• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

g9Rfw.gif

xbhaskarx

Why would he leave for a worse team than Chievo?
I was wondering the same thing in the US soccer thread...
Well Chievo finished 10th whereas Palermo finished 16th so would that really be a good move for Bradley? I know Chievo have like ten fans and are the second most popular team in Verona, but Palermo managed one road win. Hopefully Roma swoop in and pick him up instead...

Meier

Anyone have a link to updates of the game? ESPN inexplicably does not have them on the gamecast, just text for goals/cards.

Why would he leave for a worse team than Chievo?

I was wondering the same thing in the US soccer thread...

It's not like Palermo are usually a bottom league team (like Chievo). 6 points difference in one season does not suddenly make Chievo a better club that players would rather join than Palermo. Last season it was Coppa Italia finale, two seasons ago Palermo were 2 points away from champions league spot... So yeah, a lot more promising for any footballer to go there. Palermo and Zamparini wants to get back up there. This season there has just been too many changes and without sounding like doicare, there really has been a crazy amount of injuries to some of the most important players, like all first team defenders but one being injured at one point.

PaulLFC

Apparently Martinez will hold a press conference on Tuesday to announce whether he'll be taking the job as our manager or staying at Wigan.

Makes it sound like the end of a TV show episode or something, "tune in next week!"

xbhaskarx

rar: pasting from the US soccer thread...

Klinsmann on those who didn't make the camp:

Klinsmann also discussed some of the players who didn’t make the 27-player roster he called in, going into detail about the decision to not call in the likes of Eric Lichaj, Sacha Kljestan and Tim Ream.

“It came in too late for him, but it’s good that he broke in (at Aston Villa), “Klinsmann said of Lichaj. “If you look at certain positions, who are they kind of front-runners. Look at the central midfielder position. Michael Bradley, a Jermaine Jones, a Maurice Edu, a Kyle Beckerman.

“Then you have a Sacha Kljestan that you have to tell ‘You know what, sorry. You’ve had a good season but you’re not passing one of these four right now with their elements’. Then you don’t do them a favor to call them in.

“Like in Italy, it worked out great but we had to play (Kljestan) in a wide position and that’s not his position. He kind of sacrificed himself for the group,” Klinsmann said. “But now, bringing him here to be a fifth guy of two positions, then you’d rather him have a good break after a long season. That’s sort of how you juggle things with these players.”

Klinsmann wouldn’t come out and say that Lichaj was still behind the pack at fullback, but pointed to him needing more experience.

“All the outside positions we have a special eye on obviously,” Klinsmann said. “What he needs now is games. And Bedoya needs games. Who knows what happens now at Rangers. We have kids up in Scandinavia like Josh Gatt. We’ll observe it. That’s the good thing now about having Andy Hertzog and Mattias Hammann. They are all over the place in Europe. They go to those places. In Nordsdjaelland, they went to see Michael Parkhurst play against Clarence Goodson. It helps having a presence in Europe now with these guys, to look after them.”

Another player who was a bit of a surprising exclusion from the current camp was Bolton defender Tim Ream, who Klinsmann praised before revealing that, at the moment, he isn’t high enough on the depth chart for a call-up.

“Tim’s situation is similar to Sacha’s,” Klinsmann said. “They are players who are right there, but they can’t pass the four guys in front of them. Right now, Tim is not passing Gooch, Carlos, Clarence and Geoff Cameron. They are our four players locked in there as of today.

“I don’t know about tomorrow, but as of today that’s the situation,” Klinsmann said. “Now, if I put Tim on the standby list, he’s ready for the situation. I know if I called tomorrow, A.J. DeLaGarza or George John, they’re right here and get the job done.

“I told them, we observe everything, you deserve a big compliment, and we have you right in our sights. But the guys like Gooch and Boca, they’re not giving in right now.”

When asked about Freddy Adu, one of the standouts of the recent Under-23 Olympic Qualifying tournament, Klinsmann didn’t mince words about what the Philadelphia Union midfielder needs to do to earn a national team look.

“What we expect is that you put your stamp on your team, and there needs to come more,” Klinsmann said. “Freddy is not considered in that group because we need to see more. We need to see killer passes. We need to see goals. We need to see really creative elements because you’re an attacking midfielder.

“So you’re measured on what comes out at the end of the day. How many assists, how many goals you score. It’s not just playing.”

Pre

i haven't paid attention to the usmnt for awhile - why aren't lichaj, ream, and shea in the team?

Klinsmann rates other players at their positions higher right now. I'm okay with Ream and Shea being absent. I would have liked to have seen Lichaj.

Slizz

i haven't paid attention to the usmnt for awhile - why aren't lichaj, ream, and shea in the team?

I personally dislike Ream and think he's terrible so I don't care. MLS is still going on and Shea has looked terrible for Dallas the worst team in the MLS. Lichaj I have no clue.

Clegg

Apparently Martinez will hold a press conference on Tuesday to announce whether he'll be taking the job as our manager or staying at Wigan.

Makes it sound like the end of a TV show episode or something, "tune in next week!"

This is what Hazard has been doing.

Its getting rather annoying now.

rodvik

Dont worry Dave Whelan will fill us in ahead of time.

Messi

I thought it was great to see Puyol tying and waving the Catalan and Basque flags together after the Copa final. But this makes it even better. Such a nice story <3 Puyol.

timthumb.php

Following Friday&#8217;s 0-3 win in the Copa del Rey final, Catalan paper Mundo Deportivo picked up a touching story about one 8 year old Bilbao fan&#8217;s encounter with Carles Puyol and the flag that united the two of them.

It was a Basque flag that was being waved by Carles Puyol in the zone where the fans of Athletic sportingly applauded Barça while the blaugrana squad walked with the Copa del Rey trophy around the pitch of the Vicente Calderón stadium.

The captain, respectful of all rivals, but especially thoughtful when it comes to Basque clubs, knotted the flag around his waist and displayed it next to the Catalan Senyera during the entire celebration. But the Basque flag Puyol carried was not just any flag: it belonged to Ibai, an 8 year old boy who realized as the minutes passed what he was on the verge of losing. It was with this flag with that he had cheered on Athletic in San Mamés alongside his father, the flag with which they traveled to Manchester to experience a great night at Old Trafford, the flag which had wiped their tears in Bucharest and in Madrid, but also the flag which he has exhibited with pride during his trips to other matches and which he wanted to continue displaying at the future finals of his beloved team. For a boy who has witnessed the sensational season of the red and whites, overcoming the disappointment of the first few games, he does not have the same doubts that assail the adults: for him this season is not unrepeatable, they will reach more finals and Athletic will win.

Will Carles Puyol keep the Basque flag?

Ibai was excited to see Puyol on the pitch with his flag, but when he missed his flag he became disconsolate and began to cry. And his father, because for someone from Bilbao nothing is impossible, understood that this was a challenge that would have to be dealt with. The two went to the area where, after 1 in the morning, the players from both teams headed to their respective buses. Among a swarm of people behind the fences and police horses, he tried to get himself heard until Athletic&#8217;s bus driver understood his message. The message was then passed to the driver of Barça&#8217;s bus. And between the two they explained to Puyol what had happened. Ibai and his father, with the permission of both clubs to pass through the police barrier, had already reached the captain of Barça, but the most important thing was still missing. Had he saved the flag? Had he lost it in the locker room festivities or given it away to another Athletic fan at random?

And when Puyol got off of the buss with the flag in his hand, Ibai&#8217;s face lit up for the first time since Pedro&#8217;s early goal in the final. Puyi gave him a kiss, a hug, and posed with him for photographs, he was so affectionate that the child was moved. He could not say a word, just trembled, but his gaze gave heartfelt thanks. And one day in the not so distant future, when he celebrates a title with Athletic, he will remember Puyol as a friend, never as a rival.

147-480x195.jpg

044159e6e0b6bbae9a223ead74efee75883a7b7.gif

Slizz

Anyone watching UFC 146 tonight? All HW's on the main card. Could lead to some early finishes.... Love JDS and Mir both, JDS has a great story but I like Mir breaking limbs...

EDIT: Also kinda crazy, guy I used to play Little League baseball with is now the first Brazilian-born MLB player. Dude was super talented and now hes starting in the majors.... Name is Yan Gomes, plays for the Toronto Blue Jays.

Clegg

I'm finding it harder and harder to get myself interested in MMA.

I loved it when Fedor and Cro Cop were killing people and when Lesnar was the most hated man in the sport. Now I just can't get excited for it.

I appreciate GSP for his excellence but his fights are boring. Anderson Silva isn't as good as he used to be either. Overeem turned out to be a useless roider so I can't give 2 shits about him either.

Jon Jones is the shit though.

And Fedor is the GOAT.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
That gif is frightening.

I'm astounded by our ball movement in this game. Don't remember seeing us move up the pitch like this.

Another goal for Donovan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom