• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
There was nothing going on up the flanks. Our wingers have no idea how to play on the wing it seems. Our full backs were constantly looking up and finding no one there.

Baines did a good job I think but you're right; Downing drifts in so much because I think he's afraid of getting up the pitch and putting in a shite cross.

Don't know why we keep the ball though. As Barca prove its a form of defence. Excruciatingly poor second half, having not seen the first I'm exactly where I was at the start of this game: just pure ambivalence as to my feelings towards the national team.

WJD

Hodgson advocating long ball football is beautiful.

My team for France would be:

Johnson - Cahill - Lescott - Cole
Parker - Lampard
Johnson - Young - Ox
Welbeck

I'd maybe have Milner over Johnson but otherwise, that team makes far too much sense to actually happen.

FootballFan

Hodgson advocating long ball football is beautiful.

My team for France would be:

Johnson - Cahill - Lescott - Cole
Parker - Barry
Johnson - Lampard - Young
Welbeck

I'd rather play that(only changed yours a bit, would prefer Rooney in Lamps spot though). Why isn't Carrick in the squad, I know they play different positions and all but I would have picked Carrick over Walcott, Henderson and Downing at least.

danwarb

For 30 minutes England were alright, and there are a few decent players to come in yet, all is not lost.

We still have The Hump.

Meh, past England sides have had players that made you hope for something better. Ashley Young was the best player in that line up, says it all.

Although I will give credit to Young for taking on the responsibility of his role today, was letting players know if they made mistakes etc which as a United fan is good to see.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd maybe have Milner over Johnson but otherwise, that team makes far too much sense to actually happen.

I think Milner's only good when everyone else around him plays well. That's unlikely to happen with England haha.

I'd rather play that(only changed yours a bit, would prefer Rooney in Lamps spot though). Why isn't Carrick in the squad, I know they play different positions and all but I would have picked Carrick over Walcott, Henderson and Downing at least.

He'd be my first choice in the midfield, but he's retired from international selection.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Is he better than Crouch?

He isn't even better than Grant Holt. The commentators were saying Carroll had a good game but did he even have a shot on target? He missed a sitter early on, played one stupid ball across the face and that was it. He did more defending than anything else.

Hodgson isn't going to pick a team where the captain doesn't start.

That's why giving it to Gerrard was a mistake. He's been shit for a year and a half and he barely lasts 45 minutes for England any more.

K1LLER7

Carrick never usually gets picked, he was considered for the reserve squad and said he didn't want to go if he wasn't in the travelling squad. Not too much to ask when Henderson, and downing are included. They could've done with someone like him over the past couple of years.

rodvik

Ruthlessly efficient England go ahead then kill the game off.

Hodgsons football machine is going to brush aside all comers.

He isn't even better than Grant Holt. The commentators were saying Carroll had a good game but did he even have a shot on target? He missed a sitter early on, played one stupid ball across the face and that was it. He did more defending than anything else.

That's why giving it to Gerrard was a mistake. He's been shit for a year and a half and he barely lasts 45 minutes for England any more.

Hereto known as the Carroll fallacy: Does fuck all by any conceivable metric - everyone says he's great.

Timbuktu

It is weird that there seem to be more Liverpool players in this England squad than there's been for a long while, but they've had their worst season for while as well, correlation?

danwarb

It is weird that there seem to be more Liverpool players in this England squad than there's been for a long while, but they've had had such a nightmare of a season.
Probably for the same reason Roy brought Poulsen and Konchesky to Liverpool. That doesn't explain Downing and Carroll though.

Lightning

Banned
I feel really sorry for Hodgson here. He is on a highway to nothing as no side he picks is going to satisfy everyone, he has a severe lack of options, especially in midfield and upfront, with lots of players who think they are better than they really are. The only thing awaiting whoever is the England manager is criticism and ridicule as the national side are just not good enough. It's not the manager, it's the players are shit. Simple as that.

Clegg

I feel really sorry for Hodgson here. He is on a highway to nothing as no side he picks is going to satisfy everyone, he has a severe lack of options, especially in midfield and upfront, with lots of players who think they are better than they really are. The only thing awaiting whoever is the England manager is criticism and ridicule as the national side are just not good enough. It's not the manager, it's the players are shit. Simple as that.

Hodgson doesn't help himself by picking shite like Carroll and Milner.

Lightning said:

I ranted about this on the last page. Think most missed it so here it is again!

I turned the radio off. Even listening to it is boring me to tears. Would probably look better on one of the shitty stop-start streams I usually get here.

Same old England, people still wonder why even though the national football system hasn't changed for 3 to 4 decades in this country. The FA have no fucking idea except for how to preserve their outdated dinosaur selves for another 10 years. Why do Germany, Holland, Spain, France etc all win at tournaments and (mostly) look good in friendlies? Because they see something's wrong and change it. England go "yeah something's wrong, but if we change it football won't ever be the same! And that'd be bad!" or "We could change this, but really we're the problem. So we won't." -The FA.

In other words. You're completely right.

Hodgson doesn't help himself by picking shite like Carroll and Milner.

Exactly, there was no balance between attacking talent and hard graft. He picked players more on the basis of whether they worked hard in defence as opposed to whether they were any good going forwards.

danwarb

I think England can do well in spite of everything. Hodgson's football works best against superior opposition. England will set up to frustrate and counter.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's on ESPN, about half an hour long, so they're showing a lot of goals, but Ibra has been on like 8 times already.

He scored 28(-10) goals so it's only natural I guess.

I'll nominate:

iBWhcd5K24Zgf.gif

(I don't think it counts :()

Md5NE.gif

WILUC.gif

dfSoW.gif

Clegg

Exactly, there was no balance between attacking talent and hard graft. He picked players more on the basis of whether they worked hard in defence as opposed to whether they were any good going forwards.

His one good decision was deciding to play Ashley Young behind the striker.

He also learned that his midfield is shithouse.

Carrick must be laughing his tits off.

His one good decision was deciding to play Ashley Young behind the striker.

He also learned that his midfield is shithouse.

The balance between Parker and Gerrard looked good enough to begin with but it was short lived. Also, our wingers did our centre mids no favours. They were so often out of position and rarely provided an outlet when our centre mids were pressed. Just poor all round.

We badly need Wilshire back too.

Clegg

The balance between Parker and Gerrard looked good enough to begin with but it was short lived. Also, our wingers did our centre mids no favours. They were so often out of position and rarely provided an outlet when our centre mids were pressed. Just poor all round.

We badly need Wilshire back too.

Gerrard was exhausted by half time though.

I'm not sure how England can expect to perform well when their captain can't last an entire 90 minutes without his game falling to pieces.

K1LLER7

There was no movement or very little, so the only thing they tried was to hoof the ball out up field. Against a better opposition they'd have made the possession count.

Clegg

Keith Fahey has been ruled out of Euro 2012 due to injury.

Paul Green has been called up to replace him in the Irish squad.

Paul. Fucking. Green.

We are going to be manshamed.

Prison style.

rar

Phantast2k said:
Merte is horrid and should be sent home and Jantschke or some other proper wingback should come into the team.

mertesacker hasn't played since february, no way is he fit

mertesacker hasn't played since february, no way is he fit

I know, so wtf is he doing in the national team? But he's bad regardless of his form. If it wasn't for Friedrich we would've never made it into the semis in the 2010' WC.

EUPHOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom