• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

I don't see Spain winning it again without David Villa. He's so underrated :/

He's probably been the best striker in the world for the last 5 years.

I don't think he's underrated at all. He just wasn't as visible because he played for clubs in Spain that weren't Barca or Real

Clegg

But that would force Rooney as the sole forward and give no playing time whatsoever to Hernandez and Welbeck. Unless Ferguson wants to move some of the strikers to wings.

There would still be plenty of rotation in the side. Thats what SAF does.

We've heard that he's looking to develop a side that is much quicker in attack.

He probably sees Hazard as a player capable of fitting into that system.

Everyone knows that United lack creativity through the middle. SAF wouldn't spunk over £30m on a player and then play him out of position.

He made that mistake with Veron.

Wilbur

Banned
But that would force Rooney as the sole forward and give no playing time whatsoever to Hernandez and Welbeck. Unless Ferguson wants to move some of the strikers to wings.

Hernandez can only play up front, he's obviously not a very good footballer otherwise. Welbeck can play on either flank though.

And yeah, Ireland won't make it through their group but I think they could beat either Italy or Croatia. Just don't see them being good enough to beat both of them and make it through.

http://youtu.be/w_aRKeDfqYo
2QnAy.gif
2QnAy.gif
2QnAy.gif

Nice new avatar, Tim Schafer JR.

The great thing about Ireland is that almost anything will defy expectations.

Ireland looked dreadful the two times they played Russia in qualifying. Their midfield especially seemed outmatched. If they steal a point off Croatia in the first match I think they will have already overachieved.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
No chance for Italy. Unless Prandelli decides to switch to a 3-5-2 and use our defense and midfield.
O1ZnW.gif

Clegg said:
He's probably been the best striker in the world for the last 5 years.

I don't think he's underrated at all. He just wasn't as visible because he played for clubs in Spain that weren't Barca or Real

I meant with Spain!

rififi

It pains me to say it, but I agree that Spain probably won't win the Euros (or reach the final). Not just because they have some key players on injury, but simply because I don't think they are as motivated this time around having won the last Euro and the WC.

I think only the younger players will feel like they have something to prove, but they probably won't get as much playing time anyways.

I'd be very surprised if the winner isn't one of Spain, Germany or the Netherlands. After that, I'd say France, Italy and Portugal are strong. England and Croatia are slightly behind those three. And no one else stands much of a chance, although it is obviously not impossible (except for Ireland).

Can we all say happy birthday to Bob Dylan by the way today please, in light of Awesome Animal's pilfering of my avatar the least you can do is congratulate my one true love (sorry Yurt) for reaching 71.
I'm impressed he's lasted that long.

Also, @ Liverpool, Martinez picks. You realize that doesn't mean shit right? It was already reported he was meeting with FSG in Miami today.

JonnyBrad

Also, @ Liverpool, Martinez picks. You realize that doesn't mean shit right? It was already reported he was meeting with FSG in Miami today.

Dave Whelan has been providing a running commentary.

It is not stopping the Liverpool forums (RAWK etc) from shitting themselves however.

My choice is Van Gaal

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What's the story behind My Little Pony? I..don't get it.

-

2012%2f5%2fEngland-GK.jpg

2012%2f5%2fBuffon-Top(A).jpg

Best across all Europe :D

Neuer: 73%
ter Stegen: 78%
Valdes: 66%

Meier

Just saw that Guidetti may move to Swansea on a loan. I'd be good with that -- would be nice to let him cut his teeth in the PL and they could obviously use someone of his potential.

jtb

Banned

eh... these stats are misleading (well, the Xavi one at least). Xavi's more likely to be rested for the easy games and start games where they're likely to score less and concede more (Clasicos, for exmaple, or teams with a really tight defensive shape.) Same with the GK stats; teams like Barcelona or Arsenal, for example, concede very few shots, but those shots are going to have a much higher likelihood of going in, regardless of quality of GK (though having Almunia in goal never helps), since these teams pressure very high up the pitch, are vulnerable to the counter, etc.

that said, :lol at Motta. Inter really do not have their shit together. Are Sneijder and Milito still awful?

Clegg

I'm surprised that Arsenal haven't gone for Vertonghen. Koscielney and Vermaelen are decent defenders but Mertesacker is a disaster.

You'd think they'd be in the market for a good centre half.

Salvadora

I'm surprised that Arsenal haven't gone for Vertonghen. Koscielney and Vermaelen are decent defenders but Mertesacker isn't very good at all imo.

You'd think they'd be in the market for a good centre half.

We were rumoured to be interested earlier in the year. I think we'd be stupid to lose him to Tottenham considering we can offer CL football. I don't agree with you on Mertesacker, He was shite early in the season but got better as it went along. Shame about the injury.

Feorax

I'd be happy enough with Martinez. Think he's a good enough man manager and has the right philosophy.

DoF is the big appointment for us though. We know Segura and Borrell will likely be given more influence, and Ian Ayre will be dealing with the finances of buying/selling/negotiating, but DoF will be at the core of what could be one of the most important summers for us in a long time.

jtb

Banned
Who needs Vertonghen, let alone a world class center half, when you've got Squillaci!

fHt6x.gif
fHt6x.gif
fHt6x.gif

I like Mertesacker though; he's excellent at cutting out crosses and passes, is good positionally (unlike TV), and doesn't go forward too often... he makes a good partner for either Vermaelen or Koscielny, as they can go forward and compensate for his lack of pace.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
eh... these stats are misleading (well, the Xavi one at least). Xavi's more likely to be rested for the easy games and start games where they're likely to score less and concede more (Clasicos, for exmaple, or teams with a really tight defensive shape.) Same with the GK stats; teams like Barcelona or Arsenal, for example, concede very few shots, but those shots are going to have a much higher likelihood of going in, regardless of quality of GK (though having Almunia in goal never helps), since these teams pressure very high up the pitch, are vulnerable to the counter, etc.

that said, :lol at Motta. Inter really do not have their shit together. Are Sneijder and Milito still awful?

You're most likely right on Xavi!

All the top keepers conceded the same mount of shots (almost). For example, Valdes 92 compared to Buffon's 96.

Inter are all shit. ;)

elsk

Banned
I like Mertesacker though; he's excellent at cutting out crosses and passes, is good positionally (unlike TV), and doesn't go forward too often... he makes a good partner for either Vermaelen or Koscielny, as they can go forward and compensate for his lack of pace.

Yeah, that's what we do with Badstuber-Boateng.

jtb

Banned
the worst thing about Squillaci was that it was classic Wenger cheaping out... and he wasn't even cheap! 5m for a 30 year old, and he's on something like 60k/week. Fucking ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom