• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
8gxKz.jpg

Slizz

Man I really dislike footballers FB pages when they are run by givemefootball.com. A good number of United players use this for their profile and they always post some outrageous shit.

EXAMPLE:

Right now VDS, Giggs, Anderson, Young just posted about how United are targeting and focusing in on nabbing Kevin Prince.....

It's like just stop, the odds that happens is just ridiculous and I haven't heard any inkling of Prince linked with United at all.

rodvik

Anyway I told my wife I don't want my baby being born in this country and that we are leaving.

Are you from England or somewhere else? Just curious.

But I feel your pain. I moved from England because I was tired of everything just being HARD. Shops closed just when you get off work, all items have the "rip off Britain" mark up, everything takes a fucking line or some kind of extra paperwork that they simply "must" have.

On the plus side. Government services are of good quality (dont believe me, travel more). Finally living in an English Village is something I sorely miss and I think my kids are missing out on. Its probably one of the best lifestyles in the world, town and city life is a different matter though.

Wales is pretty great. Free prescriptions, great scenery.

Just don't ask for a bag with your shopping...

Oh the BAG thing. When we went back with the missus & kids they didnt give us a bag with our groceries. My wife just stared at them dumfounded then blurted out "Are you fucking kidding me?" Was amusing :)

rififi

Are Barca the best team in the world? I'd like to hear opinions on both sides to this

Within the past several years and this season, yes. No one can honestly say otherwise, even people who hate Barca or Madridistas like myself still know, deep down, that they are the best team right now.

A more difficult question would be whether this current Barca team are the best side of all time. In my opinion, the greatest team of all time also has to be extremely influential in how the game is played, not just the team that wins the most trophies.
Personally, I think Ajax during the early 70's with Johan Cruyff is the greatest of all time. They brought a whole new tactic to football, and with Cruyff managing Barca during the late 80's/early 90's, eventually produced the type of football Barca play today (the "tiki-taka" style used by both Spain for the past decade and by Barca).

Salvadora

But I feel your pain. I moved from England because I was tried of everything just being HARD. Shops closed just when you get off work, all items have the "rip off Britain" mark up, everything takes a fucking line or some kind of extra paperwork that they simply "must" have.

On the plus side. Government services are of good quality (dont believe me, travel more). Finally living in an English Village is something I sorely miss and I think my kids are missing out on. Its probably one of the best lifestyles in the world, town and city life is a different matter though.

The prices are insane! Nearly everything feels like a rip off.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Right now VDS, Giggs, Anderson, Young just posted about how United are targeting and focusing in on nabbing Kevin Prince.....

It's like just stop, the odds that happens is just ridiculous and I haven't heard any inkling of Prince linked with United at all.

6Kp2X.jpg

He's for sale I think.

fuenf

Reading up on HDTVs is the worst thing ever, spend 5h searching the web / forums and learned next to nothing (well except one thing: every TV apparently sucks) *frustrated*. Background: With the Euros and the Olympics coming up i decided against buying a Germany jersey and will put the money towards a new HDTV / HD channels instead (i currently have a crappy 32" Samsung without any HD Channels). Hope it will be worth it. :D

just needed to vent.

Outsanity

Gah, missed the living in London talk. I'm from the midlands but I'm studying in London and living right in the centre. Been pretty sick, not going to lie. Never ventured too far out of it though, been scary enough in the centre at times, so probably wouldn't want to.

Slizz

http://i.imgur.com/6Kp2X.jpg[IMG]

He's for sale I think.[/QUOTE]

We'll if thats the case, YES PLEASE.

Real don't really need his services and I would love to have him on United, great player, injured every so often but still.

[IMG]http://maxcdn.fooyoh.com/files/attach/images/1145/005/763/006/jq50ch.gif

Traffic warden sounds a right John Terry. If the line was faint though why didn't you take a picture as evidence?

We did. They said that's not their problem.

But I feel your pain. I moved from England because I was tired of everything just being HARD. Shops closed just when you get off work, all items have the "rip off Britain" mark up, everything takes a fucking line or some kind of extra paperwork that they simply "must" have.

Oh the BAG thing. When we went back with the missus & kids they didnt give us a bag with our groceries. My wife just stared at them dumfounded then blurted out "Are you fucking kidding me?" Was amusing :)

I'm from Miami, Florida. Move there because of my wife.

kharma45

Reading up on HDTVs is the worst thing ever, spend 5h searching the web / forums and learned next to nothing (well except one thing: every TV apparently sucks) *frustrated*. Background: With the Euros and the Olympics coming up i decided against buying a Germany jersey and will put the money towards a new HDTV / HD channels instead (i currently have a crappy 32" Samsung without any HD Channels). Hope it will be worth it. :D

just needed to vent.

Here's what you need to do. Decide on a budget and get the best Panasonic plasma you can with it, be it the ST, GT or VT model.

:)

It's not so bad with shopping because we usually just take the trolley back to the car and unload from there. It's more annoying when you're taking out fast food. Fucking McDonald's give you a small bag and burden you with your burger box. A slightly larger bag would fit both items in easily.

Also, Kharma is oh-so-right on TVs. Go plasma and you're usually good to go.

Salvadora

It's not so bad with shopping because we usually just take the trolley back to the car and unload from there. It's more annoying when you're taking out fast food. Fucking McDonald's give you a small bag and burden you with your burger box. A slightly smaller bag would fit both items in easily.

Its terrible because you can't even carry it.

Clegg

The first 30 minutes of the Barca/Bilbao match had some of the best football I've seen all season.

Shame that the seasons over now.

rififi

I'm from Miami, Florida. Move there because of my wife.

I used to live in Miami as well, unless you lived in South Beach, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, etc. then much of Miami is a shithole like many areas of London, except with a lot more sun (for reference I also used to live in a nice area of London - Blackheath - and later a bit northwest outside of London).

But I can understand your frustrations with London and England in general, but where would you consider going?

I used to live in Miami as well, unless you lived in South Beach, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, etc. then much of Miami is a shithole like many areas of London, except with a lot more sun (for reference I also used to live in a nice area of London - Blackheath - and later a bit northwest outside of London).

But I can understand your frustrations with London and England in general, but where would you consider going?

At the moment we are heading back to Miami temporary until I get my visa to go live in Japan.

rodvik

I lived on south beach. It was glorious :)

Yeah much of Miami is bloody awful though. I still remember my "jaunt" through Liberty City (this was back in 1990 maybe its better now). I feel lucky to be alive.

At the moment we are heading back to Miami temporary until I get my visa to go live in Japan.

Exciting! That will be an adventure!

fuenf

Here's what you need to do. Decide on a budget and get the best Panasonic plasma you can with it, be it the ST, GT or VT model.

:)

hehe thanks, i know they are supposed to be great but i would be in constant fear of burn-in / image retention problems. i'm a little bit paranoid with display related issues.

It's currently between these:

LG LM660 (http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/lg-42lm660t-review-50007644/)
Samsung UE40ES6710 (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40ES6710UXXU )
Philips 40 PFL 5507 // 42 PFL 6007 // 42 PFL 7606 (cant find any english links)

Still note sure about active vs passive 3d. I'll just do some window shopping in the coming days and then order the one i like online. ;)

PaulLFC

Okay, just got home. Any news on Martinez since Dave Whelan being a tit as usual and telling everyone he thinks he's got the job?

Slizz

hehe thanks, i know they are supposed to be great but i would be in constant fear of burn-in / image retention problems. i'm a little bit paranoid with display related issues.

Samsung UE40ES6710 (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40ES6710UXXU )

Still note sure about active vs passive 3d. I'll just do some window shopping in the coming days and then order the one i like online. ;)

All I know is of all the TV's my friends and I have bought, the Samsungs are always the best ones... Don't know model #'s just that they are Samsungs.

However I don't know how long they last as almost all of the TV's are under a year old

kharma45

Then don't forget backlight bleed, ghosting and clouding that LCD sets can get amongst other things, not to mention input lag on them too... :p

Burn-in now on a modern plasma is near impossible unless you try and do it on purpose. As for retention, it can happen but with my plasmas if it happens it usually is only visible if you've no input on the screen, and fades within a few minutes.

All I'll say is, read the reviews on the new Panasonic's like this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0079WKGKG/ - and see for yourself how good they are :)

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42st50b-p42st50-201203191731.htm

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pan...P65ST50B-50-Inch-3D-Plasma-TV_281/Review.html

Although if you're in a room with very high levels of ambient light an LCD may be the way to go.

MPW

di-CNEA.jpg

:bow Guardiola :bow.

This Copa victory also means that Tito's first official match as an head coach will probably be against Real Madrid in Super Copa.

578242_362070217189995_213722135358138_1005784_1250737186_n.jpg

still got more european cups and la liga trophies!

hope barca fans enjoyed pep's time @ barca cause i highly doubt they will be ever be this dominant

fuenf

All I know is of all the TV's my friends and I have bought, the Samsungs are always the best ones... Don't know model #'s just that they are Samsungs.

However I don't know how long they last as almost all of the TV's are under a year old

Yeah Samsungs are usually great. Guess cant go really wrong with any of these, planned to buy the Samsung but got tempted by the passive 3D TV's. I'll just see how they look in the store.

Then don't forget backlight bleed, ghosting and clouding that LCD sets can get amongst other things, not to mention input lag on them too... :p

Burn-in now on a modern plasma is near impossible unless you try and do it on purpose. As for retention, it can happen but with my plasmas if it happens it usually is only visible if you've no input on the screen, and fades within a few minutes.

All I'll say is, read the reviews on the new Panasonic's like this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0079WKGKG/ - and see for yourself how good they are :)

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42st50b-p42st50-201203191731.htm

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pan...P65ST50B-50-Inch-3D-Plasma-TV_281/Review.html

Although if you're in a room with very high levels of ambient light an LCD may be the way to go.

Thanks i'll add them to the list and look at them, but there's actually a lot of ambient light in my room so that is another concern.

I know about the LCD issues but at least they usually product related and not caused by misuse. I just came to the conclusion that there's just no perfect TV and all of them will have their strengths and weaknesses. So it's just an issue of what bothers me the most.

Messi

Thank you Pep!

Amazing preformance tonight by the whole team. So happy for the team.

Can anyone tell me what Busquets's tshirt said? he was wearing it after the game ended over his kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom