• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a lurker back then, was a great thread to my memory. I hate when offside discussions come up or people start calling teams cheaters. There is seriously people saying Spain win by cheating in the Euro thread. lol
By the way, your post on the offside situations was correct. I'm just not willing to post in there any more :lol

I know the Euro attracts a larger amount of viewers who normally don't follow football but that much and may not be informed on the offside matters, but come on. It's plain sad that situations like these spawn such discussions.

Splatt

I stopped browsing the Euro thread before when I saw someone call Given a bad goal tender or something.

That guy does not know what he's talking about.

Any club would be happy to have Given as a GK. He's class, even with his reflexes being slower now that he's well into his 30's.

FootballFan

I know the Euro attracts a larger amount of viewers who normally don't follow football but that much and may not be informed on the offside matters, but come on. It's plain sad that situations like these spawn such discussions.

Exactly why they should be listening to full-time football followers who are trying to explain why something happened and why that referee made that decision.

I can't be bothered replying anymore lol. We should all just agree and say, "OK IT WAS OFFSIDE" from now on :p. And technology doesn't fix everything, just a few things, so I am against it and want the game to stay this way.

Eg in rugby they use video technology. All Blacks lost 2007 Rugby WC due to a forward pass and a ridiculous yellow card against France or so I am told. But video tech isn't used for those situations, only for Try's and bad hits I think. So you would still have people complaining about situations. One thing I would like though, is just goal line technology, incase of another Lampard vs Germany like incident. Something that tells the Ref quickly if the ball has crossed the line(whether his watch vibrates, makes weird sound or whatever)

Hixx

That guy does not know what he's talking about.

Any club would be happy to have Given as a GK. He's class, even with his reflexes being slower now that he's well into his 30's.

nope. been a pale imitation of himself since leaving the skunks.

Splatt

Wooden thinks he's overrated too.

ibdzg96bJAOxZ8.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Seriously worried we won with a 4-3-1-2. I don't know how much influence it had on the goals but I'm guessing, not much.

Arnie

Given us overrated. Has been for years. His best years were at Newcastle, but even then he was a keeper who would paper over the cracks with the odd wonder save here and there. Going to venture into the Euro thread, sounds fun.

Wilbur

Banned
Given us overrated. Has been for years. His best years were at Newcastle, but even then he was a keeper who would paper over the cracks with the odd wonder save here and there. Going to venture into the Euro thread, sounds fun.

The old Reina

Is that Keane mouth?

Yes, we are finally liberated and can fantasize about Keane now that Jeff is not here to oppress us.

Yenrot is posting some quality stuff there. :lol

Splatt

IMO, British players in general are overrated, but I'm confident of Given's quality.

Given isn't world class(wasn't even in his prime) but he's a reliable keeper with, as you said, an odd wonder save here and there.

He was excellent against Spain, even though Ireland lost 4:0.

Wessiej

So Arsenal wants to buy Van der Wiel? Bwhawhahahahahaha,

Wait wait,.....hahhhahahaha. Please do it, I will bring him on my bike.

elsk

Banned
Bayern-Guardiola story by SportBild:

- Christian Nerlinger, Bayern sporting director, met with Guardiola's representative/agent (who is also his brother).

- The meeting between Bayern and the representative/brother of Guardiola was in the final of the Copa del Rey.

- Guardiola expressed his interest in exploring the topic and the possibility of coaching Bayern Munich.

Hixx

IMO, British players in general are overrated, but I'm confident of Given's quality.

Given isn't world class(wasn't even in his prime) but he's a reliable keeper with, as you said, an odd wonder save here and there.

He should have saved Torres' first goal and basically gifted Silva his goal...

Yen

Given isn't British.

PaulLFC

After tonight I think it's official - Mark Bright is the worst pundit in the history of punditry. "It's last minute .com" - shut up you utter bellend.

Clegg

Given was injured coming into the Euros. He still played pretty poorly but I'll wait until next season before writing him off completely. He was never world class but I've always felt that he was one of the better keepers in the PL.

And is it just me or were Italy pretty poor against us? Pirlo had a rough night too. I feel a bit bad for Keith Andrews. He's been our hardest worker during the Euros, its a shame he was sent off.

FootballFan

Kinda random post but putting it here, staying out of Euro thread for a while lol.

Chelsea play 10-0-1 formation counter-attack. =
People complain =
"lol bitter!" "Salty tears!" "It gets the result"

Spain pass around whole game. =
People complain. =
"It's beautiful!" "it gets the result!"

Fact is, both ways can get teams results. And the same people that say stuff like Salty! Bitter! etc are the same ones that complain about the opposite tactics.

I personally don't care how a team plays as long as they aren't just out there trying to slide-tackle and break peoples legs. Of course I prefer the Barca style but it's good that teams of inferior quality(like Real Madrid or Stoke) can give big teams challenges by counter-attacking or defending. Otherwise the sport would be way too predictable.

Arnie

The old Reina
This season, aye. Although the difference in Reina's abilities correlate with how deep our back line is playing. With us likely to be playing a much higher line next season, and Reina being used as more of a sweeper I expect his performances to pick up.

Kinda random post but putting it here, staying out of Euro thread for a while lol.

Chelsea play 10-0-1 formation counter-attack. =
People complain =
"lol bitter!" "Salty tears!" "It gets the result"

Spain pass around whole game. =
People complain. =
"It's beautiful!" "it gets the result!"

Fact is, both ways can get teams results. And the same people that say stuff like Salty! Bitter! etc are the same ones that complain about the opposite tactics.

I personally don't care how a team plays as long as they aren't just out there trying to slide-tackle and break peoples legs. Of course I prefer the Barca style but it's good that teams of inferior quality(like Real Madrid or Stoke) can give big teams challenges by counter-attacking or defending. Otherwise the sport would be way too predictable.
I think the difference is the Chelsea approach isn't a tactic they live and die by. It's brought out for special occasions when we're out classed. People defend Chelsea's style in the Barcelona / Bayern game because there was no other way.

The Spain / Barca game plan however is just them through and through and I think it grates on people because that's all we ever see of them.

Maybe not, but that's what I think.

Yes. It was no doubt onside. Some people in the euro thread really needs to learn the fucking offside rule, was the same shit as with Bendtner the other day.

How was the scorer not deemed to be active when iniesta received the ball? Surely he was active and thus offside. You don't have to touch the original pass to be active.
Or has that rule changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom