• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

I think some of you guys would shit bricks if you learned how expensive it was to attend sporting events in America.

Many college football teams cost $300-500 for season tickets (6-7 home games) and can require hundreds or thousands of dollars in donations to even be eligible to buy them (after sitting on a waiting list). And that's not even a pro sport! Lol.

And I don't think you're getting anywhere close to that price for big name schools in big conferences and non-nosebleed seats.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
regulus, whats the general opinion on cruz azuls new coach?
Memo Vázquez is a great coach but I don't know if he will be able to control the veterans and stars at Cruz Azul. He already led Pumas to a title, but the moment his old guard started phasing out the team went to shambles, thanks mainly due to a "no-purchasing-players" policy at Pumas. The latter shouldn't be a problem for the blue team though.

You should ask Verano about this. He's more well-versed in Cruz Azul matters than I am.

bjaelke

So any left footed player that has gone top right has always scored. Am I reading that correctly?

Yes.

Some other stats:
An overall success rate of 75.22 per cent, or 258 goals scored from 343 kicks.
Not much all-time difference between feet (73.13 per cent success for left-footers, and 75.72 per cent for right) but a big deterioration in left-foot success over time.
Strikers have the best conversion rate (85.52 per cent) with defenders (70.79 per cent) and midfielders (70.67 per cent) virtually the same.
A significantly higher success rate for younger players age 18-24 (79 per cent) and older players aged 31-plus (82 per cent) than ‘peak year’ players aged 25-30 (71.5 per cent).
A significant drop-off in success as pressure grows, with success rates dropping from 80 per cent for the first kicks per team to a low of 63 per cent for the fourth kicks.
A huge difference in success rate in different placements, with 91 per cent of kicks aimed high and right being scored, but as few as 55 cent when hit high and middle.
how are kicks that miss the target counted?
They're not. You can read the full article here: http://www.sportingintelligence.com...g-a-major-tournament-penalty-shootout-210501/

dschalter

Penalties-placement.jpg

how are kicks that miss the target counted?

Wessiej

ive-made-a-huge-mistake.gif

Holy balls fuck what where am I. When I booked my vacation I did not do a good check on the Euro-scheme. AND NOW IM IN THE FUCKING AIRPLANE WHEN HOLLAND-DENMARK IS ON.

*suicidewatch

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
regulus, whats the general opinion on cruz azuls new coach?

he's won a title with Pumas UNAM back in 2011 and he was sacked from Pumas recently due to poor results. but thats due to lack of purchasing experienced reinforcements and fielding youths.

overall I think with him as our coach, he should work wonders especially our problematic midfield if the CA higher ups gives him enough freedom to do so. I do hope he gets rid of Omar Bravo and several others in our defense and buys quality players that he deems fit for cruz azul

Anyways, what a match by Mexico. They suffered greatly due to Mexico's coach tena, infamously known to making stupid experimental tactics that cripples Mexico overall.
Also, why isn't Marco fabian in europe yet? he single handedly saved our asses with his crucial hat trick to give Mexico the win over dirty Moroccans and the supremely abysmal refereeing from that Japanese ref.

ATF487

That is pretty crazy. On the flip side though, I once paid the equivalent of £3 to watch a Toronto Blue Jays vs Boston Red Sox baseball game. I know it's only baseball but.. it's still a full evening out for a top level game in the sport and at a fantastic stadium for so little money. And for what it's worth I enjoyed watching the sport itself so much that for £3 I went back and watched it a second time a few nights later.

The problem with the price of football is the sports origins have always been with the working classes. Football used to be the recreation of the every man and it just isn't anymore. Too many people have been priced out of the game over the last 20 years.

Baseball tickets can be pretty cheap at times, even at places like Fenway. I went to a game for the equivalent of 8 pounds or so the other day, merely because I wanted to see what kind of view I'd be getting for the Liverpool/Roma game. Turns out the standing room area isn't that bad, and I get a dedicated concession area. Ace.

I was talking about this the other day; I'm not sure what I really prefer. I feel like here in the US, top level sports are really expensive (especially in my market), but tickets for minor league games or stuff like MLS can be really affordable, while it looks like prices don't drop off as heavily for Championship/League 1 teams. I want to live in England one day but I don't know if I could afford to attend games as often as I'd want, unless I'd have a Conference team nearby...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
he's won a title with Pumas UNAM back in 2011 and he was sacked from Pumas recently due to poor results. but thats due to lack of purchasing experienced reinforcements and fielding youths.
He wasn't sacked, he just didn't wish to renew his contract. Pumas tried hard to keep him at the club.
Anyways, what a match by Mexico. They suffered greatly due to Mexico's coach tena, infamously known to making stupid experimental tactics that cripples Mexico overall.
They played according to Chepo's book though. The formation was always 4-2-3-1, and they played precisely the same way the senior team does. The problem was that the defence was patched up: Enríquez was playing out of position and Mier is the glue that keeps the defence together. He couldn't start because he just arrived to France last night after his participation in the Mexican final.
Also, why isn't Marco fabian in europe yet? he single handedly saved our asses with his crucial hat trick to give Mexico the win over dirty Moroccans and the supremely abysmal refereeing from that Japanese ref.
Vergara (Chivas' owner) asks for a lot of money. I wouldn't doubt it if Marco Fabián goes to Spain or France after the Olympics.

I wouldn't have a problem with Martinez at the club. He gets results with what he is given. With a bigger budget could he build a better team? That is the biggest mystery, but he gets his team playing the way he wants to play despite the fact they are in the bottom half of the table. They aren't avoiding relegation by being defensive.

PaulLFC

Hopefully Martinez goes to Villa and then we bring in Rafa [/dreaming]. Gerrard on Benitez:

AtrbpyvCQAATLWE.jpg:large

I think that puts to bed the rumours that him and Carra don't like Rafa.

I have no doubt that if we do end up bringing Rafa back, we'll be in the Champions League within two seasons, maybe even this next season.

dc89

#mcfc have launched a £12million + Kolarov bid for Barcelona and Brazil right-back Dani Alves. Schalke also considering a bid. [Sport.es]

faridmon

I wouldn't have a problem with Martinez at the club. He gets results with what he is given. With a bigger budget could he build a better team? That is the biggest mystery, but he gets his team playing the way he wants to play despite the fact they are in the bottom half of the table. They aren't avoiding relegation by being defensive.

I was just joking. I agree that he would be a senseble manager to team that is latgely better than Wigan. And that means, the youngsters will devolop much better under a manager that could take advanatge of their strength and, at the same time, motivate them to have fun, and that is very important to succeed.

faridmon and legoarmo are my new favourite posters as they talk sense

oh and thewednesday/matc but hes almost always been my favourite

yenrot is my new worst poster and from here on out my arch nemesis #2 in football gaf because he dislikes sunderland
bring a latex suit, cape optional, out on the green on monday nights

Sucks that I'm not a 'big poster'

This big club bollocks has always annoyed me and the attitude that goes along with it sometimes from their fans, like saying 'the Liverpool way' or 'the west ham way' etc

I'm happy to support my home town small team (a proper team like the Sunderlands of the world - at least we were) and always will even if I have to take a sabattical from Ewood until the owners give the club back

Then again we won the league and have been in Europe so we must be massive club

Verano

He wasn't sacked, he just didn't wish to renew his contract. Pumas tried hard to keep him at the club.

They played according to Chepo's book though. The formation was always 4-2-3-1, and they played precisely the same way the senior team does. The problem was that the defence was patched up: Enríquez was playing out of position and Mier is the glue that keeps the defence together. He couldn't start because he just arrived to France last night after his participation in the Mexican final.

Vergara (Chivas' owner) asks for a lot of money. I wouldn't doubt it if Marco Fabián goes to Spain or France after the Olympics.

they did NOT play that formation today. We had 3 on the back most of the time. Shit even Aquino moved back to compensate for the slow reaction of our backline had just to stop counters faster. IDK why chaton was being used as a CB but that costs us goals. reyes and Araujo were playing a bit forward which they shouldn't even do against euro teams.

This big club bollocks has always annoyed me and the attitude that goes along with it sometimes from their fans, like saying 'the Liverpool way' or 'the west ham way' etc

I'm happy to support my home town small team (a proper team like the Sunderlands of the world - at least we were) and always will even if I have to take a sabattical from Ewood until the owners give the club back

We must be one of the biggest clubs in England with the European Trophy we have. Also, fwiw, Blackburn is higher in the UEFA Club coefficient than Villa :/

Meier

Price wise, he's near the top though. They reckon he's worth £40 million. Belhanda who is apparently our fall back if Hazard doesn't sign is listed as £15.. probably more realistic than the £7 (or £8?) that was being tossed around when that story came out a week or two ago. Iker Muniain is only listed at £20 million. I'd be all for that.

Interesting, they mention Roma as a possibility for Clint. Hadn't heard that rumor before.

Talon

Would Barca let Alves go? Dude's one of the top assist men on that team.

I'm interested to see if they do land Bale. Bale and Alves going up the field on both ends would be...interesting.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
they did NOT play that formation today. We had 3 on the back most of the time. Shit even Aquino moved back to compensate for the slow reaction of our backline had just to stop counters faster. IDK why chaton was being used as a CB but that costs us goals. reyes and Araujo were playing a bit forward which they shouldn't even do against euro teams.
The absence of Mier seems to be the case. I'm not that worried for Saturday because of that. Well, except Liborio. Fucking Liborio.

Here are the goals anyway. I find it funny how the cars on the side start driving slowly when they see a counter coming on.

faridmon

Would Barca let Alves go? Dude's one of the top assist men on that team.

I'm interested to see if they do land Bale. Bale and Alves going up the field on both ends would be...interesting.

Isn't Bale more of a subsitute player for Abidal rather than being a replacement for Dani Alves?
We beat Bayern Munich to win the European Cup!
ibeviFp93AfBjK.gif

Meh, Semantics we are ahead of you in the coafficents anyway.

Meier

Marco Fabian's goals in the friendly versus Barca last year were fantastic. I'm surprised he has not moved to Europe as well.

Also, that Guardian list has Bale rated at £50 million -- highest price on there.

Verano

Marco Fabian's goals in the friendly versus Barca last year were fantastic. I'm surprised he has not moved to Europe as well.

Also, that Guardian list has Bale rated at £50 million -- highest price on there.

thats what Im sayin. Dude's a work horse and fights endlessly to get the ball movin forward and get it behind the net.

Hixx

To be fair Jeffrey my favourite posters change about 500 times a day.

Also the West Ham way is hilarious. What the FUCK is the West Ham way? To be fair to West Ham supporters, the media don't half make it hard to like their club with the way they go on. Blackburn are a big club. Spent most of their time in the top league and will be back when the Venky's fuck off.

joey-barton-badge-kiss-300x225.jpg

27D69586-08CA-F131-24001F18086FA221.jpg

Forza magpies!

I don't hate Sunderland

Sneijder-v-Juve.jpg

Torino-v-Juventus.jpg

i have no idea what im doing

Rad-

Eden Hazard: "I am pleased to be able to play in my best position behind the striker, as a no.10, with Belgium."

And earlier he said his decision will focus on his playing position. United won't be playing him as a number 10, Chelsea needs a number 10 and City could make him a number 10 but there's plenty of competition for the spot. Chelsea has a nice chance of Hazard now I reckon.

faridmon

Landon Donovan said:
I would absolutely like to come back. There's no question about that, and I know I will be back at some point. Now, whether I'm back as a player or just as a fan, who knows?

Obviously a big part of it too is whether David Moyes wants me. There is a lot of factors that go into it. I don't see it as a foregone conclusion that 1: I'll be physically okay to go, 2: the Galaxy would let me go, and 3: that Everton would want me. You have to make sure all of those aligned and if it all works out then it works out and if not then it doesn't.
BUY DONVAN FFS KENWORTH. HE WANTS TO BE BACK.

True :( Our UEFA coefficient is terrible.
I wonder. Does the lague position have an effect on the coefiecent or is it the amount of wins in European games a team have? If its the former, Blame McLeish, if its later, blame Martin O'Neil.... and McLeish.

K1LLER7

And earlier he said his decision will focus on his playing position. United won't be playing him as a number 10, Chelsea needs a number 10 and City could make him a number 10 but there's plenty of competition for the spot. Chelsea has a nice chance of Hazard now I reckon.
Isn't Mata Chelsea's No.10? Playing behind the striker.

Empty

eh, i always figured we were in for him to play as a number 10 behind rooney in a 4-2-3-1 (or 4-1-3-2), hence the move to a pace based atttack, as we certainly have no need to spend the thirty million otherwise. if fergie can sell him on being united's star central playmaker we might actually beat out the higher wages chelsea and city can afford to offer.

Wilbur

Banned
Is Chapter 6 the (location 'spoiler')
dock/boat
one? If so I didn't really like that level, but I think that's the last level I didn't really like.

The one after that,
in Branco's building. Max looks his best with suit and beard, the building on fire, and then after that he goes loco in the favelas... gets awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom