• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
If John Henry fu*ks up...

fG5Vv.jpg

United-GAF, play FM with me.

Let's assume we sign Hazard and Kagawa (lol I know, but it's fun!). That leaves us with the following "attacking" players who are at least decent/not old enough to be Wilbury's dad;

Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Nani, Valencia, Young, Hazard, Kagawa

Now let's assume we play 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1, basically, 4 of the above 8 play. That leaves 4 of the above players on the bench every week. Now Rooney playing every week is almost a certainty. So we've got 3 of the remaining 7 playing and 4 benched. It's most likely we'll see a fair bit of rotation through formations and players...but that just seems like we have one extra body, especially for players of that quality, or if not quality, than at least I don't see them being happy.

So...if somebody were to leave, who is it? All signs point to Nani IMO. Whilst this scenario will most likely never come about because we will probably only get one of Hazard/Kagawa...if we do manage to get both and have the summer of our lives...I see somebody leaving. If not in the summer, soon after. You can rule Welbeck + Hernandez out as they're the only other strikers...so it's one of the wingers. Young has just arrived, Fergie loves Valencia too much...and Nani is probably worth the most and is most likely to be unhappy. That would be a shame. And aside from him being unhappy...I really doubt we can finance both of those moves without some money coming in, Berbatov and some other fringe players will leave but not for much. Seems like Anderson's time could be over, but again, don't see us getting too much for him.

/transfermuppetryfix

elsk

Banned
I know, that's why it's a FM-like scenario.

You really dislike Man United btw don't you elsk?

As much as any Bayern fan. Still, I respect the team, unlike the sugar daddy teams like City, Chelsea.

I don't see how what I say could be related to my feelings about Man Utd. I would have said the same if it was about Bayern, I don't see the point in buying two top class players for one position, I would rather buy one and promote a youth player.

Wilbur

Banned

First of all, the jibe about my father is much appreciated because I texted him, waking him up, telling him he's an old fucking man. He told me to fuck off to bed. Wonderful.

Onto the United stuff: I think if anyone's going to leave it's Nani, you're right there... but Hazard's going Chelsea. I'm sure of it.

I will also fuck my pessimist mood into oblivion and say we're getting Kagawa. That leaves us in a 4-2-3-1 formation with...

Valencia/Nani/Young/Welbeck playing on the right
Rooney/Young/Kagawa in the centre
Young/Nani/Welbeck on the left
Rooney/Young/Welbeck/Hernandez up front.

Assuming Rooney starts all games, Kagawa will take a while to take to the physical side of things, so at first the rotation will be easy. For half a season it's simple, but after that I'd expect to see Nani - Kagawa - Valencia as de facto starters, with Welbeck able to fill in on both flanks and up front as well as Young across the board.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Every Thursday night since August, I have gone running while listening to the Guardian Football Weekly podcast. Until today. I have felt slightly off all day without it. What's the countdown to Europa League qualifying matches?

And have Americans heard about this Al Jazeera Horseshit? Launching new channel that has US rights to La Liga and Serie A. No more rolling out of bed to watch Serie A on Live on Sunday morning. Who knows what companies will carry this new channel.

As much as any Bayern fan. Still, I respect the team, unlike the sugar daddy teams like City, Chelsea.

I don't see how what I say could be related to my feelings about Man Utd. I would have said the same if it was about Bayern, I don't see the point in buying two top class players for one position, I would rather buy one and promote a youth player.
I agree with you, just in general I've sensed you're not a big fan!

Bayern fans in general dislike United? Over 99 in particular? Wouldn't be surprising, I'm not sure the feeling is mutual...but then we do have better memories of that game...

Wilbur

Banned
Every Thursday night since August, I have gone running while listening to the Guardian Football Weekly podcast. Until today. I have felt slightly off all day without it. What's the countdown to Europa League qualifying matches?

Late June I'd assume the first qualifying rounds start, unless they're put back because of the Euros

Fintan

And have Americans heard about this Al Jazeera Horseshit? Launching new channel that has US rights to La Liga and Serie A. No more rolling out of bed to watch Serie A on Live on Sunday morning. Who knows what companies will carry this new channel.

It's been weird not having Football Weekly. At least they'll be back during Euro 2012 with daily (I think) podcasts.

Fintan

Anybody watch Storage Wars? I finally got a HD cable box and it's all I watch on it and I don't know why. It's weirdly addictive.

Ashes

Banned

Let's assume we sign Hazard and Kagawa (lol I know, but it's fun!). That leaves us with the following "attacking" players who are at least decent/not old enough to be Wilbury's dad;

Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Nani, Valencia, Young, Hazard, Kagawa

Now let's assume we play 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1, basically, 4 of the above 8 play. That leaves 4 of the above players on the bench every week. Now Rooney playing every week is almost a certainty. So we've got 3 of the remaining 7 playing and 4 benched. It's most likely we'll see a fair bit of rotation through formations and players...but that just seems like we have one extra body, especially for players of that quality, or if not quality, than at least I don't see them being happy.

So...if somebody were to leave, who is it? All signs point to Nani IMO. Whilst this scenario will most likely never come about because we will probably only get one of Hazard/Kagawa...if we do manage to get both and have the summer of our lives...I see somebody leaving. If not in the summer, soon after. You can rule Welbeck + Hernandez out as they're the only other strikers...so it's one of the wingers. Young has just arrived, Fergie loves Valencia too much...and Nani is probably worth the most and is most likely to be unhappy. That would be a shame. And aside from him being unhappy...I really doubt we can finance both of those moves without some money coming in, Berbatov and some other fringe players will leave but not for much. Seems like Anderson's time could be over, but again, don't see us getting too much for him.

/transfermuppetryfix

With all due respect, that's crap. Because we have Giggs and Park right now. And Fergie likes having 4 forwards. And with all that we struggled this season to have a first 11 lineup.

Its a dream to have every player fit and playing in their positions. Unless, united miraculously change their injury list, I doubt we'll see anything happening with the ones in form. Park and Giggs on the other hand, look to be going out of favour.

edit: Nani and young fight for the left, Valencia has virtually no competition. Neither does Rooney. I say get in more blood.

Guys guys, euro fantasy league!

Fantasy instructions
1. Sign up here - http://en.euro2012fantasy.uefa.com/
2. Pick your squad (the players selected % is a good assistant - check out who is getting picked)
3. Click leagues tab
4. Click join a league
5. Click private league
6. Click next
7. 121901-28627 is the classic ladder league
124143-29051 is the H2H league
8. Update your team before right before the tourney starts and regularly check to ensure you maximise points.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38177359&postcount=720

Anybody watch Storage Wars? I finally got a HD cable box and it's all I watch on it and I don't know why. It's weirdly addictive.

Never seen it. But listened to the bombcast and they constantly talk about it, so much that I always wanted to try and see what it was all about.

With all due respect, that's crap. Because we have Giggs and Park right now. And Fergie likes having 4 forwards. And with all that we struggled this season to have a first 11 lineup.

Its a dream to have every player fit and playing in their positions. Unless, united miraculously change their injury list, I doubt we'll see anything happening with the ones in form. Park and Giggs on the other hand, look to be going out of favour.
Of course, but don't you think Giggs and Park are much "happier" being on the bench compared to the players listed? Giggs is just a case of age and he knows he can't play many games...Park himself looks like he could be leaving and hardly played this season.

jtb

Banned

I'm ambivalent. Al Jazeera English has been available for free for ages (presumably since they haven't been picked up by any major cable providers yet) online. Frankly, I fucking love Al Jazeera news; given ESPN's coverage has been pretty spotty and I really only watch football on ESPN through EPSN3 via my ISP, and how aggressive Al Jazeera is being, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried a similar streaming-heavy approach. Not to mention the majority of America is made up of jingoistic, xenophobic Islamaphobes, so I can see Al Jazeera continuing to stream tons of stuff online.

That's the hope at least.

Ashes

Banned
Of course, but don't you think Giggs and Park are much "happier" being on the bench compared to the players listed? Giggs is just a case of age and he knows he can't play many games...Park himself looks like he could be leaving and hardly played this season.

Added edit: Nani and young fight for the left, Valencia has virtually no competition. Neither does Rooney. I say get in more blood.

Park may leave. Giggs has to be in his last gasp season. Kagawa can play the no.10 and on the wing. Hazard is a winger who comes in field. And it's very unlikely we get both.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm ambivalent. Al Jazeera English has been available for free for ages (presumably since they haven't been picked up by any major cable providers yet) online. Frankly, I fucking love Al Jazeera news; given ESPN's coverage has been pretty spotty and I really only watch football on ESPN through EPSN3 via my ISP, and how aggressive Al Jazeera is being, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried a similar streaming-heavy approach. Not to mention the majority of America is made up of jingoistic, xenophobic Islamaphobes, so I can see Al Jazeera continuing to stream tons of stuff online.

That's the hope at least.

If beIN Sports isn't offered in the same package as GolTV or FSC then I simply won't watch those leagues. I won't be switching providers for them.

Fintan

Yuuuuuuuup! It's so good.

Do you ever wonder how much money they actually make off the stuff? I know they have some knowledge about the stuff, but I find it funny how they just throw out prices for things. "That's at least 100 bucks" etc.

So apparently we've bid £13.5m for Kagawa. A reasonable opening bid IMO. Will be rejected but hopefully Dortmund meet us halfway from their demand. They said they wanted 20m Euro which is £16m. Not too far off.

Wilbur

Banned
So apparently we've bid £13.5m for Kagawa. A reasonable opening bid IMO. Will be rejected but hopefully Dortmund meet us halfway from their demand. They said they wanted 20m Euro which is £16m. Not too far off.

15m would be a fucking fantastic price.

Just joined the Euro fantasy league as well. My team:

Lloris, Sifakis
Chiellini, Alba, Coentrao, Piszczek, Debuchy
Marchisio, Ozil, Krohn-Delhi, Srna, Coleman
Lewandowski, Muller, Keane

15m would be a fucking fantastic price.

Just joined the Euro fantasy league as well. My team:

Lloris, Sifakis
Chiellini, Alba, Coentrao, Piszczek, Debuchy
Marchisio, Ozil, Krohn-Delhi, Srna, Coleman
Lewandowski, Muller, Keane
It would be a great price. I still think he is a back-up for Hazard, which is a shame.

Is the code for it in the Euro's thread?

K1LLER7

it was going around earlier and people were saying it was already rejected. I'm guessing 18-20m at most. Not seen too much of him, but can't kagawa play in a deeper role, similar to cleverly/carrick/scholes? wouldn't be suprised if fergie tried this if we get him.

it was going around earlier and people were saying it was already rejected. I'm guessing 18-20m at most. Not seen too much of him, but can't kagawa play in a deeper role, similar to cleverly/carrick/scholes? wouldn't be suprised if fergie tried this if we get him.
Yeah it has been rejected, but I think it's a smart opening bid.

I haven't seen loads from him but the BVB fans here suggest he is easily best in CAM and not great elsewhere. I agree though, won't surprise me in the slightest if Fergie puts him in CM.

Zabojnik

What's the logic behind that? I would rather we spend 40 on a single striker than spend 28 + a Padoin and [insert useless winger].

I have no idea. Especially if Marotta's confident he'll manage to sell Melo (8-10M€), Krasic (8M€), Elia (6-7M€) and Ziegler (3-4M€?). If not now, when?!

Unbelievable foresight. Imagine if you were the reason Nicklas Bendtner signed for your club, imagine the shame...

I ... I don't have to. I did it for Iaquinta, when he was still at Udinese. *ivemadeahugemistake.gif*

K1LLER7

Yeah it has been rejected, but I think it's a smart opening bid.

I haven't seen loads from him but the BVB fans here suggest he is easily best in CAM and not great elsewhere. I agree though, won't surprise me in the slightest if Fergie puts him in CM.

if we sign them both I'm hoping he does, it'll allow hazard to play behind the striker. Hopefully we sign at least one of them, but then again missing Kagawa for such a low price would hurt.

^ Big man jermaine lol

Wayne Veysey said that yesterday morning on twitter. People should follow this guy. He manages to get an awful lot of solid info. Greg Stobart as well. I know they work for Goal.com, which is widely seen as a joke, but the site became so big they actually went out and hired a few decent journalists, i.e. these two guys.

I wish Vertonghen would hurry up and sign. You never know whether some other team are going to suddenly decide they need a centre half and make things difficult.

MPW

*calls uncle perez*

madrid bids 25m

transfer hijacked! :p

In the past ten years, four different German clubs - Bayern, Bremen, Dortmund and Leverkusen - have reached five major finals... and lost them all. During that same span, the national team have reached two major finals... and lost both. That makes seven losses in seven finals in ten years.

facing german club or nt in the final = champions!!!!!!

Wayne Veysey said that yesterday morning on twitter. People should follow this guy. He manages to get an awful lot of solid info. Greg Stobart as well. I know they work for Goal.com, which is widely seen as a joke, but the site became so big they actually went out and hired a few decent journalists, i.e. these two guys.

I wish Vertonghen would hurry up and sign. You never know whether some other team are going to suddenly decide they need a centre half and make things difficult.
Yep you're right. Veysey has got a few things wrong in the past but is increasingly more and more accurate. Stobart is solid.

They're Goal.com's two leading sources and they're just as (if not more) credible than 90% of the other journo's who churn stories out...

Gotta say i'm surprised Spurs are getting Vertonghen despite the lack of CL football. Done very well to convince him Spurs is the right club for him and one of the two signings which will be massive for Spurs this summer. Get a top striker in and Spurs are in a great position to push for the Top 4 again. (Assuming you keep Modric of course...but even if he's solid, it'll be for a lot of money which can be reinvested...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom