stand would have to be a priority for the city, community and immediate neighborhood in order for that to occur. And there are many people who feel this expansion should be welcomed.  This issue is vital to the neighborhood’s future, but we cannot and will not act unilaterally.
“While a new stadium or an expansion of Anfield is beneficial over the long-term for the club, the financial impact of adding seats and amenities should be put into perspective. That’s why I say that it is a myth that stadium issues are going to magically transform LFC’s fortunes.  Here is a chart based on 10/11 match-day revenue.

“Can Liverpool as a community afford Chelsea or Arsenal prices?  No.”It is often said that for Liverpool to compete in match-day revenue with United, Arsenal and Chelsea, we need a new stadium.  But you can see that the £50 or £60 million differences stem as much from revenue per seat as from the number of seats. Even if Liverpool were able to get to 60,000 seats, there would have to be an increase from £900 to £1550 in revenue per seat as well to catch Arsenal.
“If Anfield yielded £1550 per seat, without adding seats, LFC match-day revenue would rise from £41M to £71M.  That would be the same as building a new stadium with 60,000 seats or increasing seating at Anfield and increasing revenue per seat to £1170.
“There also is this feeling that if you add concessions and amenities such as Arsenal did at Emirates, your “per-cap” (how much is spent on concessions per person) goes way up, but the last time we checked the per-cap at Emirates was only £0.50 higher.
“The allure of a new stadium and/or refurbishment is no different at Anfield then it is anywhere in the world. New stadiums increase revenues primarily by raising ticket prices – especially premium seating.
“In America, as an example, 3 NFL (American football) clubs have moved into new stadiums over the past 3 years.  The New York Jets average ticket price rose by 32% when they moved into their new stadium.  The New York Giants rose by 26% and the Dallas Cowboys rose by 31%.  In baseball, ticket prices rose 76% when the New York Yankees moved into their new stadium 3 years ago.
“At Emirates Stadium match-day revenues rose 96% the first year while seats had increased 57%.
“Building new or refurbishing Anfield is going to lead to an increase from £40M of match-day revenue to perhaps £60-70M if you don’t factor in debt service.
“That would certainly help, but it’s just one component of LFC long-term fortunes. Our future is based not on a stadium issue but on building a strong football club that can compete with anyone in Europe.
“This will be principally driven financially by our commercial strengths globally.”

So I never saw Dances With Wolves and I think it's high time to right that wrong. Should I watch the theatrical version or the director's cut? The latter it's like 50min longer, making the runtime a whopping 3h50min. Worth it or not?

If you've already seen Avatar, then no.

lol

GorillaJu

It really highlights just how other worldly City's finances are. Their match day income is meager – doesn't even compare with us, yet because of absurd investment, they can buy silverware. It must be frustrating for people like the Glazers, or Arsenal's owners, to have financed and planned such an enormously successful economic structure, but not be able to beat City on the pitch because of their sugar-daddy owners. Chelsea's income makes sense given their location in a yuppie area of a very wealthy city, so you can feasibly see them, in much shorter terms than City, having income to support their massive outlay.

Our wage bill is also beyond retarded. It's about equal with Arsenal and not too far behind United, yet there we are languishing half way down the table. Buying the Sigurdssons of the world instead of the Joe Coles and Milan Jovanovic will be a good start :p

Clegg

Rene Meulensteen on Shinji Kagawa

He gets behind the opposition in midfield which means that he can help in possession or be direct in moving forward.

He can create chances and he can score goals.

He’s got the complete package of what you would want from an attacking midfielder.

Bumhead

Banned
I don't know if you guys have discussed this but, The 2012/13 Premier League fixture schedule is set to be announced at 9am on Monday. Who do you want on the opening day?

To be honest with you, I might as well get a strong team like Manchester United since we lose the initial 10 games or so. we might as well get the big teams out of the way.

It's not Premier League, but I'd like Blackburn or Blackpool away on first day of the season. Blackburn because of the nice big away end and Blackpool because it would be nice to go there when it's likely to be nice weather, rather than the Tuesday night in December or January we usually get there.

Arnie

That letter from John Henry is great, and really does highlight how this whole furore about building a new stadium in order to compete is a bit of a myth; and in fact rushing the stadium issue could cause major headaches down the road.

How many people in the street would say immediately that they want a new stadium? Tons. How many would balk at the increased ticket prices, considering ticket prices at Anfield are already high? Tons.

The next time a cabbie starts telling me about how he wants the club to start building on Stanley Park, I'll ask him if he's willing to pay £55-£60 for a match day ticket every week.

I'm personally more inclined (even more so after that letter) to opt towards a piece by piece revamp of Anfield, with the Kop's improvement being a move towards safe standing, a model that's perfectly safe, proven in other countries, and improves the atmosphere by a huge factor. When talking about increasing match day revenue, you think of the allur of a stadium; I'm sure wealthy people would want to pay extra to see a fully standing, fully singing kop, as opposed to the (albeit still great) half and half jobbie we've got at the moment.

A stadium naming rights deal is also vital to bring the overhead costs down on the regeneration, so ticket prices don't soar. Sell the naming rights as a temporary thing (4 year contract) and you can think about removing the branding in the future when finances have settled.

Girlfriend just rang me from Portugal, she's sitting on the beach in the sun while I'm freezing at home. Fucking shit English weather.

Ah well, hopefully Holland will beat Portugal and go through :D

danwarb

If Gerrard can't play three games in three weeks for Liverpool without breaking down in injury, I don't know why he can suddenly do three in 12 days for England, regardless of an armband.

The new abs might help:
tumblr_m5ors1hWMU1qcinnpo2_r1_500.gif

What on earth do I need to do to get this?

Yen

Arnie, Kenny (and I presume HJC, HFSG) are totally against standing in any form, be it "safe-standing" or otherwise.

spidye

Man... another second place. Fuck.

It is said that even though Bayern had contact with M'Vila's agent, he is not the type of player Bayern is looking for. M'Vila is "too defensive" and too much like Luiz Gustavo.

http://www.tz-online.de/sport/fc-ba...-muenchen-aber-kein-wechsel-meta-2356119.html

Looks like Jupp is still looking for someone like Vidal. Martínez being the top candidate.

too bad. with tymo definitely leaving next year he would have been perfect for the dm position

Meier

It really highlights just how other worldly City's finances are. Their match day income is meager – doesn't even compare with us, yet because of absurd investment, they can buy silverware. It must be frustrating for people like the Glazers, or Arsenal's owners, to have financed and planned such an enormously successful economic structure, but not be able to beat City on the pitch because of their sugar-daddy owners. Chelsea's income makes sense given their location in a yuppie area of a very wealthy city, so you can feasibly see them, in much shorter terms than City, having income to support their massive outlay.

City ticket prices are quite low, still the best value in the league, no? I think I read that the match day revenue had already doubled or more since the Sheikh took over to put it in perspective. I'm sure the ultimate goal of the team is to definitely get is to get it near 1,000 in the next few years. It's going to be impossible to hit a much higher number in a city like Manchester when someone else is already doing 1.5x that target. That Man U can do numbers similar to a London club is a really amazing feat.

elsk

Banned
we need both, to be honest.

Meh, not right now. I want something like this

Neuer
Lahm - Boateng - Badstuber - Alaba
Javi Martínez - Schweini
Shaqiri - Mueller - Ribéry
Gómez

Bench: Starke, Dante, Gustavo, Robben, Kroos, Pizarro, Tymo

or this when using Kroos:

Neuer
Schweini - Javi Martínez - Kroos
Shaqiri - Gómez - Ribéry

That's Barcelona-esque kind of midfield.

edit: we really need another winger for the bench.

spidye

Meh, not right now. I want something like this

Neuer
Javi Martínez - Schweini
Shaqiri - Mueller - Ribéry
Gómez

or this when using Kroos:

Neuer
Schweini - Javi Martínez - Kroos
Shaqiri - Gómez - Ribéry

That's Barcelona-esque kind of midfield.
I agree. this would be the ideal situation but not going to happen with heynckes as the manager.
we definitely need a plan b against teams which play counter attacking and 4-3-3 is probably the best formation, IMO

elsk

Banned
I agree. this would be the ideal situation but not going to happen with heynckes as the manager.
we definitely need a plan b against teams which play counter attacking and 4-3-3 is probably the best formation, IMO

We used the 4-3-3 on both Real Madrid matches. Well, in the first leg we used it until Mueller came in... the problem is Gómez, without a "#10" (Mueller) behind him, he disconnects from the team.

We played something like this against RM:

ibg2RfjFMUfhsL.jpeg

With Schweini and Kroos moving around the whole pitch. Could you imagine how amazing would that lineup be with Vidal and not Gustavo? I mean, Gustavo is a superb DM but his passing and vision are very weak.

dc89

City ticket prices are quite low, still the best value in the league, no? I think I read that the match day revenue had already doubled or more since the Sheikh took over to put it in perspective. I'm sure the ultimate goal of the team is to definitely get is to get it near 1,000 in the next few years. It's going to be impossible to hit a much higher number in a city like Manchester when someone else is already doing 1.5x that target. That Man U can do numbers similar to a London club is a really amazing feat.

City's prices are low and we've sold 36,000 season tickets this year in record time.

Time for a expansion I think, just so we can have 20,000 empty seats per game just like rival fans say we have.

dc89

P.S My France home shirt from Soccer Triads is awesome. I can notice like one minor imperfection on it but I am chuffed for £20.

spidye

We used the 4-3-3 on both Real Madrid matches. Well, in the first leg we used it until Mueller came in... the problem is Gómez, without a "#10" (Mueller) behind him, he disconnects from the team.

We played something like this against RM:

http://i.minus.com/ibg2RfjFMUfhsL.jpeg[IMG]

With Schweini and Kroos moving around the whole pitch. Could you imagine how amazing would that lineup be with Vidal and not Gustavo? I mean, Gustavo is a superb DM but his passing and vision are very weak.[/QUOTE]

interesting. I didn't know we played a 4-3-3 against madrid.
yeah vidal would have been awesome but fucking voller that idiot. sold him below his market value just because he didn't want him to go to bayern.

elsk

Banned
interesting. I didn't know we played a 4-3-3 against madrid.
yeah vidal would have been awesome but fucking voller that idiot. sold him below his market value just because he didn't want him to go to bayern.

Yeah, I think we could do much better with that kind of formation against Dortmund, it was a shame that Schweini was always injured or recovering from injury when we faced them.

We lack a true #10, so a 4-3-3 is a much better formation for us specially having two amazing players like Kroos and Schweini. It will be interesting to see how Jupp does in his second season, he knows the players and we're bringing more alternatives like Shaqiri, I expect next season to be more interesting. Remember that we were still playing Rafinha until the winter break!... this time we already have a strong XI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom