• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

I know, so wtf is he doing in the national team? But he's bad regardless of his form. If it wasn't for Friedrich we would've never made it into the semis in the 2010' WC.

EUPHOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAA

But isnt it always they same? I mean there was the same discussion in 2010 about Friedrich or even Klose.

edit: not that i like Merte, i think that even when he's in form he souldnt be starting but whatever

I'm not getting the hype. The trailer really doesn't excite me. Do you need to be a fan to really get it? I'll watch it because Ridley Scott is awesome but not hyped or expecting great things.

Hixx

I think I may have to see Prometheus on opening day.

The hype is really getting to me now.

Ordered our tickets for the 9.30pm showing at the Metro centre. Excited as fuck. Spent most of today sitting in the garden with Kopparberg, pizza and discussing Alien and Prometheus. Great day.

Clegg

I'm not getting the hype. The trailer really doesn't excite me. Do you need to be a fan to really get it? I'll watch it because Ridley Scott is awesome but not hyped or expecting great things.

I'm hyped for it because it's Ridley Scott doing a sci-fi movie.

Alien and Blade Runner are masterpieces.

Thats all I need to get hyped. I enjoyed the trailer too.

He's also assembled a great cast for the movie.

Yen

I've avoided all the trailers except for the David-8 and TED 2023 viral videos. So hyped. Need a 2D screening, which may-or-may-not happen with my crappy local cinema.

Empty

i closed my eyes and stuck my fingers in the ears during the prometheus trailer playing before the avengers. i want to go is as fresh as possible.

Wilbur

Banned
I think I may have to see Prometheus on opening day.

The hype is really getting to me now.

I'm seeing it as soon as I possibly can. Rewatched Alien in the first time in forever, so fucking hyped.

Viva, it's Ridley Scott returning to the thing he is awesome for! He's made a lot of average to dross films but Alien is as good as any film ever made.

elsk

Banned
Doesn't Germany dub a lot of foreign films into German?

That never made sense to me. Subtitles are much better.

Thank God the guys in charge of that in Latin America learned that subtitles > dub. We only get dubbed versions of Disney animated/2d films (Pixar included) but they have an amazing dub team.

Clegg

Ordered our tickets for the 9.30pm showing at the Metro centre. Excited as fuck. Spent most of today sitting in the garden with Kopparberg, pizza and discussing Alien and Prometheus. Great day.

I think we're going to do a marathon of Ridley Scott films before we see Prometheus.

We have Blade Runner on Blu Ray so thats deffo getting watched in the next few days.

Alien and the Direcrors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven will also be watched.

Wilbur

Banned
I think we're going to do a marathon of Ridley Scott films before we see Prometheus.

We have Blade Runner on Blu Ray so thats deffo getting watched in the next few days.

Alien and the Direcrors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven will also be watched.

I haven't seen KoH yet but I have directors cut on Blu Ray.

Robin Hood was fucking dire though.

fuenf

Ordered my tickets today. Absolutely buzzing for it.

you arent making things any better :(

Doesn't Germany dub a lot of foreign films into German?

That never made sense to me. Subtitles are much better.

They dub everything. :( But usually that doesnt delay the release, i think they were just afraid of releasing it to close to the Euros.

The dub thing, well you get used to it. It's kinda hit or miss, but for some films i even prefer the dubbed version.

Clegg

you arent making things any better :(

They dub everything. :( But usually that doesnt delay the release, i think they were just afraid of releasing it to close to the Euros.

The dub thing, well you get used to it. It's kinda hit or miss, but for some films i even prefer the dubbed version.

Ireland and England are in the Euro's too but the film is being released on the 1st of June for us.

Seems like a strange double standard.

Carbonox

Holy shit that ITV advert with England winning every tournament as a build up to us winning Euro 2012 makes me physically sick. Disgusting and shameful. I'm truly offended. Has the media done anything worse than this in terms of building up hype? Cos I don't remember anything quite as awful.

fuenf

Ireland and England are in the Euro's too but the film is being released on the 1st of June for us.

Seems like a strange double standard.

Well since the 2006 World Cup Fan Fests are a really big thing in Germany. Everytime Germany plays in a big tournament hundreds of thousand gather in city squares / stadiums to watch the game together. It's a basicaly a giant party and extremely popular, especially with the young folgs. Maybe thats the reason..

Another reason might be that watching movies in a cinema just isnt that popular here. Avengers, for example, grossed just 24m compared to 32m in France and 71m in the UK.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Turns out that Graeme Souness, while Blackburn manager, received a payment of £30,000 from an offshore tax-free 'employee benefit trust' run by Rangers. Five weeks after Souness requested the payment from the trust, he completed the signing of Tugay and then later Barry Ferguson and Jean-Alain Boumsong, spending over £17 million in total on Rangers players.

The BBC has seen files which showed that HMRC suspected Mr Souness's payment could have been illegal in relation to the transfer of Tugay, but it found no additional documentation to verify it.

Mr Souness declined to respond to BBC Scotland's allegations.

Clegg

Well since the 2006 World Cup Fan Fests are a really big thing in Germany. Everytime Germany plays in a big tournament hundreds of thousand gather in city squares / stadiums to watch the game together. It's a basicaly a giant party and extremely popular, especially with the young folgs. Maybe thats the reason..

Another reason might be that watching movies in a cinema just isnt that popular here. Avengers, for example, grossed just 24m compared to 32m in France and 71m in the UK.

Thats sounds pretty cool.

I can see why things would be put on hold.

fuenf

Holy shit that ITV advert with England winning every tournament as a build up to us winning Euro 2012 makes me physically sick. Disgusting and shameful. I'm truly offended. Has the media done anything worse than this in terms of building up hype? Cos I don't remember anything quite as awful.

ROFL just looked it up on YouTube. That advert is the best thing ever! It's amazing how they ran out of meaningful events they could change after 96. :D

Turns out that Graeme Souness, while Blackburn manager, received a payment of £30,000 from an offshore tax-free 'employee benefit trust' run by Rangers. Five weeks after Souness requested the payment from the trust, he completed the signing of Tugay and then later Barry Ferguson and Jean-Alain Boumsong, spending over £17 million in total on Rangers players.

The BBC has seen files which showed that HMRC suspected Mr Souness's payment could have been illegal in relation to the transfer of Tugay, but it found no additional documentation to verify it.

Oh dear. This isn't good.

Doesn't sound good, although this payment he received the maximum tax he'd pay on it would be £15,000 (assuming he was an additional rate tax payer which at the time he would have been) seems odd to not just declare it.

Although he got 3 decent players for Blackburn out of it so I don't think he got ripped off at all.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Waiting for this USA v Scotland game to start at 1:30am is bizarre. I think I know how it feels to be an American or Aussie watching the EPL now.

Doesn't sound good, although this payment he received the maximum tax he'd pay on it would be £15,000 (assuming he was an additional rate tax payer which at the time he would have been) seems odd to not just declare it.

Although he got 3 decent players for Blackburn out of it so I don't think he got ripped off at all.
Not paying tax was kind of a thing for all David Murray related stuff at the time, really. It was probably his call rather than Souness', but the fact that the payment was made at all is more suspect.

But yeah, I wouldn't complain if I was a Rovers fan getting Tugay out of it! (Maybe not Ferguson :p)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The pre-match commentator just said Barry Bannan had a good year "despite his team being relegated", lol.

Man, I just remembered that Alex McLeish managed a Scotland squad that beat France twice in a row and drew with Italy. What was happening there? :lol

When this Levein disaster squad fails at another qualifying campaign we might get him back.. :|

The pre-match commentator just said Barry Bannan had a good year "despite his team being relegated", lol.

Man, I just remembered that Alex McLeish managed a Scotland squad that beat France twice in a row and drew with Italy. What was happening there? :lol

When this Levein disaster squad fails at another qualifying campaign we might get him back.. :|

Villa weren't relegated haha!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Yup, there we go. Woeful.

And I'm sure we'll come back into it with a single striker and Shaun 'glass man' Maloney playing behind him. It's a matter of how many now. :|

Edit: That was a good first save from McGregor at least, got a bit unlucky.

Matt Fortune of the Daily Mail;

Matt Fortune ‏@DMworldfootball
BREAKING NEWS: Roberto Martinez says he'll hold press conference on Tuesday to announce future. Expect to confirm Liverpool job is his #LFC

No idea if he's a reliable source or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom