• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
They said on Football Daily that Mario Gomez has only been in possession of the ball for 27 seconds so far in the Euros (scoring 3 goals). That's ridiculous.

Fry

They said on Football Daily that Mario Gomez has only been in possession of the ball for 27 seconds so far in the Euros (scoring 3 goals). That's ridiculous.

Ridiculously good or bad?

##

That's what I said in the EURO thread when I had him for player of the tournament so far. There have been some midfielders/defenders performing better than him, but he's definitely been the best striker so far.

Joe

Russia's shots vs Greece

ObLV1.png

I'm absolutely flabbergasted at the Euro results from last night. What in god's name happened to Russia?

:(

Horrible defensive blunder( par for the course really)+ Russia's consistent inability to break down a team that sits back defensively. Shouldn't really surprise anyone who has followed this team closely. Also seems like the team took shooting lessons from Kerzhakov. I pray he never puts on the national team shirt again. Dzyuba future at striker. Believe!

GorillaJu

:(

Horrible defensive blunder( par for the course really)+ Russia's consistent inability to break down a team that sits back defensively. Shouldn't really surprise anyone who has followed this team closely. Also seems like the team took shooting lessons from Kerzhakov. I pray he never puts on the national team shirt again. Dzyuba future at striker. Believe!

But... Greece? GREECE?

Zabojnik

foto31b.jpg

428432_3371032796507_251727151_n.jpg

The sticker actually looks less terrible than I thought. Still a damn shame, but I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. *opens Learning to Live by Dream Theater in mp3 player to counter the indie crap that infests Footy-GAF*

Silly reasoning - 7 years ago Liverpool won the CL. Russia is a good team and should have walked all over the competition in their group.

It is a bit of a silly comparison, I agree.

My point should have been more like why not Greece? Chelsea knocked out Barca playing like that, APOEL (a team most of you probably never heard of before) made it to the final 8 of the Champions League, why not Greece beating Russia? Especially considering they did manage to overcome all odds once before in the past. They'll definitely not win it but I don't think it's un-reasonable for any Greek to have hoped their team beating Russia.

It's not like they didn't play well the first two games. They were decent enough but unlucky to concede silly goals.

Sloosha

Speaking of music, Yoko Kanno is a genius. For Faridmon and Regulus: that jazz medley played at the end of episode 7 of Sakamichi no Apollon is glorious, especially when it goes into Someday my Prince will come. Definitely going to pick up the OST.

Rad-

Also;

@sylvain_sro: I spoke to M'Vila yesterday, he was hesitating among Arsenal & Manchester United. Answer in few days... #expectation

Yessssss! Needed another rumour to get the muppet juices flowing again. This is the perfect one.

I remember him saying United is his dream club ages ago, though not sure if that was madeup or real. I don't think Fergie will go for him though.

Hixx

I have wondered this, since he makes the GIFs so quick and GAF is pretty popular I am guessing his GIFs spread quickly. Pretty cool, I haven't seen his GIFs outside of GAF though (not like I would recognise them anyway)

people definitely pinch them. when i did it for a while last season some of them would get 20x the views others did so some lurker either nicks them or we have a traitor from within. :O

people definitely pinch them. when i did it for a while last season some of them would get 20x the views others did so some lurker either nicks them or we have a traitor from within. :O

Well I posted stuff like Chelsea gifs around and random funny ones, if Sunhi doesn't approve of that I will obviously stop but never seen him say not to spread them around. But this is the internets, if you post something expect it to spread at the rate of herpes on Wilbury.

Went to my minus to see what got me the most views... 74k right here, lol

Post I made on another forum about where I'd like to see the England team go:

What about
-----------------Hart
Johnson-Terry-Lescott-Cole
--------------Parker
--------Gerrard---Milner
-------------Rooney
--------Welbeck---Carroll

I really like that, although Milner will be just as shite there as he is on the wing, and in a more dangerous position in which to have a player playing poorly. If we could replace him with a player similar to a left-footed Gerrard (not completely similar, a central player who often drifts to the wings and delivers a wicked cross,) it'd be a very good team as everyone would contribute to the style of play. Roy would never do it though. If we ever used that formation, I'd honestly rather have Baines there than Cole, purely for his much superior delivery and ability to get into dangerous crossing positions. Would make great use of either Johnson, Walker or Richards as well, as attacking full-backs would be vital to the system.

Only problem is the lack of the left sided midfielder (could Wilshere fill that role?) and general lack of depth when it comes to players able to play that sort of system.

GK: Hart, a myriad of mediocre keepers

CB: Cahill, Lescott, Terry, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Kelly (in the future)
RB: Johnson, Walker, Richards
LB: Cole, Baines. Hopefully Robinson in 3 or so years time

DM: Parker. That's about it, which is really worrying
RCM: Gerrard, Lampard(?,) Henderson, Milner, Carrick(?)
LCM: Wilshere, Powell soon (is he left-footed?,) the RCMs if needs be

AMF: Rooney, Young, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gerrard, Milner (if needed)

CF: Welbeck, Carroll, Rooney. Sturridge, Holt, Crouch, Walcott(?)

Players who'll be unavailable soon: Gerrard, Lampard, Terry (either way)

How I'd see that formation in 2 years time:

433140_England.jpg

That is a huge question mark though in the middle, and Parker's lack of back-up would kill us if he were to be unavailable. Johnson or Walker are interchangable, and both suit the formation more than Richards imo. Take your pick between Smalling and Jones. Carroll's place is up to him. If he carries on as he has in the last few months, he'd be there if it was up to me, but I wouldn't be incredulous if Sturridge was used in his place.

Thoughts?

(Original formation suggested by arcticus on everybody's favourite fan-forum)

Fady K

Blablurn!! Cannot believe Greece went through! So epic lol!

Yenrot, thanks for the Ireland summaries, I'll have a quick look tonight and let you know if I have any questions :]

Oh yeah Woodenlung, forgot to post the response to this:

Well i hate all you bitches. Except Fady.

ioiPRn8UMNDUu.gif

caceresbaciaconte.gif

Mother of FootballGAF! That post is huge.

And I think the Trophy has been returned to England now. But you bet it will get out to Abu Dhabi sometime soon again!

Also Yes, I looked at your tag. I've never played Xenosaga though. :(

I've heard of Corpse Party - is it good?

Also I finished Rayman on my Vita this morning. Just need to get a few more things in it to work towards the trophies. I'm missing 2 relics cause I've not found enough cages yet to unlock the challenges to get the Relic.

Dan : D

I should have passed by the store when I had the chance ;[ Xenosaga is great, GREAT stuff! Though it is definitely not for everyone. A LOT of story (which I personally loved for the most part) peppered in a universe with wonderful gameplay, great music, and a very interesting universe. A lot of people were put off by the slow pace of the first game; those who managed to get through it were put off by the weak gameplay mechanics of the second game; but those who stuck with both and were happy with them fell head over heels for the third game - the one that really stood out for me by far, as one of the very best games I had finished.

Corpse Party is GREAT too. See, it's a Japanese horror game (so if you don't mind that kind of thing, you'll eat it up!), and it is very effective which is astonishing as it's visuals reflect an RPG in the Super Nintendo era except far far darker. Overall it is an adventure game, and is PSN-only. It is being sold at an excellent price I should add, and won over many GAFfers. Here is a a gameplay video. Woodenlung - you may like this!

So I take it you loved Rayman? If you have it on the PS3 I think we can play online co-op!

easily biggest fady post ever surely?

I think it may be my second biggest. My biggest was way too long I could not believe it : o

Haha so awesome! Hopefully the next one will be sooner man, I miss reading your views on things regularly - even if I don't always respond to them.

You're very kind man! Contributing to footygaf in any way is equally an honor as it is a pleasure : ]

Wow dude, big post is big. And I'm in it :p

Congrats man :p And good luck with the Holland game today. Maybe they can pull it off!

lol "Who knows, Arkady may even opt for a young, thrusting, bright Portuguese coach. After all, Jose Mourinho’s protégé, Andre Villas-Boas, is doing a fine job with the Special One’s old club, Porto, and will move on to bigger things." Not playing much else than Battlefield 3.

Thanks for the link. Battlefield 3 huh? Surely there are more titles out there that can please Woodenlung :D I'm playing a PSP horror title (indie-like) called Corpse Party - I think you'd enjoy it!

To be honerst, I thought his post would be longer. Fady's slipping. :(

No seriously, it will be good to have you back. That means everyone else can go back to being a cunt. :p

Nothing will ever match my epic post I believe :p Thanks man, and I hope you get a job again real soon!

Fady what's your job?

You can just say the industry if you want, I want to avoid something dull and timeconsuming if possible haha!

Honestly man you may very enjoy my industry. See, I'm a PR person, though I have not worked in the PR field for a couple of years now. Rather, I have worked in the advertising industry as a client servicing executive, and it just sucks honestly. For some it could be the career of a lifetime. I'd rather be writing match reports for a sports paper!

International sex symbol.

Even this guy would beat me in that area :p

untitled-2bzm8f.gif

You're awesome Fady
id5IllS08pQwi.gif

Think it is for saying that the Offtopic is ruined again because Devolution returned from her ban. I agree with that sentiment for that she can be annoying sometimes and I'd say that it is a harsh ban, but you shouldn't start badmouthing other members like that.

#DamnFreeJeff

Hahaha I absolutely love this gif : D

And yes, #DamnFreeJeff#DamnFreeJeff#DamnFreeJeff#DamnFreeJeff#DamnFreeJeff#DamnFreeJeff!!!

I asked this Fady once. I could tell you but that would seem stalkerish :p

Edit: All I'm going to say is - why do you think my PR skills are so good?!

You're better at it than you think ;D

Wow Greece!! They did it for Fady!

Big big shock! They were bottom of the group and played pretty horribly in their first 2 games (they had one horrible half in each game at least). They were completely different last night man, great defense, a very solid counterattack, a wrong yellow card and a penalty appeal ignored.

Thanks for the link. Battlefield 3 huh? Surely there are more titles out there that can please Woodenlung :D I'm playing a PSP horror title (indie-like) called Corpse Party - I think you'd enjoy it!

Well there was 4 new maps and some new modes released. Hasn't really been many games that interested me lately, tried Max Payne 3 but I kind of hate it. The action is pretty good, but nothing out of the ordinary really. The character and story is just a terrible mess, "oh no, I'm a drunk and I eat pills all the time. I'm also a gun for hire, wish I wasn't like that"

*Cuts to gameplay of bulleting timing through the air eating pills and shooting thousands of people in the face while saying funny one liners*

Seriously I hated Max within the first (forced to watch of course!) cutscene of the game, glad it bombed. So yeah, went back to battlefield, got RDR for ps3 after my 360 died, might try and finish that later.

immy

Banned
Post I made on another forum about where I'd like to see the England team go:

I really like that, although Milner will be just as shite there as he is on the wing, and in a more dangerous position in which to have a player playing poorly. If we could replace him with a player similar to a left-footed Gerrard (not completely similar, a central player who often drifts to the wings and delivers a wicked cross,) it'd be a very good team as everyone would contribute to the style of play. Roy would never do it though. If we ever used that formation, I'd honestly rather have Baines there than Cole, purely for his much superior delivery and ability to get into dangerous crossing positions. Would make great use of either Johnson, Walker or Richards as well, as attacking full-backs would be vital to the system.

Only problem is the lack of the left sided midfielder (could Wilshere fill that role?) and general lack of depth when it comes to players able to play that sort of system.

GK: Hart, a myriad of mediocre keepers

CB: Cahill, Lescott, Terry, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Kelly (in the future)
RB: Johnson, Walker, Richards
LB: Cole, Baines. Hopefully Robinson in 3 or so years time

DM: Parker. That's about it, which is really worrying
RCM: Gerrard, Lampard(?,) Henderson, Milner, Carrick(?)
LCM: Wilshere, Powell soon (is he left-footed?,) the RCMs if needs be

AMF: Rooney, Young, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gerrard, Milner (if needed)

CF: Welbeck, Carroll, Rooney. Sturridge, Holt, Crouch, Walcott(?)

Players who'll be unavailable soon: Gerrard, Lampard, Terry (either way)

How I'd see that formation in 2 years time:

433140_England.jpg

That is a huge question mark though in the middle, and Parker's lack of back-up would kill us if he were to be unavailable. Johnson or Walker are interchangable, and both suit the formation more than Richards imo. Take your pick between Smalling and Jones. Carroll's place is up to him. If he carries on as he has in the last few months, he'd be there if it was up to me, but I wouldn't be incredulous if Sturridge was used in his place.

Thoughts?

(Original formation suggested by arcticus on everybody's favourite fan-forum)

Why would Gerrard be to old but not parker?

Gerrard is quickly losing some of the attributes which have contributed to him being a top class player, and is becoming more and more injury-prone, unlike Parker :)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Expected Italy XI: 4-3-1-2: Buffon, Balzaretti, Chiellini, Barzagli, Abate; Marchisio, Pirlo, De Rossi; Motta/Diamanti; Di Natale, Cassano

Motta behind the strikers?

4-3-1-2?

ixA4W5qUkvGga.gif

Zabojnik said:

It looks...smaller!

immy

Banned
Gerrard is quickly losing some of the attributes which have contributed to him being a top class player, and is becoming more and more injury-prone, unlike Parker :)

You could just play him deeper though, I mean god i hate gerrard but in this deeper role he's prob been englands best player.

You could just play him deeper though, I mean god i hate gerrard but in this deeper role he's prob been englands best player.

Not sure he has the attention-span to stay in position, and in that system it would be vital for the DM to play smart for all 90 minutes. He's fine in a deeper role, just not in the deepest midfield role :p

GorillaJu

I think Gerrard would be better as a poacher-type striker than a deep-lying midfielder. He's kept his athleticism which is crucial to that role, but he drifts out of position too much to be given the responsibility of breaking up play.

Arnie

I think Gerrard would be better as a poacher-type striker than a deep-lying midfielder. He's kept his athleticism which is crucial to that role, but he drifts out of position too much to be given the responsibility of breaking up play.

I agree; although I think the injuries to England's midfield has meant Roy just can't play him there. I hope Roy rests Gerrard on Friday and plays either Jones or Henderson. We'll need him fresh for the next round.

I agree; although I think the injuries to England's midfield has meant Roy just can't play him there. I hope Roy rests Gerrard on Friday and plays either Jones or Henderson. We'll need him fresh for the next round.

If we'd beaten France, I'd agree. As it stands though, a win could well see us come first, and a draw is the bare minumum. I'd be devestated if Roy played a weakened team (in any position) and we got knocked out for it.

dc89

Must be banking on Silva handing in a transfer request. How long has he got left?

3 years. He signed on 5 years 2 seasons ago.

Silva's agent, Julio Llorente said recently: 'David has signed a long deal with Manchester City and is very happy at the club.

'Football is always unpredictable but he wants to stay in England. Real Madrid is a big club as well and they were interested when he was at Valencia (the club he left to join City) but the deal was not possible.

'We are ignoring the plans of Real Madrid because he is very integrated at City and winning the Premier League has only increased his commitment to the club.'

Article is over on the banned newspaper site if you want to see more.

Wes

venison crêpe

You think Parker is going to be able to keep up with the midfield of top level international sides in the heat of Brazil?

It's hard to speculate two years in to the future. Two years ago you wouldn't have chosen Welbeck, Carroll, Oxlade-Chamberlin. Players always have big seasons, seemingly coming out of nowhere. I would be surprised if someone like Rodwell isn't in the first team in two years.

Hodgson was signed for four years not with Brazil in mind but France 2016, frankly our best chance to win an international tournament. After this summer I expect a bold injection of youth for friendlies and qualifiers.

You think Parker is going to be able to keep up with the midfield of top level international sides in the heat of Brazil?

It's hard to speculate two years in to the future. Two years ago you wouldn't have chosen Welbeck, Carroll, Oxlade-Chamberlin. Players always have big seasons, seemingly coming out of nowhere. I would be surprised if someone like Rodwell isn't in the first team in two years.

Hodgson was signed for four years not with Brazil in mind but France 2016, frankly our best chance to win an international tournament. After this summer I expect a bold injection of youth for friendlies and qualifiers.

Rodwell completely slipped my mind. Yeah, he'll probably be our best DM in 2 years

Well I posted stuff like Chelsea gifs around and random funny ones, if Sunhi doesn't approve of that I will obviously stop but never seen him say not to spread them around. But this is the internets, if you post something expect it to spread at the rate of herpes on Wilbury.

Went to my minus to see what got me the most views... 74k right here, lol
I thought this would be interesting to check. The most viewed GIF I've made was this,

iFTYERqbRdX3P.gif

With 119,225 views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom