• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
You post about them WAY more than about your own team.

Don't think I do. Feel free to trawl my post history and count, though.

I post about them when it involves laughing about them as a direct result of benefitting us in return, such as it has this season, and I post about them laughing at the fact they just lost a play-off final less than an hour ago having previously lost to the promotion race to us.

That's kinda how football rivalry works. A little bit of lauding up your own team, a little bit of laughing at a big rival.

Feel free to add my Wednesday related transfer talk posts to your tally over the summer though.

IceCold

Lol Quaresma... Remember back in 04-05 when this guy was considered the more promising one between him and Ronaldo?

He was a beast during those days. He's dribbling skills and the way he scores goal with the outside of his foot is ridiculous. Basically he had a lot of flair to his game just like Ronaldo. His problem lies with his personality, dude is a twat. He also lost most of his confidence when he went to Inter. It's a damn shame.

Clegg

Yep, the problem is clubs themselves have led to that. Certain clubs/managers become very friendly with certain agents, they get a priority on the agent's clients and in turn pay nice agent's fee's or then insist of said agent's involvement in transfers. Jorge Mendes is of course that type of agent in the case of Man United (and Real Madrid too). Everyone is after a benefit of their own and that gives the agent a degree of power.

Would assume we raise the Kagawa bid soon enough. Probably to somewhere in between the original bid and their asking price. Seems like agreeing the fee is the only remaining stumbing block, would have thought we agreed terms with him a while ago.

We wouldn't have gotten Ronaldo, De Gea or Nani without getting the help of Mendes. Still don't like how dependent we are on him though.

Assuming the Kagawa stories are true then I'd imagine that United have already agreed personal terms with him. I don't think they'd bid for him otherwise.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
He was a beast during those days. He's dribbling skills and the way he scores goal with the outside of his foot is ridiculous. Basically he had a lot of flair to his game just like Ronaldo. His problem lies with his personality, dude is a twat. He also lost most of his confidence when he went to Inter. It's a damn shame.

Where did I hear this one before..

We wouldn't have gotten Ronaldo, De Gea or Nani without getting the help of Mendes. Still don't like how dependent we are on him though.

Assuming the Kagawa stories are true then I'd imagine that United have already agreed personal terms with him. I don't think they'd bid for him otherwise.
Yeah Mendes has been good to us on the whole. Only thing is he can suddenly become a very big problem for us anytime he wishes. He has a few of our players on his books and he can start making things difficult. Getting friendly to an agent is like signing a pact with the devil.

Yeah agreed on Kagawa. Seems most teams do that these days. Which is funny because it is against the laws, remember a few years ago "tapping up" was quite topical, now it's just accepted. Football really should tighten it's laws. Anyways, yeah reckon it's just a case of agreeing the fee with his club and dotting the i's and crossing the t's. No real competition for him at the moment.

Martin Kelly is a better right-back than Phil Jones imo

edit: don't know why I quoted that
They both look like twats IMO.

Agree though, Kelly is a better defender than Jones. Reckon Jones has more potential though, probably a better footballer too (though not that much better, that aspect of his game is vastly over-rated IMO).

Hate draws, makes me feel like I wasted my time.
Should've watched the Switzerland - Germany game, lol

This loss is probably a good thing because it might help to bring down the hype.
What's bad about it is that Löw took his testing too far and now can't even learn any lessons from it (like Götze in CM). He'll probably make the wrong decisions in terms of the final squad too.

Schürrle will stay because he managed to score that shitty goal while Draxler could be sent home.
Gündogan could be sent home too because he couldn't really leave any good impression when he was subbed in.
Höwedes is a better player than Boateng, but now he'll seem to be weak defensively and the final defense might include
ter Stegen will probably be sent home even though he's a better keeper than Zieler..

etc..

LegoArmo

tbf I think he's too good for the SPL, but I never like to see players I like go to Russia.

He's one of those players with so much talent, you think he should be doing bigger things, but you're not sure if he can do it week in, week out.

A payday in Russia is better than the chance of failing at a Premier League club, I guess.

He wants to move, I think, so we'll see what he does next in his career.

Clegg

I don't think any United fan would disagree with you RE: Jones at right back.

He is ok if you need him to play RB for a game or 2 but he's a better centre half.

fuenf

Höwedes is a better player than Boateng, but now he'll seem to be weak defensively and the final defense might include

Is it really about the individual quality, though? I mean thats why i prefer the Lahm-Boa-Bad-XXX defense, atleast they are used to playing together and know each other tendencies in and out.

They both look like twats IMO.

Agree though, Kelly is a better defender than Jones. Reckon Jones has more potential though, probably a better footballer too (though not that much better, that aspect of his game is vastly over-rated IMO).

I think people mistake Jones' technique for footballing ability a lot of the time. I think he'll go on to be a good defender with the inevitable right coaching, but at he looked a liability a few times last season to be bluntly honest (and completely non-bitter about him turning us down :p)

Kelly sometimes looks very awkward when in possession, but at the end of the day he normally puts the ball where he wants to and rarely makes big errors in terms of defensive positioning or play. He may have if he'd played as much as Jones, but I doubt it.

Then again, Jones needs to be acclimatised to the squad, and the feeling of playing for England, so he will find the gametime useful in those terms as well askeeping his fitness up for the Euros.

Kelly and Jones at centre-back in Euro 2016 anyone? :p

Carbonox

Any of y'all here from or been to Exeter? My mate is at Uni and we have been planning an extended weekend (to cover the two bank holidays as well) for me to get out of my town (near London). It's either to his in Exeter or to our friend who's in Eastbourne (OAP central apparently) on the coast.

Some thoughts on Exeter would be grand seeing as I know we have a ton of English guys here.

I think people mistake Jones' technique for footballing ability a lot of the time. I think he'll go on to be a good defender with the inevitable right coaching, but at he looked a liability a few times last season to be bluntly honest (and completely non-bitter about him turning us down :p)

Kelly sometimes looks very awkward when in possession, but at the end of the day he normally puts the ball where he wants to and rarely makes big errors in terms of defensive positioning or play. He may have if he'd played as much as Jones, but I doubt it.

Then again, Jones needs to be acclimatised to the squad, and the feeling of playing for England, so he will find the gametime useful in those terms as well askeeping his fitness up for the Euros.

Kelly and Jones at centre-back in Euro 2016 anyone? :p
In his first 2/3 months Jones was absolutey brilliant for us. Played well in so many games, CB and RB. I think he has consistency issues, which is natural for most young players. More than though I think he just has problems in decision making and focus, played too many games this season and I don't think he could handle having to play without making a single mistake, and that showed by the season's end. Still think he will be a great defender though, he has showed legitimate promise.

And no, because Smalling is better than both of them :)

Hmm that team is a bit suspect. But friendlies are about this I guess.
It shouldn't be at this stage. By now it should be fine tuning the side, making last minute decisions on certain players. This is just...a mish mash of average players.

In his first 2/3 months Jones was absolutey brilliant for us. Played well in so many games, CB and RB. I think he has consistency issues, which is natural for most young players. More than though I think he just has problems in decision making and focus, played too many games this season and I don't think he could handle having to play without making a single mistake, and that showed by the season's end. Still think he will be a great defender though, he has showed legitimate promise.

And no, because Smalling is better than both of them :)

Forgot about Smalling, I think he's better Jones and probably better than Kelly at centre-back. I say probably not because I've seen that Kelly is a great centre-back, but because I think he can be a very good one if we ever grow the balls to take a risk like that.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah Smalling's better than both. Jones was great up until Xmas but like Viva says he's tailed off a bit. Still so young though.

Forgot about Smalling, I think he's better Jones and probably better than Kelly at centre-back. I say probably not because I've seen that Kelly is a great centre-back, but because I think he can be a very good one if we ever grow the balls to take a risk like that.
Yeah Smalling is well ahead of Jones for me, at the minute. Plays very competently at RB too.

Surprised Kelly has never played CB, think it'd actually be better for him, very strong and tall, goes about his work very efficiently.

^ ok o_O

Is it really about the individual quality, though? I mean thats why i prefer the Lahm-Boa-Bad-XXX defense, atleast they are used to playing together and know each other tendencies in and out.

Boateng should have no business in the German CB. Even if he is used to playing together with Lahm and Badstuber. Löw dislikes fouls around the box and Boateng is fucking king of fouls around and in the box.
Putting Boateng on the right wing and Lahm on the left will hurt both, really.
I will burn a German flag if Hummels is going to be punished for his performance today.
3 or 4 of the goals today wouldn't have happened if Löw didn't put Götze in the CM and the unfit Merte in the CB (he couldn't win the important aerial duels even though he's 10-15 cm taller than the Swiss player, rofl).
It should still be
Lahm - Badstuber - Hummels (or other way round) - SOMEONE
And I don't care if that someone is Schmelzer, he did nothing today to prove he can perform well in the national team (with a lazy winger like Podolski).

Yeah Smalling is well ahead of Jones for me, at the minute. Plays very competently at RB too.

Surprised Kelly has never played CB, think it'd actually be better for him, very strong and tall, goes about his work very efficiently.

_51124906_carra.jpg

:p

I'd love to see Coates and Kelly at the back at some point. Neither comes close to Agger stepping out of defense, but on paper that's a pretty damn promising partnership. Aerial dominance, enough pace, decent passing, good positioning, good tacklers, good markers. Something for the Europa League/Carling Cup perhaps (lol)

Moobabe

Any of y'all here from or been to Exeter? My mate is at Uni and we have been planning an extended weekend (to cover the two bank holidays as well) for me to get out of my town (near London). It's either to his in Exeter or to our friend who's in Eastbourne (OAP central apparently) on the coast.

Some thoughts on Exeter would be grand seeing as I know we have a ton of English guys here.

Really nice place - a much smaller city than you might be used to as well. Also it's within train/driving distance of some lovely places out in the country or towards the coast. Thoroughly recommend it.

bryanee

God I hate Adrian Chiles, I'd love to kick him in the balls and watch him cry. Why cant ITV get some one else to host the football?

Clegg

Twitter is the worst thing to ever happen to transfer season. Shit is just made up on the fly, a journalist is duped into retweeting it and then you have a brand new transfer story without a shred of actual truth to it.

EG I'm just after reading that Arsenal have agreed a fee with Dortmund and will discuss personal terms with Kagawa in the next week. When the guy was asked about hoe he came about this info he just said that he "knew a lad in Germany."

Shits ridiculous.

Bumhead

Banned
God I hate Adrian Chiles, I'd love to kick him in the balls and watch him cry. Why cant ITV get some one else to host the football?

Because he's really funny and he's got some really good one liners and he's got a fat rubber face that people can relate to and oh, West Bromwich Albion..

Eh.

I can't stand him either, but I can't stand ITV in general. Their football coverage is abysmal.

Carbonox

Really nice place - a much smaller city than you might be used to as well. Also it's within train/driving distance of some lovely places out in the country or towards the coast. Thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks, the one thing I'm worried about mainly is price of an open return from London. Think it's like 80 quid apparently. Would that be the best way to do it or just buy a single on the day you're going, then buy a single on the day I'm returning?

Kenka

Die-Schweizer-Nati-schlaegt-Deutschland-5-3_monsterboard.jpg

Love ! Really proud about what those guys pulled. Of course today's Germany was shit but go on and score 5 goals to Hummels and ter Stegen... not easy. OK with Schmelzer and Podolski on the pitch, it was easy.

Nothing to see from Pololski, Khedira and Özil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom