• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alonso close to scoring from 2/3 up Spains own half of the pitch. Gotta do them long shots now, cause Premier Ass will deny you coming through.

fuenf

Ah now that the commentator mentions the focus on the high defensive line, i finally know what this game reminded me of: Bayern's defense under Van Gaal.

I know but he didnt help his case. I'd like to have Hummels and Badstuber as the CBs but considering Löw that seems improbable after this game :( Just dont want a Merte - Badi combo.
Yeah, me too.
- both goals went through the right wing (except for the huge chance just now that went through Schmelzer)
- both goals were result of sudden loss of possession in the midfield (because Götze has no business of playing there)
- Merte was at least 50% responsible for the second goal

/edit
WTF IS WRONG WITH HÖWEDES?!"?!?

Wessiej

Euro squad for Holland

GK
Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma), Michel Vorm (Swansea City).

DF
Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Wilfred Bouma (PSV), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (Málaga), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax), Jetro Willems (PSV).

Midfield
Mark van Bommel (AC Milan), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Stijn Schaars (Sporting Lissabon), Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale), Kevin Strootman (PSV), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur).

Forward
Ibrahim Afellay (Barcelona), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Luuk de Jong (FC Twente), Dirk Kuijt (Liverpool), Luciano Narsingh (SC Heerenveen), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern München).

rififi

Looks like Bayern is very serious about getting Javi Martínez, Nerlinger was in the Barcelona-Bilbao match yesterday. Looks like the "final" price is 23m and they want to sign him ASAP.

Would Javi Martinez be the first Spanish national to play (at least on a regular basis) for Bayern?

I guess this signing is becoming more and more likely, Bayern just won't back down - good for them, he is already a good player and has a lot of potential to become even better.

Would Bayern use him as a CDM or CB?

spidye

Would Javi Martinez be the first Spanish national to play (at least on a regular basis) for Bayern?

I guess this signing is becoming more and more likely, Bayern just won't back down - good for them, he is already a good player and has a lot of potential to become even better.

off the top of my head he's the first and bayern will most likely pair him with schweini as the second cdm if he really joins us.

Hey, Wessiej. How is Steve McClaren doing in Twente? I thought he had only just re signed with them and was doing well down there, but the medias are talking about him being a candidate for the Copenhagen job. :/

elsk

Banned

DM mostly, Gustavo is the only DM right now. Tymo level is dropping a lot because of his age, he looks slower and rubbish lately. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up selling Tymo (still unlikely).

In the CB department we have Badstuber, Boateng, van Buyten and now Dante is coming.

Is he (Javi) good as DM? Is he better as CB?

Rad-

Lol Quaresma... Remember back in 04-05 when this guy was considered the more promising one between him and Ronaldo?

fuenf

Yeah, me too.
- both goals went through the right wing (except for the huge chance just now that went through Schmelzer)
- both goals were result of sudden loss of possession in the midfield (because Götze has no business of playing there)
- Merte was at least 50% responsible for the second goal

/edit
WTF IS WRONG WITH HÖWEDES?!"?!?

You are right. I guess having Ter Stegen in goal doesnt help much either, he's a great keeper but as of now he just doesnt have the same presence as Neuer and i doubt he's doing much to organize / help the defensive .

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yesssssss! Being half-Huddersfield this was great. Brilliant shoot out.

Chelsea lost the Women's FA Cup today as well, also on pens.

rififi

Is he (Javi) good as DM? Is he better as CB?

He is naturally a DM, but was put as CB this season because he has the best defensive skills on his team. Even as CB though, he would still occasionally move upfield and get involved with offensive plays after intercepting a pass for instance. For Spain (both for the U-21s and the regular team) he plays as a midfielder.
Imo, if a team has a strong defensive line, it is more advantageous to use him in midfield as he can hold the game further upfield, distribute the ball well, has quite a bit of pace and good ball control for a 1.90 m defensive player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom